Sign in to follow this  
Goblin

Why the Halo Channel is a bullshit excuse for a Spectator Mode

I know this is late, but I’ve had shit to do before I could write this shotty of an opinion piece up in a timely fashion. I still see The Halo Channel news relevant, even if none of you do.

Now before you go reading this post, this is strictly looking at this feature from a tournament organizer/event runner perspective. Because this by no means makes broadcasting tournaments easier and sticking to the current system that is used is to broadcast tournaments is the better option than this.

Now, as the title says. It’s fucking bullshit. What is so hard to put in a spectator/broadcaster mode like Call of Duty has, or like League of Legends has. Why do you have to put your own stupid fucking twist on it? Is it because Daddy-Microsoft has got your ass bent over with the belt? Ready to slap your ass if you don’t do something “different” than something that isn’t broken and doesn’t need fixing? *cough* Call of Dutys Spectator Formula *cough*.

Like really, you have to give props to that franchises spec mode. It’s honestly the best way to go about it on consoles. You have all 8 players on their own section of the screen, mini map of the map, and full size gameplay, oh and seamless transitions to another player's PoV. Sure, you don’t get the Rage Cam like we use to in Halo 2-4, but we also don’t have to fucking back out of a stream, let that load (based on the internet connection) then select another, and let that load (again based on internet connection). Assuming the venue a Halo tournament is held has best-case-scenario-internet, it’s still not intuitive enough. Back out to select another players PoV: Lose game time for spectators of the stream.

Don’t get me wrong, The Halo Channel is actually such a sick idea, just not for tournaments. It’s a perfect application for the at-home gamers who want to stream or watch others stream via Xbox One. But to use this as a “spectator system” is complete and utter horse shit. I don’t care that they even said “While this isn’t a fully fledged spectator mode that a lot of people are wanting for Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Halo 5: Guardians, it is at least a step in the right direction”. No, it’s not a step in the right direction. This is Microsoft using it’s powers of funding the game, to push their social aspect of shit for Halo.

All we have asked for the past 3 god damn years is a spectator mode. It’s not hard. It can be patched into the fucking game(s).

Anyway, I’m done. Neg me. Rep me. idgaf. I seen that and was more pissed than excited about it.

OKAYBYE

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 12

Putting 5 different spectator modes into MCC is a tall order and not a realistic expectation.

Putting one into Halo 5 is a different story.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Putting 5 different spectator modes into MCC is a tall order and not a realistic expectation.

Putting one into Halo 5 is a different story.

^

H5 will have it. MCC we knew months ago there wasn't one, and the Halo Channel "broadcaster mode" will do for the next year. 

• Upvote (+1) 3