Brutality

Why The Halo Channel IS a Spectator Mode

You're not making a great case for us optimists here Kenny because 100 x nothing = nothing.

You know what I mean lol

Okay I'll admit it the title was clickbait.

Don't hurt me.

Thread is getting tweeted out. The bait works lol

Twitch on XB1 is so much better than Twitch on the 360, you can transition from the game or App you are using to Twitch seamlessly so I could definitely see more people using it regularly.

The stats and kill feed is pretty awesome as well, and it looks like you can switch POV's.

Doju wins the thread.

Close it down folks.

TBH I would have thought spec mode would be easier to do than this feature.

This is what's bugging me, actually. 

Agreed 100%.

What worries me is that it looks like they are putting a lot of effort into the Halo Channel as well as the Twitch partnership.

I hope they don't try to carry the Halo Channels live stat/Twitch integration from MCC over to Halo 5 instead of putting in an actual spectator mode.

That would be devastating to the competitive LAN experience and would takeaway all the work (1080p, 60fps, fair starts, arena style, etc.) it seems they are putting in.

I'm sorry but as someone of regularly watches Dota 2 and CS:GO tournaments using their spectator client, this statement is laughable to me...

The Halo channel is cool, I like the idea, but it is not the answer.

Here is the answer.

• In game spectator mode, not a 3rd party app.
  • Scroll through every players POV
  • See a minimap with realtime player movement from both teams
  • Scoreboard
  • Time limit
  • Tie some halo lore into it, make my boy guilty spark be the spectator and buzz around the map

Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-II-streaming.png

• Upvote (+1) 4

You have to yourselves in their shoes. How hard must be to implement spectator mode to those old games. You have to probably re code the damn thing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Here is the answer.

• Scoreboard
  • Time limit

Doubt they could do it in this game. Halo 5 it has to be in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here is the answer.

• Scoreboard
  • Time limit

The answer comes with Halo 5 and we all know it. I see The Halo Channel as a temporary, slightly bootleg solution until then. Again, like everyone has been saying, this is way better than nothing at all.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can't believe after everything we've had today, people are still trying to find holes in it. No, this Halo Channel thing isn't perfect, but as some people have said, it's MUCH better than what we were expecting (nothing). 

I actually think this whole system is pretty clever and complex tbh. I have no idea how this whole "stat tracking" thing works but I'd love to know more. Implementing an in-game fully functional spectator mode into a game that's 10 years old would probably be a major pain in the ass, so I'm not at all surprised that it's not really possible. Let's be honest, we got through like 8 years of MLG tournaments without a spectator mode, I'm sure 1 more year until Halo 5 won't hurt too much. 

I do agree though that time changing between streams could be an issue, especially when the action is really fast paced. Could end up looking slightly amateur when it's used. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

You have to yourselves in their shoes. How hard must be to implement spectator mode to those old games. You have to probably re code the damn thing.

And how does this stop spec mode in H2A?

CS GO spec mode, even better than CODs.

tbh, having a spectator mode in a game with only 6 maps (like 2 or 3 of which are competitive) would be pretty useless anyway. would be annoying to actually have a spectator mode that people won't use because everyone's playing Halo 2 Classic, CE or Halo 3.

CS GO is on the way of being like Dota 2 in terms of spectator experience : multiple choices of in-game casters, being able to watch your friends playing live, having a coach in your party....

CS GO is on the way of being like Dota 2 in terms of spectator experience : multiple choices of in-game casters, being able to watch your friends playing live, having a coach in your party....

I actually think Dota is abit shit/confusing to watch, but thats more to do with the game itself than the actual spec mode.

Coach mode is excellent though.

I actually think Dota is abit shit/confusing to watch, but thats more to do with the game itself than the actual spec mode.

Coach mode is excellent though.

It's amazing once you understand what's going on and that can take months of playing and watching, unlike watching an FPS...

It's amazing once you understand what's going on and that can take months of playing and watching, unlike watching an FPS...

Nah I meant just little things like the art style makes it harder to see things, the top down view of the map harder to see, the player names UI can be confusing too.

I don't ever remember GOTV looking that awful. There isn't a definitive spectator mode in FPS to go off yet, I mean CSGO literally updated theirs last week to introduce concepts like bringing broadcast options and statistics into the client, not just in broadcasted twitch streams.

csgo_caster_options.png

Halo is in a much different situation though, for 5 completely separate games they weren't even going to attempt in engine spec modes. This system, should it work how it's supposed to, provides the basic required functionality that is needed and it saves the community a job. More importantly it's the acknowledgement that this aspect of the game is a requirement, which means for future titles we'll see a fully fleshed out spectator mode.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

How is the quality of the stream when you stream from the Xbox One to Twitch?

It's 720p at 30 frames per second with 2.5mb. Streaming from a capture card still has benefits like 60fps and a higher Mb, but I imagine ease of use through the xbone could over power the benefits.

It isn't a true spectator mode but it's better then nothing.

Lets just hope Halo 5 will have a true spectator mode. 

And if we dont then "we dont need one because MLG"