Sign in to follow this  
TriStateTryHard

Spawn System

Randomness vs Predictability

Should the spawn system be 100% predictable, 100% random, or something in between?

Should there be player controlled random spawns like in CE or should the game pick a group of spawns based on enemy locations then randomly choose one spawn point from the predetermined group?

How would your ideal spawn system work?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The spawn system needs to be predictable with random spawns being controlled by the player...just like good ol CE. If we have no clue where players will spawn at any given time (unless it was done on purpose by a player) then the game becomes 15 minutes of guessing.....that's bad for competition.

My ideal spawn system would be h1's 2v2 spawns tweaked to work with bigger team sizes.

My ideal spawn system would be h1's 2v2 spawns tweaked to work with bigger team sizes.

Something like if you cycle through allies on your death screen you can select one to be a spawn buddy. If a player already has a spawn buddy you won't be able to select that player and there'll be a HUD element to show that.

The idea would probably need a bit more fleshing out (what happens when you aren't partnered with someone, or how does the game handle partnering players at the beginning of a match etc.

Anyway, something similar to the Invasion system with CE's nuances and a bit more control given to the players is what I'm imagining.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If there are random spawns, how should they be triggered?

If random spawns are triggered by teammate location, should these areas be labeled in some way?

If random spawns are triggered by teammate location, should these areas be labeled in some way?

Random spawns should be triggered if there is literally no other option left.

In H1 the way they worked is you would get a random if the game couldn't find an unblocked spawn in the general vicinity of your teammate. You'd also get randoms if you were all down, or at least the first person to spawn in would get one.

Anyways, I think player location based spawns are definitely the way to go, as the potential meta around that kind of system (see: H1) is far deeper than death location based spawns (see: every other Halo game).

• Upvote (+1) 2

There should be certain areas on the map where you can spawn, but not exact places.
Kinda like a selected circle, so you can spawn anywhere in the circle instead of precise spawn points.

I feel like Halo 3 did it well. Minus spawning on your teammate when they're in a fight, that should never happen in my opinion.

I feel like Halo 3 did it well. Minus spawning on your teammate when they're in a fight, that should never happen in my opinion.

well it's bad in halo 3 because it usually doesn't happen and on the off chance it does it will always take you by surprise.

If you always spawned by ur teammate in halo3, you would know to throw a grenade there and you would pick up the easy double

well it's bad in halo 3 because it usually doesn't happen and on the off chance it does it will always take you by surprise.

If you always spawned by ur teammate in halo3, you would know to throw a grenade there and you would pick up the easy double

Yea it's rare, but it when it happens, it happens at the worst times.

I think the spawns worked well in h3 and Halo reach. I never had much of an issue with those settings (in the mlg settings). I wasn't around for halo CE or the online multiplayer of H2.

The spawn system needs to be predictable with random spawns being controlled by the player...just like good ol CE. If we have no clue where players will spawn at any given time (unless it was done on purpose by a player) then the game becomes 15 minutes of guessing.....that's bad for competition.

I like this!

I hate random spawns. If a team is getting spawn trapped, it's simply because the opposition team is more skilled, random spawns give the less skilled players a chance in an unfair way in my opinion. You could get a set up and start spawn trapping, then you're suddenly getting shot in the back, so the guy gets an easy kill.

I suggested a new spawn system that would enable the spawning of players out of sight of enemies, yet within the zones that are out of sight of enemies the selection of spawn point would be entirely random. The only influence would be a boolean flag for each zone - either there is an enemy in the zone or there is not.

The idea would be to let players spawn out of sight, but the zone(s) that they spawn in can be predictable to a large degree. But then again the larger the zone, the less predictable at which end of the zone they might spawn at.

Unfortunately I have not heard back from 343 Industries, so I have no reason to believe they are entertaining the paradigm.

But you never know...

I suggested a new spawn system that would enable the spawning of players out of sight of enemies, yet within the zones that are out of sight of enemies the selection of spawn point would be entirely random. The only influence would be a boolean flag for each zone - either there is an enemy in the zone or there is not.

Unfortunately I have not heard back from 343 Industries, so I have no reason to believe they are entertaining the paradigm.

But you never know...

They entertained my idea for a gun that fires shots that bounce off walls, but not everything else. I think their priorities are a bit misplaced.

OT: The opposing team should never spawn behind you relative to the direction of your advance. If they're on the blue team, they better damn well spawn near the blue base. On circular flow maps like Haven (used only because it's the most easily identifiable as such), two "zones" of spawning may be chosen but it should be generally predictable to the extent that you know at least which direction they spawned in as opposed to hoping they aren't suddenly in prime real-estate that they didn't earn through map control.

I hate random spawns. If a team is getting spawn trapped, it's simply because the opposition team is more skilled, random spawns give the less skilled players a chance in an unfair way in my opinion. You could get a set up and start spawn trapping, then you're suddenly getting shot in the back, so the guy gets an easy kill.

This is also what dynamic spawning introduces when a team pushes against the enemy base too hard. the team being pushed against all of the sudden spawn behind the aggressive team and flanks them from behind. Rewarding the lesser skill and r-e-t-a-r-d-i-n-g the more aggressive pushes against the enemy base. (note that what I am describing is not random spawning but entirely predictable.)

In H1 the way they worked is you would get a random if the game couldn't find an unblocked spawn in the general vicinity of your teammate. You'd also get randoms if you were all down, or at least the first person to spawn in would get one.

Anyways, I think player location based spawns are definitely the way to go, as the potential meta around that kind of system (see: H1) is far deeper than death location based spawns (see: every other Halo game).

I don't know much about h2 or h3 but I was under the impression reach was the only title that used death as the primary influence. H4 uses enemy as the primary influence.

I think it needs to be mostly predictable. I don't like the fact that I play Heretic and Amp TS nowadays and ask myself every time we're getting kills "Given where myself and the rest of my team is postitioned, what is the worst place they could spawn?", and that's usually where they end up spawning. Heretic's not as bad about it as Amplified is, but yeah.