Sign in to follow this  
elitenoob94

What was your first MLG Event/LAN

Ended up teaming with 2 online warriors, so, we got knocked out in two rounds.

Both my roommate and myself had our brand new laptops stolen out of our rooms, which I believe was due to a faulty door from the hotel and of course the hotel didn't cover shit.

Ended up having to cover people who said they were going to stay in my hotel room with me, so, my bill was double what it should have been.

It was incredibly boring once I got knocked out and literally had nothing to do. MLG didn't provide much entertainment if you weren't competing. Watching the pro's was alright, but I would have rather been at home listening to Pucket. LAN'ed a little bit with some friends  in their room but I just didn't care after we got knocked out.

So, overall, I lost about $2,000 that weekend, and just sat around for 2 days basically doing nothing. I just wasn't impressed with MLG and the event personally.

Oh, and I had to sleep in the airport on concrete because my flight didn't leave until early Monday morning.

Oh no, I'm sorry man.  That's horrible.  Few things piss me off quite like a thief.

The only MLG event I've ever competed in, I went with 3 local guys that were horrible.  I worked with one at Best Buy, and we talked about Halo occasionally.  One day he invited me over to play at his place when he had 2 friends over to make a to4, and we played regular, non-MLG MM and dominated. This was in January 2012, a few months before MLG Columbus, the only v7 tournament.  Towards the end of the night, my coworker, Mark, proposed the idea that we enter the tournament.  I had reffed the entire 08 season, and I knew our team was dogshit by MLG standards, but I had always wanted to play in one and never had the opportunity.  So I said fuck it, lets do it.  I took it as a personal challenge to get this rag-tag group of casuals ready for an MLG tournament.  We set up a practice schedule and got together at Mark's twice a week for two months to practice.  We made a lot of progress, which I'm actually quite proud of.  But by the time tournament time came, we got fucking smoked.  Friday was FFA all day to seed the 4v4.  I was the only one to make it to FFA R2.  Two of our guys finished 8th in FFA R1, and one guy barely missed advancing by 1 kill, finishing 5th in R1.  So our seed was crap.  We went 2 and out, 0-4.  All that work for exactly nothing.  But it was the most fun I've ever had playing Halo.  I loved that our games felt like they mattered, and I could see our team getting better with every practice.  Unfortunately it was just too steep of a hill to climb in such a short time.  I just wish we could have won one game.  My guys deserved to taste victory after all the work they put in.  I'd love to do it again some day.

Oh no, I'm sorry man.  That's horrible.  Few things piss me off quite like a thief.

The only MLG event I've ever competed in, I went with 3 local guys that were horrible.  I worked with one at Best Buy, and we talked about Halo occasionally.  One day he invited me over to play at his place when he had 2 friends over to make a to4, and we played regular, non-MLG MM and dominated. This was in January 2012, a few months before MLG Columbus, the only v7 tournament.  Towards the end of the night, my coworker, Mark, proposed the idea that we enter the tournament.  I had reffed the entire 08 season, and I knew our team was dogshit by MLG standards, but I had always wanted to play in one and never had the opportunity.  So I said fuck it, lets do it.  I took it as a personal challenge to get this rag-tag group of casuals ready for an MLG tournament.  We set up a practice schedule and got together at Mark's twice a week for two months to practice.  We made a lot of progress, which I'm actually quite proud of.  But by the time tournament time came, we got fucking smoked.  Friday was FFA all day to seed the 4v4.  I was the only one to make it to FFA R2.  Two of our guys finished 8th in FFA R1, and one guy barely missed advancing by 1 kill, finishing 5th in R1.  So our seed was crap.  We went 2 and out, 0-4.  All that work for exactly nothing.  But it was the most fun I've ever had playing Halo.  I loved that our games felt like they mattered, and I could see our team getting better with every practice.  Unfortunately it was just too steep of a hill to climb in such a short time.  I just wish we could have won one game.  My guys deserved to taste victory after all the work they put in.  I'd love to do it again some day.

See, at least you were playing with decent friends and working towards a goal. I thought I was good back then, which I think I was okay, a low level MLG player, but I could hang with amateurs, except I sucked online, and that was because of my connection which ended making me a beast on LAN because I was playing the same exact way but I was killing faster and getting more kills than I normally did.

I made the mistake though of letting my good friend pick our other two teammates who were decent online, but terrible on LAN. We lost both series 2-1, so at least we didn't get completely rektd.

It's just unfortunate that Columbus turned out the way it did; it left a sour taste in my mouth which was upsetting in of itself because I was such a die hard MLG fan and I thought this was going to be the glory of all Halo and it really wasn't. I also think had I made more friends or tried to connect with more people on the forums it would have been better though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My first was MLG Columbus, for Halo reach. Went with a last minute team, no pratice, but I wanted to compete. Didn't go anywhere. Was also my last event since they decided to drop halo from the circuit. Even though everyone was crazy that event. Looking forward to them maybe bringing it back.

On the upside, I went bar hopping all night and closed down the hotel bar :p

• Upvote (+1) 1