Doju

Halo Fest

This idea came up a few months ago, the idea of  Halo fest for all things Halo competitive wise, and including all the wacky stuff like race/grifball/Halo 4, kinda similar to a multi game FGC event.

We have the games

We have the LAN tools

Surely this is a realistic idea now? I know a few community members mentioned the idea, and I know a few who would be willing to chip in. Halo needs a grassroots/community/non mlg.tv event, surely this is it?

Thoughts?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Good idea but execution is key. I have faith in the community. I also agree on the grassroots aspect.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Possible but I'm not sure how realistic. Walk before you can run and all that jazz.

First thing I'd like to see is that UGC event community prize pool get ripped a new one. $1,555 is good but we're so much better.

Possible but I'm not sure how realistic. Walk before you can run and all that jazz.

First thing I'd like to see is that UGC event community prize pool get ripped a new one. $1,555 is good but we're so much better.

They would make ALOT more if we somehow got the Halo twitter to tweet it out. The shirt designs are really good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well lets crawl before we walk and get some planning out of the way. We can find out how much it would cost easily.

• Venue
  • Consoles
  • Games
  • Prizes

The hardest thing to gauge is probably attendance. It could be huge or a tiny turnout. We also have to discuss Settings which I'd imagine would be the latest competitive settings for said game. This could get messy however because the reason why Ball was removed was because it wasn't entertaining enough at the MLG events and Bomb was removed for other reasons and KoTH too. If this is completely community ran and time isn't an issue and neither is crowd noise level then I would like to see the return of these gametypes and more maps/gametypes added to the rotation list and not just a set 11.

Time is also an issue. Most people could spare a weekened but if we have say 84 teams show up but we have three games going that is going to take 3x the amount of time. Which would probably work out fine for a three day event. But if we were to double that number it would pushing a week worth of time. There are ways around setting time restrictions to 15 instead of 30, single elimination, forfeit rules, best of 3, etc. I for one would be against single elimination and best of three. It's a community event and the reason why we show up is to get as many games in as possible.

One of the bigger issues is what do we use? It would be very hard to scrape up enough money to buy or rent (and insure if renting) the xbox one. We could probably buy, donate, rent, the xbox and 360 way cheaper. This brings up another issue the Halo 2 DLC disk. I personally have one but it would take the better part of a day to get make sure every xbox is loaded and ready to go. We could mod the old xbox though Halo CE and Halo 2 forever and wouldn't have to ever do use the disk again. There is one last probably with this approach though. All of the old xbox controllers maybe they are in stock in some warehouse and we could get a bunch for real cheap or maybe we are out of luck.

Location. Location. Location. Where would we have this? It is much cheaper to rent a place in the middle of nowhere than it is to rent in Las Vegas. Which place is it cheaper to travel? Where would we get the most participation?

Personally I could probably donate a couple hundred of dollars but my biggest donation would be in time. Setting up and connecting switches, routers, consoles.

Any other opinions, ideas, or suggestions? This would be awesome if we could get this rolling in the form of open discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just recently reading about Quakecon http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/18/5913867/quakecon-2014-lan-party-hardware-noc and their BYOC(Bring your own Computer) policy sounds pretty awesome. I have always wanted to attend a giant LAN like Quakecon, sounds so much fun these days in the age of High-speed internet gaming.

Why restrict it to Halo or even this generation console games? Why not Halo, Smash, CoD,Mario Cart,Gears, ect.. whatever you can LAN. That will make the audience for the event SOOO much larger and more diverse. Alot of console gamers started MP gaming on LAN so I think we would get an overwhelming reaction from gamers for a giant community LAN event like this. The focus would be Halo of course, but I dont see why we should restrict it to Halo if people want to bring other games too for their console.

RTX would prob be the best venue, unless MLG or 343 is willing to step in and give us a venue. Why? Because everyone in the community knows Rooster Teeth, they have past experience in holding community events, and I am pretty sure the venue would be big enough.

It would take a giant team of volunteers and months of prep for something like to happen, but its certainly possible and the interest would be there.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just recently reading about Quakecon http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/18/5913867/quakecon-2014-lan-party-hardware-noc and their BYOC(Bring your own Computer) policy sounds pretty awesome. I have always wanted to attend a giant LAN like Quakecon, sounds so much fun these days in the age of High-speed internet gaming.

Why restrict it to Halo or even this generation console games? Why not Halo, Smash, CoD,Mario Cart,Gears, ect.. whatever you can LAN. That will make the audience for the event SOOO much larger and more diverse. Alot of console gamers started MP gaming on LAN so I think we would get an overwhelming reaction from gamers for a giant community LAN event like this. The focus would be Halo of course, but I dont see why we should restrict it to Halo if people want to bring other games too for their console.

RTX would prob be the best venue, unless MLG or 343 is willing to step in and give us a venue. Why? Because everyone in the community knows Rooster Teeth, they have past experience in holding community events, and I am pretty sure the venue would be big enough.

It would take a giant team of volunteers and months of prep for something like to happen, but its certainly possible and the interest would be there.

I like the BYOC. That would cut down in expenses tremendously.

To play devils advocate I could see a few potential cons to having multiple games over multiple genres. It could introduce variables that any tournament organizer (from within this community) could not forsee. As example, say I was strictly from the Mario Kart community, I've dabbled in other nintendo games but never other consoles. If I was holding this event I probably would not know about needing the pre patch and needing the DLC disc for Halo 2. This would be vice versa to what I know about other communities games.

Another problem would be floor space. We only need and would only be able to afford some much square footage. At some point there would be a tipping point where the cost versus floor space ratio wouldn't be worth it.

What if the Venue where in a No name town? Rent space would be dirt cheap. Just a suggested.

I agree the planning process could and should take as long as necessary.

Theres always the chance you can have side games, and nobody will stop you bringing other games.

RTX is insanely expensive. 

Well lets crawl before we walk and get some planning out of the way. We can find out how much it would cost easily.

• Venue
  • Consoles
  • Games
  • Prizes

The hardest thing to gauge is probably attendance. It could be huge or a tiny turnout. We also have to discuss Settings which I'd imagine would be the latest competitive settings for said game. This could get messy however because the reason why Ball was removed was because it wasn't entertaining enough at the MLG events and Bomb was removed for other reasons and KoTH too. If this is completely community ran and time isn't an issue and neither is crowd noise level then I would like to see the return of these gametypes and more maps/gametypes added to the rotation list and not just a set 11.

Time is also an issue. Most people could spare a weekened but if we have say 84 teams show up but we have three games going that is going to take 3x the amount of time. Which would probably work out fine for a three day event. But if we were to double that number it would pushing a week worth of time. There are ways around setting time restrictions to 15 instead of 30, single elimination, forfeit rules, best of 3, etc. I for one would be against single elimination and best of three. It's a community event and the reason why we show up is to get as many games in as possible.

One of the bigger issues is what do we use? It would be very hard to scrape up enough money to buy or rent (and insure if renting) the xbox one. We could probably buy, donate, rent, the xbox and 360 way cheaper. This brings up another issue the Halo 2 DLC disk. I personally have one but it would take the better part of a day to get make sure every xbox is loaded and ready to go. We could mod the old xbox though Halo CE and Halo 2 forever and wouldn't have to ever do use the disk again. There is one last probably with this approach though. All of the old xbox controllers maybe they are in stock in some warehouse and we could get a bunch for real cheap or maybe we are out of luck.

Location. Location. Location. Where would we have this? It is much cheaper to rent a place in the middle of nowhere than it is to rent in Las Vegas. Which place is it cheaper to travel? Where would we get the most participation?

Personally I could probably donate a couple hundred of dollars but my biggest donation would be in time. Setting up and connecting switches, routers, consoles.

Any other opinions, ideas, or suggestions? This would be awesome if we could get this rolling in the form of open discussion.

-Settings are literally the last thing you would discuss. Ball was removed from Reach because it didnt work, not because it sucked.

-Will have to be 3/4 days. Tournaments ran on a smaller scale since there are multiple games. Sacrifices have to be made at some point, and youre most likely going to be playing other games anways.

-Consoles will be a mixture of renting from various sources and BYOC. Community event requires community effort.

-Location with Halo pretty much means mid west or North east.

Each individual community (think comp, btb, girffball, forgers) have their own network of sponsors who would help.

RTX is insanely expensive. 

This. Especially now that Rooster Teeth is using the bigger part of the Austin Convention Center. This is why communities like Grifballhub has set up kickstarters for RTX to pay for their booth, equipment, and merchandise, but to be honest this kind of event would probably be best delivered at something like RTX with fundraisers and sponsorships with maybe the Grand Finals of each type of game played on the RTX Main Stage on throughout Sunday. Would be hard to organize something like that with everything else that happens on the main stage though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This. Especially now that Rooster Teeth is using the bigger part of the Austin Convention Center. This is why communities like Grifballhub has set up kickstarters for RTX to pay for their booth, equipment, and merchandise, but to be honest this kind of event would probably be best delivered at something like RTX with fundraisers and sponsorships with maybe the Grand Finals of each type of game played on the RTX Main Stage on throughout Sunday. Would be hard to organize something like that with everything else that happens on the main stage though.

Id wipe out RTX as a possibility due to the cost and the fact that it needs a larger size than what, say, IG had.

A fundraiser will probably have to be done at some point.

@@Teapot

• Upvote (+1) 1

I plan on doing a Halo 1-3 Doubles Tournament at my local when MCC launches.  Each team is automatically entered into all three games, and we're gonna stream it.  Nothing to big, just a local LAN, but multi-Halo events like this hopefully become a standard elsewhere.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Other random shite you could have there

-Book related things

-Halo podcasts doing live shows

-Creative forgers hosting wacky custom game tourneys (like indiana jones)

-Race

-Infection

-Halo 5 related hype shit

-Lore related stuff

-Griffball tourneys

-Q and A's with known personalities, we could get cT since he's pretty mainstream now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

RTX is the closest thing we have to a Halo Fest right now. There are a few other positives to expanding Halo's prescence at RTX:

• RTX is already the single biggest gathering of Halo fans. It has the best ratio of Halo fans:Non-fans.
  • The Rooster Teeth guys are Halo guys. They've treated us extremely well when we've exhibited there the past two years. I know Grifballers have a special relationship with RT given the sport's origins, but I think RT would be willing to extend some help (discounts) for a Halo Fest undertaking.
  • 343 is already 100% on board for RTX. They've exhibited there the past three years. Halo 4 was first playable at RTX in 2012. If there was some sort of bigger Halo fan prescence at RTX, 343 would almost certainly be on board to support it.

If this is something people really want to tackle, be sure to plan early and budget accordingly. If nothing else, I'd love to see a Team Beyond booth at RTX next year, where there can be LAN events and merch sold, like the GrifballHub booth this year.

Other random shite you could have there

-Book related things

-Halo podcasts doing live shows

-Creative forgers hosting wacky custom game tourneys (like indiana jones)

-Race

-Infection

-Halo 5 related hype shit

-Lore related stuff

-Griffball tourneys

-Q and A's with known personalities, we could get cT since he's pretty mainstream now.

4-man FFA best of 3:

• Shotguns-no-Shields on Wizard
  • Invisible Plasma Rifle Kill-in-Order on Longest
  • Super-Tanky Rockets and Infinite Grenades King of the Hill on Derelict

Add swat as well, they are a surprisingly big sub community.

About time Halo stop being segregated and helped each other.

RTX is the closest thing we have to a Halo Fest right now. There are a few other positives to expanding Halo's prescence at RTX:

• RTX is already the single biggest gathering of Halo fans. It has the best ratio of Halo fans:Non-fans.
  • The Rooster Teeth guys are Halo guys. They've treated us extremely well when we've exhibited there the past two years. I know Grifballers have a special relationship with RT given the sport's origins, but I think RT would be willing to extend some help (discounts) for a Halo Fest undertaking.
  • 343 is already 100% on board for RTX. They've exhibited there the past three years. Halo 4 was first playable at RTX in 2012. If there was some sort of bigger Halo fan prescence at RTX, 343 would almost certainly be on board to support it.

If this is something people really want to tackle, be sure to plan early and budget accordingly. If nothing else, I'd love to see a Team Beyond booth at RTX next year, where there can be LAN events and merch sold, like the GrifballHub booth this year.

Reckon you could throw out this thread/idea to people you know in your community and see how they feel about it/willing to chat about it.

I plan on doing a Halo 1-3 Doubles Tournament at my local when MCC launches.  Each team is automatically entered into all three games, and we're gonna stream it.  Nothing to big, just a local LAN, but multi-Halo events like this hopefully become a standard elsewhere.

I'm actually going to be doing the same thing when mcc comes out. Going to hopefully be hosting it around december and I know the omaha local smash community does the same thing. So I'm getting input from those guys so I'm ready to do regularly roll tier halo tournaments in omaha. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't 343 do a Halo Fest once? What ever happened to that, thought it was going to be annual.

Bungie did it for Halo Reach and 343 did one for H4 I think. Both were pre launch events.

Edit:Bungie did one for Reach in 2010 and 343 did one in 2011 for CEA.

"Halo Fest" at PAX only happened once in 2011. It was put on by 343 for Halo's 10th anniversary. There weren't any plans for it to be an annual thing.

We need a competitive game 

And MLG comes too us :)

For fucks sake.

Community effort, not sucking MLGs tit. And, its for all sub communities.

• Upvote (+1) 5

This idea came up a few months ago, the idea of  Halo fest for all things Halo competitive wise, and including all the wacky stuff like race/grifball/Halo 4, kinda similar to a multi game FGC event.

We have the games

We have the LAN tools

Surely this is a realistic idea now? I know a few community members mentioned the idea, and I know a few who would be willing to chip in. Halo needs a grassroots/community/non mlg.tv event, surely this is it?

Thoughts?

To big of an event to be a grassroots