Sign in to follow this  
ZerueLX11

Toxikk Thread

Toxikk is out! Will competitive Arena FPS have a new game that will stand out? Let's frag!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Toxikk is out! Will competitive Arena FPS have a new game that will stand out? Let's frag!

Been playing it for a few hours now.

It has potential, but it has a long ways to go.

One thing is obvious right off the bat, which would be that the Cerberus is god-tier.

Been playing it for a few hours now.

It has potential, but it has a long ways to go.

One thing is obvious right off the bat, which would be that the Cerberus is god-tier.

It's version 0.7 in a BETA, I think by release it'll be amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This game is amazing so far. Only 1 map right now, but the base game mechanics are satisfying and the overall experience is incredibly polished. I'll be streaming it all day today if you guys want to check it out, I'd highly recommend it for only $17 on steam.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm reluctant to take anyone's word for that for two reasons

1) The better you get at FPS the more the weapon balance shifts towards hitscan weapons and away from projectile explosives

2) The UT rocket launcher was overwhelmingly agreed to be useless by people who were actually good at UT. Despite the weapon on paper being way more powerful than Quake rockets the dodge jump mechanics make it virtually impossible to ever get hit by a direct rocket.

I'm reluctant to take anyone's word for that for two reasons

1) The better you get at FPS the more the weapon balance shifts towards hitscan weapons and away from projectile explosives

2) The UT rocket launcher was overwhelmingly agreed to be useless by people who were actually good at UT. Despite the weapon on paper being way more powerful than Quake rockets the dodge jump mechanics make it virtually impossible to ever get hit by a direct rocket.

Good points! I personally think the rocket launcher could use a blast radius reduction but things should even out soon.

Good points! I personally think the rocket launcher could use a blast radius reduction but things should even out soon.

I would say a damage reduction would make more sense, the blast radius is probably huge to account for dodging

I really can't say for sure though, I heard too many negatives about the early access to pick up it on release like that

When they fix the various CFG file bugs and add more modes than literally 1 FFA map then I'll check it out

The fact that the mouse accel bug managed to go unnoticed for this long is however really disturbing and a possible indication that the devs don't know what they're doing

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just picked up this game, and I have to say I LOVE it. It is my first time playing a classic style arena shooter (besides halo CE) I really hope that this game gets attention from the esports scene so that this game can grow.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Definitely better than what I expected from so little content, have to play it more still but the movement+weapons(very UT2k4-like) feel like sex in this game and you can clearly see how much time and detail went into nailing those aspects of the game. Definitely the best I have experienced since the oldschool Arena FPS days. One pitfall I can see already though is that its sometimes hard to make out players with the super detailed environments.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm going to have to dig into this maybe a little later today.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact that the mouse accel bug managed to go unnoticed for this long is however really disturbing and a possible indication that the devs don't know what they're doing

I wouldn't say unnoticed. Unreal Engine games have a history of having to dig deep into mouse configurations, plus you can still change it. I encourage you to look at their road map, remember the game is in beta still and they choose the "release a small WORKING part of the game" rather than bite off much more than they can chew.

I wouldn't say unnoticed. Unreal Engine games have a history of having to dig deep into mouse configurations, plus you can still change it. I encourage you to look at their road map, remember the game is in beta still and they choose the "release a small WORKING part of the game" rather than bite off much more than they can chew.

There's a default config file included in the engine that you can do whatever you want with

The fact that no one on their dev team considered that accel is an option that should be OFF by default is just disturbing to me

The specific cause of the bug is the that it is up to the developer to decide what console vars the Unreal Engine will save to its config

So essentially this game has been in development for however long it has been it and it did not occur to literally 1 person on their team that this was an issue

That is a sign that the devs are extremely low skill players and will have 0 likelyhood of being able to balance this game

This is NOT a minor issue, if your default controls are considered totally unusable then your casual player base (who will never think to change them) will never improve

I've played a few games now.

The game is chaotic as all hell. 8 players on a pretty small map.

I went something like 38/7 (Got an unstoppable) in my first online game by whoring the Rocket Launcher. The shotgun is freakin' awesome. I really like the way they've balanced the double-barrel fire mode by having a longer reload delay.

Needs more maps before I can really judge it though. At the moment it just feels like a cut down version of UT2K4, which is ok... But it may mean the next Unreal just destroys it.

Despite concerns that a nerf could tip the balance to an overwhelmingly hitscan-dominant sandbox, I think a damage radius nerf to the Cerberus / rocket launcher could actually improve its usefulness.  Currently it is impossible to rocket jump (or accelerate off the walls) without taking damage from the explosion.  In a game lacking strafe jumping and more complex movement options than dodge jumping, a reduction in the range of the damage (but not the impulse) could actually improve the weapon's usefulness.

Thanks for the s/o Mystyrion! 

I'll be streaming Toxikk almost every night for the forseeable future, so follow or swing by whenever to check out the game if you're interested. I haven't been this addicted to a video game in I can't remember how long. Saw a bunch of you from these forums in my stream today, thanks a bunch. I seriously think this is a title a bunch of us can get behind. It feels very natural coming from Halo, just way faster paced. 

If you guys have any specific questions about it I can probably answer them here.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This game looks simple and really fun. With the downfall of halo and console gaming in general (in my eyes atleast), i really am curious about building a gaming pc. This may be one of the first games i get if that happens. keeping my eye on this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This game looks simple and really fun. With the downfall of halo and console gaming in general (in my eyes atleast), i really am curious about building a gaming pc. This may be one of the first games i get if that happens. keeping my eye on this game.

Agreed!

Visit my tech support thread if you plan to build a PC! You can receive help/advice there if you need it!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Toxikk is getting a hotfix patch today or tomorrow to address weapon balancing issues that were fairly universal since launch.

Let me rephrase:

THE DEV LISTENED AND REACTED TO FAN FEEDBACK AND IT ONLY TOOK THEM ONE WEEK.

That's who I want to support making games, you guys should too if you aren't already playing. More content is on the way in 2 weeks. Take notes, 343.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Agreed!

Visit my tech support thread if you plan to build a PC! You can receive help/advice there if you need it!

Thank you, ill deff. pop by and check it out. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Toxikk is getting a hotfix patch today or tomorrow to address weapon balancing issues that were fairly universal since launch.

Let me rephrase:

THE DEV LISTENED AND REACTED TO FAN FEEDBACK AND IT ONLY TOOK THEM ONE WEEK.

That's who I want to support making games, you guys should too if you aren't already playing. More content is on the way in 2 weeks. Take notes, 343.

I think they should VERY slightly nerf the splash damage, VERY slightly nerf the damage and decrease the ROF.

The ROF of the RL seems as fast as the pistol. I think if a slower ROF on the RL would force people to spam rockets and take the time to line up their shots and punish them for missing.