Sign in to follow this  
HaloNut252

Anyone else hate the Power Drain in H3?

I stand corrected. Apparently there is enough hate for this to warrant its own thread.

Carry on.

Sorry OP, this doesnt warrent its own thread. Not trying to sound like a dick, but it's the truth.

How about you let us be the judges of that? 

----

Power Drain seemed good for me. Maybe it could not drain as fast and last a little less time, though.

I kinda agree with you, because they are one time things, but I'm not a fan of defensive equipment that promote camping or really slow, boring gameplay. Bubble shield and regen fall into that category. The others I'm ok with.

regens weren't really defensive per se. I mean the meta right now is to get regen/bubble, then push the other team because you have the advantage. Tho that advantage is the ability to last longer, not kill quicker so that is defensive in a sense, it's just also offensive in a sense. Bubble is a decent counter to rockets.

Also regens can't really be used as a panci bail out. If you get naded, rocketed, sniped, jumped, etc, that regen is most likely not going to save you. Though a bubble shield can bail you out like that, so many people die while throwing the bubble out.

Lets look at cold storage. Before I begin, I know this is semi-flawed logic. Rockets @ 3mins, score to 25, radar on, and only 1 layer of os completely makes cold storage a bad map. The only way you will break a team with rocket+snipe control on that map is to literally get the bubble shield/regens (even though they aren't in the most ideal locations, the bubble can't be guarded that well unless the team wants to hard commit to one side of the map leaving the other open).

In btb, it is impossible to get a bomb disarm on avalanche (and very hard on the some maps like longshore) in 1bomb without a bubble shield.

It is almost impossible to break into avalanche's base without a power drain (conveniently placed at the base of the mancannon) to arm the bomb/pull the flag.

i'm not saying put equipment into halo2 or 1, it just works for halo3 with its awkward map settings.

Judging from the topic at hand and the way this guy posted, he's probably new to the competitive forums and (Possibly) to Halo.

Either way, NEW MEMBER HYPE!!  :weback:

We welcome thee with open arms.  :lol:

OT: Hated Power drain. 
Hated most of the equipment in general. 

The only one I thought was useful and not OP was Grav lift. 

And I never understood the hatred for the radar jammer in social gametypes. It's like all people wanted was crap to hold their hand and the things that were not OP are hated. 

I agree OP, especially on Narrows when people lift and throw a P Drain in TS.

Regen is literally just a 50/50. You can throw it out at the last miniscule of your shield and still get 4 shotted, throw it out and AR someone who is ARing you and still lose, beat down someone in a regen and still get beat down with full shields etc. Regen is literally blasphemy IMO.

I agree OP, especially on Narrows when people lift and throw a P Drain in TS.

Regen is literally just a 50/50. You can throw it out at the last miniscule of your shield and still get 4 shotted, throw it out and AR someone who is ARing you and still lose, beat down someone in a regen and still get beat down with full shields etc. Regen is literally blasphemy IMO.

have you not heard of health. if you have "1 bar" of health and you get beatdown by an ar, you're going to get 1hit.

have you not heard of health. if you have "1 bar" of health and you get beatdown by an ar, you're going to get 1hit.

not when you're attacking first. it's happened. 

not when you're attacking first. it's happened.

attacking first doesn't negate the fact you have health. it's always present

Judging from the topic at hand and the way this guy posted, he's probably new to the competitive forums and (Possibly) to Halo.

Either way, NEW MEMBER HYPE!! :weback:

We welcome thee with open arms. :lol:

OT: Hated Power drain.

Hated most of the equipment in general.

The only one I thought was useful and not OP was Grav lift.

And I never understood the hatred for the radar jammer in social gametypes. It's like all people wanted was crap to hold their hand and the things that were not OP are hated.

Hey thanks man! Is this specifically a competetive forum?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't really mind the power drainer personally, but I can easily live without it. I love the idea of equipment but I can relate to when people say that defensive equipment isn't as good for Halo as offensive equipment. The slowing down aspect isn't exactly ideal.

I totally get that the bubble shield, for example, has the potential to slow down gameplay and pause encounters, but I've always loved how it changes encounters as well. Like tricking people into walking into the bubble shield and timing your grenade throw well enough that they don't have enough time to react.

For me, there is actually something (though only a little) added to gameplay there at the expense of the pace of the game, whereas with something like armour lock, what is really added?

Ideally, I think if equipment was only offensive, that might be better overall.

The power drain is 

ANNOYING

AS 

FUCK

...That said, however, it is actually a somewhat (somewhat) properly designed powerup in that it is used to promote offense. The problem is that it's absurdly easy to use, it LINGERS, and can cover the entirety of some small rooms. 

I would much rather have it as a grenade-style weapon where it explodes upon contact with the first surface/body it hits and affects perhaps a five foot radius, in which if you use it and hit another player or players (even on the very outside of the blast) it will deplete their shields completely.

You could style it as a power weapon in which you pick up a case of four EMP grenades, which would make it a very desirable map destination. 

This would make it so the stupid thing wasn't so incredibly unwieldy, and could NOT be used as a defensive weapon to block avenues of progress, i.e. leaving one on bottom man-cannon on Narrows so that jumpers will automatically have their entire shields depleted with no accuracy involved by the deployer. 

I would much rather have it as a grenade-style weapon where it explodes upon contact with the first surface/body it hits and affects perhaps a five foot radius, in which if you use it and hit another player or players (even on the very outside of the blast) it will deplete their shields completely.

You could style it as a power weapon in which you pick up a case of four EMP grenades, which would make it a very desirable map destination. 

This would make it so the stupid thing wasn't so incredibly unwieldy, and could NOT be used as a defensive weapon to block avenues of progress, i.e. leaving one on bottom man-cannon on Narrows so that jumpers will automatically have their entire shields depleted with no accuracy involved by the deployer. 

Sounds like pulse grenades except not shitty.

regens weren't really defensive per se. I mean the meta right now is to get regen/bubble, then push the other team because you have the advantage. Tho that advantage is the ability to last longer, not kill quicker so that is defensive in a sense, it's just also offensive in a sense. Bubble is a decent counter to rockets.

Also regens can't really be used as a panci bail out. If you get naded, rocketed, sniped, jumped, etc, that regen is most likely not going to save you. Though a bubble shield can bail you out like that, so many people die while throwing the bubble out.

Lets look at cold storage. Before I begin, I know this is semi-flawed logic. Rockets @ 3mins, score to 25, radar on, and only 1 layer of os completely makes cold storage a bad map. The only way you will break a team with rocket+snipe control on that map is to literally get the bubble shield/regens (even though they aren't in the most ideal locations, the bubble can't be guarded that well unless the team wants to hard commit to one side of the map leaving the other open).

In btb, it is impossible to get a bomb disarm on avalanche (and very hard on the some maps like longshore) in 1bomb without a bubble shield.

It is almost impossible to break into avalanche's base without a power drain (conveniently placed at the base of the mancannon) to arm the bomb/pull the flag.

i'm not saying put equipment into halo2 or 1, it just works for halo3 with its awkward map settings.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, and by no means do I think the H3 eqiupment was completely game breaking, but I think people would have liked them more had they been changed to be more offensive powerups and not defensive ones.

How about you let us be the judges of that?

Am I not allowed to have my own opinion to post? Regardless it doesn't matter as the thread carried on.

On topic: PD is OP as fuck. Both a pain in the ass and funny as hell to use.

It was removed because it was the easiest equipment to double jump off of, and could get you to some really nerdy areas on the map.

Hey thanks man! Is this specifically a competetive forum?

More so than anything else. There will be a story/lore post every now and again, but mostly tournaments/ events/ Game news / and pro news is what you will see. 

Although I will say if you're looking for news on Halo Nightfall, MCC campaign and just Halo news in general, Beyond is still the place to be. They're the first to report everything Halo.

It was removed because it was the easiest equipment to double jump off of, and could get you to some really nerdy areas on the map.

lol what? That sounds awesome!

It would be pretty cool to see it in the next game but with less power. Just something that you could control a map with. Or if every player starts off with one and that is the only one that they could use. So makes every other player aware of when they need to control a map or change the way the game will be played. No resets just the one use

Or if every player starts off with one and that is the only one that they could use.

That would be the most un-fun thing ever.

A slightly tweaked Power Drainer could work in different contexts.  There's potential there.

That would be the most un-fun thing ever.

A slightly tweaked Power Drainer could work in different contexts. There's potential there.

It would really make you think about using it. Might work good for the start of a game such as oddball.

It would be pretty cool to see it in the next game but with less power. Just something that you could control a map with. Or if every player starts off with one and that is the only one that they could use. So makes every other player aware of when they need to control a map or change the way the game will be played. No resets just the one use

How about we only let players start out with 2 weapons and 2 grenades? And make EVERYTHING else whether it be another weapon, power up, equipment, Armor ability, grenade, etc..... Be a pick up item.

If you played allot of Team Doubles you see those equipment is not overpowered at all but it is really useful if you use it smart.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you played allot of Team Doubles you see those equipment is not overpowered at all but it is really useful if you use it smart.

In doubles equipment is even worse.

A water gun utility rifle against drainers (which you cant see if they have) does not make for a good sandbox for 2s.