Sign in to follow this  
ThatTrueLegend

"Lessons" in Halo?

I remember on XBL people would sometimes talk trash and tell people they need "lessons" or people would try to give lessons to other players if they were paid Microsoft points. (Usually & obviously a scam) But I thought about it and well I know saying someone needs lessons or taught how to play the game usually implies that they're "bad" at the game. And so a question popped up in my head...

TLDR: What about pros? Haven't all pros undergone some sort of aspect of "lessons" through other pros? Like I'm not quite sure how to word what I'm asking but so.. are some people just naturally SUPER GOOD at the game, or has every (or majority of) GOOD player(s) gone through some sort of "lesson" or something?

Sorry if my typing is bad, my phone is slow and I just wanna get this out there as soon as possible cause I'm really curious.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No one really needs lessons. Play with people at an equal or higher competition level and you'll get better naturally (i.e. pros play with other pros).

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are you trying to ask if pros got lessons to become pros?

From other pros, yes. Than you for shortening my question lol. I know not ALL pros probably got lessons from other pros. But I'm assuming pros learn from other pros.

Hard, specific, grueling practice makes pros. Lessons help by creating shortcuts or identifying things so that you know them sooner rather than later. I have given people lessons before for free and they said it benefited them greatly. I am going to make a twitch/yt dedicated to "lessons", getting better, understanding the game and competitive play better, and general performance enhancement. There is a huge content gap there so I am to fill it once I get an xbox one and/or capture card (closer to MCC release).

• Upvote (+1) 2

From other pros, yes. Than you for shortening my question lol. I know not ALL pros probably got lessons from other pros. But I'm assuming pros learn from other pros.

As far as I know, there are no pro's or players who have placed pro that had lessons from other pro's.

Basically, once your skilled enough individually, you team with other like minded and like skilled players to compete against other like skilled players; that's where pro's get there skills from.

I remember on XBL people would sometimes talk trash and tell people they need "lessons" or people would try to give lessons to other players if they were paid Microsoft points. (Usually & obviously a scam) But I thought about it and well I know saying someone needs lessons or taught how to play the game usually implies that they're "bad" at the game. And so a question popped up in my head...

TLDR: What about pros? Haven't all pros undergone some sort of aspect of "lessons" through other pros? Like I'm not quite sure how to word what I'm asking but so.. are some people just naturally SUPER GOOD at the game, or has every (or majority of) GOOD player(s) gone through some sort of "lesson" or something?

Sorry if my typing is bad, my phone is slow and I just wanna get this out there as soon as possible cause I'm really curious.

Yeah, the pro players giving lessons for Microsoft points/money was very big back in the day. Who cares what some random says over Xbox live. Of course every player over the span of their career took lessons, practiced, copied others, etc.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Lessons are optional to becoming great. Frequent practice with similarly skilled players and striving to beat said players is all it takes in the end. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know about formal lessons, but a lot of good players I play frequently with will speak of a "mentor" they had that "taught" them. It can be as simple as playing with a more skilled player and having them go over your films with you. I had a player exactly like this during Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry mods I just noticed it double posted, it's my stupid phone.

No worries, I've merged the two threads together. 

Ask T2 and you will be fragging like a pro in no time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wouldn't call it "lessons" per say but I believe every pro player had a mentor of some sort/better players helping them to get where they are today. It isn't a coincidence that pro's like Ace had a sibling who was pro before them. At least that's my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hard, specific, grueling practice makes pros. Lessons help by creating shortcuts or identifying things so that you know them sooner rather than later. I have given people lessons before for free and they said it benefited them greatly. I am going to make a twitch/yt dedicated to "lessons", getting better, understanding the game and competitive play better, and general performance enhancement. There is a huge content gap there so I am to fill it once I get an xbox one and/or capture card (closer to MCC release).

I don't know about formal lessons, but a lot of good players I play frequently with will speak of a "mentor" they had that "taught" them. It can be as simple as playing with a more skilled player and having them go over your films with you. I had a player exactly like this during Reach.

^^ These. Especially the "mentor" thing, I play/played with a guy like that. It's invaluable for going over films and pointing out good plays or stuff you could be doing better.

I wouldn't call it "lessons" per say but I believe every pro player had a mentor of some sort/better players helping them to get where they are today. It isn't a coincidence that pro's like Ace had a sibling who was pro before them. At least that's my opinion.

Just look at the OGRES, they had each other to 1v1 in Halo CE all the time, no surprise they were able to be at the top of their game all the time.

Good players dont make good teachers.

That's funny, because most people who read that would think you are saying there isn't one good player that is also a good teacher.

That in turn would lead one to think they have to turn to a bad player...

hehehehehe

Look at Status Quo, they only got great because Strongside taught them how to play, amiright or nah?