HaloNut252

Does anyone think the redone H2 maps in H3 are too dark/noisy?

I'm not sure if I'm using the term of visual noise correctly but the redone H2 maps in H3: Blackout, Last Resort, and Heretic, while graphically are beautiful and a huge improvement, still somehow seem harder to navigate than their H2 counterparts (Lockout, Zanzibar, Midship.) There seems to be a serious lack of contrast; the blacks seem way too high and it's difficult to interpret depth and location. Anyone else notice this?

• Upvote (+1) 3

What is the reason for that. Where did they go wrong?

Blackout is much larger than Lockout, and most of the jumps were removed.

Heretic's famous glitches and tricks were all nearly gone, along with the middle platform being static.

Last Resort has new paths, but the mechanics and poor connection make it one of the least favorite maps of Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Blackout is much larger than Lockout, and most of the jumps were removed.

Heretic's famous glitches and tricks were all nearly gone, along with the middle platform being static.

Last Resort has new paths, but the mechanics and poor connection make it one of the least favorite maps of Halo 3.

What about the actual graphics, did you notice they were too dark or hard to see?

What about the actual graphics, did you notice they were too dark or hard to see?

I can see where I'm going almost all the time on these maps, but darkness is a bit of a problem on Blackout and Heretic. Increasing brightness may help you out like it did for me.

its why CE maps are the goat.....clean geometry

No kidding, one of the first things I noticed when I played blackout was how my grenades kept getting caught on all of the edges. It is such a horrible remake.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

What is the reason for that. Where did they go wrong?

I have my own opinion and its probaly biased due to me dislike of Bungie. I beleive they purposely did things to annoy us hardcore players. It was like a sport to them. That might not explain the dark colors but it sure helps to shed light on a bunch of other things that they did out of spite.

I have my own opinion and its probaly biased due to me dislike of Bungie. I beleive they purposely did things to annoy us hardcore players.

I honestly believe the BR spread, range, netcode were all done to limit what the competitive community can do in-game. You don't create that version of the BR and a terrible online infrastructure after halo 2 without it being done on purpose to hinder players from dominating those below their skill level....

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, 100%.

But it's how they always make maps these days. They want to show off the power of the console and how detailed and polished they can make it look.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have my own opinion and its probaly biased due to me dislike of Bungie. I beleive they purposely did things to annoy us hardcore players. It was like a sport to them. That might not explain the dark colors but it sure helps to shed light on a bunch of other things that they did out of spite.

This isn't true, but we do get singled out based on what we want. And it REALLY feels like it's on purpose after a while.

I made this post not long after Halo 4 was released:

I'm disappointed. It continually shocks me how Halo developers go out of their way to ignore, almost exclusively, the requests of the competitive community. I shouldnt be shocked, I really shouldn't. Let's take a look at our history as a franchise:

Halo 1: awesome.

Our requests: More awesome, more maps.

Halo 2: Worse gun, worse almost everything else but otherwise fun game that lots of people loved. 100% different, BR was extremely easy. Where did our static weapon timers go? Then they fixed the BR by accident. It wasnt even listed in the TU changes. The fix was a headshot problem with the magnum that indirectly fixed the BR. No one I knew wanted plasma grenades to be a 1 hit splash damage kill without a stick but they did it anyway. Game worse than previous for competition but still pretty good by 2007.

Our requests: Please make weapons spawn on a set timer!

Halo 3: Nah, no set weapon timers, and we fixed our accidentally accurate BR, lol. There's that spread we always wanted. Melees stupidly powerful. Game overall worse than Halo 2 for competition.

Our requests: Please make weapons spawn on a set timer! And fix that damn spread!

Halo Reach: Nah no set weapon timers even though we saw you hack our last game to create drop spawns, lol. We even put it into a matchmaking playlist....It's funny how much you guys want that, lolol but we still can't give it to you even though it would be the simplest option of all time to code and there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of options for every conceivable thing you could possibly do to a custom game. Oh and we made the spread into bloom. Oh and one last thing, have fun with sprint now.

Our requests: Please give us an accurate weapon that is at least a little hard to use. Oh and look at our tournament settings, we removed sprint and bloom and it was the most popular tournament halo in years. Oh and please give us set weapon timers, we have been asking for so long. We even hacked them into this game too.

Halo 4: After 4 halo sequels, we finally gave you those set weapon timers you wanted, but we never bothered to test them and they don't work lol sry. Also we added waypoints so everyone knows you picked it up. We finally gave you an accurate weapon, but now you don't unzoom so its incredibly easy to use and powerful as hell. Sorry. Oh and we kept that spread around for the BR. We also put sprint and bloom back even though we saw you guys remove it and you can't remove it now lololol sry. We also made every way to gain an advantage literally random, you can push a button for powerups and let you spawn with a shotgun. Maybe you can get static weapon timers for Halo 5 if you REALLY hope for it.

Our requests: Are you.... kidding me?

Halo 5: Fill in the god damned blanks.

This is systematic ignoring of virtually everything the competitive community asks for, often giving us the opposite and making the game worse. WHY IS ANYONE SURPRISED ANYMORE? MYSELF INCLUDED.

I... was mad.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Structures are all wrong, unnecessary space lingers causing disruption in aesthetic flow. Halo maps are being homogenized by design, re-imagined rather than streamlined. Halo is Forerunner alloy, Covy carbon, Ancient ruin, or Human metal not plastic.

Legendary level design characteristics that beget new legendary level design aren't being transferred well in new Halo games. Midship successor Heretic's stellar arena rightly scaled to Halo's core gameplay improved the vested, curvy, round arena aesthetic. Lockout successor Guardian altered design and became a standalone all original theme. Blackout and cold storage successors did not scale and added unmerited background, a good example of thoughtless change. I'm seeing a lot of that in MCC.

Halo 5 uninspired arenas are probably going to be dirty, broken down, cemented, piss stained, giant plaza/warehouses, or cluttered floating plastic.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This isn't true, but we do get singled out based on what we want. And it REALLY feels like it's on purpose after a while.

I made this post not long after Halo 4 was released:

I... was mad.

The best part is that you only listed like the most universally agreed upon requests.

Never noticed how much visual noise Heretic has until watching the 2v2 tournament.

I'm not sure if I'm using the term of visual noise correctly but the redone H2 maps in H3: Blackout, Last Resort, and Heretic, while graphically are beautiful and a huge improvement, still somehow seem harder to navigate than their H2 counterparts (Lockout, Zanzibar, Midship.) There seems to be a serious lack of contrast; the blacks seem way too high and it's difficult to interpret depth and location. Anyone else notice this?

Yes I do feel like they are darker maps. Then again the whole map pack those maps came in seemed that way. I'm not to sure why but it didn't really bother me at all.

Visual noise is where you have lots of little useless or misused fine detail and contrast.

Most h4 maps and all h4 forge maps and palettes are filled with noise.

Artistically h3 maps were extremely well done and did not have visual noise. The detail and contrast was well balanced given the improvements in rendering.

If you are saying h3 maps lack contrast then that is the opposite of noise.

Noise distracts. That's all it does.

What I find fascinating about blackout is that it didn't hinder your ability to see despite being dark. Dark environments re-tard movement because you don't see clearly enough details of a path to feel comfortable moving quickly. There are a lot of games like that. But somehow blackout renders details very clearly and brightly while fully convincing you it is at night.

I think you may be concerned with the additional detail that the rendering engine can handle. The contrast must come down or all that detail will be noise. But that is the direction that consoles are going in.

H4 maps are the first set of daytime halo maps that are predominantly noisy, hazy, and darkest of any title that I have experience with. I miss h3 and reach bright and sunny outdoors environment.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Haha they fucked up Blackout so bad they gave in trying to """"improve it""""when they set out to remake Midship and stayed as close to the original as possible.

Haha they fucked up Blackout so bad they gave in trying to """"improve it""""when they set out to remake Midship and stayed as close to the original as possible.

Somehow I still feel that Heretic plays considerably worse than Midship though... lol

Somehow I still feel that Heretic plays considerably worse than Midship though... lol

Sizing was different. BR probably didnt help either.

I hate Blackout. Wish they had kept it just like H2's Lockout. People would have played it a lot more and possibly even in MLG playlists/customs.

Last Resort and Heretic were fine in my opinion though.

• Upvote (+1) 1