Sign in to follow this  
UGCevents

UGC Halo League Show - Week 3 [Special Guest chaosTheoryy]

goal is to have it done and released before MCC which gives it plenty of time to make the rounds before H5 is anywhere near finalized. I've missed deadlines before but I'm gonna do my very best to not miss this one. It's kind of the last chance and at least due to the failure that was Halo 4's matchmaking population, maybe someone might be interested in a different perspective.

edit: er, I forgot the beta is in December of this year. Jeez well maybe they won't have much time after all. Reach and Halo 3 betas were pretty much the final game with almost no changes. Welp. Oh well.

Reach and Halo 3's betas were also like 4 months before launch. Unless Halo 5 is coming out sometime during the summer, I think there may be a significant amount of the game changing due to player feedback.

edit: er, I forgot the beta is in December of this year. Jeez well maybe they won't have much time after all. Reach and Halo 3 betas were pretty much the final game with almost no changes. Welp. Oh well.

Well, they did say they want our feedback to make possible changes between this December and next November from the beta. To me, it sounds like this will be the first "proper" Halo beta, and not just a hype demo/network stress test.

Now, obviously they're not going to read your book and suddenly change their design philosophies for H5 or change any of the core as the game will be too late into development, but they make take it into consideration for the future, or add/tweak certain features post launch. 

Fair enough. I was just trying to find a new perspective. And I really do think I found what I was looking for by finding so many references to the vital importance of randomness in games and so many designers who detest the idea of games strictly as a measure of skill. I'll try and keep the additional pedantic self-accreditation to a minimum  but I also helped my buddy insidi0us design some new halo maps and did the majority of the testing on them at some of my lans. That said I've never built a game from scratch but I think I'd be a good tester for one. I'm not saying let me design the damn thing, I just want another Halo game that operates on the same principles that made the first one so incredible. I realize some of what I said may have come off really arrogant and I apologize for that, I'm just confident in what I believe in.

I also have very regular meetings with software developers in my career. I understand shortcomings and timelines and documentation required to make changes and bug tracking vs change/enhancement request and all that. I don't want to say that I should be in charge, but I have enough familiarity with not only the gameplay but the process and the philosophy behind the changes that I think my opinion is slightly more valid than someone who bought halo 4 on sale and wanted to say what he wants in Halo 5. Studios don't see it that way.

And that - that is much of the problem. Upstream marketing that focuses on new money. They know they're going to get my money. They want NEW customers. My stupid (Fortune 500) company does the same thing. Instead of asking the people who use a piece of software every day what is wrong with it and how it can be made better, they go to people who have not yet purchased and ask them, what would make you buy this? And invariably those people ask for new features, usually gimmicky worthless ones. So when upstream marketers go back to the sales managers and the developers, the priority is now new features and quick timelines to get those features released. That puts every bug fixes and requests from the actual USER, who has the most valuable input, at the back of the line.

Greed has ruined everything that is good in the world, and in the never-ending search for higher margins and new markets we have stopped asking the right people what THEY want. My argument is, if you make the nerds happy, the masses will follow. Marvel studios has figured this out for the most part and are making insane amount of money with that idea. LoL and DOTA seem to be doing much of the same. You can't even get on the LoL design team without a certain ELO rank. They tend to ask tournament players what should be balanced instead of focusing on players who can't seem to learn from their mistakes. It's working and Halo needs to try it.

@bold - I really disagree with this statement.  I would assume you're not a very big comic book superhero fan.  But that's a whole other(in no way Halo related) discussion.

goal is to have it done and released before MCC which gives it plenty of time to make the rounds before H5 is anywhere near finalized. I've missed deadlines before but I'm gonna do my very best to not miss this one. It's kind of the last chance and at least due to the failure that was Halo 4's matchmaking population, maybe someone might be interested in a different perspective.

I don't remember the interview or whatever, but I know hearing someone from 343 saying that they are having the beta early so they can gather feedback to tweak the actual game, something they haven't been able to do in the past.  I wouldn't be pessimistic about it.

Although I'm calling it, I know how much of a perfectionist you are and you won't be able to finish it by November, I'd love to be proved wrong and promise I'd read every word.  I almost always agree with your points on H1 and Halo in general as if I'd said them myself.

@bold - I really disagree with this statement.  I would assume you're not a very big comic book superhero fan. 

That would be a poor assumption. I came back to this thread after reading the battles forum over on vine, as I often do. Those guys take nerding to a whole new level but it's fun to read.

As a whole, what I said is true. My friends and I are all comic book fans and have been for decades. Yes the most of the stories are tweaked, yes the characters are pretty significantly nerfed if you take past feats into play, yes things are different to some extent - but as a whole most of the recent ones are movies that comic book fans can still enjoy. There are good ones and bad. Fantastic 4 2, Xmen 3, both wolverine movies, spiderman 3 - those were all pretty bad and most comic people I know didn't really enjoy them. In fact most loathed them. But at the same time, everyone I know enjoyed Avengers. The Cpt America, Thor and Ironman movies (first one at least), First Class and DoFP were all mostly entertaining as well. As long as you don't fundamentally change the core of the story, you can take a lot of liberties and the superfans will still enjoy it. And even though it's not marvel, Nolan's batman is further proof of that.

They're making a lot of money by making movies that the fanatics still love. I'm curious as to know why you disagree.

That would be a poor assumption. I came back to this thread after reading the battles forum over on vine, as I often do. Those guys take nerding to a whole new level but it's fun to read.

As a whole, what I said is true. My friends and I are all comic book fans and have been for decades. Yes the most of the stories are tweaked, yes the characters are pretty significantly nerfed if you take past feats into play, yes things are different to some extent - but as a whole most of the recent ones are movies that comic book fans can still enjoy. There are good ones and bad. Fantastic 4 2, Xmen 3, both wolverine movies, spiderman 3 - those were all pretty bad and most comic people I know didn't really enjoy them. In fact most loathed them. But at the same time, everyone I know enjoyed Avengers. The Cpt America, Thor and Ironman movies (first one at least), First Class and DoFP were all mostly entertaining as well. As long as you don't fundamentally change the core of the story, you can take a lot of liberties and the superfans will still enjoy it. And even though it's not marvel, Nolan's batman is further proof of that.

They're making a lot of money by making movies that the fanatics still love. I'm curious as to know why you disagree.

Will your book be complete this year? 

Will your book be complete this year? 

goal is to have it done and released before MCC which gives it plenty of time to make the rounds before H5 is anywhere near finalized. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thats why https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QYQb_iGiWrOUyCe6L9FsH5Xkbumtzm5lhmIzS43RTH8/edit?usp=docslist_api

:)

Still crank it out asap though bro

Would have been awesome to do a podcast with you back in the Gamers Corner days, 

I just wanted to say that I LOVED that podcast that you and Esh did.  I still remember episode 7 vividly, because of that hysterical story you told about the redneck child in the Shadowrun clan match.  Omg, I played that for my friends, and we still say "I'm comin' White Ninja!" every time we run for a revive in Battlefield.  Shit was hilarious, man.

Lol, "Bullshit, NOBODY can use a sniper like that!"  Oh my God man, post that one again.  It was so funny!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Bit worried about the American sizings. Whenever I buy anything from America I have to buy a size down because apparently the standard sizes are bigger.

Blue master race checking in.

We're fat.

Just finished watching - nice stuff.

Podcast is a good shout and tackles my minor complaints.

Reach and Halo 3's betas were also like 4 months before launch. Unless Halo 5 is coming out sometime during the summer, I think there may be a significant amount of the game changing due to player feedback.

Id probably say thats because there will be 2 betas, and more shit to balance with that.

Id probably say thats because there will be 2 betas, and more shit to balance with that.

If there's two, they could just be smart and call it Alpha and Beta.

/shrug

I just wanted to say that I LOVED that podcast that you and Esh did.  I still remember episode 7 vividly, because of that hysterical story you told about the redneck child in the Shadowrun clan match.  Omg, I played that for my friends, and we still say "I'm comin' White Ninja!" every time we run for a revive in Battlefield.  Shit was hilarious, man.

Lol, "Bullshit, NOBODY can use a sniper like that!"  Oh my God man, post that one again.  It was so funny!

Him and I parted ways several years ago back in 2010. As for the show, I gave him ownership of the blog and then he deleted every podcast, so if there are any copies of the show, he would have them on his own personal pc, I don't have anything unfortunately.

I would really love to get back into podcasting, I found joy and entertainment in having round-table discussions through dissecting games, and like I said before in a previous post, no one seems to do that these days. I'd really love to hear real dissection of a game. I think the Bomb Planted show has some real promise to it, but I wish they discussed more game-design-esque topics rather than just be a news update type show.

Sometimes I think back in the old days of MLG forums through Halo 3 and beyond, people were too fucking scared to discuss hot topics. Maybe it was because Bungie was a core sponsor of MLG, but I remember many MLG staff and even community members holding back on their thoughts and opinions toward the direction Halo was going. That's one of the reasons we created Gamers Corner, to give a non-scripted point of view on things.

So many people in the media/blogosphere hold back on things because of their undisclosed sponsorships and endorsements. Total Biscuit for example, I think he's great, but even he tends to hold back too. Yet they did come out on Youtube and admit they took money from publishers to hold back on their "true" reviews of games.

I remember when we interviewed Walshy that he said he had NEVER been in an interview where someone actually asked him what he thought of Halo on a game design point of view. I was truly interested in his thoughts on Halo's design rather than his pro career and win/loss at tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just send the interviewer down to Australia to do a piece on Ogre 1 and his thoughts on MCC.

Is your book still on track to be completed before MCC?

I'd very much like to read it.

I worked on it a bit last week. Work has been crazy but I'm still gonna try to get it done.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I worked on it a bit last week. Work has been crazy but I'm still gonna try to get it done.

Let's go cT ^_^