Sign in to follow this  
UGCevents

UGC Halo League Show - Week 3 [Special Guest chaosTheoryy]

Listening to this now at work. I don't think I've ever heard your voice CT, but have talked to you via forums, instant messenger, etc. Great to hear your thoughts verbally. Would have been awesome to do a podcast with you back in the Gamers Corner days, but I'm glad you've gotten the chance to have your voice heard because I believe you speak for all of those Halo fans and not just Halo fans, but gamers in general who think exactly the same way and continue to get shafted by game developers and the gaming industry.

Two thumbs up to the people who invited CT on the show. This is the type of content I love to listen to and it honestly is the most entertaining content to listen to because it's actual game design discussion, not on a technical level like XYZ code, but more along the lines of conceptual game design.

It's rare to hear discussions like this, and damn, this is a joy to listen to and I'm only 9 minutes in.

CT, real question here, I'm really curious if you've ever given thought to going into game design and being a consultant of game development?

• Upvote (+1) 3

cT is probably one of the most knowledgeable Halo players around.  And nice to hear his voice.

It'd be cool if there was a Halo podcast with a bunch of old forumgoers.

BigShow, cT, Lemon. Maybe throw in a pro every now and then or someone like Yoseph/Hitzel/Imperium.

We'll call it The Armchair Halo Pundits Podcast.

• Upvote (+1) 1

CT, real question here, I'm really curious if you've ever given thought to going into game design and being a consultant of game development?

Not really. I already have a career in IT that I'm satisfied with. I'd be happy to consult or do some kind of temporary contract work but I'm not going to run around advertising and offering myself up to anyone.

To everyone else:

I went back and listened to this video last night and god dammit I was all over the place. I didn't even answer his question half the time or even explain what I opened with. Jesus next time I do this I want to prepare and not get surprised by questions + have nothing to look at.

I would have loved to talk about the positives outweighing the negatives for opening randoms in h1 ts, which was touched on but never discussed.

I would have loved to discuss player spawns at all but it never happened.

I really didn't explain the whole randomness in PvP games well at all.

H1 was not the last non-random game, it was the most skillful non-random console game (outside of maybe shadowrun which I didn't play). Gandhi is absolutely right that h2 is not random. Maybe the spawns seemed that way at first but it was eventually figured out. Me saying it was sounded awful.

I didn't hear his joke about me giving him a hard time about loving halo 2 and me not laughing at it made me sound like either some socially-challenged neckbeard or an asshole, I'm not really sure which.

I would have loved to explain why I even brought up 'barriers to entry' in a discussion of weapon timing in h1 vs h2. In context it didn't make any sense and needed another few minutes to explain why I said it.

I didn't properly answer his question about broadcasting 4 POVs at once.

I could go on....

I'm glad people enjoyed this but I thought I did a lot better than I really did when I went back and listened to it. Ugh.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Stuff.

I'd say one thing I noticed while watching it is you guys discussed Halo CE as being the one game that's the best at being non-random, etc for competitive play, I'd agree with that on a pure console gaming platform. As for all platforms, I'm going to disagree (which I think you guys didn't mean of ALL gaming including PC), Quake 3, Quake Live or Challenge Pro Mode (Q3 esports mod) is the best overall, but I think it's somewhat wrong to compare a console game to a PC game, two entirely different platforms, so maybe I'm being a hypocrite here lol.

My favorite topic you brought up in the show was this idea of giving players a psychological feeling of winning, intentionally. That type of game design I cannot stand, it's what COD has turned into since COD2. COD1 and COD2 were designed to do exactly what Halo CE does, however for some reason, after COD2, they ditched that design and went into the defensive-type design and created false reward sense. Most FPS games these days do that, and most games in general, they want to reward the player for doing basically nothing.

I believe the devs and publishers equate this to stronger sales. On top of that, you've got the focus groups where they're paying a non-gamer to test a game and give their thoughts on it and are actually altering game design as a result of it because they think it will help sales.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'll speak for everyone and just say that cT should finish his damn tome so everyone can fully explore his ideas. You can get a lot more constructive conversations started that way.

me not laughing at it made me sound like either some socially-challenged neckbeard or an asshole, I'm not really sure which.

Ding ding ding

• Upvote (+1) 2

Gandhi is absolutely right that h2 is not random.

Well, the melee lunge and shotgun were random in Halo 2, but the game as a whole is nowhere near as random as halo 3 and on.

As for all the other stuff you didn't get to explain as much as you wanted, it would be cool if you started doing your own talk show, perhaps with guests like Cursed Lemon, Jeenyus, maybe some players like Patch, etc...

Maybe UGC could snag you for a weekly talk show for h1 discussions alongside Ghandi's weekly, more h2 centered talk show.

UGC putting out two talk shows per week instead of one, with cT hosting one and Ghandi hosting the other, would be one of the greatest things we could do leading up to the release of MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, the melee lunge and shotgun were random in Halo 2, but the game as a whole is nowhere near as random as halo 3 and on.

As for all the other stuff you didn't get to explain as much as you wanted, it would be cool if you started doing your own talk show, perhaps with guests like Cursed Lemon, Jeenyus, maybe some players like Patch, etc...

Maybe UGC could snag you for a weekly talk show for h1 discussions alongside Ghandi's weekly, more h2 centered talk show.

UGC putting out two talk shows per week instead of one, with cT hosting one and Ghandi hosting the other, would be one of the greatest things leading up to the release of MCC.

One thing I've noticed with gaming podcasts, and this goes for all gaming podcasts, no one out there that I know actually has round table discussions about game design. By this I mean, dissecting a game. I find that more interesting than anything else.

• Upvote (+1) 3

A game design focused Halo talk show would be awesome. UGC, you guys could really have a competitive advantage by being the first Halo league to offer such a thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The issue with that is complexity; nicer to have all the same format of gametypes....but to be honest I completely agree with you. There are some fucking amazing round-based asymmetrical gametypes out there. Every Halo title has had some awesome gametypes missed because MLG dropped that format so early and never game it another chance.

Yah buddy! That's why I'm a pretty big fan of BTB, get to play some of those awesome 1-Flags, just a shame I haven't played it with the best 1-Flag settings yet... Those settings being 1 round each as offense/defense, 15min time limit and an unlimited amount of caps. Throw that in matchmaking and it would be awesome.

I'm not really against MLG not using them, as by default I believe they are a bit slower paste and more simple which is a bit contradictory to professionalism as it usually boils down to speed and complexity... However for the casuals, or the competitive casuals out there round based objectives are amazing! Like I said they are more simple as it is much harder to keep track of two flags etc. while still remaining very skillful gametypes, especially when you add in the unlimited caps feature.

One might just say 1-Flag is a stepping stone for Multi-Flag :D

Either way, 1-Flag Zanzibar here we come!

A game design focused Halo talk show would be awesome. UGC, you guys could really have a competitive advantage by being the first Halo league to offer such a thing.

I think they already have an advantage by doing the things they do right now!

To everyone else:

I went back and listened to this video last night and god dammit I was all over the place [...]

haha yah you were a bit all over the place but oh well, don't be so hard on yourself

1. It was probably your first time with a highly reputable Halo interviewer like Ghandi, it was also live.

2. You still gave plenty of good awesome points about Halo. Maybe the general audience only got 30% of what you wanted to shout out but it's a start. A good start. 

3. Apparently you'll get another shot at it with a podcast ;)

4. To a certain extent I like the fact you didn't know the questions in advance.

I think they already have an advantage by doing the things they do right now!

haha yah you were a bit all over the place but oh well, don't be so hard on yourself

1. It was probably your first time with a highly reputable Halo interviewer like Ghandi, it was also live.

2. You still gave plenty of good awesome points about Halo. Maybe the general audience only got 30% of what you wanted to shout out but it's a start. A good start. 

3. Apparently you'll get another shot at it with a podcast ;)

4. To a certain extent I like the fact you didn't know the questions in advance.

Thanks I appreciate it.

UGC putting out two talk shows per week instead of one, with cT hosting one and Ghandi hosting the other, would be one of the greatest things we could do leading up to the release of MCC.

Nah. I don't really want the attention. To be honest if I wanted to go full caster/analyst back in 05 or later I could have done it. I had the connections at MLG and the ability to present my thoughts articulately enough. I always played around with the idea of being like a Day 9 of Halo and putting out a ton of content, but I realized it just wasn't something I was really interested in committing that much time and effort to. I've always had a really busy and engaging life outside of Halo. I'm married, I'm the manager of an IT team at a medical device company, and I really, really don't like a lot of the foul, immature parts of the Halo community.

Also, maybe I'm just old but I value my privacy very highly and I couldn't really have that if I wanted to commit to a big Halo project, so I never did. I stayed with making montages and posting on forums and I think it has served me well enough.

Also, Patch hates me for some reasons I understand and some that I don't.

Lastly, yes Rob I plan on finishing my book thing and releasing before MCC comes out. I've hit a stride working on it after all these years and can probably get it finished and edited within a few months. I need to build a website and some other things but that's not that difficult. Sitting down and finishing the content with my schedule is the hard part.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Have you ever programmed before? This guy has no clue what he's talking about...

:kappa:

Seriously though. I was listening to this at work and my god. Such great understanding shouldn't go unnoticed by devs. They should want the players to play what they want and enjoy it. Having Bungie say they "don't care". Jesus. Talk about egotistical garbage. 

Anybody happen to have a link to that old thread? I have to Read the stupidity.

more specifically here http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49288608&postcount=857

@@Humpflung

Other than some basic batch and vbs scripts that I've edited or thrown together at work, and one VB class in college, I've never programmed anything. I actually kind of hate it. But that doesn't mean I don't know what does and doesn't work in Halo ;] and that's kind of the point. Just like the guy who designs your website probably shouldn't build it and vice versa.

• Upvote (+1) 1

more specifically here http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49288608&postcount=857

@@Humpflung

Other than some basic batch and vbs scripts that I've edited or thrown together at work, and one VB class in college, I've never programmed anything. I actually kind of hate it. But that doesn't mean I don't know what does and doesn't work in Halo ;] and that's kind of the point. Just like the guy who designs your website probably shouldn't build it and vice versa.

It was a joke brah. Notice the  :kappa:  Lol

Yah buddy! That's why I'm a pretty big fan of BTB, get to play some of those awesome 1-Flags, just a shame I haven't played it with the best 1-Flag settings yet... Those settings being 1 round each as offense/defense, 15min time limit and an unlimited amount of caps. Throw that in matchmaking and it would be awesome.

I'd say 4 rounds so the "who goes first" usually-lackluster-because-no-benchmark issue is mitigated. Do 3 minute rounds for 12min total (people have limited attention spans, forcing 15min games isn't a good idea spectator wise).

Also agree with Aphex in that a show focusing more on game design etc would be huge

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure this is the thread cT mentioned...

http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/forums/t/Official-MLG-Beta-Feedback-thread-7910065

The madness begins on pg. 56

I didn't actually play the Reach beta, but was it far off from the actual game? The first page of that link was filled with praise of the game. Or was it just that it was a new game that people were excited for? (like what happened with Halo 4)

I didn't actually play the Reach beta, but was it far off from the actual game? The first page of that link was filled with praise of the game. Or was it just that it was a new game that people were excited for? (like what happened with Halo 4)

Yeah it was the novelty that everyone was going crazy for at first- it didn't last long though. People were talking about how playing the beta felt like a chore later on in the thread.

Round based gametypes haven't been given the chance they deserve, a ton of maps would be playable if we were more open to experimentation with the gametypes.

Kurtiz would be a great guest to have on the show, he knows what he's talking about with Halo. His old Reach map forge project will attest to that.

Great interview!

I definitely think 2v2 could work from a casting perspective, there's a couple ways you could do it. All 4 screens is definitely too much info from a viewer perspective.

- Single screen with switching between perspectives. It should be easier to switch between 4 players rather than 8 like the Halo 2 days.

- Split-screen, have whichever team is making bigger plays on the screen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Isn't Kurtiz the guy who ruined Damnation?

Define ruined?

If by, ported the map to a game whose mechanics make default damnation absolutely terrible, then yeah he probably ruined it.

I'd say 4 rounds so the "who goes first" usually-lackluster-because-no-benchmark issue is mitigated. Do 3 minute rounds for 12min total (people have limited attention spans, forcing 15min games isn't a good idea spectator wise).

Also agree with Aphex in that a show focusing more on game design etc would be huge

This wouldn't exactly be possible with the given tools, but Call of Duty CTF would be great.

Give it 2 5 or 6 minute rounds. In the event of a tie, the first team to cap sets the time for the other team; so if red caps the flag in 45 seconds, blue team has that much time when the next round starts to capture.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Define ruined?

If by, ported the map to a game whose mechanics make default damnation absolutely terrible, then yeah he probably ruined it.

Well to be specific I'm talking about V7 Penance, and the genius who thought rockets on lilypads and starting spawns at plasma pistol and plasma rifle was a good idea. I'm pretty sure that was Kurtiz, although I could be wrong.