Sign in to follow this  
Haloandbourbon

What is the best way to build individual skill playing solo?

So i've been getting back into Halo the last few days and I havn't played since around 2010. I was decent but not great I got a 50, in Slayer, doubles and lone wolves.

Since them days im now in my mid 30's, have a wife and kids and started a business I just don't have the time to play like it use to but I would like try to get as good as I can get for some reason lol

Most the guys I use to play with have either stopped playing or are playing WoW, D3 or LoL I know the best way to get good has always been playing with a team and playing MLG. At the moment my shot is pretty horrible and just overall playing bad, I have no desier to compete but I would like to just be able to hold my own and be a good player. I'm sure if i keep playing i'll start playing with people again but I can only get on a couple hours at night and would like to spend them the best way possible.

So for playing solo do you think seaching MLG alone would be the best or should I try to play lone wolves on my 50 and use that to try to get good again or trying to set up FFA customs?

basically do you think playing FFA or MLG alone is better to work on individual skill?

thanks

making a quick edit but mabye 1v1s on guardian/midship would be the best would get some snipe work as well. any opinions on 1v1s?

• Upvote (+1) 1

May I ask what has sparked this pursuit of Halo skill again?

Because just thinking about searching Halo 3 solo makes my heart hurt, you're a better man than I. 

If you are not trying to compete, then just play whatever playlist you have fun playing. You are going to need to use a gun in every playlist, so you will eventually get your aim back. Don't stress, have fun - you'll be good. 

May I ask what has sparked this pursuit of Halo skill again?

Because just thinking about searching Halo 3 solo makes my heart hurt, you're a better man than I. 

If you are not trying to compete, then just play whatever playlist you have fun playing. You are going to need to use a gun in every playlist, so you will eventually get your aim back. Don't stress, have fun - you'll be good. 

Just a competitive person by nature so when I do anything i want to be good. Same goes for gaming when i play LoL Its always ranked, when play or do anything i want to be on the top so its not so much pursuit of halo skill as much as just playing halo again and i don't want to be bad

Definitely go with Lone Wolves to work yourself back into it. That's what I would do. High level MLG might be too intense/frustrating at first after coming back from a long lay off. Lone Wolves will serve as a nice way to get your aim and reaction time back. Veto for BR starts. Then after awhile when you feel comfortable enough, I would try out MLG.

Maybe you'll make a friend on XBL along the way and have a chance at custom games. From there you could do 1v1s and Octagons, with the latter a chance to greatly help your aim.

I did a bit of 1v1s early in reach with I would have done more guardian 1v1s in H3 I really enjoyed that, do you think 1v1s help to build that individual skill?  I felt like it helped my snipe more than anything else.

The biggest thing is I just don't have the time to log the hours in that I use to so I'm just looking for the most efficient way

Sure, 1v1s can help. Hopefully you're playing a player close to your skill level. Doesn't help routing lower skilled players. Do Octagons too. Lots of them.

If you play team games, try to help your teammates instead of expecting them to help you.  Don't get upset when you and random teammates don't work well together.

Playing any type of FFAs usually help me weather its LoneWolves, Rumble Pit, or even Custom Games.  Going in by yourself in any Ranked Team playlist never really helps your skill because its just a flip of a coin cause your teammates skill an if they have mics or not.  Well from my experience. 

when playing. Take it upon yourself to be the difference in the game. When you see something not being done do it whether that be slaying, objective or what gaining top position. Its easy to complain to teamates who you dont know or arent talking but just focus.

my best advice stick with Halo 3 at least you get matched up with similar opponents and teammates. Reach/Halo 4 is the worst Halos to go into solo. 

H3 is still probably your best bet right now even thought there are cheaters running most playlists. H4 is fun, but you have to become a backout warrior if you want decent matches. 

Reach solo is stat suicide, but I don't know why you'd want to play that anyway. 

H3 is still probably your best bet right now even thought there are cheaters running most playlists. H4 is fun, but you have to become a backout warrior if you want decent matches. 

Reach solo is stat suicide, but I don't know why you'd want to play that anyway. 

What do you mean a backout warrior? What does backing out in H4 gain you?

Also I added a edit about 1v1s I remember playing a ton of guardian 1v1s back before midship came to H3 and they helped my snipe a ton and slowed down my charging a lot so maybe running a bunch of 1v1s might be the way to go.

So i've been getting back into Halo the last few days and I havn't played since around 2010. I was decent but not great I got a 50, in Slayer, doubles and lone wolves.

Since them days im now in my mid 30's, have a wife and kids and started a business I just don't have the time to play like it use to but I would like try to get as good as I can get for some reason lol

Most the guys I use to play with have either stopped playing or are playing WoW, D3 or LoL I know the best way to get good has always been playing with a team and playing MLG. At the moment my shot is pretty horrible and just overall playing bad, I have no desier to compete but I would like to just be able to hold my own and be a good player. I'm sure if i keep playing i'll start playing with people again but I can only get on a couple hours at night and would like to spend them the best way possible.

So for playing solo do you think seaching MLG alone would be the best or should I try to play lone wolves on my 50 and use that to try to get good again or trying to set up FFA customs?

basically do you think playing FFA or MLG alone is better to work on individual skill?

thanks

making a quick edit but mabye 1v1s on guardian/midship would be the best would get some snipe work as well. any opinions on 1v1s?

FFAs over and over and over. It's possibly not the most fun way but you'll see marked improvement doing it. Or tons of octagon.

8 man FFA's i feel help more then anything for building individual skill. When i play FFA, i really focus on training 2 things:

My hearing: Listening for battles & amount of shots fired, amount of times i hear shields flicker in that battle to determine how weak they are without call outs, shields popping, foot steps, nades bouncing around, weapons respawning, sound of guns reloading, and even the sound people respawning around me. All of these things can be clearly heard if you're listening for them, and ALOT of information can be gathered from it.

My shot: This is easy if it's really what you want to work on. Just challenge EVERYTHING. Even if you're 2 shots down and have to turn around to fight. Do it. Turn and fight everything. Just shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Never back down, and constantly turn and shoot at people. Your aim and awareness will increase drastically over time. Practice makes perfect... Or at least makes you better.

Focus on your positioning if you're going in without a team. If you can adapt to random people's play styles (provided they know what they're doing), this ultimately makes you better. Being able to adapt to any situation and act accordingly is one of the keys to individual skill in Halo, and this skill can be sharpened a lot by learning the team game.