Sign in to follow this  
Gangly

The Importance of Growing the Local Community

Makes online less stressful? Less motivation to LAN? 

I would love to see that happen.

Servers make online play less laggy because everyone is hooking up to their nearest server right? What I mean is that if there is a Server farm in Dallas, Texas, I am most likely to play on that server than one in New York. However, If I'm from Oklahoma and another person lives in Dallas then that person would have an advantage over me because of latency. Now lets say the two best teams in the world live on the east coast and the west coast. No matter what server they play on one team is going to have the advantage.

And that is why we have LAN tournaments. It is the most neutral way to determine who is best. I don't know if you were around but during Halo 2's lifespan there was the saying, and I'm probably butchering this but, "prove it on LAN" which basically meant I lost but it was your host advantage. Even though host on Halo 2 LAN still had advantages it was still the best way to prove who was actually better and I would assume still will be into the foreseeable future.

If you think about it, with dedicated servers there would be a definite regional weighting, because you are always more likely to play on the server closest to you with the people who are around you. So you play those people often online, and you develop rivalries and stuff. Go to sign up for a LAN in your area, and who else is signed up - all the people you played against online. :walshy:

If dedicated servers accidentally encourage an FGC-style regionalization of Halo communities, that would be cool. So you could have SoCal vs Norcal, Tristate vs DMV, all kinds of stuff. Just because you're more likely to play against those that are closer to you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Servers make online play less laggy because everyone is hooking up to their nearest server right? What I mean is that if there is a Server farm in Dallas, Texas, I am most likely to play on that server than one in New York. However, If I'm from Oklahoma and another person lives in Dallas then that person would have an advantage over me because of latency. Now lets say the two best teams in the world live on the east coast and the west coast. No matter what server they play on one team is going to have the advantage.

And that is why we have LAN tournaments. It is the most neutral way to determine who is best. I don't know if you were around but during Halo 2's lifespan there was the saying, and I'm probably butchering this but, "prove it on LAN" which basically meant I lost but it was your host advantage. Even though host on Halo 2 LAN still had advantages it was still the best way to prove who was actually better and I would assume still will be into the foreseeable future.

Idk if you were around but when XBC was the only way to play online it was almost unplayable off host. Therefore we were constantly on the hunt and synchronizing schedules with the good players in our area. 

MCC will be lag free. Very enjoyable to play compared to all other before it, regardless who has the geographical advantage. 

I'll give you a great example of a guy I know who has literally never been to a local LAN yet has won his first event and placed pro at many different events....Jerawockee. The guy lives right down the street yet never leaves his house and is doing amazing at events all without ever lanning or getting involved in the local community. 

It's just not necessary anymore. I hate it, but thats the sign of the times.

Idk if you were around but when XBC was the only way to play online it was almost unplayable off host. Therefore we were constantly on the hunt and synchronizing schedules with the good players in our area. 

MCC will be lag free. Very enjoyable to play compared to all other before it, regardless who has the geographical advantage. 

I'll give you a great example of a guy I know who has literally never been to a local LAN yet has won his first event and placed pro at many different events....Jerawockee. The guy lives right down the street yet never leaves his house and is doing amazing at events all without ever lanning or getting involved in the local community. 

It's just not necessary anymore. I hate it, but thats the sign of the times.

You must be talking about playing CE on xbc? I never experienced massive amounts of lag with Halo 2 on live or xbc.

MCC will not be lag free. If east coast joins up on a west coast server there will be lag for that east coast player and vice versa. If anyone who has a bad connection right now then they will still lag. I will always be lagging behind someone who lives closer to a server farm.

You'll have to tell me more about Jerawockee. However, my point is that the grass roots approach is a way to get Halo back to the top of console esports. The same way Smash has risen up from being dropped and is now part of the MLG pro circuit again. I mean before MLG picked up CoD there was grass roots events for that and I don't follow that community closely but I'm sure other organizations are throwing tournaments right now other than MLG.  That is what is grass roots to me. Multiple tournaments by different people.

@Bold I think there are many other factors to why LANs have seen decline and I don't believe they started to decline until the very end of Halo 3. The biggest factor being the recession and closing down on LAN centers.

What do dedicated servers have to do with anything? I, in my original post, was suggesting we go back. Which means screw the one pick up an original xbox for $30 and a 360 for $100. And play the original trilogy. The one not having LAN support is possibly the greatest thing to happen to anyone who wants to go the FGC route.

I don't think it's that Halo community doesn't care about AM events. I think it's the production (Including video editing, music, time management etc) value of those tournaments. I think Jeeynus' Halo CE lan will have some high quality video production and you'll see alot hits on those particular videos.

We are divided and united. The original trilogy is what we have tried to mold the last two games after. Heck Halo 3 MLG settings tried to emulate Halo 2. So it's possible to do it with these three games and even add games. I mean CoD is no where near the PC games in terms of viewers. So eventually we might see some type of fps fragfest with multiple titles just like evo.

You can't expect all AM events to have high production values.  New Media requires a lot of time, work, and education to be really good at and you really can't expect every single AM event to have those kind of people in them.  The people very qualified and professional in New Media usually require some kind of compensation before the'll do anything.  Thus, most AM tournaments aren't going to be that good when it comes to editing.

The whole point of an AM tournament is to be of lower quality than professional company sponsored tournaments.  It's made by the players for the players.  Personally I love crappy editing etc. it shows me that the tournament is much more laid back and not super serious about making profit.  The ones that look very professional are professional because of profit, not because they care about the game in particular.

I am intrigued by the regional server thing. I bet it could help local scenes too. If I saw a big Missouri server, I would stay in it mostly. Yes, for the connection. But also because I like the idea of getting to meet people from around me. It would be really beat if they would let us post things on the server. Like, if I was holding a LAN or tournament in Missouri, I could post it on the Missouri server and it pop up when they join it. That could reach a MASSIVE amount of people.

I am intrigued by the regional server thing. I bet it could help local scenes too. If I saw a big Missouri server, I would stay in it mostly. Yes, for the connection. But also because I like the idea of getting to meet people from around me. It would be really beat if they would let us post things on the server. Like, if I was holding a LAN or tournament in Missouri, I could post it on the Missouri server and it pop up when they join it. That could reach a MASSIVE amount of people.

right now there is only a VA, chicago, TX, and CA server.

it's an alright spread, but it sucks for certain people like players in orgeon, florida, and above the tristate, and every1 in canada

e8b99b7198.jpg

Just joined up, hopefully this group gets big enough to have LANs, tourneys, etc..

Thats the plan! I'm assuming you saw the event we just posted about the FFA/2v2 tourney in NJ? It would be great if you could make it out there!

You must be talking about playing CE on xbc? I never experienced massive amounts of lag with Halo 2 on live or xbc.

MCC will not be lag free. If east coast joins up on a west coast server there will be lag for that east coast player and vice versa. If anyone who has a bad connection right now then they will still lag. I will always be lagging behind someone who lives closer to a server farm.

You'll have to tell me more about Jerawockee. However, my point is that the grass roots approach is a way to get Halo back to the top of console esports. The same way Smash has risen up from being dropped and is now part of the MLG pro circuit again. I mean before MLG picked up CoD there was grass roots events for that and I don't follow that community closely but I'm sure other organizations are throwing tournaments right now other than MLG.  That is what is grass roots to me. Multiple tournaments by different people.

yeah ce

were u being sarcastic about jerawockee?

cod stayed big because more and more online tournaments were popping up, not locals. (gamebattles was a huge part as well)

You can't expect all AM events to have high production values.  New Media requires a lot of time, work, and education to be really good at and you really can't expect every single AM event to have those kind of people in them.  The people very qualified and professional in New Media usually require some kind of compensation before the'll do anything.  Thus, most AM tournaments aren't going to be that good when it comes to editing.

The whole point of an AM tournament is to be of lower quality than professional company sponsored tournaments.  It's made by the players for the players.  Personally I love crappy editing etc. it shows me that the tournament is much more laid back and not super serious about making profit.  The ones that look very professional are professional because of profit, not because they care about the game in particular.

I'm not expecting anything crazy taking the eight PoV's of a finals game and slapping up a map graphic wouldn't take much though. If someone wanted to go all out and do a weeks worth of editing though that's ok with me too though haha.

yeah ce

were u being sarcastic about jerawockee?

cod stayed big because more and more online tournaments were popping up, not locals. (gamebattles was a huge part as well)

Haha no I wasn't joking. I can't keep up with everyone.

I'd have to disagree just quick google and you'll seen LAN for CoD Ghost and Black Ops from two years back. You'd have to get through MLG and gamebattles first since google ranks those higher but they are there. That's not to say that gamebattles and online tournaments didn't play apart in it though. We'll just have to agree to disagree.