Sign in to follow this  
Gangly

The Importance of Growing the Local Community

wow this is awesome, i'm from nj 

i'm really surprised the tristate doesnt have a big lan scene already, just cause of the dense population and overall population 

i'll try and be active

• Upvote (+1) 1

Joined.

The local Halo scene where I live in South Jersey is pretty much a subset of the fighting game community.  I go to the Nerd Palace in Absecon, if anyone lives nearby.

We have one called Midwest Halo on Facebook that is mostly Missouri and Kansas people with some people from Arkansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Colorado, and probably more that I don't remember. We organize lans and tournaments and others and I post about halo news from here mostly. We used to be pretty active with LANs and some tournaments, but they really slowed with the decline during h4. For me, it felt like many were so active in the local scene because of the ultimate goal of going to mlg, so that slowed with the loss of mlg. I believe it will kick back up if UGC and others can get a good big scene going. I do agree that locals are important though. I find my local scene a bit more fun because I just feel like more pride is at stake because I'm playing against people I know and want to be among the best in my area.

The local community in my area (Evansville, IN) quit after the 2012 Dallas Exhibition.  It was a very strong group from H2-Reach, sad to see them go they put so much dedication into the Halo series as a whole and I give them mad props.

I've been talking about the importance of a grass roots for awhile now. Halo has some unique obstacles to overcome though.

1. There is a new Halo game coming out every other year now. Where in Smash Bros. it's like one a console generation?
  2. What game is the standard, do we only want one game?
  3. Settings. We are not even in agreement with that settings or even map rotation should be.
  4. Locations.
  5. Expectations.

So lets attack my first and second points. We should not hold local CE, H2, H3, Reach, or H4 tournaments. At least not at the very beginning. Instead we should try and combine games into a frag fest. An all day grind it out tournament with two to the three games. I feel like that would get the most turnout for a local Lan while also giving players what they really want which is the opportunity to compete. Personally I'd say go with the golden age of Halo and do CE, H2, and H3. Lets face it after H3 there was a downward spiral even though some of us enjoyed Reach over H3 because of the hitscan utility weapon. However every region in US/Europe/Australia is going to be different maybe the area where you live prefer H3 over CE and that is just something that you would have to deal with in your own scene.

And then there is what happens when the next big thing drops? Do we just quit and start playing that? I believe that the Smash and FGC as a whole has shown other gamers that we don't have to move on. We can still have CE tournaments, H2 Lans, H3 etc and be successful in our own way.

OK so the next thing to address is settings. Now the most awful thing about forge has been that we completely remake a game. If we are just playing the original trilogy then fine we already have our competitive settings; which we could deviate from since its grassroots and not centralized like we were under MLG. However the most frustrating things about having options is we can't agree on anything. So maybe if from here on out if 343I doesn't create the game we want then we just don't touch it. Let it die and be enjoyed by others instead of trying to force our will on others.

Alright last two points locations and expectations. Where do we hold these 1 A Day Halo FPS Marathons at? What is an acceptable venue? Someone's house, a barn? A make shift tent? And I'd have to say fuck it, pitch up one of those military tents our service men and women use or that old that old pink barn and lets play. Prize money! Will never be huge. However, if we were to throw a 32 man 2v2 tournament I'd like for the payout to cover at least the top eight teams. Not a large lump sum for 1-3 but spread out evenly. I live in Oklahoma. I wouldn't go to an event expecting to win however if would be nice if i got top eight and was able to use it as gas money for the next event.

We as a community would have to be more accepting to delays and things also. MLG ran a tight ship, I remember hearing how AGL was sloppy and poorly managed. But that's how most of these would be ran. In fact when coming to a local LAN I would expect to be playing other games and not just Halo. That's all I can think about off the top of my head.

P.s. Grass roots  is about the community so bring an extra controller because you know someone is going to forget.

Halo 1 was grassroots and it was amazing.

Why did Melee continue to be grassroots while Halo 2, 3, Reach and 4 saw a huge decline in local tournaments and LANs? 

Online. 

Melee in its purest form still does not have a online feature so its an absolute NECESSITY to meet up with locals if you want to be competitive and improve your skill. 

It's unrealistic to say that people need to drive hours and hours when they could do the same thing at home against even better competition.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, I'd LOVE to see our local scene grow to what it once was. It's just not going to happen. (especially with Dedicated servers and the lack of LAN support)

Why did Melee continue to be grassroots while Halo 2, 3, Reach and 4 saw a huge decline in local tournaments and LANs? 

Online. 

Melee in its purest form still does not have a online feature so its an absolute NECESSITY to meet up with locals if you want to be competitive and improve your skill. 

It's unrealistic to say that people need to drive hours and hours when they could do the same thing at home against even better competition.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, I'd LOVE to see our local scene grow to what it once was. It's just not going to happen. (especially with Dedicated servers and the lack of LAN support)

I really disagree, for two main reasons.

1. The Halo community has proved time and time again that people are not dedicated to online tournaments (look at every MLG qualifier, as well as The Lan Networks online tournament). People are much more reliable in LAN tournaments. With that said, if people want to grow, Online Tournaments are not the way to go. If they were, we would be seeing many more online tournaments succeed by now.

2. Competitive gamers want to feel professional. There is something about driving to an actual venue, winning your rounds, playing friendlies, and leaving with $50, just to see the rebroadcast of yourself playing at home that you can't replicate online. People WANT that feeling. I truly believe that people are willing to get involved locally, they just need the outlets for it to happen, and the support from the rest of their local community.

I truly believe that people are willing to get involved locally, they just need the outlets for it to happen, and the support from the rest of their local community.

Disagree, Halo has spoilt child syndrome, where anything that isint MLG isint good enough for them. Local/grassroots Halo is practically non existant. Its 2014 and Halo players still cant get over MLG.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Disagree, Halo has spoilt child syndrome, where anything that isint MLG isint good enough for them. Local/grassroots Halo is practically non existant.

I have to agree, and the only reason I feel that way is, if its not MLG I just automatically assume theyre casuals and i dont want to be a part of that.

if its not MLG I just automatically assume theyre casuals and i dont want to be a part of that.

What

This is how I feel with my local community. I think off and on that I'm the only one in my area that likes to play halo. I'm in Califorina (So-Cal) and I can't find anyone. I even started a Facebook group and I'm in the same situation as you it's a real bummer hopefully halo will grow when MCC comes out because all the kids play cod in my area and it disappoints me. I hope your area gets a bigger turn up!

I'm from Pennsylvania in the suburbs outside Philly and I had no idea there were any sort of LANs going on. I would easily drive up to an hour or more (if other people came with me) to LAN any Halo. I'm currently trying to get my hands on an Xbox 360 because Xbox One doesn't have any good games as of now and H3 is actually making an online comeback (somewhat).

Awesome group. Joined.

Been trying to convince others about this since I first learned of these forums.  But you will mostly hear excuses whenever you try to bring this truth up.  The sad truth is that the majority of the halo competitive community including it's prominent members such as pros don't want to make the sacrifices required to keep competitive Halo running when huge companies aren't around to pay the bill.

And these sacrifices aren't just financial.  The community absolutely refuses to switch to a more realistic and sustainable tournament setup, IE 2v2.  The community absolutely refuses to decide which Halo game to support for all time.  And the community refuses to accept any kind of responsibility when bad things happen.  The only way competitive Halo is going to survive without company support is if the community accepts the responsibilities required to keep it alive and for everyone involved to have realistic expectations.  For example, pros not expecting huge payouts and people involved running the tournament shouldn't expect to make profits.  Most things are going to be at a loss when things are local.

Fighting games stay around, because the majority of their communities are absolutely willing to make their lives worse off to make sure their games keep their place at tournaments.  Until I see Halo players make the same commitments, I fail to see competitive Halo if it does get a rebirth from MCC to survive another MLG abandonment.  You can't expect companies to support a game forever, and when it does lose it's popularity it falls upon the community to make the sacrifices needed to keep it alive.  

In 2014 there's a couple things you need to be doing to get a grassroots scene going.

1. Stream Your Locals

2. Publicize

Twitter, Facebook groups, Reddit, whatever it may be - Get the word out and PR your ass off. Tell people where it is, where it can be found. They'll show up to watch your stream, maybe get interested, if they live in the area they'll think about going to the next one.

3. Regular Events

Predictable time and place.

I'm from Pennsylvania in the suburbs outside Philly and I had no idea there were any sort of LANs going on. I would easily drive up to an hour or more (if other people came with me) to LAN any Halo. I'm currently trying to get my hands on an Xbox 360 because Xbox One doesn't have any good games as of now and H3 is actually making an online comeback (somewhat).

Awesome group. Joined.

Awesome! There is a 2v2/FFA tournament going on in North Jersey in August that I'll be posting about soon. If you can, try to add any friends you have who may in interested in local events to the page! Thanks for the join.

I think one thing you guys need to consider which I have also on this topic. When Halo 2 and Halo 3 were the big thing which I was in high school/college almost everyone was playing it to a certain degree (competitive, casually). Most people now that played those games are now growing into adults with responsibilities, families and bigger priorities. I would mention Call of Duty franchise took some of my best friends away from playing Halo, but that's for a different discussion.  

I think one thing you guys need to consider which I have also on this topic. When Halo 2 and Halo 3 were the big thing which I was in high school/college almost everyone was playing it to a certain degree (competitive, casually). Most people now that played those games are now growing into adults with responsibilities, families and bigger priorities. I would mention Call of Duty franchise took some of my best friends away from playing Halo, but that's for a different discussion.  

That makes some sense, but fighting games like SF have been around much longer than Halo and despite people having "lives and responsibilities" they are able to keep their games alive and well on the local scenes.  The difference is that gamers from fighting games see their favorite games as something to keep alive instead of just memories.  They have much deeper connections with their fellow gamers than shooter communities do.  Whenever a TO tells the FGC that they need extra money to help the event, the community is just throwing them money and doing whatever it takes to make their game at the tournament.  I've seen people literally give away their rent money for a particular month, just to help with donations.  That's commitment that I have never seen for Halo or any other shooter ever.

Halo's community can learn a lot from fighting games.  And honestly the most important thing to learn is that if you want something badly, you will do anything for it.  I've seen maybe 5 Halo players total sleep in their cars for a tournament in my whole life, while I've seen a crap ton fighting gamers back then sleeping in their cars because they couldn't afford a room at a motel.  FGC gamers deserve mad respect for what they do and what they have been through these past few decades.  MLG spoiled Halo's communities in so many ways after the 04 season.  I just hope the damage can be undone.  I hope the Halo community can grow up past being spoiled and expecting large companies to pay the bills.  Not to mention Bungie and 343 destroying competitive merit in later Halo titles. 

That makes some sense, but fighting games like SF have been around much longer than Halo and despite people having "lives and responsibilities" they are able to keep their games alive and well on the local scenes.  The difference is that gamers from fighting games see their favorite games as something to keep alive instead of just memories.  They have much deeper connections with their fellow gamers than shooter communities do.  Whenever a TO tells the FGC that they need extra money to help the event, the community is just throwing them money and doing whatever it takes to make their game at the tournament.  I've seen people literally give away their rent money for a particular month, just to help with donations.  That's commitment that I have never seen for Halo or any other shooter ever.

Halo's community can learn a lot from fighting games.  And honestly the most important thing to learn is that if you want something badly, you will do anything for it.  I've seen maybe 5 Halo players total sleep in their cars for a tournament in my whole life, while I've seen a crap ton fighting gamers back then sleeping in their cars because they couldn't afford a room at a motel.  FGC gamers deserve mad respect for what they do and what they have been through these past few decades.  MLG spoiled Halo's communities in so many ways after the 04 season.  I just hope the damage can be undone.  I hope the Halo community can grow up past being spoiled and expecting large companies to pay the bills.  Not to mention Bungie and 343 destroying competitive merit in later Halo titles. 

Here is the thing though, because the Halo community is so divided and doesn't care about watching AM tournaments, it makes it very hard for local community members to rally the larger community around a smaller grass-roots event. I would say this applies to all competitive communities in Halo like BTB not just the MLG scene.

The FGC supports multiple fighting games making their base large and rally's around a game when it in need because their scene is united and doesn't have much politics interfering with their scene like the console shooter scene does. 

That is why the developer(a central voice) with the help of a tournament organizer doing tournament promotion in-game through special "tournament weapon skins" or otherwise like CS:GO does would be a much more effective approach to raise money for tournaments especially for something like the MCC which the whole MP community will be playing. I expect to see a MUCH more active grass-roots scene with the release of the MCC but that is just me.

We have one called Midwest Halo on Facebook that is mostly Missouri and Kansas people with some people from Arkansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Colorado, and probably more that I don't remember. We organize lans and tournaments and others and I post about halo news from here mostly. We used to be pretty active with LANs and some tournaments, but they really slowed with the decline during h4. For me, it felt like many were so active in the local scene because of the ultimate goal of going to mlg, so that slowed with the loss of mlg. I believe it will kick back up if UGC and others can get a good big scene going. I do agree that locals are important though. I find my local scene a bit more fun because I just feel like more pride is at stake because I'm playing against people I know and want to be among the best in my area.

Shit. Never knew about this. I'm in STL. Just send a join request. 

I love this thread today, as I'm wearing a "Support your Local Business" shirt. 

Bungie really dropped the ball from straying away from original awesomeness of Halo, I didn't mind the NBNS settings which were very good, but by the time those settings came out most people left the scene by then. That's the thing with fighting games every new game doesn't stray too far away from the feel you got from the previous titles. If they would've built on the successes of the Halo 1-3, most people wouldn't have left the community.  I understand that games need to evolve, but taking elements from Call of Duty just for a quick dollar grab isn't good or innovative at all.  Most people quit playing Halo 4 by January 2013, but it supposedly had the most sales out of any Halo game, that's good and all, but the population as of just today speaks otherwise.

Online. 

@Bold I think there are many other factors to why LANs have seen decline and I don't believe they started to decline until the very end of Halo 3. The biggest factor being the recession and closing down on LAN centers.

What do dedicated servers have to do with anything? I, in my original post, was suggesting we go back. Which means screw the one pick up an original xbox for $30 and a 360 for $100. And play the original trilogy. The one not having LAN support is possibly the greatest thing to happen to anyone who wants to go the FGC route.

Here is the thing though, because the Halo community is so divided and doesn't care about watching AM tournaments, it makes it very hard for local community members to rally the larger community around a smaller grass-roots event. I would say this applies to all competitive communities in Halo like BTB not just the MLG scene.

The FGC supports multiple fighting games making their base large and rally's around a game when it in need because their scene is united and doesn't have much politics interfering with their scene like the console shooter scene does. 

That is why the developer(a central voice) with the help of a tournament organizer doing tournament promotion in-game through special "tournament weapon skins" or otherwise like CS:GO does would be a much more effective approach to raise money for tournaments especially for something like the MCC which the whole MP community will be playing. I expect to see a MUCH more active grass-roots scene with the release of the MCC but that is just me.

I don't think it's that Halo community doesn't care about AM events. I think it's the production (Including video editing, music, time management etc) value of those tournaments. I think Jeeynus' Halo CE lan will have some high quality video production and you'll see alot hits on those particular videos.

We are divided and united. The original trilogy is what we have tried to mold the last two games after. Heck Halo 3 MLG settings tried to emulate Halo 2. So it's possible to do it with these three games and even add games. I mean CoD is no where near the PC games in terms of viewers. So eventually we might see some type of fps fragfest with multiple titles just like evo.

What do dedicated servers have to do with anything? I, in my original post, was suggesting we go back. Which means screw the one pick up an original xbox for $30 and a 360 for $100. And play the original trilogy. The one not having LAN support is possibly the greatest thing to happen to anyone who wants to go the FGC route.

Makes online less stressful? Less motivation to LAN? 

I would love to see that happen.

Dude... that's so false lol. There's tons of SF players hating on KOF, traditional vs anime, 'accepted' anime vs 'poverty' anime, old vs new, everybody hating on smash, smash hating on everyone else, etc etc.

I too expect to see a groundswell of support for grassroots with the MCC, just because as people play the games again, they will be reminded why they loved them in the first place, and now that it's 2014 people will automatically think of how to apply that in an esports way. With Smash's resurgence, the idea of grassroots is totally in everyone's mind.