Sign in to follow this  
Evan

Halo 5 Announced for 2014

What if they used that cloud software to get other players' play style and implemented it as AI in the multiplayer. Kind of like they did with Forza. 

If they coupled this with a working skill matching system they could pull player data across the whole skill spectrum the system supports, and players could hopefully be able to play against bots which approximately match the average skill level of the selected division/rank number/etc.

As for make or break features I actually want to see - it's all core mechanics. I don't care much about ancillary features like a ranking system, player customisation etc (although customisable items sold as cheap DLC is something I actually support).

To make this game great again movement absolutely has to feel as responsive as it was in either Halo CE or Halo 2; coming to a complete stop before changing direction and feeling like we're sliding around is simply more frustrating than it is fun. Ideally this would also get rid of sprint as a default ability - if it has to be in the game it should really be a player trait that can be toggled on and off in gametype creation.

After movement the next thing is to make sure that the weapon and ability sandbox is powerful, consistent, and well balanced. Again, this is as much for the sake of fun as it is for competitive value - it's more fun to kill people with powerful weapons that work well than it is to use ineffective weaponry along the lines of most of the Halo 3 duals, Reach AR, or Halo 3 Magnum. Feedback to the player in terms of responsiveness, visual and sound effects, (and vibration if enabled) has to be tight, this is a huge aspect in making games fun as it makes the player feel more in control.

The final core thing I will touch on is that vehicle balance needs to be done much better - vehicle weaponry needs to reward skilled use, but vehicle should be durable enough that they can be fun to use and break up the regular flow of combat a little for even lesser skilled players without being strong enough that any single vehicle could roll unsupported through a group of players who are competent at the game.

After core changes I would like to see a significant feature improvements, specifically in the cases of Forge & Theatre - the latter should also encompass a spectator mode, and the former should give significantly more creative potential to users without becoming notably more complicated to control. More (working!) options in custom gametype creation would also be a huge boon for community driven gametypes.

Out of the box maps need to be better balanced in terms of scale - If the game launches with 10 maps I would say that there needs to be a good variety such as 3 "small" (Midship - Lockout scale) maps, ideally each encompassing a different style (symmetrical arena, asymmetric platform based, asymmetric room based, etc), 4 "medium" (Construct - Solace sized) maps, again of various styles, 2 large (Meltdown - Zanzibar sized) maps, and one giant map (Blood Gulch - Sandtrap or anything in between). The maps need to promote variety and longevity without sacrificing competitive viability for their intended playlists and gametypes. Every playlist, particularly Doubles, Team Slayer/Objective, and BTB all need to offer variety in terms of design, scale, and aesthetic without being at the cost of good balance in order to keep solid populations.

Now for the non-gameplay aspects: For starters I would like to see the ability to rent or purchase servers for custom games - this could be a great solution for host advantage in online tournaments and would generally make it possible for players to make custom games more enjoyable for themselves.

A solid ranking system would obviously help motivate a lot of players, but there has to be a ranked/social divide to both separate out the less serious playlists like Action Sack, and also to give players who just want to play a basic game and not worry about "ladder anxiety" a place to have fun.

Finally, I actually support microtransaction style DLC for weapon & armour skins and such - it doesn't hurt anyone to not have it, and it can keep things fresh for players who enjoy customisation.

If 343 can pull most of that off I would be very happy indeed with Halo 5.

I think Chief could be on the run from the UNSC or something. I mean, covering himself in a cloak wouldn't do much to hide himself from Forerunners, but humans rely on their eyes. 

And, they have a 300+ studio. A 3 year dev cycle probably isn't needed nowadays. Just like Destiny is on a two year release cycle, Halo may head that way now.

A complete new Destiny game will not launch every two years, it is built to last 10. An expansion of sorts is what will be released.

A complete new Destiny game will not launch every two years, it is built to last 10. An expansion of sorts is what will be released.

Well, a two year dev cycle is what the leaked contract detailed, but those details are indeed outdated so, you're right, it's not exactly that.

Still, though, a 300+ studio can probably reasonably well churn out games in a good fashion in two year dev cycles.

not buying it on release , lol might not even buy the xbox tbh

I just dont have any faith in M$ and 343 products anymore

• Downvote (-1) 1

I hope that full sand cape thing is part of the new customizable armor, that thing is epic!

Dedicated servers sounds like a good addition. I'm excited to see how 343 makes h5, they got a lot of shit for h4 but you have to admit - within a year of release date it's already looking 100x better.

• Upvote (+1) 3