Sign in to follow this  
Pyroteq

Server upgrade

Am I the only person that tries to load a new page in a thread and waits like 10 seconds for it to load?

It seems very slow compared to other IPB forums (including my own) that I've seen.

It's not fast and snappy like it should be.

Had this happen earlier today - mainly because we were getting slammed due to Sundance and MLG retweeting @@Proto's article about Walshy. 

The site tends to only slow down when we're doing maintenance or we're getting hit hard with traffic. Everything is functioning normally right now. 

Had this happen earlier today - mainly because we were getting slammed due to Sundance and MLG retweeting @@Proto's article about Walshy. 

The site tends to only slow down when we're doing maintenance or we're getting hit hard with traffic. Everything is functioning normally right now. 

It always seems slow for me whilst other sites are fine. Is the server slow for international traffic perhaps? I can access all other American sites just fine but the page loading times sometimes take forever.

It always seems slow for me whilst other sites are fine. Is the server slow for international traffic perhaps? I can access all other American sites just fine but the page loading times sometimes take forever.

By any chance, does the top half of the page load pretty quick but then gets stuck?

By any chance, does the top half of the page load pretty quick but then gets stuck?

Yup. I'll see like, the top post only and then have to wait another 5 or so seconds until I can scroll down to read the rest of the thread.

A couple EU users including some of our staff have had the same issues, might have something to do with international traffic.

Yup. I'll see like, the top post only and then have to wait another 5 or so seconds until I can scroll down to read the rest of the thread.

Yeah, i get the same thing happening to me, it seems to be a problem with the top ad for some of us International folk. I'll get killed for this but, a work around is to block that top ad. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's probably just caused by the ad that is integrated into the posts then.

I'd prefer not to block ads for small guys like yourself.

I'm guessing you're using a plugin, as those ads aren't default IPB. Can you find a better plugin perhaps or find a way to optimise the plugin for international users?

Are you on ipad by chance? I've ran into issues where the top post would show then the rest would load seconds later.

The ads aren't using a plugin either.

Are you on ipad by chance? I've ran into issues where the top post would show then the rest would load seconds later.

The ads aren't using a plugin either.

Firefox v29.0 Windows 7.

PC is a beast.

It happens on the forum index as well actually which invalidates my statement about the integrated ad into the top post.

I also see: MLG_728x90_ATF_INTL

This appears to the left of the ads, not sure if this also appears for you guys, the INTL on the end I'm guessing is for "international", so it would appear that it's supposed to show something different for users outside North America?

It appears to the left of each ad on the page: Top/post/bottom.

I can send a screenshot if needed. Not sure if I can upload pictures here?

After further testing, it would appear that the page actually delays in loading for each ad.

When the page is frozen I also see that it's attempting to load from the ad servers, so it's 100% the ads causing the issues.

If I hard refresh the page and scroll down quickly, I'll actually see the page stop loading before each ad appears. So the very top banner will delay the loading time, then the integrated post will delay the loading, then finally the bottom one will delay the loading time.

Assuming there's no other option in how you wish to display the ads:

How are you displaying these ads on the page? If it's in the header or body code, I'd suggest removing it from there and putting it in the footer instead so they're the last thing to load.

Tested it with AdBlock enabled. Holy shit the pages load fast. That's the IPB I remember. Definitely something worth fixing, even if it's only affecting international viewers, otherwise it's going to encourage people to use AdBlock here.

Firefox v29.0 Windows 7.

PC is a beast.

It happens on the forum index as well actually which invalidates my statement about the integrated ad into the top post.

I also see: MLG_728x90_ATF_INTL

This appears to the left of the ads, not sure if this also appears for you guys, the INTL on the end I'm guessing is for "international", so it would appear that it's supposed to show something different for users outside North America?

It appears to the left of each ad on the page: Top/post/bottom.

I also see that: "MLG_728x90_ATF_INTL"

And the loading time is usualy around 2/3 seconds.

Sometimes i also have a large white area on the homepage. 

After the second row with articles and an ad. After this with space you can see the rest of the articles.

Some times i dont have this white space, but sometimes i have.

I also see that: "MLG_728x90_ATF_INTL"

And the loading time is usualy around 2/3 seconds.

Sometimes i also have a large white area on the homepage. 

After the second row with articles and an ad. After this with space you can see the rest of the articles.

Some times i dont have this white space, but sometimes i have.

If you can screencap this I would appreciate it.  Seems like EU users are having some trouble with ad loading times and seeing code, this doesnt happen for me at all ( I am in the US)  Any screencaps would be appreciated so I can pass it on and look into some fixes.

If you can screencap this I would appreciate it.  Seems like EU users are having some trouble with ad loading times and seeing code, this doesnt happen for me at all ( I am in the US)  Any screencaps would be appreciated so I can pass it on and look into some fixes.

VztfZKB.jpg

No adblock, decent spec PC at work on Chrome, UK badkid.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Page starting to load. Frozen trying to load the first ad. You can see down the bottom it's getting data from the ad servers:

SLVIvhn.png

Page loaded, you can see the text next to the ads which shouldn't be appearing:

IUJPZVU.png

Example of the index page. The first ad up the top has finished loading, scrolling down you see I'm unable to see the footer of the page because the 2nd ad hasn't finished loading. Again, you can see it's trying to download data from ad servers again:

AySP9Zu.png

VztfZKB.jpg

No adblock, decent spec PC at work on Chrome, UK badkid.

You're using Vista, I feel like this contradicts.

4Id8Eaa.jpg

Here you can see they White space, also you can see the "MLG_728x90_ATF_INTL" thing. (zoomed out a bit so you could see it better)

4Id8Eaa.jpg

Here you can see they White space, also you can see the "MLG_728x90_ATF_INTL" thing. (zoomed out a bit so you could see it better)

That is really odd - try clearing your cache and tell me if it still happens (the white space)

It seems like the MLG code at the top is only happening for European visitors, I will pass it along.

Thanks for all the screencaps guys!

Look into having the ads load last, or find a way to speed up the loading time for the ads please.

I'm curious if European visitors or other Oceanic users are experiencing the ad issues as well.

Look into having the ads load last, or find a way to speed up the loading time for the ads please.

I'm curious if European visitors or other Oceanic users are experiencing the ad issues as well.

I talked with our ad serving guys on Friday, they told me they will look into it.  Hopefully they can provide a fix, seems to be only happening for European users.

i honestly haven't had any problems with this sites load times

<- north american btw

• Upvote (+1) 1

i honestly haven't had any problems with this sites load times

<- north american btw

None of the American staff have issues either, seems to be Europe only I guess.

None of the American staff have issues either, seems to be Europe only I guess.

I'm guessing anyone outside of North America since I'm having issues in Australia. Not just Europe is effected.