Joseph

Halo & Scuf Controllers

Now let's just think about this... why don't you guys complain about people who use headsets such as Astros? Clearly having higher quality game sound with directional hearing is an advantage, right?

You can negate the "advantages" of a scuf by learning to claw. How do you negative the advantages of a headset?

Also, could someone explain to me why players in fgc players have no problem with many different input methods being allowed, while people on this forum want standardized equipment to be used?

It's nothing like steroids. If I buy a Razer Naga, are the extra buttons going to suddenly make me a Starcraft god? No. If I buy a fightpad, am I suddenly going to be able to hit every combo in Street Fighter? No. It's an alternate input method, you aren't going to magically be quadshotting everyone.

When you play any fighting game, you will hear people talk about the advantage of Arcade sticks and fightpads over standard controllers (better analog stick/dpad, better location for buttons letting you perform combos easier, etc.). Despite this, someone won Evo 2014 with a PS1 controller.

Alternate inputs are common in many competitive games, and I've never heard of anyone complaining about them giving an unfair advantage aside from people on these forums. If they work in other games, I see no reason as to why they wouldn't work in Halo.

But steroids don't make you magically get stronger, either. You still need to work out. If you don't, you will actually get fat. 

I don't like how they're too expensive. 

I know we have had countless Scuf threads, and we will probably have more, but this one is going to be simply weighing in on the pros and cons of Scuf controllers in eSports.

To be completely honest, Scuf should not be knocked for making the controller they did, IN FACT I think the Scuf is the way the xbox controller should have been shipped. The idea behind it was to claw without injuring your hands, which is a very respectable idea, in addition the Scuf does just that. Now my issue with the Scuf is that it is simply not available to everybody, technically everybody can buy one IF they had the money, but that is not saying much. Over the years gaming is becoming more about money, the more you have the more you can get.

Now let's just think about this... why don't you guys complain about people who use headsets such as Astros?  Clearly having higher quality game sound with directional hearing is an advantage, right? 

This is not a PRO scuf thread or an ANTI scuf thread, I'm just simply trying to make some analogies here. 

At the end of the day we are all most likely going to end up getting a scuf controller, ESPECIALLY if H2C is the game most orgs pick up.  You simply will not be able to keep up without one.

I just want people to stop complaining about Scufs, the fact is they are legal so you can choose to use one or you can choose to not, but if you choose to not use one, don't complain about them.

I'm not knocking Scuf, they are a great business model to follow for anyone trying to find a niche business to start. 

It's kind of PRO scuf / ANTI scuf thread. Your stance on whether or not they should be allowed in Halo is directly related to whether or not you like Scufs. People who post in this thread will naturally make it one. 

I think people are free to complain if the reason exact reason you don't use one is why in fact you don't like them.

But steroids don't make you magically get stronger, either. You still need to work out. If you don't, you will actually get fat. 

It's kind of PRO scuf / ANTI scuf thread. 

Off topic, taking steroids and not working doesn't make you fat.. simply not working will do that, the steroids are unrelated.

As far as the other statement, THIS thread is a pro / anti however the post you quoted was originally my own thread that a mod moved here. which is why I said that.

Off topic, taking steroids and not working doesn't make you fat.. simply not working will do that, the steroids are unrelated.

As far as the other statement, THIS thread is a pro / anti however the post you quoted was originally my own thread that a mod moved here. which is why I said that.

I was wondering what the hell happened with that. 

Me, a broke college student. I'm already worrying about buying an Xbox One, a new video game, and probably an extra regular controller for my roommate and I to use.

I don't believe in buying something outside of the sport to give you an unfair advantage. You could make the argument that it's just like steroid users in Football. You want to get good at football? Play it and practice it. Wanna get better than everyone else? Inject this into your leg, it'll make you run faster with ease. Wanna get good at Halo? Play it and practice it. Wanna get better? Buy this controller that makes it easier to outplay your opponents.

I played sports in highschool and there was always that one kid with 250$ cleats, newest compression sleeves, under armor etc... And another kid with holes in his 30$ cleats that would out run the other.

It's "eSports" for a reason. "Sports" almost attract speciality equipment makers. Does Tiger woods swing Walmart clubs? Travis Patrana ride a Chinese bike? Each sport has hard rules, and esports has the line at macro modded equipment and connection mods.

But each venue has the ability to pick rules, that's what I'm here to find out personally. See what this event could pick as the best rules.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played sports in highschool and there was always that one kid with 250$ cleats, newest compression sleeves, under armor etc... And another kid with holes in his 30$ cleats that would out run the other.

It's "eSports" for a reason. "Sports" almost attract speciality equipment makers. Does Tiger woods swing Walmart clubs? Travis Patrana ride a Chinese bike? Each sport has hard rules, and esports has the line at macro modded equipment and connection mods.

But each venue has the ability to pick rules, that's what I'm here to find out personally. See what this event could pick as the best rules.

It's not a sport. And Tiger Woods is sponsored, he doesn't pay for his clubs... Same with Pastrana. So that doesn't really work. I also don't understand how scuf is not considered modded equipment.

• Downvote (-1) 3

It's not a sport. And Tiger Woods is sponsored, he doesn't pay for his clubs... Same with Pastrana. So that doesn't really work. I also don't understand how scuf is not considered modded equipment.

A corked bat, so to speak?

all the ignorant idiots in here. this isn't PC gaming, all the PC related comments are completely irrelevant.

SCUF completely annihilated whatever little gunskill was left in call of duty by allowing all players to perform skill specific commands that they normally would have had a harder time performing or not at all prior to owning a scuf.

SCUF will do the same to halo, already has in halo 4. all the kids who couldn't handle playing default or bj or whatever shit they were on buy scufs and can immediately aim while jump strafing among other things. that shit won't fly in a game like halo 2 if they bring it back on the circuit.

if you want to PAY TO BE GOOD then by all means scuf it out. but it just means you're a weak minded, talentless scumbag.

Bottomline you're paying to utilize gunskills you wouldn't normally have without a SCUF with paddles on it.... you're paying to obtain skills in game you wouldn't normally have. and if "you can do them already" then congrats bro you just wasted a couple hundred bucks.

I agree, why is this neg repped?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I mean unfortunately they will probably be allowed, and everyone's going to have to get them to keep up... It totally takes away from the skill gap. And it ain't pure, man. It ain't pure. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

dont scuffs just allow you to press abxy without taking you thumb off the right stick like claw does. if that is the case then i see no problem with them being allowed as people that cant afford them can just learn to claw and everyone's going to use them online anyway. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

dont scuffs just allow you to press abxy without taking you thumb off the right stick like claw does. if that is the case then i see no problem with them being allowed as people that cant afford them can just learn to claw and everyone's going to use them online anyway. 

You act like you can just say, "you know what, I think I'm gonna start clawing today"

• Upvote (+1) 1

You act like you can just say, "you know what, I think I'm gonna start clawing today"

you'll need to learn to claw regardless for h2 if your not getting a scuff or if there banned so people are going to have to go " you know what, i think im gonna start learning to claw today"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not sure what to think. They're certainly a barrier to entry, but I do believe there is a reason why every other community allows things besides standard equipment to make gameplay more fluid. It really depends if you think clawing is skillful or not. Is being able to hold the controller in a non-traditional way skillful? 

you'll need to learn to claw regardless for h2 if your not getting a scuff or if there banned so people are going to have to go " you know what, i think im gonna start learning to claw today"

They could just play BJ

which requires a TON of practice and skill to master... which is exactly the point im making here. a scuf allows you to bypass all that hard work and dedication and skip to straight to the mastery part.

i dont need to claw to be decent at h2, i just won't be able to quad effectively

which requires a TON of practice and skill to master... which is exactly the point im making here. a scuf allows you to bypass all that hard work and dedication and skip to straight to the mastery part.

i dont need to claw to be decent at h2, i just won't be able to quad effectively

ok fair enough it takes skill and practice to master but most people will be using them online anyway for online tournaments and qualifiers and matchmaking so i dont see much point in banning them. the best players will win at lan regardless, johnysnpier52#snipingftw wont magically be as good as ogre 2 because he has a controller with the buttons moved to a better and more comfortable spot at the back of it   

Why not just learn to claw.. How could you say, "I'd rather spend $170 (probably multiple times throughout my gaming career) than learning to shoot with my middle finger and have my index up on the colored buttons"? When the possibility to play how you want to is already there, why spend a crap ton of money to do it? It's laziness and unwillingness to get good at the game.

(Dare I say, a similar situation to those who will buy MCC in hopes of being good only to quit when they aren't as good as they were in COD)

Bring on the neg rep

Why not just learn to claw.. How could you say, "I'd rather spend $170 (probably multiple times throughout my gaming career) than learning to shoot with my middle finger and have my index up on the colored buttons"? When the possibility to play how you want to is already there, why spend a crap ton of money to do it? It's laziness and unwillingness to get good at the game.

(Dare I say, a similar situation to those who will buy MCC in hopes of being good only to quit when they aren't as good as they were in COD)

Bring on the neg rep

I'd do that because when I claw it ends up making my hands hurt after awhile and to be totally honest 170$ isn't a lot to me vs comfort. Sure it would be a lot to some people but they can always learn to claw. Clawing isn't... idk hard? Sure it takes a little practice but being able to claw or not is not going to make you good at H2. I just never really saw it as a skill unto itself since it isn't that difficult and decision making, communication and positioning far outweigh it. 

I think there is definitely an argument that could be made as to how there is nothing skillful about being able to claw. It is simply holding the controller a different way. Just because it takes getting used to does not mean it's skillful; I doubt many would argue playing a different button layout than default is somehow more skillful. Yeah it's not quite the same but I feel it relates.

Again, idk yet

I didn't play Halo 2 when the BXR and BXB was huge, but didn't playing claw help like... indefinitely? 

I didn't play Halo 2 when the BXR and BXB was huge, but didn't playing claw help like... indefinitely? 

It helped being able to aim your beatdowns more than anything but there were, even at the very end, a few pros that just didn't claw at all and many more that did a kind of half claw thing. If you thought it looked like walshy's montage 24/7 or something with everyone ripping the quad shots constantly then no that didn't happen

It helped being able to aim your beatdowns more than anything but there were, even at the very end, a few pros that just didn't claw at all and many more that did a kind of half claw thing. If you thought it looked like walshy's montage 24/7 or something with everyone ripping the quad shots constantly then no that didn't happen

That much I did know. I knew people didn't pull out the button glitches like crazy, and I don't think it's necessary to play claw 100% of the time you're in game. I play semi-claw. When I need to, I use it. No carpal tunnel for me!