Joseph

Halo & Scuf Controllers

I'm sorry, but scufs really don't help that much. I've had one for ages now, and the only thing that actually proper helps is the no-slow aim. The paddles just replace the buttons, and don't help at all unless your right thumb has arthritis. Putting XYB on your scuf paddles won't make H2 glitches easier at all, just give a new way to do it. 

Even if we disregard the "fairness" aspect for a moment, players like Walshy became rockstars due, in part, to their ability to claw proficiently.  Do you think high level Halo is going to have that same draw and mystique when every random jerkoff is dub and quad shotting with scuffs?

This isn't even discussing the ramifications of how the game will play when every player is Walshy.

Uhm, I'm in support for no Scufs. I think you misread what I said unless I misunderstood.

thats sort of the same for most things that involve tournaments though.

Not really the same thing, Scufs aren't needed, they're just an expensive tool that make the gunplay easier. Stuff like plane tickets or anything else I mentioned is needed if you want to compete with other people either online or at LAN events. Of course some of this is a barrier for entry as not everyone can afford to fly out to events, sometimes across the other side of the country, but it's different than making people buy Scufs just because other people have them.

I was one of the first to "Yes" to Scufs at Halo events and I feel the biggest two arguments against their use is, 1) Button Combos may become easier  2)Barrier to entry 

If both are true(the second is 100%) then Scufs should be banned for the MCC, but not Halo 5. There wont be button Combos in H5, but there will be Bumper Jumper which is equivalent to Scufs. Either of those two points above (1.No button Combos 2.There is Bumper Jumper as their equal) would be out of the argument.

Uhm, I'm in support for no Scufs. I think you misread what I said unless I misunderstood.

Not really the same thing, Scufs aren't needed, they're just an expensive tool that make the gunplay easier. Stuff like plane tickets or anything else I mentioned is needed if you want to compete with other people either online or at LAN events. Of course some of this is a barrier for entry as not everyone can afford to fly out to events, sometimes across the other side of the country, but it's different than making people buy Scufs just because other people have them.

liability insurance is something that is needed in some sports but isn't required as a personal hobby.

Even if we disregard the "fairness" aspect for a moment, players like Walshy became rockstars due, in part, to their ability to claw proficiently.  Do you think high level Halo is going to have that same draw and mystique when every random jerkoff is dub and quad shotting with scuffs?

This isn't even discussing the ramifications of how the game will play when every player is Walshy.

Exactly, the glitches are fine when they are "high-light plays" like they were in H2 MLG and take some degree of mechanical skill and risk(aka taking your thumb off the right analog stick, screwing up the timing of the BxR/RRX and losing the battle because of it) above a normal melee combo or a normal 4-shot.

By taking away the need to claw and allowing you to map B/X/A to the paddles allowing you to use your middle fingers to perform the combos, you are taking alot of the mechanical skill and risk away from the combos and making it a more normalized move. Even in 07' H2 MLG, button combos were used infrequently by pro teams in tournament play and I think that is what they should remain as "skill glitches" like rocket jumping for advanced players, or it begins to get a little too crazy and wrek havoc on the meta-game. Being able to drop-shot easier in CoD is one thing, being able to double/quad/BxR easier while jumping is another IMO.

liability insurance is something that is needed in some sports but isn't required as a personal hobby.

Ok? Completely irrelevant to the actual discussion at hand, but thank you for that insight.

Ok? Completely irrelevant to the actual discussion at hand, but thank you for that insight.

well the argument is that scuffs are something that are needed exclusively for tournaments and events? well liability insurance in some sports is the same thing, another barrier to compete which isn't needed to actually do the sport.

but i do see your point and its kind of stupid but honestly thats how things work.

well the argument is that scuffs are something that are needed exclusively for tournaments and events? well liability insurance in some sports is the same thing, another barrier to compete which isn't needed to actually do the sport.

but i do see your point and its kind of stupid but honestly thats how things work.

It's not just events, even if you want to play in the competitive playlist or in competitive customs, unless you buy a Scuf, you're just going to get destroyed and be at a disadvantage simply because you didn't drop $200 on a Scuf. Again, Scufs are not necessary at all, it's just pathetic that Scufgaming have paid MLG to allow and endorse their product like its some form of legitimate gaming accessory when it's not.

For the record, I would be totally fine if Scufgaming were just a company that sold controllers with different paint jobs, different LED lights and no slow turn, it's just the extra paddles and buttons that ruin it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A better analogy would be a good tennis racket or set of golf clubs or whatever. Those could be considered "barriers" to competing in those respective sports. Hell, good headphones have been used by top players in FPS games for a while now. Should we be banning Astros?

A better analogy would be a good tennis racket or set of golf clubs or whatever. Those could be considered "barriers" to competing in those respective sports. Hell, good headphones have been used by top players in FPS games for a while now. Should we be banning Astros?

Astros are fine because they don't give a cascading advantage to the player with them over someone not with Astros. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the price as they do act as a barrier for entry, but someone of higher skill will be able to beat someone of lesser skill even if the lesser skilled player has Astros. Other headsets that are cheaper still do the job that Astros do, but just at a lower quality. Scufs on the other hand completely change the gunplay and is only a real issue because of the button glitches in H2.

Astros are similar to monitors in that if you have the money, you can buy a 1ms monitor or whatever which is really good quality and gives you a slight advantage over someone with a 5-10ms monitor but not so much that the lesser skilled player will repeatedly beat the higher skilled player. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

There wont be button Combos in H5, but there will be Bumper Jumper which is equivalent to Scufs.

Depending on what "Spartan Abilities" do end up being, there could be button combos in H5. Something like slide and then jump to cancel out the sliding animation(Sorry, that is the best that I could come up with ATM) or something else could very possible in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but scufs really don't help that much. I've had one for ages now, and the only thing that actually proper helps is the no-slow aim. The paddles just replace the buttons, and don't help at all unless your right thumb has arthritis. Putting XYB on your scuf paddles won't make H2 glitches easier at all, just give a new way to do it. 

TIL you didn't have to take your thumb off of the analog stick that controls your aim in order to execute button glitches unless you claw. Trying to say Scufs don't give a ******** advantage is absurd. The only consolation is that they can't make up for players being bad at the game itself (which is actually arguable given that an X/Y paddle configuration could turn the BR into an SMG). 

Meh, besides  Halo 2 Quadshotting, I don't see any other use in the Halo series.... unless Halo 5 has double shot too !  :kappa:

Depending on what "Spartan Abilities" do end up being, there could be button combos in H5. Something like slide and then jump to cancel out the sliding animation(Sorry, that is the best that I could come up with ATM) or something else could very possible in my opinion.

The question is would 343i make glitches on purpose? 

The question is would 343i make glitches on purpose? 

RIP Super grenade throws(which were like regular H1 grenade throws), just imagine if Bungie did that to H2 how much less the fun the online experience would of been. Its a shame most devs take a hard stance against glitches these days, no matter if they are beneficial or not.

RIP Super grenade throws(which were like regular H1 grenade throws), just imagine if Bungie did that to H2 how much less the fun the game would of been. Its a shame most devs take a hard stance against glitches these days, no matter if they are beneficial or not.

When 343 took away the sprinting+grenade throw in H4 I questioned if that was really necessary when they could of been programming our spectator mode. :saucey: