Joseph

Halo & Scuf Controllers

I agree for the most part that these controllers shouldn't be allowed at events. But how do you prevent people from using them at online qualifiers? Which I think is an important issue.

Also, my buddy has a condition where he doesn't have use of all his fingers. He is an amazing player now that we got him a custom scuf, so should he be allowed to use his controller at an event or no?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not in Halo 2 and hasn't been confirmed to cross the other games and be available in H2 for MCC.

There are going to be universal button sets. So whatever I use for Halo 3 I can use it for 1, 2, and 4

I'd say yes, because a Scuf isn't going to magically let you quad shot everyone. 

In Starcraft, most pro players (no idea what they do now) used either a Razer DeathAdder or Naga for their mouse. The Naga has extra buttons on the side of the mouse, meaning that, in theory, binding certain keys to it could make performing certain actions faster. But why did some players use the DeathAdder? Preference. 

FGC games are another good example. You don't see players complaining about FightPads giving an advantage to players with the money to buy them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree for the most part that these controllers shouldn't be allowed at events. But how do you prevent people from using them at online qualifiers? Which I think is an important issue.

Also, my buddy has a condition where he doesn't have use of all his fingers. He is an amazing player now that we got him a custom scuf, so should he be allowed to use his controller at an event or no?

Nope, unless everyone can use them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I believe they should, and here is why. Since I started playing on XBL as a pub player I ALWAYS hated those kids who had modded controllers that allowed them to macro their RT and Y buttons on the Xbox controller when playing games like Call Of Duty MW2, but I soon realized they were allowing modded controllers to be used in tournaments and I started to look in to it.

The reasoning behind the allowance of these controllers was to get players to stop using the "Claw" method of gripping the controller, where you hover your index finger over the ABXY buttons. This was said to cause problems like carpal tunnel or arthritis earlier on in the lives on competitive players, and this style was popularized by Halo competitive players. 

I'd say if anything they should allow controllers like SCUFs which only add extra mappable buttons, and stay far, far away from anything with macros. MLG did things right in the COD league by only allowing one type of controller, but I could see some type of regulation going down on controllers allowed to allow some other companies to be able to leave their mark on the competitive scene.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are going to be universal button sets. So whatever I use for Halo 3 I can use it for 1, 2, and 4

They said their will be universal button sets, as well as dedicated and have yet to confirm what those are. So no, we don't know if bumper jumper is available yet in H2.

That's why I'm saying it is ok to use scufs or controllers like that.  Could be an issue if bumperjumper isn't introduced for H1 and 2 in the MCC, but we will have to wait and see on that.

Ok, I get what you're saying now. 

Nope, unless everyone can use them.

So basically you're saying a handicapped kid can't compete if he can't play with a regular controller?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think Third Party controllers are fine, but controllers w/ macros and extra programmable buttons, should, but wont (sponsors) be banned.. I like the idea of custom control layouts. As long as u cant duplicate a button i dont see why custom controls should be an issue. It gives no advantage tbh.

So basically you're saying a handicapped kid can't compete if he can't play with a regular controller?

I'm being an asshole on purpose everyone should be able to use Scufs. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm being an asshole on purpose everyone should be able to use Scufs. 

I was so happy someone took your post literally instead of the facetious response it was meant as. I got a good giggle out of it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ATM whilst they have CoD there isn't much of an advantage to ban them (Only jump?), but when it comes to halo 2 and the button combo's I can see a problem.

ATM whilst they have CoD there isn't much of an advantage to ban them (Only jump?), but when it comes to halo 2 and the button combo's I can see a problem.

A player with a Scuf still has to press the same amount of buttons to preform a combo as the regular controller. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the point is there are varying levels of modification. If the extra button performs a BXR or RRXYYRRXYY for you, then by all means ban it. If it's a couple extra paddles on the back one which mimics/repeats buttons already on the controller, what really is the harm?

• Upvote (+1) 1

A player with a Scuf still has to press the same amount of buttons to preform a combo as the regular controller. 

But it's a lot easier to perform and move the analogue sticks with the extra buttons on the back, a lot of people struggle doing claw

One of console gamings greatest strengths is the standardization of equipment

Everyone has the same experience

• Upvote (+1) 3

But it's a lot easier to perform and move the analogue sticks with the extra buttons on the back, a lot of people struggle doing claw

I struggle clawing because of arthritis in my hands. Should we punish those who use something more comfortable? Nah we should all claw because it's old school. 

As long as there are no marcos within the controller I see no issue with something like a scuff. 

Then again I use a XIM3 M&K adaptor because I don't give a flying fuck about competing at events so when I am at home gaming I am going to use what is most comfortable. I tried picking up my controller recently and it just hurts way to much to game with it for a extended period unless it's a racing game.

Consoles technically are meant to be used using speakers, can we ban headsets next?

FGC Players disagree.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Consoles technically are meant to be used using speakers, can we ban headsets next?

Headsets are just speakers on your ears.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Everyone who owns a Xbox One, Mutiable games, team pass, hotel room, travel, and food money can pay $60 to send in there xbox controller to get it "scufed up."

Yep.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Headsets are just speakers on your ears.

Scufs are just controllers with better placed buttons... kinda like headset are better placed speakers 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Scufs are just controllers with better placed buttons... kinda like headset are better placed speakers 

Eh. The whole concept of the speakers don't change. Left Speaker and Right Speaker - conveniently placed right on your ears and stay on your head. 

Scufs don't just change button locations, it adds additional ones that you can map yourself. Just playing the devils advocate here. I couldn't give a shit as long as no one has a BXR button. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Meh,  no need for them to be honest, as long as the battlefield remains equal to everyone and there is no magic button to RRXYYRRX, I'm alright with it.

That being said, I voted No.

FGC Players disagree.

Don't all smash players use a GameCube controller?

Some games are meant to be played on fight sticks and vice versa