Hard Way

Who here thinks they could design an app?

It doesn't make sense that you want the colors to change to green when you get close to rocket spawn. It should flash with increasing frequency as you get closer to spawn. This way you can see how close to spawn you are at without taking your eyes off the game. Also it can audibly count down and eve say what is about to respawn. It can even say where for noobs.

You can speak to your app and tell it when rockets are taken if that helps with other games.

You can have it play specific tones or sounds to indicate different information so that words are not generated by the device.

In conclusion, you can make the app communicate to you using techniques that don't offer information to other players, don't require you to look away, and can receive event information from you without taking your hands off the controller.

These are the beginnings of what a UX developer would think through. The main question being answered is how does the app interact with a player in game? How does the player perceive the information? How effective is the interaction? Much of this is psychology of human interaction with machines but it has taken front stage in the industry with the mobile device becoming ubiquitous.

Ya those free apps cost a lot these days...

Hiring someone to create an app for you is expensive.

Unless someone in the community has the necessary skills and would do it for free out of love for the games.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It doesn't make sense that you want the colors to change to green when you get close to rocket spawn. It should flash with increasing frequency as you get closer to spawn. This way you can see how close to spawn you are at without taking your eyes off the game. Also it can audibly count down and eve say what is about to respawn. It can even say where for noobs.

You can speak to your app and tell it when rockets are taken if that helps with other games.

You can have it play specific tones or sounds to indicate different information so that words are not generated by the device.

In conclusion, you can make the app communicate to you using techniques that don't offer information to other players, don't require you to look away, and can receive event information from you without taking your hands off the controller.

These are the beginnings of what a UX developer would think through. The main question being answered is how does the app interact with a player in game? How does the player perceive the information? How effective is the interaction? Much of this is psychology of human interaction with machines but it has taken front stage in the industry with the mobile device becoming ubiquitous.

I've pretty much seen all of that in Halo 1 timer programs over the years aside from flashing lights and voice recognition.

It would be nice if there was a way to delay the respawns in Halo 3 if a timer is "dirtied."   I've never messed with Halo 3 timers so I have no idea if that's a thing.  I'm honestly only interested in Halo 1 timers.

Windows PC.  I'm not planning on charging anything lol.

If I made a phone app I don't think Id' charge anyway.  The whole point is to get Halo players timing to get rid of that barrier of entry, why charge and limit how many people can access it?

Mainly to pay for dev fees.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ive had this on my phone for a while. Its really old, and i just did a search in the app store and its not there anymore. That or i didn't search right. PS, are you the same Hard Way on my friends list lol?

zOOpfO3.png

They need to get this app back in the App Store. I have seen this app referenced before while I've been searching for a CE timer I can use on my iPhone or iPad. It would be amazing if someone could get something like this out there.

Hiring someone to create an app for you is expensive.

Unless someone in the community has the necessary skills and would do it for free out of love for the games.

Which is exactly what my cousin and I are doing.

Yes, we are going to be building it. Yes, it will be ready for MCC launch. We may consult Teambeyond for testing. We dig the UI style Sam was going with in his mock up, we will be pulling inspiration from that.

Most importantly: It'll either be free or 99 cents. It will be cross platform.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Windows PC.  I'm not planning on charging anything lol.

If I made a phone app I don't think Id' charge anyway.  The whole point is to get Halo players timing to get rid of that barrier of entry, why charge and limit how many people can access it?

Offering your work free might seem noble and kind to those who want to see it, but remember that giving things away 'for free' via services like Steam or the App Store costs both you and your users far more in the long term than $5 would cost them right now.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Offering your work free might seem noble and kind to those who want to see it, but remember that giving things away 'for free' via services like Steam or the App Store costs both you and your users far more in the long term than $5 would cost them right now.

I'm thinking more of an Android app that you can just download and install from wherever I host it as opposed to something official or anything. I have no experience with coding for Mac or iPhone.

I'll probably only be making a desktop app any time soon with how busy school is and such, but who knows. If I find myself in a position to release a 99 cent app that would be awesome. We'll see.

Could you please explain your statement? How does giving a mobile app away for free cost you anything more?

The iTunes store is where they will need to respond to apple. Apple has rigid requirements to post apps on their online store. But that is an additional effort regardless of price.

The real issue is market size. I suspect it is too small to charge anything at all.

Yes, we are going to be building it. Yes, it will be ready for MCC launch. We may consult Teambeyond for testing. We dig the UI style Sam was going with in his mock up, we will be pulling inspiration from that.

Awesome!

Awesome!

we been gaming Halo since CE, plus we want to do something for the Halo community. No matter how small or big.

Sounds brilliant man! If you want any design direction or any collaboration give me a shout. Would be brilliant to create something like this for the community.

Sounds brilliant man! If you want any design direction or any collaboration give me a shout. Would be brilliant to create something like this for the community.

Have already been thinking and discussing with my cousin. We may send you an invite to our Project Management System. If you'd be interested in that, I'll let him know and you'll just need to PM me an email address for your login details.

I should get my cousin to log in and start posting, even if its in this thread for the time being.

It does make sense, and I explained why.  The purpose of the different color numbers is to quickly remind you of which minute you're on, so that you don't have to wait for a voice prompt at an interval.  When you're 15 minutes into a game, its VERY easy to forget if you're on a rocket minute or not.  It'd be nice to be able glance at my timer and see real quick.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Have already been thinking and discussing with my cousin. We may send you an invite to our Project Management System. If you'd be interested in that, I'll let him know and you'll just need to PM me an email address for your login details.

I should get my cousin to log in and start posting, even if its in this thread for the time being.

Sounds good to me. I certainly wouldn't want to butt in on you and your cousins project. but if there's room for some design collaboration i'm all ears. Get him online and i'll PM my contact details.

Sounds good to me. I certainly wouldn't want to butt in on you and your cousins project. but if there's room for some design collaboration i'm all ears. Get him online and i'll PM my contact details.

we would actually love it for you to be able

to pop in. PM me the email you want the login details set up with and i'll PM you back with it.

I just want to put out there that PaCMaYNE has a h1 timer app currently in dev. He's already dropped $300 into it.

If you don't know who PaC is, he's the current king of H1 on XBC. I'll link you guys the preview of his initial idea when I'm on my comp.

Actually I was going to make a thread soon trying to get some pub out there for his app. But now there's this thread so i guess fk it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtLzyD_gEk&feature=youtu.be

That is just a quick preview. App has been submitted for dev, not for app store yet. WILL UPDATE.

App would initially be for Android, ported to iPhone if he makes his money back. Cost will be $1.00.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It does make sense, and I explained why. The purpose of the different color numbers is to quickly remind you of which minute you're on, so that you don't have to wait for a voice prompt at an interval. When you're 15 minutes into a game, its VERY easy to forget if you're on a rocket minute or not. It'd be nice to be able glance at my timer and see real quick.

I disagree.

But if you really want to see it then you might consider Google glass as an additional hud experience. Again so you don't have to take your eyes off the game.

I think audible cues would be the closest to a coach.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I disagree.

But if you really want to see it then you might consider Google glass as an additional hud experience. Again so you don't have to take your eyes off the game.

I think audible cues would be the closest to a coach.

Would you rather a Voice audible cue or a Sound effect audible cue?

I just want to put out there that PaCMaYNE has a h1 timer app currently in dev. He's already dropped $300 into it.

If you don't know who PaC is, he's the current king of H1 on XBC. I'll link you guys the preview of his initial idea when I'm on my comp.

Actually I was going to make a thread soon trying to get some pub out there for his app. But now there's this thread so i guess fk it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtLzyD_gEk&feature=youtu.be

That is just a quick preview. App has been submitted for dev, not for app store yet. WILL UPDATE.

App would initially be for Android, ported to iPhone if he makes his money back. Cost will be $1.00.

I'd buy it.  It'd still be nice if it was map specific, namely for Rat Race and top powerup on HeH.