Hard Way

Who here thinks they could design an app?

I would pay good money for a high quality Halo: CE talking timer app.

Here's the way I'd want it to work:

.  On the home screen of the app, you  have two choices.  "Select Map", and "Options".  For now, we'll choose "Select Map".

.  If you touch "Select Map", it brings up all 10 maps, and you pick which one you're about to play. This is important because different maps have different times for different items.

.  The next screen has a "START" button on it, and above it, it instructs you to wait to push start until your Halo: CE system link screen says "loading map".

.  Once started, the time starts at "00:00" and counts UP.  This is because there is no time limit in CE games, so having one that counts down is silly.  The numbers should be blue.  There should be a small, "End Game" Button in the bottom right.

.  30 seconds prior to an item spawning, your numbers should flash yellow, and a voice should tell you "30 seconds for Overshield/Camo", "30 seconds for Powerups", or "30 seconds for everything", etc.  It would vary depending on the map, because I know Rat Race for example has a weird camo time.

. It should do this again at 10 seconds, stating the specific items that are spawning, and flashing the numbers orange.

. Starting at 5 seconds remaining, the numbers should flash red, and more intensely, and the voice should count down each number individually "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0".

.  On maps with a rocket launcher, the numbers should turn green instead of blue on the minute leading up to the rocket spawn.  So from 00:00-01:00, the numbers would be blue because that's just a "Powerup" minute.  But from 01:01-02:00, the numbers should be green, to remind players that they are on an "Everything" minute, without having to wait for or remember the voice prompt.

.  The Options menu should allow you to choose from a selection of different voices, as well as which intervals you would like your reminders.  Allow for 50, 40, and 20 second reminders too.  The interface should just be a checkbox next to each 10 second interval, as well as the 5 second countdown.

If anyone can make this app and make it available to download on an iPhone, I would not only buy the app, but I would personally PayPal you $100 for your time, effort, and your HUGE service to the Halo community.  I would do it myself, except I have no technological talent in my whole body. Thank you for reading.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ive had this on my phone for a while. Its really old, and i just did a search in the app store and its not there anymore. That or i didn't search right. PS, are you the same Hard Way on my friends list lol?

zOOpfO3.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ive had this on my phone for a while. Its really old, and i just did a search in the app store and its not there anymore. That or i didn't search right. PS, are you the same Hard Way on my friends list lol?

zOOpfO3.png

Yes I am! Haha, we've been running into each other for years, both in game and on forums.

Yeah, I just checked the App Store too.  There's nothing specific to Halo 1.  The only game timer I saw on there looks like it was made for Halo 3, and it just looks convoluted and difficult to use.  If someone could design one like the one I described, I think it could be the standard for H1 players this upcoming year.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've done development for Android before. It's strait Java so it's relatively easy for me to understand, but I don't know much about iPhone dev. I'm honestly a MAC hater. The only thing good about MACs in my opinion is their security and the Unix framework they've built upon. 

I also don't know any times or anything for H1. I've never played it competitively or anythings so I had no reason to learn.

This one was meant to be more basic I designed it a couple years ago back in Reach but the same methods could apply. Under settings you could modify gametype, map, etc. which would then swap out the various counters or their titles. It was designed with a coach in mind as well for tapping objective return for gametypes where flag went back home in 10 seconds or whatever the counter was at. Though there is a bit more real estate on the iPhone 5+ so things could be expanded upon. I was going to try and turn this into a web app so it could be accessed anywhere but I feel it'd probably be too intensive.

HaloTimerMockup.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

This one was meant to be more basic I designed it a couple years ago back in Reach but the same methods could apply. Under settings you could modify gametype, map, etc. which would then swap out the various counters or their titles. It was designed with a coach in mind as well for tapping objective return for gametypes where flag went back home in 10 seconds or whatever the counter was at. Though there is a bit more real estate on the iPhone 5+ so things could be expanded upon. I was going to try and turn this into a web app so it could be accessed anywhere but I feel it'd probably be too intensive.

HaloTimerMockup.jpg

Github that shit and make it open source for the developers on team beyond XD

• Upvote (+1) 3

Cool idea, i'd definitely be down for designing something like this. I have the app coding skills of a shit-flinging chimp though, so it would need someone far more able than I to bring it to life.

@@Vertigo, NICE! I really like that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Cool idea, i'd definitely be down for designing something like this. I have the app coding skills of a shit-flinging chimp though, so it would need someone far more able than I to bring it to life.

@@Vertigo, NICE! I really like that.

Thanks!

If anyone wants to try and tackle it I'd be more than happy to update it to 5s resolution and help develop the resource files and collab on it.

With the MCC coming out I'd like to see one that covers all the Halo games.

The only problem with the other games is it requires button touches during a game, so a coach is the only one that could easily use it.  A player would have to take his hands off the controller and touch a button on his phone every time the timer gets triggered.  You could make one for Halo 3 and 4 MLG settings, but I highly doubt those settings will be in matchmaking.  The nice thing about H1 is that this timer will work no matter what the settings are.

A quick play this afternoon and i'm starting to see something potentially taking shape. Any thoughts or feedback? WE NEED A DEV

htKtwWn.png

• Upvote (+1) 4

I know Java, C++, and Visual Basic.  I haven't done any phone development before, but I honestly planned in making a H1 timer Windows app for myself anyway.  If I end up doing it I'll share it.

Thinking of ways to incorporate 90s timers, honestly the app probably just has to speak about them.

The best timer apps I've seen have had + and - buttons to correct the timer after it's started just in case you mistimed the start.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know Java, C++, and Visual Basic.  I haven't done any phone development before, but I honestly planned in making a H1 timer Windows app for myself anyway.  If I end up doing it I'll share it.

Thinking of ways to incorporate 90s timers, honestly the app probably just has to speak about them.

The best timer apps I've seen have had + and - buttons to correct the timer after it's started just in case you mistimed the start.

For windows phones? Not sure how it all works but you should make sure its corss platform like windows comps and phones. I'd def buy

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only problem with the other games is it requires button touches during a game, so a coach is the only one that could easily use it.  A player would have to take his hands off the controller and touch a button on his phone every time the timer gets triggered.  You could make one for Halo 3 and 4 MLG settings, but I highly doubt those settings will be in matchmaking.  The nice thing about H1 is that this timer will work no matter what the settings are.

I see what you mean.  It would be cool if there was an app for the Xbox One itself that you could snap the timers on the screen and reset/start them with voice commands. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

For windows phones? Not sure how it all works but you should make sure its corss platform like windows comps and phones. I'd def buy

Windows PC.  I'm not planning on charging anything lol.

If I made a phone app I don't think Id' charge anyway.  The whole point is to get Halo players timing to get rid of that barrier of entry, why charge and limit how many people can access it?

I'll definitely be putting something out prior to MCC. Emphasis on Halo CE bc of the hands off. Two will have a list of time to spawn after drop. The other games vary bc of gametype. I will be writing it in swift for ios. Apple isn't taking submissions of for swift apps until the fall when iOS8 & Yesemite are released.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only problem with the other games is it requires button touches during a game, so a coach is the only one that could easily use it. A player would have to take his hands off the controller and touch a button on his phone every time the timer gets triggered. You could make one for Halo 3 and 4 MLG settings, but I highly doubt those settings will be in matchmaking. The nice thing about H1 is that this timer will work no matter what the settings are.

You need more than a software developer.

You need a UX developer.

Why do they need to be touched? Why not speak to it?

You need a UX developer.

"XBOX, TIME WEAPONS!"

• Upvote (+1) 2

These apps are pretty cool but the thing that i think should be focused on heavily with them is 1) make the app be as undemanding in terms of hardware usage as possible even if it entales making it significantly less shiny so to speak with the intent of reducing battery consumption as much as possible. Although when you are at home plugging your phone in and continuing to use it is not a huge deal, if you were to attend a lan having your timer die would be awful.

2) make sure that the apps timer is not deactivated whenever a call or text is received, thats one of the biggest problems with the android app timer. i lost a derelict game last time i was lanning that should not have been lost due to this problem.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You need a UX developer.

This. Someone with UX experience would make this a very pleasant experience(user friendly).

If I get some free time  soon, I can definitely try and put something together, it might not look that good but it could work.