Sign in to follow this  
Oh So Laggy

4 Shot BR saved competitive Halo 4?

So, do you think that the 4 shot BR, coupled with the ranking system, has saved competitive Halo 4? If not, what do you think Halo 4 needs to be competitive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tronyeN1-UM

Dont know if it has "saved" halo, but it has been a step in the right direction at keeping those of us that still play here and bringing back a few people. I dont think we will see a huge return until Halo 5, all pending on that being a classic competitive halo like the first 3

• Upvote (+1) 1

The 4sk BR (alongside the other weapon updates) are a huge step into the right direction. CSR sadly isn´t working as it should due to the small population Halo 4 currently has.

For competitive Halo to be saved we at least need No Sprint to return. X/B to pick up flag alongside other minor tweaks would also be great.

To really revive competitve Halo, we need H5 to have NS, descoping, less aim assist, less RRR, smaller hitboxes and in game ranks.

Thats my 2 Cents!

• Upvote (+1) 1

To early to say it saved it, and many people would say the br isn't even the most competitive starting weapon for h4 (just browse thc forums too see). But it had brought some much needed hype back, as well as some big halo names back because of the nostalgia of 4ing people. I think getting nosprint settings would have a greater positive effect on the community then 4sk has.

its definitely not hurting the community, That's for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What it has done in my opinion is it has given people (like me) a reason to put the game in the disc tray.

Once you get the game in you realize that the it is actually kind of fun to play again with the exception of Infinity settings. In terms of the tournament scene I think we will have to wait and see just how much growth AGL can see over the next few months with pro's returning and more teams competing.

There is no doubt that #Halo4Turbo has improved the game significantly. I hope it's enough to keep the competitive scene relevant and growing until the next Halo can truly "save" the Halo franchise.

In Quinn we trust.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The 4sk BR (alongside the other weapon updates) are a huge step into the right direction. CSR sadly isn´t working as it should due to the small population Halo 4 currently has.

For competitive Halo to be saved we at least need No Sprint to return. X/B to pick up flag alongside other minor tweaks would also be great.

To really revive competitve Halo, we need H5 to have NS, descoping, less aim assist, less RRR, smaller hitboxes and in game ranks.

Thats my 2 Cents!

You just described the perfect Halo in my opinion :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Saved it ? Not quite. But it has definitely made the game more enjoyable in my opinion. What we need right now is a bigger population and a much bigger cash prize pool at events for people to play for. Nice commentary.

I've been playing Halo 4 today and I like it a lot more with the improved BR.

Simple answer - More people.

At some points I have seen more people online on halo 3 / reach than halo 4 and this is part of the problem, if those people put down halo3/reach and left it in the past and played halo 4 it would certainly help, its not the answer but it is a big step in the right direction. The 4 shot settings is a big step up but if you look at it from an EU POV it has made no difference as we have been using it for months now before the US started to use it for scrimming purposes.

The 2 major factors which have massively hit halos numbers for me was

1 - The loss of MLG, obvious but substantial

2 - No ranking system upon release and a poorly rushed to release version of the game with no open BETA test beforehand.

Things are getting better and better but to answer the question no, 4 shot BR has not saved halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My two cents:

Better map designs, how many competitive on disc maps do we have in comparison to halo 3? Even reach had better design maps now that I look back at it. No one can argue the only two maps that actually play pretty well are skyline and Haven and that's it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

In order for me to consider competitive Halo to be alive again, these things need to happen.

• Halo 5 goes back to the series roots.
  • Halo 5 since it has gone back to the roots of the series, has attracted a large population (100,000-150,000 daily peak population a year after its release) of its former fans, as well as new fans who can appreciate simple Halo.
  • AGL has grown to become an extremely well run, tournament.
  • MLG once again picks up Halo and keeps it for the long term once more.

In order for me to consider competitive Halo to be alive again, these things need to happen.

• Halo 5 since it has gone back to the roots of the series, has attracted a large population (100,000-150,000 daily peak population a year after its release) of its former fans, as well as new fans who can appreciate simple Halo.

Don't the last 2 clash a little?, if AGL kept getting bigger and better but halo 5 was picked up by MLG which you knew would be massive, would everyone would just boycott AGL and run back to MLG even tho AGL has saved the competitive scene or would they stick with AGL because they know they could provide the size of the community with what it needed?

Steps to save Halo 4:

-make the rifles consistent by removing bloom, spread, recoil

-balance the rifles (H4Turbo did a pretty good job here)

-make strafing crisp (reducing player model size and bumping movement speed up does this)

-make automatics viable (ie zero bloom storm rifle)

-remove sprint

-add in asymetric gametypes like 1-Flag to keep things fresh

-add good maps courtesy of forge

My two cents:

Better map designs, how many competitive on disc maps do we have in comparison to halo 3? Even reach had better design maps now that I look back at it. No one can argue the only two maps that actually play pretty well are skyline and Haven and that's

Abandon, Simplex and Dispatch aren't bad competitive maps. They're no Sanc or Guardian but they aren't horrible.

Don't the last 2 clash a little?, if AGL kept getting bigger and better but halo 5 was picked up by MLG which you knew would be massive, would everyone would just boycott AGL and run back to MLG even tho AGL has saved the competitive scene or would they stick with AGL because they know they could provide the size of the community with what it needed?

Why do think that we can only have one competitive gaming league that supports Halo? 

Starcraft 2 has a plethora of leagues that support it, so I'm pretty sure that a Halo that has reestablished itself can support at least two leagues. We have 52 weekends a year, so I'm pretty sure that AGL and MLG can schedule their tournaments not to conflict with each other.

What you say about AGL is so true, competitive Halo can't solely rely on MLG. 

Why not both? :P

What you say about AGL is so true, competitive Halo can't solely rely on MLG. 

Having multiple leagues would be so sick! Imagine if we had like three leagues during the heyday of Halo 3, we would essentially of had tournaments all the time and with a community as large as we had back then, we could of definitely supported it. 

Oh im not saying you cant have 2 at all, it would be grate if more people supported the franchise.

Why do think that we can only have one competitive gaming league that supports Halo? 

Starcraft 2 has a plethora of leagues that support it, so I'm pretty sure that a Halo that has reestablished itself can support at least two leagues. We have 52 weekends a year, so I'm pretty sure that AGL and MLG can schedule their tournaments not to conflict with each other.

Im just wondering if people would follow both, im all for it, I know id watch both if they streamed, and if I could go to them both I would go. I saw a lot of people complaining about money on the EU forums as we have 2 major events 1 month after the other so it will be fun to see which the majority will attend and if it will affect how many turn up!

Having multiple leagues would be so sick! Imagine if we had like three leagues during the heyday of Halo 3, we would essentially of had tournaments all the time and with a community as large as we had back then, we could of definitely supported it. 

Unfortunately, I live in South Africa. In all of my country's history there has only ever been one tournament :(

Unfortunately, I live in South Africa. In all of my country's history there has only ever been one tournament :(

Well that sucks. 

Too little too late imo. If they had added all these features and improvements they've been doing post launch within a month or 2 post November 2013 launch then yes, it would have been saved. BUT, you can't save something that's practically dead. I don't mean Halo is dead, dead. But 30k population is pretty dead, at least for a Halo game.

Abandon, Simplex and Dispatch aren't bad competitive maps. They're no Sanc or Guardian but they aren't horrible.

that was On disc maps I meant. the forge maps are probably the better side of any of the maps on throwdown. Abandon has a lot of problems such as the ease of use of sprint on that map added with spotted / out-of-place cover along with the singular dominate control point of the map (aka ring 3). Dispatch is still "meh" at best while simplex actually does competitive play right. Onyx is the only worthy map I can honestly say truly deserves its spot in throwdown without a shred of doubt. I am happy to have linked that map to Ghostayame, it was well deserved.