jCsickZ

Forums seem.... obsolete

I think a discussion solution with threaded comments (like Reddit) offers a far better communication platform. Anyone else feel that way when surfing around this forum?

Oops. posted this in the wrong section, please move to suggestions area as I don't have the ability to. 

The only problem is that my post would always be top

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maybe I feel like there's a lot of scrolling for not a lot of content. Massive sigs (myself included, I know - just saying), large default font sizes. I'll try surfing "zoomed out" and it seems like it will help, except that it makes the content area pretty skinny. 

The only problem is that my post would always be top

all  my pictures would be above yours tho

all  my pictures would be above yours tho

AENSlCL.gif

I think bumping for 25 posts per page to at least 35-40 would be good, too. In fact, if I had a private option to just have all posts on a single page, or maybe 100, I personally would choose it as I hate having to switch pages. 

I think bumping for 25 posts per page to at least 35-40 would be good, too. In fact, if I had a private option to just have all posts on a single page, or maybe 100, I personally would choose it as I hate having to switch pages. 

Yeah, unfortunately IP Board doesn't let us give users the custom per page option. We set it at it's current post count for speed. 

Yeah, unfortunately IP Board doesn't let us give users the custom per page option. We set it at it's current post count for speed. 

I could have sworn it did...

I don't like Reddit's platform. It works for the sheer amount of content and doing it any other way wouldn't work, however people always up vote the same shit and it's impossible to moderate.

Jokes, one liners and other crap will get voted to the top. Anyone with a controversial opinion has their views down voted to the bottom. Just go to any popular default subreddit for proof of this. People want to hear they're right. They're not interested in opposing views and they'll happily down vote ACTUAL GOOD CONTENT if they disagree with it.

FUCK. THAT.

I've heard this said a few times before and every time I hear it I get annoyed. Guess what? Facebook might not be around forever. People could abandon Twitter in favour of something else next week.

Websites and forums will always be relevant. IMO a good forum is the best way to discuss things and it truly sucks they aren't as active as they used to be.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The bad part about forums is you have to filter out the bad posts manually. Reddit is convenient because you can easily get to the best content without a lot of effort... even if some good content gets hidden. On here you might have to scroll through multiple pages to get to the good stuff. Neither format is perfect, obviously. I just feel that conventional forums are becoming more of a chore to use.

I hate reddit's format with a passion. It's honestly the only reason I don't browse reddit.

also there are no bad posts on this forum and the frequency of posts isn't too large where it's a struggle to read every post on hot threads.

Reddit's format is HORRIBLE for discussion. and the main threads on this website are discussions

• Upvote (+1) 3

If I could give @ a high-five for that anti-Reddit post, I would. I frequent sites with good layouts. I have only visited Reddit maybe three times, and I feel it was time wasted.

I use reddit for media consumption and news. I do not consider Reddit or subreddits 'forums', and when people call them that it's ridiculous because it is a competition, not a discussion. There is no competition here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For discussion, chronological always wins. Always

For comments on media or something, I don't mind sorting by popularity. But your comment is more likely to be ignored that way. 

Have to disagree strongly. I hate Reddit's format - I'm a heavy reader; when I click on a thread I want to read every comment in chronological order. Rearranging them based on popularity votes or displaying them in such a way as to put the most recent post at the top is very frustrating.

I want to read with the flow of time, not against it.

And this doesn't work at all when there's 3,000 comments on individual threads on an enormous site. Here, it's fine.

Good luck following a deep debate or interesting conversation without chronological content. Removing the agency of the reader by bumping only "popular" posts is what will make people on this planet dumber which is something we can't afford to do. In terms of Halo, what you're demanding is that you be spared the nuts and bolts of pro gameplay in favor of being spoonfed the highlights. That is far less likely to help you personally improve at the game much less anything else. Stop being lazy.

We are leaving the forums how they are, thanks for the feedback guys.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like how we all come together to say fuck you no! we like our old school ways thank you.

• Upvote (+1) 1