Sign in to follow this  
TTUVAPOR

The ignorant logic of a casual Halo player

Any of you guys familiar with team slayer playlist in Halo 2? Remember Team duals on foundation dumbest gametype ever and people would just sit on the turret the whole game. Every playlist should start with a precision weapon unless it's grifball, action sack, or snipers.

I remember that being the only situation ever where dual needlers were the correct tool for the job.

The video talks about making a game offer interesting options to players who are on the receiving end of a weapon. What you are describing is having that weapon in everyone's hands. These are NOT the same thing at all. They are irrelevant to each other.

Did you completely miss the part of the video where he's talking about snipers killing you off the spawn over and over?

That is the reality of spawning with an SMG on an open map. You're unable to counter the sniper rifle unless you find a weapon capable of hitting him out of scope which isn't going to happen if the sniper has at least one working thumb.

The title of this topic immediately positions a player in the community and those that may think like him in a negative light - and ignores the fact that both he you, and all of us are Halo players.

This is the kind of shit that splits the community up by continually labeling players as a derogative or whatever else we're called, they're called, etc. it's one thing we've had to deal with poor titles in the past few years, it's another that the community can't pool together and say 'we play Halo!'

There are people who want to pubstomp. There are people who want to claw their way to a win by seconds. It's entirely possible to make both happen in the same game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can't understand wanting to be defenseless and useless off spawn. That doesn't make sense.

That's the logic. In order for the game to be fun for all, and by all I mean casuals, hardcore, pros, everyone...the game must be from the ground up a game about fair and balance. i.e., look at Quake and Starcraft. They never have had to deal with what Halo goes through title after title. So why does Halo have to be the odd man out?

I can't understand wanting to be defenseless and useless off spawn. That doesn't make sense.

Because casual players don't think they're defenseless. They don't understand the game, so their opinions on how the game plays are skewed. 

Even the argument of weapon diversity doesn't make sense to me in regards to supporting SMG starts. Does using 1 weapon, for a limited amount of time, (until you find a BR) really add enough "diversity" to where it overpowers everything bad about it? No.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because casual players don't think they're defenseless. They don't understand the game, so their opinions on how the game plays are skewed. 

I would say this. I remember before I knew how to play that all bullets that weren't from power weapons all dealt the same amount of damage. I didn't understand that each weapon had it's own use and whatnot. I thought in terms of CoD that all bullets traveled indefinitely and I could accurately use the AR against someone across the map. I thought I could take on anyone, and I was wrong.

I would be to say that many of the casuals who don't really know the game other than MC is the man behind the mask, won't really understand why an smg that spews a million bullets out at 1000mph wouldn't kill faster than a BR that shoots far less. 

I only learned because someone took the time to teach me. I also came to understand the game and abandoned the CoD scene just after MW2 or WaW (whichever came last, I don't remember), because I saw the intricacies of Halo and why it was a better game. I sucked, but knowing the skill involved make me appreciate it more when I would kill someone or be killed. I think most of the more seasoned Halo know there is a large learning curve when it comes to playing Halo at an effective level. The Casual players have none of this knowledge, so they just don't understand the game and thus only know what the developers tell them. Which Bungie threw the AR and SMG down everyone's throat, so therefore, that's what the casuals know and are ok with.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The thing is, casual gamers can get away with not understanding game balance, etc.

When I first played Halo I would trade my pistol for a sniper on smaller maps because it never clicked in my head. That was until I played someone on XBC who annihilated me using the Pistol and I thought "Ohhhh, duh, that makes so much sense".

I knew the Pistol was a good ranged weapon, but I didn't realise just how quickly it could kill someone because in campaign Elites would survive like 12 headshots on Legendary. Once I realised just how quickly you could kill someone with the Pistol I started using it more and never looked back.

The real issue is that while casual gamers could be excused for not understanding, Bungie and 343 sure as shit can't be. They literally do this shit for a living. You'd think they'd know better.

Did you completely miss the part of the video where he's talking about snipers killing you off the spawn over and over?

That is the reality of spawning with an SMG on an open map. You're unable to counter the sniper rifle unless you find a weapon capable of hitting him out of scope which isn't going to happen if the sniper has at least one working thumb.

I understand your point now. Didn't make your connection. Thanks for clarifying.