Sign in to follow this  
Goat

Is Halo an Arena Shooter?

Is Halo an Arena Shooter?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Is Halo an Arena Shooter?

• I think Halo is or should be an arena shooter
    • I think Halo is inspired by or should be inspired by arena shooters
    • I think Halo does not or should not have anything to do with arena shooters

I wouldn't classify Halo as an arena shooter and I think anyone that does is kidding themselves.

It doesn't play anything like Quake, Unreal, Painkiller, etc. Arena shooters often have no reloads (you just keep shooting until you run out of ammo), extremely exaggerated physics, faster movement speeds and you can survive multiple rockets to the face.

Watch that and tell me Halo is even remotely similar.

Halo falls somewhere in between an arena shooter and a tactical/team based shooter like Call of Duty or Counter Strike.

This is why I loved Halo. Halo 1 has game play like NO OTHER GAME.

In Quake and Unreal there is no Oddball or KOTH and CTF is just an excuse to run around the map shooting people. These games don't have the same team element Halo has.

At the same time, team based tactical shooters like Counter Strike you die and you don't respawn until the next round, or players die almost instantly when shot, etc.

WTF?  Quake and UT has team gametypes especially CTF.  Don't spread lies before you make a statement so obviously lacking knowledge.  UT is definitely more team based then Quake though.  UT was made with team gametypes in mind and came out with team gametypes.  I hate when people say Quake or UT don't have team gametypes, it shows they obviously never played the game and therefore shouldn't make a comment stating a lie.

Hell one of the most popular gametypes for CoD, Domination was originally from UT as a mod.  Became one of the most popular team gametypes ever since. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Unreal was made to be more team-based DM and in later installments included Onslaught and Vehicle CTF.

I totally forgot about UT Onslaught, I played that in a clan for about a year and yes it is definitely very fucking reliant on teamwork and communication.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd say its more like ut/quake than cod/cs.

i mean power ups, power weapons, equal starts is something 4n to the latter.

Having played UTk3/Utk4 and quite a bit of QL in recent years Unreal is definitely more team-based than Quake. I think Quake was developed more for 1v1/FFA DM with team game-types being a secondary focus,whereas Unreal was made to be more team-based DM and in later installments included Onslaught and Vehicle CTF. I was in a clan in Utk4 called "BulletZ" with my brothers and friends and the clan play was VERY competitive in the prime of that game. We weren't bad but we were nowhere near the top clans. http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=Active_Clans_(Unreal)

Unreal and Halo have the best competitive CTF IMO 

Earlier today I thought about how this is the only linkin park song not on my ipod from 2007- and that I haven't listened to it in over 3 years probably. and here i am listening to it because of your vid.

WTF?  Quake and UT has team gametypes especially CTF.  Don't spread lies before you make a statement so obviously lacking knowledge.  UT is definitely more team based then Quake though.  UT was made with team gametypes in mind and came out with team gametypes.  I hate when people say Quake or UT don't have team gametypes, it shows they obviously never played the game and therefore shouldn't make a comment stating a lie.

Hell one of the most popular gametypes for CoD, Domination was originally from UT as a mod.  Became one of the most popular team gametypes ever since. 

ya quake tdm and ctf take a lot of teamwork.  there are so many items to time on the map and there are no coaches or timing apps to help.

Fun fact: the things described above are what made it stand out as an arena shooter, rather than declassify it as one. It made it unique, still managed to work and super competitive.

Though I sure as hell wouldn't claim it lacks "verticality". The jumping mechanics are far more versatile than most other FPSes out there, while not being overpowered. In fact, default Reach and H4 is a prime example of how adding vertical movement as an option will break the game.

You just need to remember that the main traits of an arena shooter is the fact that everyone starts equal and has to compete for power items placed on small-ish maps (arenas) and not so much the amount of weapons that can be carried, the health system, the kill times, or movement speed and vehicles. However it's important to note that the two latter WILL affect map size and perhaps hurt the arena aspect of the game.

But a prime example of that is CoD. It uses two weapons for the most part, has rechargeable health, fast kill times but it is as far as it can be from being an arena shooter. Fast kill times can hurt the arena aspect of the game because it diminishes the need to control power items on the map. Too slow means it kills the pace of the game, escaping becomes simple and makes it boring. It needs to be fast enough, but also hard to hit in order to remain competitive.

Older Halo games have a decent balance of all these factors and it's what makes it solid.

That's funny... you all described an arena shooter as two go into the arena and the better is left standing.

Why all the fussy details now?

Of course halo is an arena shooter. But it is also a BTB shooter, an Action Sack slap stick goofy fun shooter, zombie shooter, heavies shooter, and sniper gone bad shooter.

Halo is versatile.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol, ok mate, calm down. I never said UT and Quake didn't have team gametypes. Quit making up bullshit and twisting my words.

I've played a lot of UT2K4 and Quake. Just because Quake and UT both support CTF doesn't mean they're good at them.

Individual skill mattered more than anything in both those games. Flag runners could run around at 500mph, 360° no scoping people without an issue and there was no flag tossing the way you see in the Halo series.

Yes, both games could do more than just 1v1 and FFA, but that doesn't mean they were amazing at them.

How many major prize pools were awarded to 4v4 or 5v5 in UT or Quake? Any major tournaments were mainly 1v1.

Yes, UT2K4 had Onslaught mode, but that was like Big Team Battle in Halo, no players actually took it seriously.

Yes it's a Arena Shooter everyone starts out equal and you gotta fight for a upper hand (power positions, power ups/weapons)

Only thing I've ever seen UT "Tournament Wise" is 1v1s.  I guess you can call UT the prime 1v1 Arena Shooter game and Halo the prime 4v4/FFA game.

It most certainly can be....

I don't equate an arena shooter by how many guns you carry or movement speed.  What matters is game pace.  Halo 1 was an arena shooter, you played in competitive arena style maps with gameplay mechanics that lent itself to a fast game pace.  The games have slowed down progressively since and by the time we hit H4 we have progressively gotten to the point where default TS is no longer an arena shooter.

My bottom line, I enjoy Halo most when it is an arena shooter so ideally it should be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The interesting thing about Halo is, sort of like what Hitzel said, you are expected to land the GRAND majority of your shots (with your main weapon) instead of bullet-spamming. That's actually not a common trait at all in other shooters, either squad-based or arena. 

I still spam corners like crazy though >.>

Tactical Arena Shooter? Maybe.... lol

If we start calling it anything else but an Arena shooter, 343 will think they can get away with another game like Halo 4.

As hinted at by the H5 MP Beta trailer, they're hopefully starting to get the point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think all a game needs to be classed as an Arena shooter is same weapon starts and all other items such as weapons to be map pick ups. But with that said Halo is it's own style of Arena shooter. 

Here's a question

-125% movement

-Magnum and 2 frags only starts

-Concussion rifles, Focus Rifles

-Health packs

-Large physics impulses for explosives

Would make Halo feel even more like an Arena shooter. Would you like this as a direction for vanilla matchmaking? 

In Quake you spawn with a Machine gun and a Gauntlet, in UT it's the Enforcer Pistol and the Impact Hammer. You spawn with limited resources to encourage picking weapons off the map. Talking hypothetically, and presuming slowish kill times, the Magnum could be a 6 shot kill just as it is now but it could have a 12 mag and no bloom with a 1.33 sec kill time. The AR could be a pick up similar in power to the pre-patch SAW. Maybe it could have a headshot multiplier, giving players even less reason to hang on the Magnum. One thing you rarely ever see people doing in Halo games, dropping the BR. You always want a BR/ power weapon combo. It can turn the game into a right BR fest. I think combinations Like Sniper, AR/ Shotgun, Focus Rifle should be very viable options that people would regularly trade there spawning weapon for. 

The BR could be in the game, a starting weapon in some gametypes maybe, or a pick up, where people can swap a faster reloading Magnum for a larger clip BR with the same kill time.

I think all a game needs to be classed as an Arena shooter is same weapon starts and all other items such as weapons to be map pick ups. Halo is it's own style of Arena shooter. 

Here's a question

-125% movement

-Health packs

Would make Halo feel even more like an Arena shooter. Would you like this as a direction for vanilla matchmaking? 

125% of what?

125% of what?

Default movement speed compared to past Halo games such as Halo 4.

Tactical arena shooter is a term I've been using for very long. It's descriptive and logical.

The neccessity of such a term only arises when we get a game like Halo made by people who don't own the rights to simply call their game Halo. Like fucking Makeshift, if that's still being developed.y

125% of what?

Edit... at first I thought he meant 125% additional speed which would be too fast. But he is suggesting only an additional 25% above default speed. Ignore this post.

I think he is suggesting quake speed which I consider unrealistically too fast to maintain immersion.

I was actually talking something more akin to Reach V7 MLG. Maybe a tad faster. Too fast and it wouldn't feel like Halo. Just enough so you can out maneuver people. I wasn't saying go full Quake.

Halo falls somewhere in between an arena shooter and a tactical/team based shooter like Call of Duty or Counter Strike.

This is why I loved Halo. Halo 1 has game play like NO OTHER GAME.

In Quake and Unreal there is no Oddball or KOTH and CTF is just an excuse to run around the map shooting people. These games don't have the same team element Halo has.

At the same time, team based tactical shooters like Counter Strike you die and you don't respawn until the next round, or players die almost instantly when shot, etc.

^^ This. I would say "inspired by arena shooters". It's definitely branching off of that tradition to create a slower-paced game that requires more teamwork. I'm surprised there haven't been other games in that same branch of Tactical Arena FPS.

I think all a game needs to be classed as an Arena shooter is same weapon starts and all other items such as weapons to be map pick ups. But with that said Halo is it's own style of Arena shooter. 

Here's a question

-125% movement

-Health packs

Sounds kind of like Gold Pro to be honest. I'd probably enjoy it.