Sign in to follow this  
Knight27

Astro A40s and the difference on the 360 compared to the ONE

I was wondering if anyone could answer this question for me, before I decide to purchase the A40s.  I have used the A40s on the 360 before, and love them (as most everyone does).  What is the difference with using them on the ONE?  I hear that there are some issues, as well as another 'converter' or some extra component that must be purchased in order for them to work properly on the ONE.  Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me or give me your thoughts?  Thank you!

I think the sound quality is just stereo?  Or did they update it to 5.1?  Anyway they work fine but I think the quality isn't as good as on the 360 because 5.1 surround out through optical wasn't initially planned for whatever reason on the Xbox One.  You have to buy this http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Stereo-Headset-Adapter/dp/B00IAVDOS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404747815&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+one+headset+adapter adapter to be able to use your Astros to voice chat on the Xbox One.

Dolby surround through optical has been added to the Xbox One so surround should now work on the A40's.  It now works on my Turtle Beaches but didn't previous to one of the updates.  The only thing you will need is the chat adapter for the Xbox One.  It's $24.99 iirc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dolby surround through optical has been added to the Xbox One so surround should now work on the A40's. It now works on my Turtle Beaches but didn't previous to one of the updates. The only thing you will need is the chat adapter for the Xbox One. It's $24.99 iirc.

Good to know its finally been updated. Guess ill get that adapter when MCC drops.

Now that is has been updated is there still a need to go into the settings and mess with them?  Or did the update make it so that once you plug the optical cable in everything is in Dolby surround sound?

Side note:  has anyone noticed a difference with having to play with the chat adapter?  ie:  is it annoying to play with?  The adapter looks like it is pretty good size, and with where it is located it looks like it could affect the balance of the controller.  I'm just curious.

You need to go to settings and set the Optical out to bitstream and set the bitstream to Dolby I believe.  As for the adapter I don't actually have one, I made my own before they released them by hacking up the mic the Xbox One comes with.  It uses the same plug that the OE mic uses.  I don't notice a difference with mic plugged in.

Now that is has been updated is there still a need to go into the settings and mess with them?  Or did the update make it so that once you plug the optical cable in everything is in Dolby surround sound?

Side note:  has anyone noticed a difference with having to play with the chat adapter?  ie:  is it annoying to play with?  The adapter looks like it is pretty good size, and with where it is located it looks like it could affect the balance of the controller.  I'm just curious.

There is an update for 2013 and onwards mixamps I believe that supposedly address some inconsistencies. As for me I have a first generation mixamp and it has been flawless for me so the necessity of the update is unknown to me.

The chat adapter has two buttons that have a balance between game and voice like the mixamp and these buttons create a much better sounding balance. Just as a heads up. Playing wise I haven't had an issue, fits right into the controller's form well.

There is an update for 2013 and onwards mixamps I believe that supposedly address some inconsistencies. As for me I have a first generation mixamp and it has been flawless for me so the necessity of the update is unknown to me.

The chat adapter has two buttons that have a balance between game and voice like the mixamp and these buttons create a much better sounding balance. Just as a heads up. Playing wise I haven't had an issue, fits right into the controller's form well.

Awesome.  Thanks for the info!

I would still look at getting a different headset than the A40. I use a set of AD700s with my mixamp with a clip on mic and it's a night and day difference. Pretty much any good set of open air headphones will blow the A40s out of the water. I would look at a set of HD598s or PC360s too. Just read some reviews on some audiophile sites before u make a decision.

I would still look at getting a different headset than the A40. I use a set of AD700s with my mixamp with a clip on mic and it's a night and day difference. Pretty much any good set of open air headphones will blow the A40s out of the water. I would look at a set of HD598s or PC360s too. Just read some reviews on some audiophile sites before u make a decision.

I appreciate the info.  I will definitely check out some of the one's you suggest!

You had to buy this so that the Astros will work with the adapter that plugs into the controller?

yeah

Fuck Astros, get Sennheisers. 

Fuck Astros, get Sennheisers. 

This. HD 598s are amazing.

Any specific reason why you guys seem to favor the Sennheiser's?  Have you used them on the Xbox One?  Are there any other parts needed so that I could 'hook-up and play'?  Does the headset come with a mic for team chat?

This cable comes with the chat adapter in the box, so you don't need to purchase it separately.

shiet...where the hell did mine go :\

Any specific reason why you guys seem to favor the Sennheiser's? Have you used them on the Xbox One? Are there any other parts needed so that I could 'hook-up and play'? Does the headset come with a mic for team chat?

They have fantastic sound quality with a great soundstage. This is ideal for gaming because a large soundstage makes directional accuracy much better. That guide goes into much greater detail on the advantages of a large soundstage and sound quality.

I have used the hd598s and ad700s and both are great for gaming. The 598s are better for music/movies though. They do not come with a mic so u need to purchase one off amazon. I just use a $10 clip on one from zalman.

You need to purchase the headset adapter to get chat to work on xbox one and of course the mixamp.

Any specific reason why you guys seem to favor the Sennheiser's?  Have you used them on the Xbox One?  Are there any other parts needed so that I could 'hook-up and play'?  Does the headset come with a mic for team chat?

This. HD 598s are amazing.

I use pc350s, had them for ages. I won't lie to you, I haven't got an Xbox One so I can't give you any info on that, but I can give you a list of pros and cons of them over astros.

Pros:

- Better sound quality than Astros

- More comfortable - this may not seem like an big issue but if you're wearing headphones for a long time you may need to give your ears a break with less comfortable ones

- Longer cables

- Earmuffs are easily replaceable if damaged - also they're very comfy!! 

- Mic quality is excellent (on the pc350s/360s - obviously Zanderman's doesn't have a mic so that's N/A)

- Very light and compact - easy to carry around and store

- Very flexible - the headphones are on an axis which you can rotate about 270' vertically and about 70' horizontally, making them very versatile and very difficult to break

Cons:

- More expensive than a40s

- You have to buy a Mixamp separately - I was fortunate enough to get one second-hand from a friend

- You have to buy a y-splitter so you can use it with the mixamp - these are only around $5-$10 depending on the quality

- You can't get them in all those pretty colours that astro sell, like neon pink...sorry girlies 

- Ear muffs get worn out after a while (years) - like I said before though they are very easy to replace

I use pc350s, had them for ages. I won't lie to you, I haven't got an Xbox One so I can't give you any info on that, but I can give you a list of pros and cons of them over astros.

Pros:

- Better sound quality than Astros

- More comfortable - this may not seem like an big issue but if you're wearing headphones for a long time you may need to give your ears a break with less comfortable ones

- Longer cables

- Earmuffs are easily replaceable if damaged - also they're very comfy!! 

- Mic quality is excellent (on the pc350s/360s - obviously Zanderman's doesn't have a mic so that's N/A)

- Very light and compact - easy to carry around and store

- Very flexible - the headphones are on an axis which you can rotate about 270' vertically and about 70' horizontally, making them very versatile and very difficult to break

Cons:

- More expensive than a40s

- You have to buy a Mixamp separately - I was fortunate enough to get one second-hand from a friend

- You have to buy a y-splitter so you can use it with the mixamp - these are only around $5-$10 depending on the quality

- You can't get them in all those pretty colours that astro sell, like neon pink...sorry girlies 

- Ear muffs get worn out after a while (years) - like I said before though they are very easy to replace

I appreciate all of the feedback from you guys.  This has really helped!  Cheers.....and here's to some good times once the MCC drops! :)