Cold As Life

Possible BIG issue with H2A.

I'm sure we've all experienced playing with or against someone who owns a modded controller, it's not exactly fair to say the least. So my concern is that it will only be a matter of time before companies learn how manipulate the Halo 2 glitches and make a controller that allows the buyer to Dub shot/trip shot. etc with ease.

Curious what everyone thinks.

Theres nothing really that can be done about using modded controllers on xbox live. I can double/quad shot with consistency that has recently got me booted out of XBC lobbies because i was "modding"... So theres no way to tell whos using one and who isnt.

If we get custom controller schemes like rumored, then all tournament organizers should be banning anything except basic xbox controllers. Youll be able to use any button for anything, so no excuses or need for custom controllers.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Theres nothing really that can be done about using modded controllers on xbox live. I can double/quad shot with consistency that has recently got me booted out of XBC lobbies because i was "modding"... So theres no way to tell whos using one and who isnt.

If we get custom controller schemes like rumored, then all tournament organizers should be banning anything except basic xbox controllers. Youll be able to use any button for anything, so no excuses or need for custom controllers.

Exactly, if there banned at tournaments and if the community shuns them, then any "legit" competitor looking to be good wont be looking to go out and buy one.

Luckily, the Halo community isn't too big on Scuf's or other modded controllers yet, so if we can keep it under control it should be a minor inconvenience online at worst.

I have no doubt that even now when button combos have been unofficially "accepted" by the community at large and devs in H1+H2 along with other glitches, that scrubs will still whine about getting BxR'd, forced into bad spawns, doubled, ect.. just because there is always players like that but it seems that Halo has an abnormally large amount of them.

In before Scuf Halo edition double shot controller

• Upvote (+1) 5

Back in my day we had to deal with modders and standbyers. Modded controllers are a far lesser evil.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If people are going to cheat they're going to cheat. Who cares? So they got a higher number next to their name, so what? They still suck at the game and they're still going to get shit on at any actual tournaments with money on the line.

If they're not buying modded controllers they'll just pay people to boost their accounts. Why? Because they're pathetic.

Double shot controls isn't that much of an issue. They still need to aim to hit their shots and if they can't double shot without a modded controller they probably can't even aim straight anyway, so you're basically gonna have bad kids running around quad shotting the air while you just take all the time in the world to line up the perfect shots to 4 shot them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

mapping a bxr, double/quad shot to a paddle is insanely easy..You just need to have the incentive to make it.

mapping a bxr, double/quad shot to a paddle is insanely easy..You just need to have the incentive to make it.

Define easy. We're not talking about changing a single button here, we're talking about mapping a combination to a button. It's not "easy" at all.

Unless you've actually used a modded controller, I think you don't realize just how useless they really are. I'm not worried at all. I used to solder rapid fire buttons into 360 controllers back when they were popular on CoD 4, and I would sell them on ebay for a little extra cash. There is no advantage to shooting a 50 cal sniper rapidly, unless you like looking at the sky. I think any other mod for Halo 2 would be equally useless. I just can't see it becoming something carefully mapped to one button with different modes that people could use easily in-game in a practical way to get an advantage.

I am also intrigued to see how Microsoft might deal with this. To my knowledge, the Xbox One controller is much more intricate than the 360 controller, and it is able to receive firmware updates. Perhaps any hardware mods could be patched out in future, killing off controllers that have been tampered with.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I am also intrigued to see how Microsoft might deal with this. To my knowledge, the Xbox One controller is much more intricate than the 360 controller, and it is able to receive firmware updates. Perhaps any hardware mods could be patched out in future, killing off controllers that have been tampered with.

To update xb1 controllers, you have to deliberately plug it into a USB on your console, go to settings and click update controller

To update xb1 controllers, you have to deliberately plug it into a USB on your console, go to settings and click update controller

I'm aware, but if this ever became an issue, surely Microsoft would be able to force an update through live that makes a firmware update mandatory, even if it's for certain games.

EDIT:

All hypothetical of course.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Define easy. We're not talking about changing a single button here, we're talking about mapping a combination to a button. It's not "easy" at all.

They have been mapping macros to keyboards for ages.

You could def do this with a controller

They have been mapping macros to keyboards for ages.

You could def do this with a controller

It's easier to do on keyboards normally because they use software to bind macros. This would have to be at the hardware level and I'm pretty sure the X1 controllers are a bit more complex, on purpose.

I think it won't be as big of an issue, because they'll still need to time the combos correctly. For most average players, they'll probably struggle to do that consistently whether they're playing claw or with a scuf.

I also see kids buying a controller like this, and spamming double shots non-stop, and jamming their BR or simply missing and losing to someone simply shooting 4 bursts. Honestly, if it becomes that easy, kids will be trying to do button glitches when they don't need to and putting themselves at a disadvantage.

Custom button mapping would resolve the issue entirely. Only standard controllers would be allowed

Button glitches don't factor into the game nearly as much as people make it seem.

except in close quarters or when you have a secondary 

or when you need to reload 

I can see this become a problem if Live events that use online qualifications start to become more common (see the global championship).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Scuf controller trigger stops = easier double shotting

• Upvote (+1) 5

For tournaments I could see that type of stuff being banned, but you can't prove anything online. As someone stated earlier in the thread, modding standbying, etc. would be a bigger concern.

Which I'm sure 343 will be updated the banhammer from Halo 2 to prevent this stuff. I'm sure they will be building on the banning of MAC and IP address for habitual offenders.

except in close quarters or when you have a secondary 

or when you need to reload 

Not really the place, but is there a quick reload glitch? Trying to get up to date on all of these old tricks, haha.

For tournaments I could see that type of stuff being banned, but you can't prove anything online. As someone stated earlier in the thread, modding standbying, etc. would be a bigger concern.

Which I'm sure 343 will be updated the banhammer from Halo 2 to prevent this stuff. I'm sure they will be building on the banning of MAC and IP address for habitual offenders.

If you'd been keeping up with how XB1 Live is ran; any network manipulation like standbying is impossible due to no host because of dedicated servers. Modding is also impossible ATM since the furthest the modding community has gotten is a simple NAND dump (They've got a long way to go).

I'll also include that Microsoft refuses to IP ban, they only profile or console ban. Either way changing your IP is simple anyways.

Unless you've actually used a modded controller, I think you don't realize just how useless they really are. I'm not worried at all. I used to solder rapid fire buttons into 360 controllers back when they were popular on CoD 4, and I would sell them on ebay for a little extra cash. There is no advantage to shooting a 50 cal sniper rapidly, unless you like looking at the sky. I think any other mod for Halo 2 would be equally useless. I just can't see it becoming something carefully mapped to one button with different modes that people could use easily in-game in a practical way to get an advantage.

Are you even aware of the quadshot? A macro'd quadshot controller would be insanely useful. It would allow a bunch of kids to think they're Toxic Euphoria.

• Upvote (+1) 1