Gobias

What Do You Want From a Competitive FPS?

Most of the games I have played recently disappointed me.  So rather than rely on distant developers and beg them for the simplest features, I've decided I want to make my own game.  Taking inspiration from games such as Quake, Halo, and Tribes, I hope to create a competitive platform where players can battle to the death free from the tribulations of modern shooters.

I really want to focus on "the little things."  I'm confident my gameplay formula is very strong and will hold up to a critical audience.  So I ask you, what are some things you have come to expect from games, or things you would really like but have yet to see?

There are the obvious ones, such as competitive ranks and spectator mode, and then there are the subtle ones, things like HUD elements (for instance, maybe you would want an icon that indicates what specifically your teammate is doing even if you cannot see him) or other aesthetic preferences.

Are hit markers a good idea?  Should you be able to see the name of your opponent?  Friendly fire?  These are some of the things I would like to hear about.

After the Master Chief Collection was announced, I realized that my game would have to nail everything, because now people can simply go back to Halo CE and Halo 2. All I can say about the gameplay at this point is that the kill times will range from near-instantaneous to very slow; pick-ups will play an important role; the main modes will be FFA and 1v1; and it will take place in a mythological universe. Also, it will be on PC.

Don't expect it for a couple more years.

Before you say anything, I am already aware of the immense amount of effort needed to produce a multiplayer video game. I am willing to learn and put in the time. In no way will this be an easy task.

Another Horse just died because of this

It was already dead. Any actual comments?

Are hit markers a good idea?  Should you be able to see the name of your opponent?  Friendly fire?  These are some of the things I would like to hear about.

Hitmarkers are good if there is no other indication whatsoever of you damaging the opponent directly (i.e. shields, health bars, points that fly out, even sound). Anything that indirectly damages after a longer period of time like mines or grenades shouldn't have hitmarkers because people can use those as a radar kind of thing, unless you want something like that. Just my 2 cents.

The weapons should look very different from one another so the enemy can recognize what they need to do to fight back. Varying size with weapons also creates a small risk vs reward factor when holding them out; Halo's Rocket Launcher covers up half the screen, so people will try to attack from that blind spot.

I would also ask to make your power-ups wildly different from the traditional "Overshield and Camouflage" stuff, or at least make them very different from other OVs and Camos. Make your game unique from other Shooters as much as possible. There's too many Quake clones out there that just aren't that special; you can provide the originality.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I will be honest, even if i admire your dedication, in order to succeed an Indie game needs personality more than everything else. You can make an incredibly well balanced, responsive and almost-mechanically-perfect game, but if it doesn't stand out, it's going to die pretty fast anyway; and if there isn't a stable scene, the competitive crowd is soon going to return to the classics you are taking inspiration from, because they already know them well, having played them for years.

My advice is, give your game a theme, some original mechanics and in general something to make it unique. Loadout is a great example of a great competitive project from an indie developer that is both competent and have a distinct personality, i would definitely take it as a model. 

And well, of course you will need other competent people to help you out, this kind of projects are hardly directed by just one man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Eddie Thanks for the advice. I have a unique yet recognizable theme selected, which will be evident in the aesthetics of the maps. When I look at two indie games like Loadout and Warsaw, I see that Warsaw had some really cool movement mechanics, but it didn't have as trademark a theme as Loadout.

will this be a team based fps?

Also, if you have regenerating health dont allow players to flee from a losing fight without great effort. I.E. no long killtimes/sprint.

will this be a team based fps?

Also, if you have regenerating health dont allow players to flee from a losing fight without great effort. I.E. no long killtimes/sprint.

It will be based mainly on FFA and 1v1s, since team games are much more complicated. I'll still include team modes, but it will take a lot of planning to get it to work as well as FFA does. The spawning system alone is a nightmare to think about. But if you have any suggestions for team features, I'm all ears.  Team gametypes would probably take heavy inspiration from H1 doubles, 2v2 being the easiest to organize play sessions online.

It is impossible to regenerate health without manually picking it up.

Cloak and dagger edit. "Future projects" #believe.

Hmmm.

Teambased: CS 1.6

1v1: Quake 3

Anything specific from those games? I know just a few things about CS:GO, and I've played Quake Live, but I'm sure they're much different from their predecessors.

For 1v1 (which I'm thinking about a lot because it's important for games of relatively low population and for games in general) the pick-up system will be reminiscent of Quake's, but simplified and with new creative items.