CyReN

AGL 8 Knoxville Discussion

When there are that many viewers (most of which don't use the chat) during AGL streams, the bad apples tend to stick out. I normally hit the ignore button for the obvious idiots who go too far with their trolling but I can see how bad it must look for people who don't do that. I literally have over a hundred of people ignored on twitch from just h4 streams. It is disappointing but the Mods need to moderate the chat. I know Faith keeps things in line when she has mod, so hopefully tomorrow will be better.  

I have pretty thick skin when it comes to this kind of thing. I'm one of, if not the only, hispanic commentators in eSports so the amount of racist comments sent my way is plenty.

That's not what I care about.

What bothers is me is that I'm working this event for free. This is my job and something I take seriously. I believe in Halo as an eSport and I'm doing this event under that belief. When I am seeing "Listen In" spammed in the chat that bothers me. If that's what is wanted then I should not bother coming out to AGL events since casting is irrelevant according to the chat.

I don't want to loop in the Halo community because I love the Beyond community and still believe in Halo and eSports.

Hopefully tomorrow is better...

I think that most people just wanted a listen in at the closing moments of a game. I for one though love all of the commentators commenting ;)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think we should go with the 343 approach to twitch chat and require facebook linking to chat. If you don't want to use your real facebook surely anybody who wanted to ACTUALLY contribute to the conversation wouldn't mind making a fake profile to help reduce the amount of negativity. Sure there will still be trollolols but they'll be a lot easier to moderate if you have to facebook connect.

Or, the mods in there could actually do their jobs lol.

Seriously, the level of bullshit that gets posted is too damn high.

Goldenboy: It's not that casting doesn't matter, but having listen-ins helps us to get more involved with the game/players. We like hearing great commentary, but we also like hearing exactly how Infamous is communicating their pushes vs. Ambush, for example, or how Requiem was trying to pull themselves together against Status Quo.

Don't take this the wrong way, you're doing some awesome things, and IMO, your commentating with Halo is only going to get better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

For the mods' backing, the mod icon or any of the mod controls haven't been working lately, so the mods have to actually type out the command manually into the chat. So timing out or banning multiple people is very difficult when they keep spamming the same thing

I have pretty thick skin when it comes to this kind of thing. I'm one of, if not the only, hispanic commentators in eSports so the amount of racist comments sent my way is plenty.

What bothers is me is that I'm working this event for free. This is my job and something I take seriously. I believe in Halo as an eSport and I'm doing this event under that belief. When I am seeing "Listen In" spammed in the chat that bothers me. If that's what is wanted then I should not bother coming out to AGL events since casting is irrelevant according to the chat.

I don't want to loop in the Halo community because I love the Beyond community and still believe in Halo and eSports.

Please don't let the actions of a few discourage you from casting Halo events. Your casting really gets the viewers into the matches and it is obvious you have learned a lot about competitive Halo commentating in the short time you have been doing it (I was impressed with some of the positioning callouts you were making on Skyline which the average Halo player probably doesn't know). To many of us, it is clear just how much effort you put into it and you always set the bar for professionalism. It isn't going unnoticed by everyone and we do appreciate what you bring to Halo!

• Upvote (+1) 4

I love your casting Alex and I appreciate what you are doing for the community :). Either the chat needs to be flooded with mods, slow mode on, or you have to sign up on the Arena Gaming website in order to talk in the chat.

• Upvote (+1) 2

For the mods' backing, the mod icon or any of the mod controls haven't been working lately, so the mods have to actually type out the command manually into the chat. So timing out or banning multiple people is very difficult when they keep spamming the same thing

This. It's been horrible trying to ban people.

@GoldenBoy - In crucial moments of a game, people would rather listen to the teams communicate.  It has nothing to do with your ability as a commentator.  In all honesty, your commentating is good.  Gandhi and Shockwave used to get a ton of shit for their commentating back in 2011, (hell, gandhi still gets some), and it wasn't even from a twitch chat full of trolls and children.  Your communication is extremely smooth and your Halo knowledge is improving.  

Seriously, if you were bad, I would say it.  I don't like Ghost as a commentator.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel you on the listen-ins. I think you guys had a good balance, listen-ins for some people is just to hear the trash talk which normally is missed when there is commentary. I don't prefer one over the other, but I think you guys did a fantastic job in doing some commentary to open, switch to a listen in as things got a little more intense, then come back partway through and bring an external view into it again.

I think they were used as a nice break for Puckett when he used to cast every match, with having a few casters now it gives you guys a nice break so they aren't as necessary.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gandhi + Maven Know what they are talking about, but get distracted.

Ghost Knows what hes talking about, but he isnt the greatest at vocalizing his thoughts.

Golden Is always on point with the being professional and vocalizing but his CoD commentating background gets the best of him sometimes

Bar none, if I was still playing football I would want Goldenboy to give me a pep talk before every series, dude brings the hype train! Pumped for tomorrow!!!!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am loving this tournament right now. 

I wish I could But I worked 12-11 Friday and 1-11 today so I have had zero time to actually watch. Although it sounds exciting.

I wish I could But I worked 12-11 Friday and 1-11 today so I have had zero time to actually watch. Although it sounds exciting.

rebroads are probably up already, I waited til the FFA was over and it was up minutes later. Friggen work blocked twitch :(

rebroads are probably up already, I waited til the FFA was over and it was up minutes later. Friggen work blocked twitch :(

Im banned from twitch so I can only watch live and only when I watch through Beyonds stream tab.

damn i missed the Ambush v. Infamous scrim.

I dont wanana be THAT guy BUT:

I knew infamous was one of the best teams going to AGL8. If you go off twitter, twitch chats, and forums posts they are just too many fanboys and haters that usually mislead people. I watched quite a lof of scrims leading up to AGL 8 and infmaous had flawless teamwork and understanding of the gametypes. They have 0 ego issues and the whole team works like a well oiled machine to obtain their objective. I guess what I am trying to say is I am not surprised infmaous won.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also had to double post:

Goldenboy is an amazing commentator and the Halo community should be great-full he is even casting AGL. He probably could be go somewhere else and cast a more thriving game and make $$$ but he has chosen to cast at a Halo tournament for free.  And people nitpicking Goldenboy is just dumb. He is one of the best casters Halo has had. Who cares if his terms are not common in the halo community? they make sense to me most of the time and gets the point across.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

As a fellow Hispanic, if you are ever in Chicago (again) we can go get some tacos and coronas.  I'll wear my pointy snake skin boots and a sombrero, you can join me if you want and we can youtube it as Los Compadres de Halo. :D

I think Goldenboy has the best voice and way of communicating (showing professionalism), only behind Bravo, who is an incredibly clear and eloquent speaker. Gandhi and Maven are pure entertainment (matched with veteran knowledge) which also makes them effective, but in a different way. Ghost has the same knowledge as Bravo, sometimes more since he edited the maps, but doesn't have the intense, exciting voice. Either way, it's really awesome to have competitive Halo amping up each tournament. Looking forward to the end of this tournament and ones to come.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks to all the teams who gave us some great games to watch.

I can't wait for tomorrow!

Alex, we know the players well and when crucial moments of the game are in session we love hearing how they plan out the finals moments of the game and we do not at all mean we don't want to hear you. We can all agree that you are the best caster right now and we respect and admire what you do. Do not let a few bad apples ruin your halo experience.

I troll the Twitch chats a lot, I admit. But, there are certain boundaries I will never cross while trolling which account for race, weight, and overall appearance. I am not sure on the exact reason Goldenboy is disappointed, but if it has anything to do with the racial and discriminative comments from some of the people in the chat, then the chat needs to be regulated strictly. Making fun of someone who is overweight or attacking someone based on their race is not trolling; it's bullying and discriminatory.

This is bull. I always see you mocking other people in the chat based on the exact things you stated you don't do. Don't act like you're a good guy.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

like what frenetic said, please dont take that the wrong way.That has nothing to do with not wanting to listen to commentary because i do but listening to the trash talk, or team communication is a very entertaining part of its own. Back in the H3 days(i sound like gho-57 lol) puckett was everybodys favorite commentator but he and who ever he casted with would have multiple listen ins if not almost whole game listen ins. This isnt to say we didnt want to hear puckett but he knew how vital listen ins were to getting into the games.

I am very thankful for what you are doing and so are hundreds if not thousands of dedicated halo fans. I hope tonight/last night doesnt change your view of the potential that h4 still has!!

EDIT: someone said puckett used to do listen in's to take breaks, that makes sense. So listen ins or not im still going to watch and enjoy the stream. I guess that is just personal preference. Again, nothing against any of the commentators.

Anyways, 

You stay golden, Goldenboy <3