CyReN

AGL 8 Knoxville Discussion

it's inevitable, ppl get old. we should be pushing for new pro players as much as old returning players IMO

This x1000.

This community is far too attached to aging players who need to be let go of so they can proceed with the rest of their lives.  Start supporting the new wave of top Pro players instead of constantly fantasizing about 'X' great past player who has moved on coming back.

This cycle is present in all competitive activities and sports.  The difference is that the "Pro Gamer" cycle is accelerated greatly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lethul is a prophet. He said since Team Impact from CoD lost MLG Anaheim, Ambush will no doubt go down at AGL8. He also said that he was going to end APG's career, then ends up beating Classic in winners bracket and going off in that game 5. He fell a little short by not winning, but his predictions for this event were close to on point. lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Am i the only one who fines the #Haloisback thing obnoxious? I get it, people are hyped after that tournament, but how is 40 teams competing at AGL = being back?

This x1000.

This community is far too attached to aging players who need to be let go of so they can proceed with the rest of their lives.  Start supporting the new wave of top Pro players instead of constantly fantasizing about 'X' great past player who has moved on coming back.

This cycle is present in all competitive activities and sports.  The difference is that the "Pro Gamer" cycle is accelerated greatly.

The thing is... what new wave of Pros? The old pros are the ones placing well, not anyone new.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Except no one is stepping up. I mentioned this before. It's weird how with a bunch of Pros leaving for a while, it's still the old pros that are playing the best and winning.

Because a lot of the young guys are playing for the wrong reasons. They want to be famous for competing in Halo rather than being the best. When the OG's come to events, it isn't to see how many fans they can gain...it's to get that check and that number one spot. They strive for greatness, nothing less. I see so many known guys twitter accounts with "pro halo player" who've never sniffed top 8 nor got a check from this...it's funny to me. They get top 12/16 and think they earned some sort of novelty with playing halo and never work hard enough to place higher like the "old guys".

When have you ever seen Pistola scream "point check"? These new guys, top 16/32/48 guys need a lot of growing up to do if they want that top spot.

• Upvote (+1) 6

This x1000.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think the problem here is that none of the new gamers have shown themselves to be good enough to gain a fanbase. Look at the top 4 teams, every member had at least pro status in one other Halo game, and most had pro status in 2 or more. Nobody bashes newcomers in the community, though I admit it is a bit inclusive, but if people step up, and an am team challenges one of the established veteran ones, I would certainly be excited for that. Everybody loves an underdog.

I hate to say it but we will never be getting a new wave of young pros any time soon because of the lack of stepping stones in matchmaking. People simply can't pick up Team Throwdown and run away with it.

This x1000.

There just isn't any great modern players. This sound rude but im serious. Look at the top 8 of AGL Chicago 7 months ago when there wasn't alot of competition now look at the Top 8 now, the older pros seem to always comeback place top 8 no matter how long it has been since they played halo 4. I remember beeing a Pure and SvR fan for 2 events and look at them now, you can only support a team that can't get top 6 for so long..

• Upvote (+1) 1

Except no one is stepping up. I mentioned this before. It's weird how with a bunch of Pros leaving for a while, it's still the old pros that are playing the best and winning.

How so?

Formal, Dersky, Lethul, Ninja, RyaNoob (I realize he had some H3 success), etc. are all among the best players in the game.  Blaze is in that category as well when he takes the game seriously and gets on a team of equal skill.  Royal 2 and Snake Bite were also on their way to becoming absolutely elite Pro players, unfortunately the poorness of H4 at release made them quit...with SB only recently making a comeback.

These are all "Reach Kids".

• Upvote (+1) 3

Spartan needs to be given a chance on a top 4 contender team. So much potential, but no top teams are looking for breakout players

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its like when I see new dudes like LifeStyles or Spartan get beasted on it sucks. We need new blood bad. Where are the new freak of nature kids like Ola at? I guess they are playing CoD...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly I'm just glad lethul got sent back to whatever cave he crawled out of. That guy trolls so hard I'm surprised he hasn't been recruited into Sauron's army. Dat shit cray.

Anyone coming to Halo is a plus. I don't care if it's old guys or new guys. I just want to see good, competitive halo, even if only the top 5 teams have a chance at placing.

Formal, Dersky, Lethul, Ninja, RyaNoob,  Royal 2 and Snake Bite

Funny because for Halo 5 tournaments there won't be a single "Halo 4 kid"

• Upvote (+1) 2

How so?

Formal, Dersky, Lethul, Ninja, RyaNoob (I realize he had some H3 success), etc. are all among the best players in the game.  Blaze is in that category as well when he takes the game seriously and gets on a team of equal skill.  Royal 2 and Snake Bite were also on their way to becoming absolutely elite Pro players, unfortunately the poorness of H4 at release made them quit...with SB only recently making a comeback.

They aren't new anymore though. People embrace those guys, but they aren't new anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its like when I see new dudes like LifeStyles or Spartan get beasted on it sucks. We need new blood bad. Where are the new freak of nature kids like Ola at? I guess they are playing CoD...

Lifestyle been around a long time now.

As someone who competed this weekend, I must say that this event, was ran so smooth and probably one of the best tournaments yet. All the upsets, and now that Halo is bringing back more viewers, I hate to bandwagon but #HaloWillEVENTUALLYComeBack

Also I was the guy who made the field goal kick sign during the wedding proposal. Must say it was totally unexpected.

• Upvote (+1) 2

...and in the Grand Finals that you just witnessed; only Legit, Naded, and Ace can be considered "old-Halo" players.  That is 3 of 8 players.  Dersky, Goofy, and RyaNoob had some ~Top 8 success late in H3, but definitely didn't start hitting their stride until Reach.  Ninja and Lethul were total Reach Kids.

Yeah, people need to stop describing the end of AGL as anti-climactic just because they didn't get interviews and award ceremonies. That is not what a climax is, the climax was the Championship game. Those other things make up, at best, the dénouement. Like someone said before, they cut that stuff probably because they went well-over the expected end-time, and logistical issues got in the way(venue close time, employees, etc.).

I mean they left 8k hyped people hanging in the chat. I had no idea what to do with all that hype so i went and beat off.

On a srs note, shoutout to optic gaming for bringing a huge amount of people to the stream.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They aren't new anymore though. People embrace those guys, but they aren't new anymore.

That doesn't make sense. So new players are only the ones that aren't embraced by community? the community attitude towards players dont affect when they entered the competitive scene haha In relation to the entire halo franchise (halo 1 was over 10 years ago) they are very new. 

it's inevitable, ppl get old. we should be pushing for new pro players as much as old returning players IMO

this. we need to grow the scene by introducing new people, not begging the old guys to come back.

That doesn't make sense. So new players are only the ones that aren't embraced by community? the community attitude towards players dont affect when they entered the competitive scene haha In relation to the entire halo franchise (halo 1 was over 10 years ago) they are very new.

I don't get it what you're trying to say? Are you saying that Ryanoob and Dersk are new players? They've been competing for a while now and people accept them as top players. I haven't seena new names(since the release of Halo 4) consisntly place top 6. We can't embrace them if they aren't there.

As someone who competed this weekend, I must say that this event, was ran so smooth and probably one of the best tournaments yet. All the upsets, and now that Halo is bringing back more viewers, I hate to bandwagon but #HaloWillEVENTUALLYComeBack

Also I was the guy who made the field goal kick sign during the wedding proposal. Must say it was totally unexpected.

Hahha i prefer that over #Halisback. We'll have to see though. Halo competitively is still rpetty bad compared to the past Halos and it's all up to 343i if they make a good Halo game. They still haven't shown us they want what we want.

this. we need to grow the scene by introducing new people, not begging the old guys to come back.

Fix up matchmaking! :D