CyReN

They get it

Does anyone have any suggestions for this new swimming pool I'm doing?

I'm hoping to fill it with shootin sammy's tears.  :kappa:

Who's that guy in your comment? I see him everywhere in livestreams and stuff

Who's that guy in your comment? I see him everywhere in livestreams and stuff

A Halo player who frequents, or used to frequent, the Halo Waypoint forums. Infamous around here for saying things very against the norm, for example he claims in this thread that the Infinity Slayer settings are the most competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A Halo player who frequents, or used to frequent, the Halo Waypoint forums. Infamous around here for saying things very against the norm, for example he claims in this thread that the Infinity Slayer settings are the most competitive.

How'd they get his face? Do they just use his face as a joke?

Guys, skip to about 11:27

Frankie says "it's a small segment of our multiplayer experience. Arena, balanced, equal starts". So it sounds like they're not actually focusing on that stuff for the majority of multiplayer, but only for this one "arena" playlist. I seriously hope they don't just make one little arena playlist to try to keep the traditional fans happy, and then make the rest of the game unblanced, Halo 4 type bullshit. That kind of brought my hype down a little, I'm not gona lie.

I think Frankie meant that the beta will be a small segment of the multiplayer experience. I could be mistaken, but Frankie was initially responding to Chris' mention of the beta coming later this year.

• Upvote (+1) 5

My apologies, I misinterpreted your original message. Do you mean this face?  :kappa:

It started off on Twitch, I believe it is actually an employee from Twitch but I may be mistaken. People just like his face and like to post it when making a joke. It generally goes by the name Kappa. However the Kappa face and Shootin Sammy are two different people.

Guys, skip to about 11:27

Frankie says "it's a small segment of our multiplayer experience. Arena, balanced, equal starts". So it sounds like they're not actually focusing on that stuff for the majority of multiplayer, but only for this one "arena" playlist. I seriously hope they don't just make one little arena playlist to try to keep the traditional fans happy, and then make the rest of the game unblanced, Halo 4 type bullshit. That kind of brought my hype down a little, I'm not gona lie.

I think the new features will be social, and old school will be ranked. perfect. 

It's not Shootin Sammy's face. It's an emoticon to show sarcasm/joking mostly. Started on Twitch sometime ago but not too sure about its origins

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Frankie meant that the beta will be a small segment of the multiplayer experience. I could be mistaken, but Frankie was initially responding to Chris' mention of the beta coming later this year.

Yeah that's true actually. It's kind of ambiguous what he's saying because I can't tell if he's saying the arena gameplay that we'll see in the beta will be a small part of the multiplayer, or if he's saying that the beta will be a small part of the multiplayer which overall will be arena gameplay, if I'm making any sense? I really hope you're right though.

I think the new features will be social, and old school will be ranked. perfect. 

Hmm I've never liked that idea to be honest. I think ranked/social should be about having consistent gameplay (for the most part), but one place is for taking it seriously and contributing to your rank, and the other is for playing it more casually. I'd hate for ranked and social to be two different sets of core Halo gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah that's true actually. It's kind of ambiguous what he's saying because I can't tell if he's saying the arena gameplay that we'll see in the beta will be a small part of the multiplayer, or if he's saying that the beta will be a small part of the multiplayer which overall will be arena gameplay, if I'm making any sense? I really hope you're right though.

I agree with Silos - sounds like Frankie was just saying the beta is going to be a small portion of the multiplayer experience, not that the arena aspect is a small portion.

What's interesting though is earlier in that video, around 6:45 I think, they're talking about how the Halo 2 maps will run on the Halo 2 engine, Halo 3 on Halo 3 engine, etc. Which is great, that's what we want. But then they mention the "6 iconic Halo 2 maps" that are being remade "on a more modern engine" and then they say that the Ascension being shown is one of them. I remember in another thread, someone tweeted Bravo and asked why, in that video, the Halo 4 sniper was shown and Bravo said it was just a place holder.

This makes me wonder like... is that "more modern engine" a brand new engine, is it just a more robust Halo 2 engine, or were we getting a sneak peak into the Halo 5 multiplayer? Wouldn't it make sense for those 6 iconic maps to be the map pool for the Halo 5 beta? Why not? Easy to learn and arguable some of the best maps made, both for competitive play and otherwise. And if that's the case, I didn't see anybody in that Ascension game sprint so.......... please god.

Edit: To add to this... the HUD in that Ascension video is definitely not Halo 2 - even HD. Compare it to the Halo 2 campaign footage shown. It looks more Halo 4... but the grenade count goes above 2 of each, which (if I remember correctly, it's been awhile) is not Halo 4. Maybe someone with way more experience on Halo 2 can say if anything about what that is is different - movement speed, for example - cause I can't tell if I'm looking at just a Halo 2/4 mashup that looks sexy, or something new.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just a bit more food for thought.  Halo focused entirely on multiplayer this time around for this E3.  Normally halo just shows off campaign.  343 is for realz now. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

For anyone questioning Halo 5's "engine" I have some food for thought. The H2A maps/multiplayer that were shown at e3 were running on a version of H4's engine...an "updated" version (Halo 5?). Go back and watch the gameplay with Ghost/Neighbor/Bravo and you will notice that there is no sprint or flinch (instead descope). Those are 2 incredible signs in and of itself. Now take into account they just released MCC to bring back that nostalgia and re-introduce old fans and introduce new fans to what HALO REALLY IS. The only reason I can see them doing this is because Halo 5 will be more like classic than anything. I'm going to be the first one to call that there will be NO SPRINT in Halo 5. I'd literally put money on it. It just makes sense. 3/4 MCC games have no sprint. That is what people will be playing for the next full year.

You really think they will through sprint back in our face?

HELLLLL NAAAAA.

• Upvote (+1) 2

For anyone questioning Halo 5's "engine" I have some food for thought. The H2A maps/multiplayer that were shown at e3 were running on a version of H4's engine...an "updated" version (Halo 5?). Go back and watch the gameplay with Ghost/Neighbor/Bravo and you will notice that there is no sprint or flinch (instead descope). Those are 2 incredible signs in and of itself. Now take into account they just released MCC to bring back that nostalgia and re-introduce old fans and introduce new fans to what HALO REALLY IS. The only reason I can see them doing this is because Halo 5 will be more like classic than anything. I'm going to be the first one to call that there will be NO SPRINT in Halo 5. I'd literally put money on it. It just makes sense. 3/4 MCC games have no sprint. That is what people will be playing for the next full year.

HELLLLL NAAAAA.

I would hope this is the case. However I will remain sceptical for the time being where it concerns sprint and 'new Spartan abilities'.

On a positive note I am overall incredibly optimistic for Halo's future with MCC and that 343i has shown us they have listened.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Go back and watch the gameplay with Ghost/Neighbor/Bravo

All three of the above posts make great points.

Quoting this because I'm lazy and would like a link to this video please.

Let's wait until we have some more solid evidence before riding the hype train.

This attitude was all over THC before Halo 4's launch, and that went swimmingly.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm just slightly weary about the updated H2 engine for the updated maps, if they'll get everything right. Combos, damage, etc. If they literally pulled the Halo 2 engine code for some parts and the good Halo 4 code for other parts, that's pretty fly. But, it's concerning nonetheless. Still, things like shield bar being top center unlike old H2 is fine to me. I think that's better. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

All three of the above posts make great points.

Quoting this because I'm lazy and would like a link to this video please.

A link to the multiplayer clip during E3 

The only time I noticed descope was closer to the end, specifically around 1:52 when Ghost gets shot by a banshee.

I'm just slightly weary about the updated H2 engine for the updated maps, if they'll get everything right. Combos, damage, etc. If they literally pulled the Halo 2 engine code for some parts and the good Halo 4 code for other parts, that's pretty fly. But, it's concerning nonetheless. Still, things like shield bar being top center unlike old H2 is fine to me. I think that's better. 

Didn't 343i said that they'd never touch a thing on the Halo 2 engine? They just updated the Graphics that's all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am guessing that the new engine is so freaking flexible that they can adjust parameters to produce the mechanics for any title with it. Then they could adjust the halo 5 mechanics to play according to to most favorite title that the community plays.

Just a bit more food for thought. Halo focused entirely on multiplayer this time around for this E3. Normally halo just shows off campaign. 343 is for realz now.

It would appear that they are proud of multiplayer this time around and want to talk it through more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

HELLLLL NAAAAA.

Going even further, Frankie states in the most recent Gamespot interview that they want to head more towards the "old school" style of Halo for the 5th iteration.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/samsung-stage-1-2014/

Interview should start around 2:36.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Going even further, Frankie states in the most recent Gamespot interview that they want to head more towards the "old school" style of Halo for the 5th iteration.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/samsung-stage-1-2014/

Interview should start around 2:36.

a lot of us were around pre-halo 4 launch. and 343 said a lot of "right things" before halo 4 launched. I am looking forward to the master chief collection and I think every Halo fan would enjoy it.

however its hard to judge its competitive merit without playing the game for a solid month. Also i am wondering if they added spectator mode at all. I think with no spectator mode I dont expect there to be many events. I am sure MLG would run 1 event with 343 for the launch (similar to halo 4). Right now we are just riding the wave  of nostalgia.

^ this.

As much as I want Halo to be good again, as much as I want to believe that 343 Industries is actually going to listen to their community... I dunno. I feel like that abused dog that keeps coming home every time things seem nice and happy, only to get punched in the face and left outside in the rain. They need to do a ViDoc and flat out say shit like "No more sprint, not more jetpacks, descope is back without flinch, sandbox doesn't suck, disc maps don't suck, CTF is restored, Assault is a thing, and we actually have ranks."

Then I'll start saying #WeBack.

Most of the hype comes from Halo CE, 2 being available on Xbox Live again, I feel. A big "WE BACK" to that from me. ;)

We'll see about H5 I guess... Haha