Joseph

Frank O'Connor confirms Armor Abilities removed from Halo 5

Ironic that before the release of Reach and 4 they said they took some influence from CE. Don't remember what Bungie said it was probably some vague statement or about the artstyle but 343 claimed the spawn system was similar or influenced by CE's. Ridiculous if you look back at it now that the game has been released.

Then again remember Kevin Franklin dening that there where random spawns in CE!? LOL

They took a lot of inspiration from CE in Reach. Single-shot precision weapons, healthpacks and removal of dual-wielding, for example. Then bloom and AAs stopped it from being great.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The CE influence was referring to the Single Player. They said that they wanted to invoke the sense of discovery that CE did.

Well they failed. Lol. Not sure how you get a "sense of discovery" when everything you're exploring is already settled by humans. The exploration factor of CE's campaign was due to the fact that it was all uninhabited by humans, and the few allies you did see were stranded in hostile situations (e.g. Halo marines besieged by covies, or T&R marines thrown in the brig). That gave it the sense of discovery.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They took a lot of inspiration from CE in Reach. Single-shot precision weapons, healthpacks and removal of dual-wielding, for example. Then bloom and AAs stopped it from being great.

Omg yes! They were so close! but Armor lock, Jetpack and the rest of the AA's had to exist....as LOADOUTS

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with this one, and wait to see what these "features" are. 

Seriously, at least armor abilities can be disabled. If "spartan abilities" are as fundamental as holding a weapon and aiming then they could be game breaking. Cross your fingers that the slide-tackle in the H5 trailer doesn't do damage to your opponents...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seriously, at least armor abilities can be disabled. If "spartan abilities" are as fundamental as holding a weapon and aiming then they could be game breaking. Cross your fingers that the slide-tackle in the H5 trailer doesn't do damage to your opponents...

That trailer we saw was CGI, not actual gameplay. We shouldn't be simply assuming that Spartan Abilities are sliding, ground pounding, etc. Halo 3's CGI trailer featured Sprinting and a Bubble Shield - guess which never ended up in Halo 3? Sprint!

That trailer we saw was CGI, not actual gameplay. We shouldn't be simply assuming that Spartan Abilities are sliding, ground pounding, etc. Halo 3's CGI trailer featured Sprinting and a Bubble Shield - guess which never ended up in Halo 3? Sprint!

The bubble shield was still pretty prominent and that ended up being in the game. We can't dismiss the trailer purely because of CGI. Those abilities were shown with  a  purpose. + We're dealing with 343 now, not Bungie. They may go about trailers differently. 

While true, I still find myself nervous because 343 said the trailer was made using actual assets from the game. The last thing I want to be reminded of while playing Halo is this old NES game I used to play:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7OikU5v7u6E

The bubble shield was still pretty prominent and that ended up being in the game. We can't dismiss the trailer purely because of CGI. Those abilities were shown with  a  purpose. + We're dealing with 343 now, not Bungie. They may go about trailers differently. 

I'm just saying - you shouldn't assume that they will be in the game, being as OP as they are in the CGI trailer. It's CGI. We're also getting a beta pretty much 7-9 months in advance. That is A LOT of time to tweak and modify compared to Halo: Reach's beta and footage we saw of Halo 4.

I'm just saying - you shouldn't assume that they will be in the game, being as OP as they are in the CGI trailer. It's CGI. We're also getting a beta pretty much 7-9 months in advance. That is A LOT of time to tweak and modify compared to Halo: Reach's beta and footage we saw of Halo 4.

Don't forget Halo 4's first trailer. Where Chief uses jetpack from his default armour and not from an armor ability which doesn't exist in the game.

Just like halo 5's trailer, where most Spartans use some kind of jet pack or thruster pack. It can be just for the trailer, as we never used a default jetpack in Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't forget Halo 4's first trailer. Where Chief uses jetpack from his default armour and not from an armor ability which doesn't exist in the game.

Just like halo 5's trailer, where most Spartans use some kind of jet pack or thruster pack. It can be just for the trailer, as we never used a default jetpack in Halo 4.

He uses the zero g thruster I believe which is on every mark VI. Was mentioned in the books if i remember right....

Where are the canon experts? :P

• Upvote (+1) 2

He uses the zero g thruster I believe which is on every mark VI. Was mentioned in the books if i remember right....

My point is, there was some groups in the community who were worried we had Default Jepack. Wouldn't mind if Chief is flying like superman in space in campaign hahaha.

I just don't want to say: ONE SHOT, GUY FLYING IN BLUE SPACE. :kappa:  

Correct. He actually uses that Thruster briefly during Halo 4's Campaign on Shutdown.

GracefulCarefreeEchidna.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm a fucking loremaster and I didn't even know it!

• Upvote (+1) 3

No Armor Abilities but we can use our body as a Rocket if we jump from s2 to s1

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has anyone heard anything regarding Loadouts being scrapped also? I know there was an interview where Frank said equal starts, and "old school halo" like gameplay, but has it been stated that Loadouts are gone or am I'm just reading too far into things at this point?

Am I the only person that thinks AAs being completely removed is a BAD idea?

While I want AAs removed from 90% of matchmaking playlists I think they still have a place in an Invasion style playlist and of course in Action Sack.

Halo isn't just for the competitive community. So long as AAs aren't presented as the "default" experience but as a fringe way to play I don't see them harming Halo.

But my biggest problem is 343i removing features. They did the same thing in Halo 4 and it was regarded as a mistake. Why are we applauding it now?

Removal of AAs hurts the machinima community - allowing them to do LESS than they could in previous games. There are also a lot of kids who play custom games almost exclusively, the biggest section of these is the custom Infection kids. They make all kinds of crazy Infection game types and other mini-games. Should those players be stripped of a way they enjoy Halo?

The machinima community wants the ability to lower their weapons more than anything in the world, and it's kind of silly that neither Bungie or 343 has been able to make that happen yet. If 343 gave them that then I don't think they'd complain about losing AAs. Halo machinima existed long before AAs anyway.

While I want AAs removed from 90% of matchmaking playlists I think they still have a place in an Invasion style playlist and of course in Action Sack.

Halo isn't just for the competitive community. So long as AAs aren't presented as the "default" experience but as a fringe way to play I don't see them harming Halo.

But my biggest problem is 343i removing features. They did the same thing in Halo 4 and it was regarded as a mistake. Why are we applauding it now?

Removal of AAs hurts the machinima community - allowing them to do LESS than they could in previous games. There are also a lot of kids who play custom games almost exclusively, the biggest section of these is the custom Infection kids. They make all kinds of crazy Infection game types and other mini-games. Should those players be stripped of a way they enjoy Halo?

Tempted to neg.

What good did AAs ever do for Halo? Machinima? Not really. Actions Sack and Invasion? Would do just fine without AAs.

343i might have removed a ton of good stuff (Ranks, good MM, descope, good movement etc.) for, but 343i also (mostly) removed Bloom on precision weapons in H4, was that a mistake as well?

I think biggest problem would be the consistency throughout the game. Sure people wouldn't mind using Jetpacks and whatnot to make Machinimas or Rockets & Railguns, but why keep them in there for just one group? Or just for Customs? Or just a few playlists? I would bet keeping the experience very similar across the entire game so everyone can transition easily between playlists is more important for Halo as a whole than adding in things for Machinimas or Action Sack in the long run.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think they need to drop the story from campaign as well, and the enemy AI - campaign should be divided up into short segments against similarly skilled players... you know, for a more similar experience across the entire game.

We aren't going to get a similar experience across the whole game. Unless you consider Battlefield 4 similar to Halo 2.

The "Next Gen Arena Gameplay" promised is what's going to be present in THE BETA included with MCC. They've already said that's the focus of that and there is other offerings in multiplayer as well. So, newsflash - there's going to be a different way to play Halo in H5, and we're all going to hate it. Arena style play is going to be ONE option, mark my words. (and Bonnie's)

The beta focuses on arena, Ross said. "Later this fall we'll talk about our full offering."

343i might have removed a ton of good stuff (Ranks, good MM, descope, good movement etc.) for, but 343i also (mostly) removed Bloom on precision weapons in H4, was that a mistake as well?

Bloom is bad- but far less worse than flinch and sprint combined. They made those permanent, say what you will about AAs but at least when sprint was an AA I could turn it off.

What wonderful horseshit is going to not be an option to turn off when we have Spartan Abilities instead of AAs? Give the kids AAs to play in dumb gametypes and let the competitive crowd turn them off easily. It's a much better option.

We wouldn't be talking about how worrisome the "ground pound" was if Frankie said "Don't worry, that's an AA and won't be included in Arena style playlists."

The "Next Gen Arena Gameplay" promised is what's going to be present in THE BETA included with MCC. They've already said that's the focus of that and there is other offerings in multiplayer as well. So, newsflash - there's going to be a different way to play Halo in H5, and we're all going to hate it. Arena style play is going to be ONE option, mark my words. (and Bonnie's)

The beta focuses on arena, Ross said. "Later this fall we'll talk about our full offering."

I dont think 343 has a clue what Arena aspects make a good arena game, so better just throw the word around all over the place and hope people fall for it.

And yes I agree, that leak from ages ago suggested big massive BF style Halo battles, which goes full ******. Its not in the beta probably because its not ready yet. I imagine there will be 2 betas.

I think they need to drop the story from campaign as well, and the enemy AI - campaign should be divided up into short segments against similarly skilled players... you know, for a more similar experience across the entire game.

Shit example mate

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think AAs is why even MLG v7 couldn't save Reach.  Just knowing that somewhere out there some kids were enjoying a game of DinoBlasters made that shit unplayable.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, do something Titanfall did that everyone hated. That's a good idea. 

I know you were being sarcastic, but that has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game. Not being able to turn things off makes it more consistent across the game also. Sure, we might not like it, but in case you didn't notice... people also hated some things H2 brought in that weren't in H1. People are always going to complain about something.

They are trying to make the game better by taking out the things that people hated and what killed the game after 3 months. There is really no reason to leave it in other than your machinima consistency argument, which isn't as prevalent in the Halo world as the competitive scene lol. In general, no one is going to watch machinimas if no one likes the game in the first place. 

I personally would rather it be something like they are doing with everyone having the ability than something as random as AAs and things of that nature. It's better for the game, and last I checked, Halo is a game. I know people do other things like machinimas and forging and what have you, but in the end, 343 is in the business of making a game that will sell and make money. Not make a Machinima platform. 

• Upvote (+1) 1