Joseph

Frank O'Connor confirms Armor Abilities removed from Halo 5

While this is the most amazing news I've heard all morning. IF Sprint comes into Halo 5, 343 will have it in social and not in ranked. You guys take the idea of Sprint way too seriously. It COULD be useful for some custom games.

Thats if 343 listened and finally put ranked and social into the playlists...

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with this one, and wait to see what these "features" are. 

Exactly.

He said they were game mechanics. This is going to be interesting.

What are all your thoughts on the "drop" ability? Let's say it's a default mechanic, which seems to be the case. (I'm guessing you hold the melee button while dropping, like in Souls games.) I've been seeing it as something that could be very beneficial to map positioning, but all the hype may be making me biased. Someone tell me I'm wrong and explain why this drop thing could be bad.

Oh My Tosis, on 10 Jun 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:snapback.png

cover mechanic

^

Please no.

Yeah, dear god please don't let that be a thing. That would be horrible.

I admit I am a little concerned about the 'new features' but I also understand 343's desire to bring something new hopefully without fucking it up H4 style.

Overall I'm more optimistic about Halo than I've been since Halo 2... mainly because I get to play Halo 2 endlessly again :P

343 Choosing to have a beta a year before release is incredibly important and I'm so happy. A year is more than enough time to adjust or even remove certain 'new features' if they prove to be a terrible idea.

So I'm Happy :) <3

You guys take the idea of Sprint way too seriously. It COULD be useful for some custom games.

Well, there's indiana jones...

• Upvote (+1) 1

The reason question is what do we get instead? thats what Im worried about.  I never thought there would be flinch in a halo game, so yeah.

The reason question is what do we get instead? thats what Im worried about.  I never thought there would be flinch in a halo game, so yeah.

Slide to Cover and AoE Stun.

I doubt they would do that but the Fist Smash was weird as FUCK.

I think the only real mechanic we saw in the trailer was the smash/powerstomp/ground stomp. It comes right after the "new Spartan abilities" part and is much more blatant than the others. But :salt:

On a side note, if I was working on the beta trailer, I would have made the Spartans do the sprint animation even if sprint was out. It's a basic cinematic effect. You wouldn't want to show them walking around briskly unless you wanted it to look like a machinima from 2008.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know why 343 would remove armor abilities for H5.The community is so blind by going back to the old boring hall.To sew that armor abilities have helped the community into making halo fun and balanced.Armor abilities are the best thing that could of ever happened.Its just that most of these who want old stupid halo back just suck at Halo 4.One of the most balanced games ever created.

• Downvote (-1) 9

Why is everyone presuming that a CGI trailer is representative of the final game? Has 343 actually stated that the ground punch thing is in the game?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is everyone presuming that a CGI trailer is representative of the final game? Has 343 actually stated that the ground punch thing is in the game?

wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened

notice the bubble shield

• Upvote (+1) 2

You think it isn't representative of the game's current state?

wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened

notice the bubble shield

Master Chief also used sprint but it wasn't in Halo 3

• Upvote (+1) 2

You think it isn't representative of the game's current state?

I don't know, because I've follow enough game announcements in the past to realise that it is pointless to try and figure out how the game is going to play based off of a CGI trailer.

I don't know, because I've follow enough game announcements in the past to realise that it is pointless to try and figure out how the game is going to play based off of a CGI trailer.

What do you want us to do then tumblr_lp3g27EHqR1qkwc9zo1_500.gif

We have been conditioned to expect bad things for our game because of the past experieces in the last years.

It's really hard to tell and even harder knowing we're not gonna know for at least a couple months...

Let's just hope they really meant it when they put the word "Arena" in the trailer. I have a feeling they do.

I will need more info from 343 until i can give my feels about this game/news .

But from the looks of H2A we are going down the right road

"Spartan Abilities" could very well be just as bad for competitive as Armor Abilities.  I mean, it seems to me the only difference is the name, and that's all 343 is saying.  A spartan and its armor are essentially one in the same.

This is developers thinking they have to incorporate something new and "cool" into the game, even though it's not what the community wants.  We want vanilla Halo with better graphics and physics engines with a sleek interface; nothing more.  But they won't give us that.  There's this disease in the industry that causes game devs to believe their modification to something great makes it better, when in fact it is often a destruction.  I can't possibly see "Spartan Abilities" as anything else.

You see it with the wierd wall climbing in Titan Fall and stupid double jumping in Destiny.  Things that destroy competitiveness in FPSs are rampant right now.

Any mod to enhance escapability is an instant dwarf to strafing/aiming requirements and causes death to the necessary skill gap.

Yeah, this worries me. I can definitely see 343 continuing to "chase the dragon" of CoD and other popular shooters, ignoring what makes Halo unique. Then again, we've been reassured that "they get it", and MCC is a sign of that. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's a shame no Halo game will take its influences from CE again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Spartan Abilities" could very well be just as bad for competitive as Armor Abilities.  I mean, it seems to me the only difference is the name, and that's all 343 is saying.  A spartan and its armor are essentially one in the same.

Two things to say to this:

1. There's already a major positive different with spartan abilities - they're default for everyone. Unlike with armour abilities, there's no guessing what your enemy might. You can plan your approach to gameplay around what you know they can do with what abilities they have available to them. No randomness.

2. It really comes down to the individual abilities when it comes to whether they're good or bad for the game. The ability to board vehicles, melee or jump are all inherent spartan abilities, yet they only add value to the gameplay. Whereas sprint is something that harms gameplay even though everyone has it.

I really think we should see the individual abilities before we judge them.

This is developers thinking they have to incorporate something new and "cool" into the game,

It is, but I don't blame them at all as long as they actually put more thought into what they're adding than simply "CoD has it, and CoD = popular, therefore we'll put it in Halo! Yay!"

You see it with the wierd wall climbing in Titan Fall and stupid double jumping in Destiny.  Things that destroy competitiveness in FPSs are rampant right now.

We don't know at this point whether or not the abilities will destroy the competitiveness of Halo. It's too early to judge that.

Any mod to enhance escapability is an instant dwarf to strafing/aiming requirements and causes death to the necessary skill gap.

I agree but we don't know yet that these abilities will act in such a way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, this worries me. I can definitely see 343 continuing to "chase the dragon" of CoD and other popular shooters, ignoring what makes Halo unique. Then again, we've been reassured that "they get it", and MCC is a sign of that. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's a shame no Halo game will take its influences from CE again.

Ironic that before the release of Reach and 4 they said they took some influence from CE. Don't remember what Bungie said it was probably some vague statement or about the artstyle but 343 claimed the spawn system was similar or influenced by CE's. Ridiculous if you look back at it now that the game has been released.

Then again remember Kevin Franklin dening that there where random spawns in CE!? LOL

Ironic that before the release of Reach and 4 they said they took some influence from CE. Don't remember what Bungie said it was probably some vague statement or about the artstyle but 343 claimed the spawn system was similar or influenced by CE's. Ridiculous if you look back at it now that the game has been released.

Then again remember Kevin Franklin dening that there where random spawns in CE!? LOL

The CE influence was referring to the Single Player. They said that they wanted to invoke the sense of discovery that CE did.