Joseph

Frank O'Connor confirms Armor Abilities removed from Halo 5

Halo 5 is already looking good. 

Today is the day Halo fans have dreamed of for years. 

"They said this day would never come. What do they have to say now?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure sprint is technically a spartan ability now. It is a main thing in the beta trailer.

Jetpack and Camo off spawn being gone for good means nothing? 

there is nothing saying that you won't get one off spawn. Just it won't be labeled as an armor ability.

For instance, you could spawn with 1 piece of equipment(think h3 here), then use it, and you're done. Or every1 gets every ability off spawn. navigate through the d pad to use it.

But for the record. if sprint is in the game, I have no hope.

yes today was a marvelous day.

But until they say

"sprint will not be in the game"

"descope will be in this game"

"flinch is removed"

"wtf is spread? never heard of it"

heck. they could tu halo 4 right now, remove sprint, remove bloom/spread. update maps to make them at least playable. yada, yada. But, they don't.

Heck there are even grenade indicators and hitmarkers in the damn showcase video. People have said its placeholders, but I don't see 343 saying that?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the new spartan abilities would be something like a knee slide or cover mechanic from watching the H5 trailer.

It was pointed out in another thread that Chief sprinted in the H3 TV spot and... H3 didn't have Sprint. 

Anything is on the table at this point. Well, except  AAs. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

there is nothing saying that you won't get one off spawn.

DON'T YOU DARE.

• Upvote (+1) 3

there is nothing saying that you won't get one off spawn. Just it won't be labeled as an armor ability.

For instance, you could spawn with 1 piece of equipment(think h3 here), then use it, and you're done. Or every1 gets every ability off spawn. navigate through the d pad to use it.

I doubt 343 would remove Armor Abilities then allow you to spawn with a 1 use camo type thing. It's not like they're stupid

I doubt 343 would remove Armor Abilities then allow you to spawn with a 1 use camo type thing. It's not like they're stupid

i said the same thing before halo 4.

yet we ended up with the worse game in the series.

Damn, that's good to read.  It's still definitely a wait and see. But we are getting an early beta.  So there will be some time for changes to be made... right?  

I was presently surprised by the emphasis they placed on "Arena"...  Also this screenshot of an Arena style map looks amazing.  If they are heading in this direction I'm digging it.  Dem scoreboards :)

vd8rc3e.png

Great! Now they can be fun and useful again as on-map pickups. 

Hope the spartan abilities are movement and melee changes. The ability to combat roll, grab on to things (throwing a fusion coil would be awesome), and have melee combos would make things more interesting. If marines can combat roll, why can't spartans? Perfect replacement for sprint, IMO. And CQC needs an overhaul. In 3, R, & 4, it's just who can mash RB more...

i said the same thing before halo 4.

yet we ended up with the worse game in the series.

Um, why compare them to years ago when they just proved they get what we want by revealing MC edition and took out Armor Abilities? I won't insult you because I tend to look at the negative side of things, too, but saying "dont celebrate yet guise we might still b able to spawn with camo!1" is simply silly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"New Spartan Abilities" or new features similar to vehicle boarding and dual wielding could consist of (and I'm just throwing ideas down):

-Sliding

-Double jumps

-Parkour/anything involving running on walls

-A "ground pound"

-Melee combos

-Cover system

-Sidestepping

-Character boarding

-Prone (please no)

-Crafting (loool)

-Swimming

-Triple wielding

-Over wielding

-ADS  :kappa:

Nothing in a short CGI trailer is set in stone so we can only broadly speculate. I'd say movement specific things are more likely. 

I believe that I saw a spartan punch the ground in the preview but I could be wrong. I would expect something melee related or vehicle related.

I don't have anything to complain about. They are delivering on all levels and people that are complaining still shouldn't be and just bringing negativity with you.

Long Live Halo!

as far as i'm concerned, i have no reason to believe halo 5 won't be atleast as good as halo 3 with bravo, ghost and menke working their magic with 343. all these changes tell me 343 are listening to not just them but the many people both here at beyond and the ones who left halo 4.

Um, why compare them to years ago when they just proved they get what we want by revealing MC edition and took out Armor Abilities? I won't insult you because I tend to look at the negative side of things, too, but saying "dont celebrate yet guise we might still b able to spawn with camo!1" is simply silly.

halo reach's worst: bloom, aa's in general but camo and armor lock suck, no ranks, no party separation, crappy vehicles, spread, bad maps, grey.

343 takes this feedback and puts this into their game: bloom, aa's but removes armor lock, forces sprint down our throats, forces flinch down our throats, no ranks, no party separation, crappy vehicles, 75m radars, spread, bad maps, brown + gray, instant respawn only, no oddball, no koth, no flag juggle.

well they got rid of armor lock at least? Going by stupid logic, they'll break some things we take for granted (like descope, ball holding, flag juggle in h4) in h5 like slower movement speed when scoped, remove shields, like i honestly don't know how you can publish a halo game with the above.

edit: forgot to mention personal ordinance.

I editted this into one of my earlier posts but basically I'll believe results when I see results. which will be dec 27th at the latest. To win me over, they can patch halo 4 into a credible game.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Damn, that's good to read.  It's still definitely a wait and see. But we are getting an early beta.  So there will be some time for changes to be made... right?  

I was presently surprised by the emphasis they placed on "Arena"...  Also this screenshot of an Arena style map looks amazing.  If they are heading in this direction I'm digging it.  Dem scoreboards :)

vd8rc3e.png

$10 that represents a spectator mode of sorts

• Upvote (+1) 5

Sprint isn't going anywhere. As much as I despise this, I've accepted it for what it is. It was clear from the H5 glimpse that Sprint was a focal point. However, all the positives from that glimpse completely trump sprint for me. The scoreboards, the emphasis on "arena", the bad-ass introduction of the spartans as they prepared for battle. Everything about it screamed competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 4

halo reach's worst: bloom, aa's in general but camo and armor lock suck, no ranks, no party separation, crappy vehicles, spread, bad maps, grey.

343 takes this feedback and puts this into their game: bloom, aa's but removes armor lock, forces sprint down our throats, forces flinch down our throats, no ranks, no party separation, crappy vehicles, 75m radars, spread, bad maps, brown + gray, instant respawn only, no oddball, no koth, no flag juggle.

well they got rid of armor lock at least? Going by stupid logic, they'll break some things we take for granted (like descope, ball holding, flag juggle in h4) in h5 like slower movement speed when scoped, remove shields, like i honestly don't know how you can publish a halo game with the above.

Most obviously there is room for error in regards to many things. But if you look at what they've done RECENTLY, not years ago, you'd see it APPEARS they have an entirely revamped mindset. It's like your using data from an old study when a new, better one has come out. Your original premise was about Spartan Abilities being like Armor Abilities, and that's all I'm really interested in addressing, for I want to make the simple point that 343 isn't stupid and won't replace Armor Abilities with Spartan Abilities that essentially do the same things and break the game. The fact that they're not stupid, anymore, is supported by their development of the MC edition and their ability to listen to the comp. community.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yes today was a marvelous day.

But until they say

"sprint will not be in the game"

"descope will be in this game"

"flinch is removed"

"wtf is spread? never heard of it"

heck. they could tu halo 4 right now, remove sprint, remove bloom/spread. update maps to make them at least playable. yada, yada. But, they don't.

Heck there are even grenade indicators and hitmarkers in the damn showcase video. People have said its placeholders, but I don't see 343 saying that?

Sigh... you just can't please some people

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, I'll wait and see what these " new features " are.  I will have H2 and CE, if Halo 5 fails , I will not care 1 bit.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sprint....is okay, I can live with that...camo off spawn, jetpack off spawn...no.

I disagree, sprint is not okay. It completely destroys the feel of a Halo game.

It does matters a lot if they put it in too, 343 has to be 100% on point with Halo 5 for it to not die immediately since the other Halo's are released to the Xbox One.

I'm so glad they do a Beta so I can see if they game sucks before I buy it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is the best day of my gaming life.

Edit:  My guess for new abilities is a parkour/mantling system like in BF3/4, which would be ok so long as it isn't tied to the jump button like it is in BF.

My hope is like what Vetoed said, intentional button combos that are skillful to pull off that let you do cool shit.