Sign in to follow this  
minusminun

Can the Master Chief Collection bring back Competitive Halo?

I am if we don't get system link.

I'm not sweating it because I'm cool with it if it plays like XBC on a decent host which I believe is worst case scenario.  I don't play XBC because I can't get it running.  But accessibility, voice support, matchmaking, etc all play a factor too.  Plus, there will be no host advantage.  I mean, it's all about expectations and I keep mine low and am still happy(long as I get system link)

Halo 1 had 4 box max support over LAN.   Now with MCC it's going to work on dedicated servers with (hopefully 16) boxes connecting.  The entire netcode will have to be redone to not only connect to XBL but to also redesign packets being sent to a dedicated server and not a p2p host.  Like posted earlier SC2 still has LANS and has no LAN support.  Everyone at a LAN will have the same connection speed/distance to the dedicated servers so there won't be any host advantage.

Netcode in H1 should be the last of our worries as long as 343 tests it.. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Depends on what you mean by competitive Halo.  If your referring to it becoming a top contender among other top competitive titles at major tournament organizations past a year or two than you will most likely be disappointed.  If you mean having a competitive Halo on Xbox Live for years then yes Competitive Halo will be back.  

People aren't having realistic expectations when it comes to competitive Halo.  Halo is never with this much competition already situated in the top dog seats going to go back to being MLG or any leagues flagship title.  Halo screwed up at the most important times for the NA scene to retain it's position.  The only thing Halo can hope to at best to achieve unless it suddenly becomes more popular than LoL or DOTA is having a couple MLG events and a couple online tournaments for a year or two if that.  More realistically it would be only a single event and a single online tournament.  And honestly once that year or two or even shorter is up is the community just going to give up and leave after the ride is over?  Is the community really going to just rely on big companies to keep competitive Halo alive?  Is nothing EVER going to change?  

Halo 1 had 4 box max support over LAN.   Now with MCC it's going to work on dedicated servers with (hopefully 16) boxes connecting.  The entire netcode will have to be redone to not only connect to XBL but to also redesign packets being sent to a dedicated server and not a p2p host.  Like posted earlier SC2 still has LANS and has no LAN support.  Everyone at a LAN will have the same connection speed/distance to the dedicated servers so there won't be any host advantage.

Netcode in H1 should be the last of our worries as long as 343 tests it.. 

Halo PC lets up to 16 players connect to a player host or dedicated server, online or on LAN.

Halo PC has "more advanced" netcode than Halo Xbox does, but it also incomplete and has a lot of problems.  At the very least, movement isn't delayed like off-host Xbox, and it's somewhere to start.  I'm still worried about Halo 1's MCC netcode, but I can live with it being similar to what we have now.

@@Artaneius I expect MCC to allow me to play Halo online with a functioning matchmaking system for a long time and that's all I care about.  I'd like to see the Halo community run its own tournament scene and not rely on MLG, but MLG tournaments will be great if they happen.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm going to support the small online communities that run tournaments as much as possible. But the biggest thing is I will personally get involved in developing my state or regions LAN scene. Finding affordable venues and seeing which LAN centers or freelance gaming clubs will host events.

The only reason cod was ever big competitive wise was because of optic and big youtube personalities that made 6 year olds think that they were doing something even the slightest bit productive. Now though, cod is declining and I think MCC could take advantage of that. Anyway theres been so much hype that it really will bring more players over to halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1