Sign in to follow this  
minusminun

Can the Master Chief Collection bring back Competitive Halo?

Maybe tournaments can be self funded just like the DOTA 2 international and like many CS:GO tournys. 

With self funding I wouldn't expect anything on the developer side until at least H5 due to the logistics of it. That doesn't stop the community from doing it themselves and honestly it's the right time to start.

I feel like we are going to get something. Maybe one mlg event or something, but I don't expect continuous events or anything unless the community really shows up.

People don't travel like they used to. In H2 we would have 250 passes sold out in minutes, crashing the website, people would be heated they didn't get a pass and then go on a waitlist to attempt to get passes if they ever opened up.

Until we can start pulling close to half of that consistently I just do not see it happening.

This game is a great opportunity and we will be given a chance (By MLG I imagine) and it all depends on how we take the opportunity that will determine whether we are a mainstay or just a one and done event.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like we are going to get something. Maybe one mlg event or something, but I don't expect continuous events or anything unless the community really shows up.

People don't travel like they used to. In H2 we would have 250 passes sold out in minutes, crashing the website, people would be heated they didn't get a pass and then go on a waitlist to attempt to get passes if they ever opened up.

Until we can start pulling close to half of that consistently I just do not see it happening.

This game is a great opportunity and we will be given a chance (By MLG I imagine) and it all depends on how we take the opportunity that will determine whether we are a mainstay or just a one and done event.

MLG is going to have to be as enthusiastic as we are to a degree. And by that I simply mean they will need to put forth the effort by at least establishing some online tournaments, qualifiers, etc. Gauge the interest that way, see where the community is at. Then if they feel it's worth the time to do a live tourney starting off very small, 64 teams maybe? If they find themselves with a massive waitlist open it up a bit to maybe 96? Next tournament start at 96, and once again if there's a waitlist, open it up to 128. I think it's going to be vital for them to start almost grassroots, go back to how they would of to a degree, ran tournaments back in 03-05. Give the community the chance to build itself, and find where the line is to start capping things.

MLG is going to have to be as enthusiastic as we are to a degree. And by that I simply mean they will need to put forth the effort by at least establishing some online tournaments, qualifiers, etc. Gauge the interest that way, see where the community is at. Then if they feel it's worth the time to do a live tourney starting off very small, 64 teams maybe? If they find themselves with a massive waitlist open it up a bit to maybe 96? Next tournament start at 96, and once again if there's a waitlist, open it up to 128. I think it's going to be vital for them to start almost grassroots, go back to how they would of to a degree, ran tournaments back in 03-05. Give the community the chance to build itself, and find where the line is to start capping things.

I am sure we will see online tournaments through various organizations as well as a bunch of content. I am not worried so much about the hype being there. I guess I am more concerned about the people actually putting their money where their mouth is. I feel like that has been a pretty big concern especially coming into the decline of H3. 

We can be as excited as we want to be, but when it comes down to it, when we get a tournament, people need to go.

We can sit here and retweet tweets and play online showing interest anytime, but what really will make the difference is the community actually going to the event. Who cares if you can't get first or place for money? The money spent for an event is worth it in experience and fun alone.

I know MLG will try to give us a shot. Other leagues will host online tournaments and maybe some smaller lan (if possible) tournaments as well, but we have to take these chances and make them want keep it going.

This game is the best opportunity we have had to actually do something and 343 is basically throwing us the way back in. I guess come end of the year we will see what everyone really does.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am sure we will see online tournaments through various organizations as well as a bunch of content. I am not worried so much about the hype being there. I guess I am more concerned about the people actually putting their money where their mouth is. I feel like that has been a pretty big concern especially coming into the decline of H3. 

We can be as excited as we want to be, but when it comes down to it, when we get a tournament, people need to go.

We can sit here and retweet tweets and play online showing interest anytime, but what really will make the difference is the community actually going to the event. Who cares if you can't get first or place for money? The money spent for an event is worth it in experience and fun alone.

I know MLG will try to give us a shot. Other leagues will host online tournaments and maybe some smaller lan (if possible) tournaments as well, but we have to take these chances and make them want keep it going.

This game is the best opportunity we have had to actually do something and 343 is basically throwing us the way back in. I guess come end of the year we will see what everyone really does.

Agreed. I think though MLG needs to get back to making events more affordable. However it'll put them in a position where they have to make a decision where to hold them. In the past, the midwest has always been the heartbeat (for the most part) of the Halo community. So events like Chicago, Columbus, New York, even Charlotte were perfect. It seems games like LoL and SC2 are better suited for west coast events. IF they do anything, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. Generally speaking it seems like for Halo west coast events always suffered.

Agreed. I think though MLG needs to get back to making events more affordable. However it'll put them in a position where they have to make a decision where to hold them. In the past, the midwest has always been the heartbeat (for the most part) of the Halo community. So events like Chicago, Columbus, New York, even Charlotte were perfect. It seems games like LoL and SC2 are better suited for west coast events. IF they do anything, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. Generally speaking it seems like for Halo west coast events always suffered.

You are spot on as far as location. As we saw in H3 you just couldn't realistically hold events on the west coast and expect a ton of teams. Look at San Diego/Anaheim. Also take into consideration Toronto. 

Now when we talk about Columbus, Meadowlands, Dallas, Chicago, and any area that is more affordable travel wise you have a lot more people showing up.

But again, MLG is going to try to do what they feel will keep them in the best position, so sometimes we have to pay for the experience. (I know I spent $700 on one Dallas trip which was my most expensive out of all my events) If you want to go bad enough you can find ways to do it. I did Meadows 09 on $180 bucks and I live 13 hours away.

People who want the experience and fun will find ways to do it. Just need more of the community willing to do it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hows it going buddy? haven't seen you around in quite some time.

Hey man, I'm doing pretty well. Really excited to get back into Halo. It's been too long.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey man, I'm doing pretty well. Really excited to get back into Halo. It's been too long.

What are we even gonna do with our PCs?

I'm hoping that if MLG does bring back events they keep it close to the Midwest. Because like you guys said a big chunk of the Halo 2 crowd was from around that area and always had the best turnouts. I really hope they do a Chicago if they do bring back events. I went in 2006 with my buddies and even though my friends weren't that good we all still had the time of our lives.

I'm hoping that if MLG does bring back events they keep it close to the Midwest. Because like you guys said a big chunk of the Halo 2 crowd was from around that area and always had the best turnouts. I really hope they do a Chicago if they do bring back events. I went in 2006 with my buddies and even though my friends weren't that good we all still had the time of our lives.

People need to realize that it isn't always about placing well. My best placing is Losers 6 in Open bracket, but I can honestly say that out of all the events I have went to, I do not regret spending any amount of money to go through those experiences. 

It was totally worth going to Meadows on no money and being broke and living off dollar menu for food. It was worth spending $700 to go to Dallas and coming back with $0. 

It is cool to be competitive, but the friendships and the actual time at the events are well worth it even if you walk out with nothing.

If people will go to events, halo will be successful again. Now that we definitely have a good game to continue playing on the XB1.

• Upvote (+1) 5

People need to realize that it isn't always about placing well. My best placing is Losers 6 in Open bracket, but I can honestly say that out of all the events I have went to, I do not regret spending any amount of money to go through those experiences. 

It was totally worth going to Meadows on no money and being broke and living off dollar menu for food. It was worth spending $700 to go to Dallas and coming back with $0. 

It is cool to be competitive, but the friendships and the actual time at the events are well worth it even if you walk out with nothing.

If people will go to events, halo will be successful again. Now that we definitely have a good game to continue playing on the XB1.

People also back then did that because they literally loved the game. With the latest installments of halos why would people pay to go to play a game they hate and make no money. I can forsee more people going to events because people love halo1, and 2 this game brings back great memories.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People also back then did that because they literally loved the game. With the latest installments of halos why would people pay to go to play a game they hate and make no money. I can forsee more people going to events because people love halo1, and 2 this game brings back great memories.

That is my point. I didn't attend a single h4 tournament, and barely played the game after pickup. I might have made SR-60? I am not sure. I went to one Reach event (Columbus) just because of how close it is to me.

With these games coming back it will rely on people loving the game (Which I am not worried about) and people actually committing to showing up.

I do think this opportunity does bring back competitive halo, but it will depend on the people to bring back the tournament scene.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why do you think all of sponsorships sponsored the tournaments? Because of how big they actually were and how much advertising they could get from it.

Would you rather have a LAN tournament or an online tournament? I think that's an easy answer.

They sponsored the tournaments because Sundance convinced them it was in there best interest to do so. They get so many more views nowadays.

What I am trying to say is we don't have the population right now to replace any current game on the circuit.

They sponsored the tournaments because Sundance convinced them it was in there best interest to do so. They get so many more views nowadays.

What I am trying to say is we don't have the population right now to replace any current game on the circuit.

They more or less seen how many people were getting into MLG and competitive gaming and took advantage of a growing company. They wouldn't of sponsored the events if it wasn't in their best interest.

They have more views these days because of how many years MLG has had to grow. It all started with Halo ce, Halo 2 and Super Smash Bros. If it wasn't for those games getting as big as they did MLG may have not of grown as big as they are today.

Team wise we might if people show up. The real question is the viewers, and that is going to depend on how big of an impact H2 + Streaming can make.

I agree though, as we sit currently, it will be hard to meet the numbers unless we get some good content out and people enjoy watching H2 like they did 7-10 years ago.

343i knows that LAN is a big part of Halo and how it became what it is. I really don't think they would pull our legs with saying something like this. Especially with how excited everyone is about The MMC. They have 5 months to finish the project and I'm sure it's been in the works for awhile now. 343i wants to keep building on the excitement leading up to the release and telling us everything now is not the way to do that. Let's all just have a little faith in them!

Then why aren't we getting the answer "there will be LAN" instead of "we're working on it"?

I'm sure they'll deliver it to us, but comments like that some what have me concerned. Just tell us "don't worry you'll be able to system link", quit beating around the bush.

Then why aren't we getting the answer "there will be LAN" instead of "we're working on it"?

I'm sure they'll deliver it to us, but comments like that some what have me concerned. Just tell us "don't worry you'll be able to system link", quit beating around the bush.

I don't think the issue is 343 not wanting to implement it. From the way I understood it System Link is an XB1 issue in general. So for them to say anything other than "we're working on it" wouldn't make much sense. I believe the inability to System Link has even affected COD (I believe the XB1 tournament was held over online at the venue). So, I think they are working with Microsoft to come up with a solution prior to the games release, which if that is the case, is a great thing for us and definitely shows that they know how important it is that they are working hard to get this done prior to release.

Again, this is just how I understand it from my readings and what I have heard. So I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure this is the case.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You are spot on as far as location. As we saw in H3 you just couldn't realistically hold events on the west coast and expect a ton of teams. Look at San Diego/Anaheim. Also take into consideration Toronto. 

Now when we talk about Columbus, Meadowlands, Dallas, Chicago, and any area that is more affordable travel wise you have a lot more people showing up.

But again, MLG is going to try to do what they feel will keep them in the best position, so sometimes we have to pay for the experience. (I know I spent $700 on one Dallas trip which was my most expensive out of all my events) If you want to go bad enough you can find ways to do it. I did Meadows 09 on $180 bucks and I live 13 hours away.

People who want the experience and fun will find ways to do it. Just need more of the community willing to do it.

I went to every MLG in '05 prob on about $800 per with ticket and hotel. But I am a lot more fortunate than most people. It will always be hard to get a lot of people to travel long distances unless they think they have a chance of competing for a top spot. Most casuals who want to experience it will just go to one or two close to them. It will always come down to how many teams get paid, sponsorships, entrance fee and all of those things.

It's because like I said. They don't want to give every little detail out. There's 5 months till the release and they want to keep building hype.

What are we even gonna do with our PCs?

I think in the next 1- 3 years it will be available on PC operating systems and most people will probably play halo on a tablet form device. Halo games will be made available through the cloud AKA

a subscription based, pay through the nose,  payment scheme.

-Micro$oft  

MLG will probably have it at every event. The only problem is MLG rarely has any events anymore. MLG loses money on events, so they try to do as much as possible online. Hopefully some other companies/tournament organizers will sprout up and supplement the few MLG tournaments we'll have.

I don't think the issue is 343 not wanting to implement it. From the way I understood it System Link is an XB1 issue in general. So for them to say anything other than "we're working on it" wouldn't make much sense. I believe the inability to System Link has even affected COD (I believe the XB1 tournament was held over online at the venue). So, I think they are working with Microsoft to come up with a solution prior to the games release, which if that is the case, is a great thing for us and definitely shows that they know how important it is that they are working hard to get this done prior to release.

Again, this is just how I understand it from my readings and what I have heard. So I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure this is the case.

That's reasonable. It's just(again) 343i had made PR stunts like that before.

It's because like I said. They don't want to give every little detail out. There's 5 months till the release and they want to keep building hype.

I like Commons reasoning better. That'd be very weak if that's how 343i was gonna try to hype us up.

That's reasonable. It's just(again) 343i had made PR stunts like that before.

I like Commons reasoning better. That'd be very weak if that's how 343i was gonna try to hype us up.

I agree. I am sure we will hear more about the issue (or hopefully solution) come Gamescom in August. Hopefully it is something that is able to be fixed, but I expect info on that and ranks to come at the same time.

I think competitive Halo will come back but not to the extent it used to be, only Halo 5 can do that.

Of course I have been wrong before but either way......

artworks-000076151401-0dad66-original.jp

:weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:  :weback: