Sign in to follow this  
minusminun

Can the Master Chief Collection bring back Competitive Halo?

For the time period Halo 2 and MLG tournaments were pretty big. Maybe not on the same level as those other games but I remember in 2006 they had a 100,000 1st place prize at the National Championship. Which again for it's time period was a good chunk of money to win for 1st place. I think if they have any shot of making a comeback it is with Halo MCC, primarily the halo 2 side of it. Like I stated before I don't have high hopes for any new halo because of being let down so many times. But I hope they prove me wrong with Halo 5.

You realize that money was coming from sponsorships that Sundance was able to make deals with. Halo never made MLG any money either. They were always in the red until introducing SC2.

Agreed. I don't spectator mode is as big of a deal breaker as a lot of people make it out to be. I was happy with how it was for MLG Halo 2. Main stage was all 8 POV and VOD they followed a certain player through out the game and switched every game. 5 months is enough time to try to implement that as well though. Especially with a few old Halo 2 pros working on this project. They know what we want to see in a game.

That's easily 800 dollars per event with equipment and labor costs compared to games that take less than 100 dollars to run. Live tournaments are not where we should focus time and energy.

Has anyone mentioned these tweets? 

https://twitter.com/MLGSundance/status/476429298899767296

If these actually lead to something, and a LAN event happens, I think it will sell out. Mostly because of hype. A lot of old pros might come back, place top24 and then remember what the gaming lifestyle was like and then just play casually afterwords.

There is no way things are going to magically go back to the "good ol' days", but it is definitely going to get the people that have left's attention back.

I personally think with this new start, the community should restart as well. Like a total attitude overhaul. 

-Try to duplicate the YT content like the CoD pros have.

-Be nicer to each other (lol)

-Help out new players

61429.76 without tax is all he is asking for.

Why was this negged so hard? I mean I get that everybody is excited, but considering the fact that everybody was excited the last two Halo games (which disappointed), I don't understand people being mad at his skepticism. So far, there has been no spectator news at all, so that concern is completely valid. They talked about system link being in the plans, but if it isn't there we really are fucked so that concern is also valid. 

I get you guys want to be happy. I am fucking estatic. However, I don't understand bashing someone who is nervous when the past 2 titles have taught us that blind optimism leads to massive disappointment. I get that this is different from new games, but I definitely understand his concern. 

I must have a lot of haters for some reason considering the 2nd post pretty much quote pyramids me and it's +4 l0l.

but yeah. halo 4 had me all excited then I got halo4. Didn't browse forums during halo reach but I wasn't really excited since I played the beta with my friends and we all agreed bloom + no ranks was going to make it a terrible game.

Now I'm pumped over halo1 online, I just don't think that the xbone will be competitive. Xbone for online, og's for lans/competitions since apparently this game will ship even without lan support. But the thing is, we've had og's since 2001...

And even tho h2a is the focus here, only campaign is being touched? Why aren't they pouring time into theater, forge, spectator mode instead of campaign? They already have at least a base for them

• Upvote (+1) 1

I must have a lot of haters for some reason considering the 2nd post pretty much quote pyramids me and it's +4 l0l.

but yeah. halo 4 had me all excited then I got halo4. Didn't browse forums during halo reach but I wasn't really excited since I played the beta with my friends and we all agreed bloom + no ranks was going to make it a terrible game.

Now I'm pumped over halo1 online, I just don't think that the xbone will be competitive. Xbone for online, og's for lans/competitions since apparently this game will ship even without lan support. But the thing is, we've had og's since 2001...

And even tho h2a is the focus here, only campaign is being touched? Why aren't they pouring time into theater, forge, spectator mode instead of campaign? They already have at least a base for them

You got neg rep because you are making definitive statements with no proof. I will be absolutely floored if the MCC ships without LAN support (i.e. Split screen). I understand being skeptical but throwing around bogus definitive claims about what the game won't have is annoying and you come off as bitter and arrogant. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You realize that money was coming from sponsorships that Sundance was able to make deals with. Halo never made MLG any money either. They were always in the red until introducing SC2.

That's easily 800 dollars per event with equipment and labor costs compared to games that take less than 100 dollars to run. Live tournaments are not where we should focus time and energy.

Why do you think all of sponsorships sponsored the tournaments? Because of how big they actually were and how much advertising they could get from it.

Would you rather have a LAN tournament or an online tournament? I think that's an easy answer.

Well good thing it is. The engine for each game is going to be left untouched. Also, there won't have to be an "MLG" playlists in CE & 2 since the difference between competetive Halo and casual Halo was very little. All the playlists had the same core settings. It wasn't until Halo 3 where the gap between competetive and social Halo started getting large enough to where it became a problem in introducing casual players into the competetive

This is a very very very very inaccurate statement. Radar being on or off is huge. Smg start for h2? Plasma pistol start for h1? Come on man there is a huge difference between casuals and competitive.

Since it has H2s Multiplayer I believe it certainly can compete with a declining COD.

How is CoD declining?

They are messing with more then just the campaign. 343i already said you will be able to use forge with H2. Probably only for the maps that are being remade but it's something at least. And I'm sure they will have more info and other things coming out in the 5 month span before it's released. They aren't going to just give all the info away and have us wait for 5 months.

This is a very very very very inaccurate statement. Radar being on or off is huge. Smg start for h2? Plasma pistol start for h1? Come on man there is a huge difference between casuals and competitive.

That's what custom games are for! And I'm sure down the road playlists can be updated or added to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's what custom games are for! And I'm sure down the road playlists can be updated or added to.

But a competitive playlist makes for more competitive play. Sometimes it's hard to make customs. Just on my wish list :)

You got neg rep because you are making definitive statements with no proof. I will be absolutely floored if the MCC ships without LAN support (i.e. Split screen). I understand being skeptical but throwing around bogus definitive claims about what the game won't have is annoying and you come off as bitter and arrogant. 

THEY SAID IT IN THE DAMN q&a. go see that thread if you want proof. it's literally common knowledge and was brought up in last night's bomb planted.

There is a release date

There is currently not a lan system

They said its hard to do.

Usually everything hard to do so far hasn't happened in 343's life span so sorry if I'm not optimistic. They also didn't say "We won't release this game until lan is fully functional!"

• Downvote (-1) 6

They are messing with more then just the campaign. 343i already said you will be able to use forge with H2. Probably only for the maps that are being remade but it's something at least. And I'm sure they will have more info and other things coming out in the 5 month span before it's released. They aren't going to just give all the info away and have us wait for 5 months.

according to others, they said they mispoke about h2 having forge. they meant h2a.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Maybe tournaments can be self funded just like the DOTA 2 international and like many CS:GO tournys. 

the collection can bring it back, but Halo 5 being good is what will ensure it stays back.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why was this negged so hard?

Because he said RIP Halo, which is downright silly considering.

The answer to the question "Will MCC bring back competitive Halo" is really a matter of expectations.

If you are asking will Halo be the premier competitive video game in the world and have giant national tournaments, that's unlikely.

But will there be a good sized competitive population ready and willing play Halo 1 and 2 every single day.  I can guarantee it.  And with that comes tournies.  Likely both online and LAN(as long as we get LAN).

I would like to see Halo go more grassroots akin to fighting games.  Playing for love of the game.  MLG and 343 will always push the newest Halo game because that's where the biggest population growth and $ is so MCC will have a very limited life cycle if pushed by bigger companies.  But as a grassroots movement with the convenince MCC offers we can have LANs and tournies all over the country throughout the life of the Xbone and beyond it.

Ideally I'd like to be able to play online whenever so everyone can practice, keep it fresh in our minds, etc.  Throw like 4-6 big LANs a year at my place and probably host a few tournies too.  Then have 5-10 tournies/LANs a year within 4ish driving hours to attend and compete.  I think this is a reasonable expectation.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Yeah I'm not sure what's wrong with me. Must be the new site.

Hows it going buddy? haven't seen you around in quite some time.

guis. Is it confirmed there will be no system link? Or is it unknown? 

Frankie said, "Splitscreen is supported. System link is in the plan and we'll have more to say about that later. System link is tricky even at the best of times. But the plan currently is to make everything work the way you'd expect."  I think they'll nail it down and get it working. As I've stated before if the screw ups over at IW can get it working ala a patch in COD: Ghosts; the subsidiary of Microsoft (343i) should have all resources on deck to have this available at launch.

Why was this negged so hard? I mean I get that everybody is excited, but considering the fact that everybody was excited the last two Halo games (which disappointed), I don't understand people being mad at his skepticism. So far, there has been no spectator news at all, so that concern is completely valid. They talked about system link being in the plans, but if it isn't there we really are fucked so that concern is also valid.

I get you guys want to be happy. I am fucking estatic. However, I don't understand bashing someone who is nervous when the past 2 titles have taught us that blind optimism leads to massive disappointment. I get that this is different from new games, but I definitely understand his concern.

Everyone's got their beer goggles on. They're all drunk off the hype.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Frankie said, "Splitscreen is supported. System link is in the plan and we'll have more to say about that later. System link is tricky even at the best of times. But the plan currently is to make everything work the way you'd expect." I think they'll nail it down and get it working. As I've stated before if the screw ups over at IW can get it working ala a patch in COD: Ghosts; the subsidiary of Microsoft (343i) should have all resources on deck to have this available at launch.

See, this is why I'm not getting overly excited. There's still many questions left that need to be answered. 343i said ALOT of things when H4 was coming out and most of what they said was in the end turned out be lies. They still haven't give us a classic flag mode in H4 like they said they would if we didn't like it... Well we didn't like it and we still don't have a classic flag.

We get so easily excited and quickly forget what has happened in the past.

See, this is why I'm not getting overly excited. There's still many questions left that need to be answered. 343i said ALOT of things when H4 was coming out and most of what they said was bull shit and we always got the same answer "too much bandwidth".

We get so easily excited and quickly forget what has happened in the past.

I do get what you're saying, cautionary optimism is best in this case. And I may be putting a little too much faith in 343i making that assumption. I guess it's all predicated like I said the people at IW getting it working. I simply can't imagine 343i not being able to do the same. However, you are absolutely right that they have failed to deliver before. We have 151 days until release, it's really not a whole lot so they'll have to start rolling out a lot more information pretty damn soon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

IF MCC gets Halo community to buy Xbones and test H5 beta and give constructive feedback

IF H5 is good out of the box and ships with spectator mode and proper dev support

THEN

halo can be back on MLG and maybe even huge tournaments like dreamhack

343i knows that LAN is a big part of Halo and how it became what it is. I really don't think they would pull our legs with saying something like this. Especially with how excited everyone is about The MMC. They have 5 months to finish the project and I'm sure it's been in the works for awhile now. 343i wants to keep building on the excitement leading up to the release and telling us everything now is not the way to do that. Let's all just have a little faith in them!

IF MCC gets Halo community to buy Xbones and test H5 beta and give constructive feedback

I personally know all my old Halo 2 buddies who don't have xboxone already have said they are going out and buying one just for MMC. They hype is real!