Sign in to follow this  
minusminun

Can the Master Chief Collection bring back Competitive Halo?

can't system link. no spectator.

rip halo

Why was this negged so hard? I mean I get that everybody is excited, but considering the fact that everybody was excited the last two Halo games (which disappointed), I don't understand people being mad at his skepticism. So far, there has been no spectator news at all, so that concern is completely valid. They talked about system link being in the plans, but if it isn't there we really are fucked so that concern is also valid. 

I get you guys want to be happy. I am fucking estatic. However, I don't understand bashing someone who is nervous when the past 2 titles have taught us that blind optimism leads to massive disappointment. I get that this is different from new games, but I definitely understand his concern. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

Why was this negged so hard? I mean I get that everybody is excited, but considering the fact that everybody was excited the last two Halo games (which disappointed), I don't understand people being mad at his skepticism. So far, there has been no spectator news at all, so that concern is completely valid. They talked about system link being in the plans, but if it isn't there we really are fucked so that concern is also valid. 

I get you guys want to be happy. I am fucking estatic. However, I don't understand bashing someone who is nervous when the past 2 titles have taught us that blind optimism leads to massive disappointment. I get that this is different from new games, but I definitely understand his concern. 

I'm ecstatic and excited as well and I do understand some skepticism. I think Spectator mode makes things certainly easier for broadcasting tournaments and I hope it'll exist come the final game but I don't think it's a dagger in the heart. In regards to the system link COD: Ghosts by IW (which is regarded as one of the crappiest COD's to date, and IW has seriously begun to tank) got it to work, ala post-patch. I have a lot of confidence that 343i a subsidiary of the company that invented the damn system can get it to work by launch time. 

sup nerd

on topic, probably not like it used to be. The masses have moved on to other games. We can get some great games and great matches but we should probably expect to be something like the FGC, PC Shooters like quake or the smash community. Be close and tight-knit, cool with one another for the most part and enjoy the games we love. Try to put on awesome small events with decent money but don't expect to be on TV again. It's probably not gonna happen. Just play the game you enjoy; we all have that option now.

Comp halo players being nice and not ass holes? Doubt it

Enjoying the games we love, yeah

I myself am gonna wait a week or so after the game releases just to make sure the netcode is good or any glaring flaws aren't in. I've been screwed over by 3 halo games now, don't want it to happen again

sup nerd

on topic, probably not like it used to be. The masses have moved on to other games. We can get some great games and great matches but we should probably expect to be something like the FGC, PC Shooters like quake or the smash community. Be close and tight-knit, cool with one another for the most part and enjoy the games we love. Try to put on awesome small events with decent money but don't expect to be on TV again. It's probably not gonna happen. Just play the game you enjoy; we all have that option now.

With how fractured the Halo community is, and how unwilling anyone is to go back to grassroots, I don't see much happening with the MCC in terms of competitive play.

627d9fee-2a2f-4eeb-9f93-f9ea323b61f9.jpg

Blind optimism is going to help nobody.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be fair, NO ONE should expect spectator mode in MCC, at all, if you do...you are a(delusional) blind ,optimistic and  naive person.

For me, Im just happy that Im getting Halo CE and H2 to be played on Xbone with much people :)

• Upvote (+1) 4

With how fractured the Halo community is, and how unwilling anyone is to go back to grassroots, I don't see much happening with the MCC in terms of competitive play.

Yep. Everyone is acting like we are guaranteed large tournaments with big payouts, which will lead to thousands of viewers. That will only happen if we have a spectator mode, or 343/Microsoft is willing to pay for tournaments, along with a healthy viewer count (which will have to be much higher than we had in the past, if Halo wants to be a part of big gaming leagues). Spectator mode almost certainly isn't going to happen, and having developer sponsored tournaments isn't the most reliable way to host tournaments because they will always push the newest game, regardless of quality. 

If there are going to be tournaments for MCC, you HAVE to look at what the FGC does with its games, and focus on small tournaments to build up interest. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yep. Everyone is acting like we are guaranteed large tournaments with big payouts, which will lead to thousands of viewers. That will only happen if we have a spectator mode, or 343/Microsoft is willing to pay for tournaments, along with a healthy viewer count (which will have to be much higher than we had in the past, if Halo wants to be a part of big gaming leagues). Spectator mode almost certainly isn't going to happen, and having developer sponsored tournaments isn't the most reliable way to host tournaments because they will always push the newest game, regardless of quality. 

If there are going to be tournaments for MCC, you HAVE to look at what the FGC does with its games, and focus on small tournaments to build up interest. 

And the excitement and interest is great. But you're right we won't be given and we shouldn't be given tournaments with good payouts right off the back. We need to show, prove, and earn those tournaments. IF MLG decides to do anything, they need to start small 64 teams max maybe, and if they sell out a few times, maybe increase to 96, then 128, so on and so forth. However, I think the best gauge is if they at least support us online with Gamebattle tournaments to start, and evaluate from there. I hope we get competitive tournaments back, but otherwise I'll just have a ton of fun gaming H2 all day.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well there is 5 months left, they have to have news. We already know h1-h4 so what new news can they actually provide? Since spectator mode is such a huge feature i think it is something they can't just say. The need it forsomething big maybe for a VidDoc or another Event. I think Amazing news is still yet to come.

The best news is usually a few weeks before release.

um why is everyone getting all hyped for lan tourneys. with the xbone allowing you to stream, and the MCC having dedicated servers I see online tourneys being how we initially generate hype. as bad as that sounds its probably the most cost effective way for our community to initially run tourneys.

I too am wondering about spectator mode(i mean come on, we have been banging our heads against the wall on this issue for how many months and they still dont include it in MCC?  :trash: )  

um why is everyone getting all hyped for lan tourneys. with the xbone allowing you to stream, and the MCC having dedicated servers I see online tourneys being how we initially generate hype. as bad as that sounds its probably the most cost effective way for our community to initially run tourneys.

I too am wondering about spectator mode(i mean come on, we have been banging our heads against the wall on this issue for how many months and they still dont include it in MCC?  :trash: )  

Sure, we can run online tournaments, but not having system link denies us the ability to actually run LANs.

343i will implement system link, there's no way they won't. Especially after speaking about working on it.

I think a lot of people on here are underestimating how good of a game Halo 2 was an how many followers it had.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343i will implement system link, there's no way they won't. Especially after speaking about working on it.

I think a lot of people on here are underestimating how good of a game Halo 2 was an how many followers it had.

I think people are overestimating how many followers Halo had. The big competitive games (LoL, Dota, SC, CoD, CS) are all much larger than Halo ever was, adn I can't see a remake competing with them. It would be nice to see Halo flourish in tournaments again, but I can't see it happening with MCC.

If gaming circuits can find an effective way to broadcast points of view, then yes. Whether it is Twitch, spectator mode, or the old MLG way, if they can figure it out then there is a good shot.

People will play, spectators will love the freshness and inevitable diversity of the events, and supporting of the Halo esports scene will lend a positive influence on Halo 5.

The sky is the limit for this collection.

If gaming circuits can find an effective way to broadcast points of view, then yes. Whether it is Twitch, spectator mode, or the old MLG way, if they can figure it out then there is a good shot.

People will play, spectators will love the freshness and inevitable diversity of the events, and supporting of the Halo esports scene will lend a positive influence on Halo 5.

The sky is the limit for this collection.

You're optimistic for once?

What the hell?

^This

I actually can't imagine a multiplayer game being released without a system link in this day and age. They will figure it out.

Also Spectator mode is defiantly not essential for this game to take off competitively and have similar, if not better, success than halo 2+3. If borderlands 2 had a spectator mode it wouldn't change the fact that the game sucks for competitive play. Were as a halo 2 multiplayer remake without spec mode will have people hooked from the get go (newbies, casuals and hardcore fans) because of the competitive merit, ranks and because the whole "easy to learn hard to master" aspect is there. 

All it takes is a good, balanced game for noobs to get addicted and then become either casual, competitive players or hardcore, competitive players which will make stream numbers and team/spectator pass sales rise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

First, the game has to be a perfect remake. When dealing with that game and this community, any minor fuck up will mean a world of backlash. Second, the game has to have a good matchmaking system for the competitive side. It basically needs the MLG playlist at launch, or bust. We all know how well no sprint customs worked to save the Halo 4 scene...

Well good thing it is. The engine for each game is going to be left untouched. Also, there won't have to be an "MLG" playlists in CE & 2 since the difference between competetive Halo and casual Halo was very little. All the playlists had the same core settings. It wasn't until Halo 3 where the gap between competetive and social Halo started getting large enough to where it became a problem in introducing casual players into the competetive scene.

Ever plug a PS2 into a high def TV? It's not fucking pretty.

Well I wonder why? Maybe it's because they weren't optimized for HD. What an unfair comparison.

everything is just getting a graphical overhaul to make 1080p/60FPS look natural.

And when your reveal mentions only 60 FPS on dedicated server .

Are you implying that 1080p @ 60fps on dedicated servers isn't fucking huge?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think people are overestimating how many followers Halo had. The big competitive games (LoL, Dota, SC, CoD, CS) are all much larger than Halo ever was, adn I can't see a remake competing with them. It would be nice to see Halo flourish in tournaments again, but I can't see it happening with MCC.

For the time period Halo 2 and MLG tournaments were pretty big. Maybe not on the same level as those other games but I remember in 2006 they had a 100,000 1st place prize at the National Championship. Which again for it's time period was a good chunk of money to win for 1st place. I think if they have any shot of making a comeback it is with Halo MCC, primarily the halo 2 side of it. Like I stated before I don't have high hopes for any new halo because of being let down so many times. But I hope they prove me wrong with Halo 5.

^This

I actually can't imagine a multiplayer game being released without a system link in this day and age. They will figure it out.

Also Spectator mode is defiantly not essential for this game to take off competitively and have similar, if not better, success than halo 2+3. If borderlands 2 had a spectator mode it wouldn't change the fact that the game sucks for competitive play. Were as a halo 2 multiplayer remake without spec mode will have people hooked from the get go (newbies, casuals and hardcore fans) because of the competitive merit, ranks and the whole "easy to learn hard to master" aspect is there.

All it takes is a good, balanced game for noobs to get addicted and then become either casual, competitive players or hardcore, competitive players which will make stream numbers and team/spectator pass sales rise.

Agreed. I don't spectator mode is as big of a deal breaker as a lot of people make it out to be. I was happy with how it was for MLG Halo 2. Main stage was all 8 POV and VOD they followed a certain player through out the game and switched every game. 5 months is enough time to try to implement that as well though. Especially with a few old Halo 2 pros working on this project. They know what we want to see in a game.

The real question is can [we] bring competitive Halo back

Halo 2 was competitive halo. And 343i said they are leaving the engines untouched so I don't see why not. Can't wait to bxr, bxb and double shot again!

Comp halo players being nice and not ass holes? Doubt it

Enjoying the games we love, yeah

I myself am gonna wait a week or so after the game releases just to make sure the netcode is good or any glaring flaws aren't in. I've been screwed over by 3 halo games now, don't want it to happen again

Yea, I'm gonna wait until after launch to see how the netcode is too. I'm not shelling out big bucks to play Halo CE with an XBC connection. If it plays any thing like xbc online, it doesn't warrant a purchase for me unfortunately. 

I just hope 343 takes the Riot approach to Halo, because unlike other games we are easily monopolied by MLG and MLG/Call of Duty has had some interesting clashes that I don't really wish to see happen with us. We are literally the main community of Halo at the moment, most active for the competitive scene so we have to make sure our voice is heard in that aspect. 

Also are we only going to use Halo 2 or will other people be able to play Halo 3 and 4 at the event. We should do our best to be inclusive of all Halo players. Just my .02

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has anyone mentioned these tweets? 

https://twitter.com/MLGSundance/status/476429298899767296

If these actually lead to something, and a LAN event happens, I think it will sell out. Mostly because of hype. A lot of old pros might come back, place top24 and then remember what the gaming lifestyle was like and then just play casually afterwords.

There is no way things are going to magically go back to the "good ol' days", but it is definitely going to get the people that have left's attention back.

I personally think with this new start, the community should restart as well. Like a total attitude overhaul. 

-Try to duplicate the YT content like the CoD pros have.

-Be nicer to each other (lol)

-Help out new players