Sign in to follow this  
minusminun

Can the Master Chief Collection bring back Competitive Halo?

I haven't posted in months. It's honestly been since October that a Halo game even when into my Xbox. I had no intention of buying an Xbone because I was (and honestly, still am) certain that competitive is Halo is dead. But, here I am.

Can this collection (namely the Halo 2 HD remake) save competitive Halo...? Absolutely not. And I say this for two reasons...

The first is that multiplayer in this single disc collection seems to be just a cluster fuck of Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4 gametypes, settings, maps, and - most importantly - mechanics. That means that searching to play some Team Slayer could result in some awesome Halo 2 Lockout shenanigans orrrrrr.... could result in some insta-quitting, Halo 4 on Solace nonsense. But that's just how I read the article on Kotaku so I could totally be wrong about that assumption... but unless there's at least a dedicated "This Playlist is Only Halo 2" playlist... not even worth the risk. Stick to customs, folks.

Edit: Read in the other thread from a tweet that you can choose which game, not the clusterfuck. So there's that, at least. Color me satisfied.

Second, no one is going to want to play an older game... and when I say no one, I mean no venue. MLG, and especially not 343, will want to host tournaments and events for Halo 2 HD above GameBattles or "Here, go play matchmaking for a few weeks and see who wins the most", respectively. When Halo 5 launches, developer support will be 100% behind that and that's where this community, whatever is left of it, would have to go.

Best case scenario hinges on 343 Industries doing 2 things - failure to do either means that Halo 5 had best be the greatest thing since sliced bread. First, the game has to be a perfect remake. When dealing with that game and this community, any minor fuck up will mean a world of backlash. Second, the game has to have a good matchmaking system for the competitive side. It basically needs the MLG playlist at launch, or bust. We all know how well no sprint customs worked to save the Halo 4 scene...

At the end of the day, I'm sure most of us will enjoy watching old pros stream old games because that's what's good, what will always be good. The only thing that can save competitive Halo is Guardians not sucking. And when your reveal mentions only 60 FPS on dedicated server and *cringe* new Spartan abilities...

My faith is at an all time low.

I'll sit and wait for all you kind folk to buy it first and let me know if it's even worth my time.

hasnt posted in months, comes in to post this. el oh el

If anything would; it would be this, and if H5 is good then MCC will be a good way to get the community back to 100% by the time it is released. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

After the clusterfuck that was Reach and H4 I can't believe people are still hopeful for H5. H5 will be garbage, but I think H2 will thrive and bring back the scene. I think H1 will be popular on XBL but not enough to warrant live events. Sad but IMO what is going to happen. I can settle for H2 though. It's gonna be awesome no matter what. Even w/ no live events, XBL will be competitive especially with dedicated hosts and no horseshit that H2 had to deal with on XBL (standby, modding, etc).

I haven't posted in months. It's honestly been since October that a Halo game even when into my Xbox. I had no intention of buying an Xbone because I was (and honestly, still am) certain that competitive is Halo is dead. But, here I am.

Can this collection (namely the Halo 2 HD remake) save competitive Halo...? Absolutely not. And I say this for two reasons...

The first is that multiplayer in this single disc collection seems to be just a cluster fuck of Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4 gametypes, settings, maps, and - most importantly - mechanics. That means that searching to play some Team Slayer could result in some awesome Halo 2 Lockout shenanigans orrrrrr.... could result in some insta-quitting, Halo 4 on Solace nonsense. But that's just how I read the article on Kotaku so I could totally be wrong about that assumption... but unless there's at least a dedicated "This Playlist is Only Halo 2" playlist... not even worth the risk. Stick to customs, folks.

Edit: Read in the other thread from a tweet that you can choose which game, not the clusterfuck. So there's that, at least. Color me satisfied.

Second, no one is going to want to play an older game... and when I say no one, I mean no venue. MLG, and especially not 343, will want to host tournaments and events for Halo 2 HD above GameBattles or "Here, go play matchmaking for a few weeks and see who wins the most", respectively. When Halo 5 launches, developer support will be 100% behind that and that's where this community, whatever is left of it, would have to go.

Best case scenario hinges on 343 Industries doing 2 things - failure to do either means that Halo 5 had best be the greatest thing since sliced bread. First, the game has to be a perfect remake. When dealing with that game and this community, any minor fuck up will mean a world of backlash. Second, the game has to have a good matchmaking system for the competitive side. It basically needs the MLG playlist at launch, or bust. We all know how well no sprint customs worked to save the Halo 4 scene...

At the end of the day, I'm sure most of us will enjoy watching old pros stream old games because that's what's good, what will always be good. The only thing that can save competitive Halo is Guardians not sucking. And when your reveal mentions only 60 FPS on dedicated server and *cringe* new Spartan abilities...

My faith is at an all time low.

I'll sit and wait for all you kind folk to buy it first and let me know if it's even worth my time.

picgifs-downvotes-3174.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6

The question is, is there a sustainable competitive population?  My answer, I am having a Halo 1 LAN this weekend and ya know what, Halo 1 LANs are kind of a pain in the ass.  But I do it because the game is that good.  I think gameplay and experience will make this game sustainable because the only thing that truly matters is are people playing it.  I KNOW that the old schoolers will be coming out of the woodworks and the newbies will check it out cause of the buzz and get hooked.  Halo 1 and 2 will grow in popularity.  And because people are playing the game, trying to be the best, there will be tournaments, that is the natural order of things.  We tried to force these things into some of the more recent Halo games but it's just the natural result.  Plus it's a dream come true for LANs, we can now have a H1 2v2 tourney and an H2 4v4 without ever changing discs.

Get ready for some competitive Halo people, cause the competition is out there and ready to come back.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Truthfully, I'm never going to attend a tournament. I'm 34 years old, married, working 50-60+ hours a week, barely have time to play any games on weekdays, so most of my gaming is on weekends. I just want a smooth online competitive experience, and since we're getting 1080p 60fps Halo CE through 4....hot damn that's gonna be amazing. Reliving the hours and hours I spent on Halo CE and Halo 2 is going to be so much fun! Hell, I bet some of my college buddies will start getting online more often to play games when this collection comes out.

I have a feeling a lot of people have been in hibernation when it comes to online gaming because after Halo 2, a lot of the Halo population quit, even with the success of Halo 3 at MLG for its time, many people did not like Halo 3, and haven't looked back.

This will definitely bring back people, whether MLG find success with it or not is another question, but I think the online competitive scene will indeed be popular.

What I would be more interested in is seeing what the online population will be for Halo CE and Halo 2 compared to the other two Halo's. If it shows that many people are enjoying Halo CE and Halo 2, it could prove to the developers/publishers that people just want a great console shooter without all the perks/killstreaks/sprint/etc frills that are not necessarily needed for a successful and fun game.

There's somewhat of a shift in the gaming industry right now which is interesting. Rainbow Six Siege's mutliplayer demo showed that Ubi is going back to old-school Rainbow. Now it might not be 100% original Rainbow, but by god, what I saw Monday was light years better than these recent Vegas games. What's funny is I started watching Siege in the middle of the demo and thought it was a new counter-strike game, damn it looked great.

Then you have the new Wolfenstein game also playing tribute to old-school shooters.

I think in the next few years, we're going to see a shift in shooter design, it may not happen fast, but I think it's already happening.

The competitive scene will just naturally evolve with it.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Plus it's a dream come true for LANs, we can now have a H1 2v2 tourney and an H2 4v4 without ever changing discs.

What I was thinking as well. I think it would be great. Finally bringing back 2v2 into Halo tournies without fully committing to H1 since H2 will obviously be more popular.

What I was thinking as well. I think it would be great. Finally bringing back 2v2 into Halo tournies without fully committing to H1 since H2 will obviously be more popular.

Wow, Vader, I remember your awesome posts back in the early MLG forum days...damn it's crazy seeing old posters!

Since it has H2s Multiplayer I believe it certainly can compete with a declining COD.

Can it? Yes.

Will it? Of course.

Wow, Vader, I remember your awesome posts back in the early MLG forum days...damn it's crazy seeing old posters!

Feels good man. Haven't touched a console in like 8 years but let's do this

• Upvote (+1) 1

For as long as there are competitive CE 2's being played on dedicated servers, I will be happily playing. Well into adulthood. I think of H1 like poker or chess - more of a lifelong pursuit that you can always get better at. Not just some video game. If there are enough people that feel the same way, then maybe there will be an audience for tournament-level play because people will be so filthy good. But if there isn't, I really won't care that much. Having infrastructure for decent online play is all I ever wanted, and it took 13 damn years but it's finally here.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Competitive Halo as we once knew it is gone. Halo cannot compete with games on multiple consoles and across the globe. Dota, LoL,and Starcraft 2 are played around the world. Halo was primarily played in America and Europe.

Is there a place for competitive Halo? Yes but its grass roots and community driven. It's not live LAN tournaments, but over xbox live where the tournaments will be primarily held. Sure there could be a grand finals tournament at the end of the season held by MLG.

Having tournaments primarily online isn't a bad thing however. With how the servers are going to be set up we can have regionals and even state teams.

There are problems though. Most teams wouldn't be able to stream. So how could we all tune in and watch? What about how many personalities games like CoD have? Those people are half the reason CoD grew. So how do we grow our own scene again? Maybe a youtube pact? I don't know but I do know competitive Halo will not be on the MLG main stage any time soon.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Feels good man. Haven't touched a console in like 8 years but let's do this

sup nerd

on topic, probably not like it used to be. The masses have moved on to other games. We can get some great games and great matches but we should probably expect to be something like the FGC, PC Shooters like quake or the smash community. Be close and tight-knit, cool with one another for the most part and enjoy the games we love. Try to put on awesome small events with decent money but don't expect to be on TV again. It's probably not gonna happen. Just play the game you enjoy; we all have that option now.

• Upvote (+1) 4

sup nerd

on topic, probably not like it used to be. The masses have moved on to other games. We can get some great games and great matches but we should probably expect to be something like the FGC, PC Shooters like quake or the smash community. Be close and tight-knit, cool with one another for the most part and enjoy the games we love. Try to put on awesome small events with decent money but don't expect to be on TV again. It's probably not gonna happen. Just play the game you enjoy; we all have that option now.

Agrred. We should all check out faceit.tv theyre the quakelive casting community that runs tourneys at a grassroots level. Id be proud to be in the level of smash or even evo for fighters.

Agrred. We should all check out faceit.tv theyre the quakelive casting community that runs tourneys at a grassroots level. Id be proud to be in the level of smash or even evo for fighters.

Dude its you! Where have you been! Nick7397 from old MLG forums. 

If 343 and Microsoft support it, it will definitely happen. Look at what riot has done league and other games that are supported by their creators. I really doubt that any old halos will be picked up but I guarantee they are going to monitor which one is having the most support from players and use that into halo 5.

Seems like they are using a lot of input from older halo players which I think most of them will be guiding them in the right direction. From what I can tell, they are making halo 5 to be a competitive shooter, not appeal to the mass casuals like the last few. Major steps in the right direction.

sup nerd

We will have to see how old people got and if they are willing to drop 500$ on an Xbox. The more I think about it the more I don't think Halo can just ride the nostalgia wave all the way but hey... we'll see. I know a guy that is broke as fuck and he's saving all his money to buy an Xbox in November, so you never know.

OG Halo 2 player here. I attended MLG Chicago 2006 and will be coming back to gaming because of Halo: MCC. I can't wait to play Halo 2 again! Me and Ray (Cyren) became good friends through Halo 2 and were on multiple teams together.

I don't see why so many people are saying that competitive Halo wouldn't be able to survive? It had such a big following and it was one of the most competitive Halo games ever made. I know of multiple Halo 2 buddies who I met or went to school with that will be making a comeback to play as well. If MLG was smart they will bring back some Halo 2 tournaments.

I think that the Halo 2 anniversary will bring people back into the game, and then when Halo 5 comes out hopefully will get all the necessary competitive features back. That way the community will already be there and will have the game.  Although it would be cool to see Halo 2 tournaments again. 

Halo 2 could come back if it has the righr support around it. Either a Microsoft/343 tournament or MLG picking it back up would bring alot of people back in.

Dude its you! Where have you been! Nick7397 from old MLG forums. 

I've been observing mostly. Cheers!

I think MLG would bring it back. Halo 2 was the game that really got MLG booming for them and had a huge following. I know a lot of pro's say that Halo 2 was the best game played out of all the Halo's on the circuit. When it comes out a lot of old players like myself will make a comeback. And the newer generation of halo players who have heard all the H2 stories will get to play and see why it's such a great game. I really think that I will still be playing Halo MCC even after H5 comes out. But I hope 343i takes there time and proves me wrong.

I like how everyone neg reps people who honestly say the truth.  Wait until we actually see what happens before proclaiming the "rebirth" of competitive Halo.  I hate when people build hype that generally leads to disappointment in the end.  Everyone hyped up Reach and 4 and looked what we got.  People stop repeating the same mistakes, remain vigilant and only celebrate if we get what we want in full.  Never settle for less...  Only accept games that fulfill their promises completely.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like how everyone neg reps people who honestly say the truth. Wait until we actually see what happens before proclaiming the "rebirth" of competitive Halo. I hate when people build hype that generally leads to disappointment in the end. Everyone hyped up Reach and 4 and looked what we got. People stop repeating the same mistakes, remain vigilant and only celebrate if we get what we want in full. Never settle for less... Only accept games that fulfill their promises completely.

Are you directing this toward Halo MCC or Halo 5?