Sign in to follow this  
minusminun

Can the Master Chief Collection bring back Competitive Halo?

All maps are getting updated to 60 fps 1080p, just 6 OF those maps are getting a full HD remaster for the Xbox One engine. 

H2 will still have the complete H2 MP running on H2 engine in 1080p/60fps.

I think they would pick it up if it can sustain itself. If the casual viewership is there and the competitive players are there to fill out events then I see no reason why MLG won't. The only thing hindering it is no spectator mode. Who knows.

Yea I was thinking if every map got an HD overhaul as opposed to just 6 it may be percieved as a "new" game and help get that casual viewership.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't posted in months. It's honestly been since October that a Halo game even when into my Xbox. I had no intention of buying an Xbone because I was (and honestly, still am) certain that competitive is Halo is dead. But, here I am.

Can this collection (namely the Halo 2 HD remake) save competitive Halo...? Absolutely not. And I say this for two reasons...

The first is that multiplayer in this single disc collection seems to be just a cluster fuck of Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4 gametypes, settings, maps, and - most importantly - mechanics. That means that searching to play some Team Slayer could result in some awesome Halo 2 Lockout shenanigans orrrrrr.... could result in some insta-quitting, Halo 4 on Solace nonsense. But that's just how I read the article on Kotaku so I could totally be wrong about that assumption... but unless there's at least a dedicated "This Playlist is Only Halo 2" playlist... not even worth the risk. Stick to customs, folks.

Edit: Read in the other thread from a tweet that you can choose which game, not the clusterfuck. So there's that, at least. Color me satisfied.

Second, no one is going to want to play an older game... and when I say no one, I mean no venue. MLG, and especially not 343, will want to host tournaments and events for Halo 2 HD above GameBattles or "Here, go play matchmaking for a few weeks and see who wins the most", respectively. When Halo 5 launches, developer support will be 100% behind that and that's where this community, whatever is left of it, would have to go.

Best case scenario hinges on 343 Industries doing 2 things - failure to do either means that Halo 5 had best be the greatest thing since sliced bread. First, the game has to be a perfect remake. When dealing with that game and this community, any minor fuck up will mean a world of backlash. Second, the game has to have a good matchmaking system for the competitive side. It basically needs the MLG playlist at launch, or bust. We all know how well no sprint customs worked to save the Halo 4 scene...

At the end of the day, I'm sure most of us will enjoy watching old pros stream old games because that's what's good, what will always be good. The only thing that can save competitive Halo is Guardians not sucking. And when your reveal mentions only 60 FPS on dedicated server and *cringe* new Spartan abilities...

My faith is at an all time low.

I'll sit and wait for all you kind folk to buy it first and let me know if it's even worth my time.

It has already been confirmed that the new spartan abilities are not the same a reach. They are more like spartan features such as dual wielding and hijacking.

Its has to have system link or lan capabilities, and for it to get picked up by MLG or other big leagues it must have spectator mode. I'm sure H5 will have a chance, but I'm perfectly fine with the master chief collection until then

• Upvote (+1) 3

Since it has H2s Multiplayer I believe it certainly can compete with a declining COD.

how can you compare any halo with cod?

Cod is total casual. By definition cod cannot be competitive because it's drop when shot eliminates all decision making from the engagement ... if you call it an engagement. Cod is 100% ambush, nothing else.

Competitive halo is back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I definitely think it will help revive the competitive scene. People loved these games and having them all together in one package is going to have a lot of people playing again. However, I don't think H2A and CE MP will pull us through another bad release. Halo 5 needs to be good, IMO it is the only chance Halo will have of being a premier title for MLG or any other tournament organizer. I think we should all buy this collection and play the hell out of it though. We also need to participate in the Halo 5 Beta and let it be known what we do and don't want. 

In the meantime we could possibly have a few throwback tournaments hosted by MLG or another league and at least keep the scene going until H5 releases.

I haven't posted in months. It's honestly been since October that a Halo game even when into my Xbox. I had no intention of buying an Xbone because I was (and honestly, still am) certain that competitive is Halo is dead. But, here I am......

Second, no one is going to want to play an older game... and when I say no one, I mean no venue. MLG, and especially not 343, will want to host tournaments and events for Halo 2 HD above GameBattles or "Here, go play matchmaking for a few weeks and see who wins the most", respectively. When Halo 5 launches, developer support will be 100% behind that and that's where this community, whatever is left of it, would have to go.

I don't see this as an older game. I see this as Halo reborn.

What would you say to a brand new title that had all the Halo 2 mechanics, but with 1080HD/60fps on PS4? Would you say that it was an old game?

If so, then COD and every other modern FPS apart from just a few like Halo and Quake are very old games. They resemble the ORIGINAL Half Life and Counter Strike from the 90s.

This game will be seen as NEW because the rendering, the console generation, and the support like dedicated servers. Only the mechanics are original, and the maps don't have to be new... in fact if they were new people would scream for forge to make remakes of old maps.

Get your game on Katastrophe, WEzBAK!

As far as matchmaking goes and population I think yes then competitive Halo will be back. Also, with the games we are getting there should be more tournament support for the games than we have had in the past 2-3 years.

However anyone who thinks the games alone are enough to grow competitive Halo to the point where we would like it to be are fooling themselves, if 343 leave out spectator mode and system link. I'm sure they are working on it though because with what they are giving us I would assume they have recognized the importance of spectator mode and lan in this age of gaming. Providing those features would do nothing but benefit 343 and the community and help us with room for growth, which Halo desperately needs since we are basically starting all over now.

I don't think it'll bring back huge tournaments and such simply because the games will look dated and we don't have a spectator mode. However in terms of player satisfaction I could definitely see CE 2v2 and H2 4v4 events cropping up (hopefully as 2 parts of the same event) if we, as a community can get past the dated graphics (which will still seem to be improved next tot he originals thanks to the higher resolution and frame rate).

Gotta start thinking like Quake and Smash players - our games won't be the prettiest or most modern things going, but if they give us the gameplay experiences we want then we should play them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

how can you compare any halo with cod?

Cod is total casual. By definition cod cannot be competitive because it's drop when shot eliminates all decision making from the engagement ... if you call it an engagement. Cod is 100% ambush, nothing else.

Competitive halo is back.

Because of the fast kill times it's important to note that a team needs to excel at communicating and map awareness so they maintain control an are able to make plays. I agree, halo takes more skill, but CoD has some things going for it.

I don't think it'll bring back huge tournaments and such simply because the games will look dated and we don't have a spectator mode. However in terms of player satisfaction I could definitely see CE 2v2 and H2 4v4 events cropping up (hopefully as 2 parts of the same event) if we, as a community can get past the dated graphics (which will still seem to be improved next tot he originals thanks to the higher resolution and frame rate).

Gotta start thinking like Quake and Smash players - our games won't be the prettiest or most modern things going, but if they give us the gameplay experiences we want then we should play them.

Yup.  There's no way, in my opinion, Halo CE or Halo 2 gets picked up by MLG.  What we need are small grassroots tournaments, like Smash Bros has, where the best players can attend and they need to be streamed.  We aren't the king anymore, that time has long passed, but there is still a community here as evidenced by the insanity that yesterday's announcement produced.

It will most certainly bring it back for online competitive play. I'll gladly spend weekend hours ranking up in HCE mp online. Damn this is gonna be good!

They could patch a spec mode in, and we have no confirmation on whether spectator mode is included or not.

Its probably going to have to start at a grass-roots level, but if it gets picked up by MLG and the game succeeds in the way we know it can then we could be back.

I can see Halo being played at multiple MLG events. Puckett would be the first to say yes to a return of Halo, I mean his whole career is based on this game, he loves Halo. A good way to kick things off is to host a launch event with some (former) pros, e.g. the Ogre twins, Walshy, Roy, Lunchbox and so on. Before the matches they could show some highlights of older events, like showing the best scenes of CtF on Midship, and then play the same map and mode. Player Interviews about how they felt when they won their first tournaments etc. Just ride the nostalgia-train. This would appeal to old fans and new fans as well showing them the glorious history of competitive Halo.

The demographic of gamers seems to change. The casuals of yesterday became the competitive-minded players of today. The rise of popularity of franchises like CoD and Halo have reached their zenith and the market for eSports is growing.

The biggest challenge is to make Halo popular again. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't see this as an older game. I see this as Halo reborn.

What would you say to a brand new title that had all the Halo 2 mechanics, but with 1080HD/60fps on PS4? Would you say that it was an old game?

If so, then COD and every other modern FPS apart from just a few like Halo and Quake are very old games. They resemble the ORIGINAL Half Life and Counter Strike from the 90s.

This game will be seen as NEW because the rendering, the console generation, and the support like dedicated servers. Only the mechanics are original, and the maps don't have to be new... in fact if they were new people would scream for forge to make remakes of old maps.

Get your game on Katastrophe, WEzBAK!

I get what you're saying, but I'm thinking strictly along the lines of the developer and general gamer market. 343 Industries could very well continue to release new HD Halo 2 maps as time goes on to support that MCC - I honestly don't think they will, but I'm not saying it's impossible. My guess is the developer and overall marketing behind the Halo franchise is going to be for Halo 5. That's where tournaments will be, where new DLC will be, etc. And if that flops, and I honestly hope it doesn't but the way Halo 4 was handled has obviously left a really bad taste in my mouth, then it's rest in pieces. I honestly didn't plan on buying an Xbone... but if you all come here saying the beta is good, I will. Simple as that.

While I don't doubt this community will be like "Yes, Halo 2 all day, errday"... I don't think 343 will show it that level of support when they could (and should) be promoting the newest game. This is like when we all wanted to switch back to Halo 3 or NBNS Reach instead of Halo 4. I'm just looking at the bigger picture... cause there's no way this Halo 2 HD remake sounds like a failure, the more I read about it.

So does the H2HD remake sound competitively viable? Absolutely, if they deliver on all this. But is it gonna revive the scene and put Halo back on the map...? Dunno. I mean, Sundance and some others are pretty vocal about how much they love Halo, especially Halo 2... I honestly wouldn't put it past them to include it, if not just for nostalgia.

But since October, I've been involved in the LoL scene and they're completely dominating the eSport market right now. I honestly don't see Halo 2 competing with that without 110% support from 343 or at least a major eSport label like MLG.

But I like what Cri7ical said above me... just ride the nostalgia train. The biggest hurdle is making Halo, even an older (but obviously better) Halo, popular again. And after Reach and Halo 4, that's pretty uphill.

• Downvote (-1) 3

All maps are getting updated to 60 fps 1080p, just 6 OF those maps are getting a full HD remaster for the Xbox One engine. 

H2 will still have the complete H2 MP running on H2 engine in 1080p/60fps.

I think they would pick it up if it can sustain itself. If the casual viewership is there and the competitive players are there to fill out events then I see no reason why MLG won't. The only thing hindering it is no spectator mode. Who knows.

MLG will likely do a test run in November and see what teams they get, what's the viewership is like etc.

I am so confused. Every other map (besides the 6) are going to still be in 1080p/60FPS, but they will be running on the original Xbox 2004 engine? Won't it stil look ugly whether it's 1080p or not? Will those other maps not get their textures and stuff update to modern-day graphics like the campaign and 6 maps?

I am so confused. Every other map (besides the 6) are going to still be in 1080p/60FPS, but they will be running on the original Xbox 2004 engine? Won't it stil look ugly whether it's 1080p or not? Will those other maps not get their textures and stuff update to modern-day graphics like the campaign and 6 maps?

Fairly certain everything is just getting a graphical overhaul to make 1080p/60FPS look natural.

Ever plug a PS2 into a high def TV? It's not fucking pretty. If they marketed that, I'd die.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Competitively? I think it definitely will.

Halo eSports though?

I think it can... but will be a low-mid tier eSport title if I'm thinking pessimistically  

Right now with the state of eSports as it is now, I think there is now way Halo will be anytime soon (if nothing happens if Halo) entering into these "big time" eSport leagues such as ESL or Dreamhack even if MLG decides to pick it up again or even join some of these big time eSport titles such as League of Legends (Over $8 million dollars of prize pool money is put into and has the highest amount of viewers in eSports and the world's most populated video game with over 72 million players) and Dota (currently holds the biggest World Championship Prize Pool for an eSport title currently at $9 million dollars and still rising (you can see it here for yourself http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/))

I think if Halo eSports wants to be big it NEEDS to in my opinion have the next Halos (Halo TMCC and Halo 5) be on both PC and Xbox to create a bigger player base and create a bigger talent pool and teams going,

Not only that I think 343i needs to make their own tournament series like how League of Legends does it with their LCS (League of Legends Championship Series) and make a circuit with the help of MLG (if that is MLG does decide to pick it up again) because 343i by itself I don't think has that much money to do so (although the partnership with Astro Gaming is promising) right now so if they can produce one or two tournaments with a World Championship with the help of MLG tournaments I think it will be pretty solid.

In terms of FPS eSports I definitely think Halo can be big and possibly be a big time eSport (and possibly bigger than the "golden days" of Halo) even if Halo/343i doesn't go through the route I think that will be optimal. Just look at the history of FPSs in eSports.

Call of Duty were in a state similar to Halo years ago and look at where they are now?

Look at Counter Strike, Counter Strike used to be bigger than Halo OR Starcraft in the US and Europe way back then and it fell off hard but look at their recent success they've been having in ESL with IEM Katowice holding the CS:GO World Championships. If other FPSs can do it so can Halo. 

I definitely do think 343i will make the right moves and am very excited to see what they have in store for the community 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I haven't posted in months. It's honestly been since October that a Halo game even when into my Xbox. I had no intention of buying an Xbone because I was (and honestly, still am) certain that competitive is Halo is dead. But, here I am.

Can this collection (namely the Halo 2 HD remake) save competitive Halo...? Absolutely not. And I say this for two reasons...

The first is that multiplayer in this single disc collection seems to be just a cluster fuck of Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4 gametypes, settings, maps, and - most importantly - mechanics. That means that searching to play some Team Slayer could result in some awesome Halo 2 Lockout shenanigans orrrrrr.... could result in some insta-quitting, Halo 4 on Solace nonsense. But that's just how I read the article on Kotaku so I could totally be wrong about that assumption... but unless there's at least a dedicated "This Playlist is Only Halo 2" playlist... not even worth the risk. Stick to customs, folks.

Edit: Read in the other thread from a tweet that you can choose which game, not the clusterfuck. So there's that, at least. Color me satisfied.

Best case scenario hinges on 343 Industries doing 2 things - failure to do either means that Halo 5 had best be the greatest thing since sliced bread. First, the game has to be a perfect remake. When dealing with that game and this community, any minor fuck up will mean a world of backlash. Second, the game has to have a good matchmaking system for the competitive side. It basically needs the MLG playlist at launch, or bust. We all know how well no sprint customs worked to save the Halo 4 scene...

At the end of the day, I'm sure most of us will enjoy watching old pros stream old games because that's what's good, what will always be good. The only thing that can save competitive Halo is Guardians not sucking. And when your reveal mentions only 60 FPS on dedicated server and *cringe* new Spartan abilities...

My faith is at an all time low.

I'll sit and wait for all you kind folk to buy it first and let me know if it's even worth my time.

the thing this master collection has going for it right now is the lack of games on the xboxone, this being 4 games in one at the price of one game will look like a huge deal to the average gamer which alone should bring in a large playerbase. after that just have to sit back and hope that people won't walk away from it just because the graphics "suck" or doesn't have any modern FPS mechanics they've come to expect.

the competitive halo community though, we definitely back.

Halo is going to come back there is no stopping us, 343 working on there shit and there pumping out the best for us. Adding Pro players to the team is the best thing anyone can do Give Battle Cry for halo. HALO MLG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We coming back! :Halo: :D

Fairly certain everything is just getting a graphical overhaul to make 1080p/60FPS look natural.

Ever plug a PS2 into a high def TV? It's not fucking pretty. If they marketed that, I'd die.

nope, all the original games are untouched. they've just been recompiled for the xbone. only h2 is getting the graphics update but this is on an engine designed to try and mimic halo2 so it won't be the same as halo 2. but there is still the original halo 2 to play

Thats not entirely true. The smash community understands that SSBM is a better and more competitive game than SSBB so the community gets behind SSBM tournaments and supports that game more. They have tournaments by VG, CT, and MLG. I agree Dev Support will be behind Halo 5 because that is the newest game in the title but let's say H5 is absolute shit (And was killed by the Guardians), and if the community is confidently behind the Master Chief Collection, then MLG and other venues will pick up Halo because that is the best competitive title.

But tournaments for The Master Chief Collection and Dev Support will definitely happen. No doubt in my mind 

Thats not entirely true. The smash community understands that SSBM is a better and more competitive game than SSBB so the community gets behind SSBM tournaments and supports that game more. They have tournaments by VG, CT, and MLG. I agree Dev Support will be behind Halo 5 because that is the newest game in the title but let's say H5 is absolute shit (And was killed by the Guardians), and if the community is confidently behind the Master Chief Collection, then MLG and other venues will pick up Halo because that is the best competitive title.

But tournaments for The Master Chief Collection and Dev Support will definitely happen. No doubt in my mind 

This is a great example.

I don't doubt that if, worst case scenario, Halo 5 is a flop that the community will support Halo 2 HD. Zero doubt. However, that's going to significantly cripple how big it gets as an eSport, in all reality. Which is a shame, really. But who knows. Honestly, I feel that if MLG (or an equally big name) were to pick up Halo 2 HD and promote it as if it was the current Halo title, even without 343 support, it could definitely see some success.

But dev money will be in the newest thing, and that support would be a huge advantage.