Sign in to follow this  
minusminun

Can the Master Chief Collection bring back Competitive Halo?

can't system link. no spectator.

rip halo

edit: if you neg this and don't neg the post below me, then you're a hypocrite. especially kenny, venomz, and behemoth for repping him lmao. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 22

rip halo

They're working on both most likely. But if not, rest in pepperoni.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah, to release them without a system link would be shooting themselves in the foot, but it can survive without spectator mode.  Obviously it'd be great to have a spectator mode implemented but isn't core to the success as system link is as previous Halo titles have demonstrated. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think the biggest challenge will be getting new, younger players to pick up an "old" game without any shiny new features.  That really comes down to content and just getting the word out, in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Okay I am confused. What is this masterchief collection?

Is it H1, H2, H3, and H4 combined into one game? 

100 maps in one game? did i hear that correctly? That is a shit load of maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Halo could be revitalized since I know Halo fans loved Halo CE and Halo 2.  I could see many players coming back to play and possibly tournaments coming about (if it can be sustainable).  CoD declining, while the overall interest in the game may be declining, the competitive scene is still growing actually.  The XGames Invitational had over 170k concurrent viewers during the finals and even during the first day had I think around 70-80k.  I don't think Halo 2 Anniversary would be able to beat that but if there's enough interest coming back, I could see Halo 5 (if made properly) doing something big. 

I haven't posted in months. It's honestly been since October that a Halo game even when into my Xbox. I had no intention of buying an Xbone because I was (and honestly, still am) certain that competitive is Halo is dead. But, here I am.

Can this collection (namely the Halo 2 HD remake) save competitive Halo...? Absolutely not. And I say this for two reasons...

The first is that multiplayer in this single disc collection seems to be just a cluster fuck of Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4 gametypes, settings, maps, and - most importantly - mechanics. That means that searching to play some Team Slayer could result in some awesome Halo 2 Lockout shenanigans orrrrrr.... could result in some insta-quitting, Halo 4 on Solace nonsense. But that's just how I read the article on Kotaku so I could totally be wrong about that assumption... but unless there's at least a dedicated "This Playlist is Only Halo 2" playlist... not even worth the risk. Stick to customs, folks.

Edit: Read in the other thread from a tweet that you can choose which game, not the clusterfuck. So there's that, at least. Color me satisfied.

Second, no one is going to want to play an older game... and when I say no one, I mean no venue. MLG, and especially not 343, will want to host tournaments and events for Halo 2 HD above GameBattles or "Here, go play matchmaking for a few weeks and see who wins the most", respectively. When Halo 5 launches, developer support will be 100% behind that and that's where this community, whatever is left of it, would have to go.

Best case scenario hinges on 343 Industries doing 2 things - failure to do either means that Halo 5 had best be the greatest thing since sliced bread. First, the game has to be a perfect remake. When dealing with that game and this community, any minor fuck up will mean a world of backlash. Second, the game has to have a good matchmaking system for the competitive side. It basically needs the MLG playlist at launch, or bust. We all know how well no sprint customs worked to save the Halo 4 scene...

At the end of the day, I'm sure most of us will enjoy watching old pros stream old games because that's what's good, what will always be good. The only thing that can save competitive Halo is Guardians not sucking. And when your reveal mentions only 60 FPS on dedicated server and *cringe* new Spartan abilities...

My faith is at an all time low.

I'll sit and wait for all you kind folk to buy it first and let me know if it's even worth my time.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 32

rip halo

Given that some venues have access to insane internet, and that P2P host won't be an advantage, it's not that big of a problem. 

Spectator mode can be circumvented via built-in recording / streaming.

Anyway, I don't think 343 would do something as backward as removing system link after using it themselves to run one of the biggest Halo tournaments ever. It'll be there before the game comes out, guaranteed. It's not hard to implement at all.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think it's possible for competitive halo to exist but it's going to have to be funded buy microsoft and 343. If they want this to be an esport title they'll have to jump fully in. Esports is so different compared to a few years ago. There's so much money in this but the question is does 343 care enough to make that happen? You look at every other esport title outside of the fighting game community and the games are backed by the developers. If 343 wants to make this an esport title and offer spectator modes, funded tournaments then maybe if the interest is there we can make it happen, but the old MLG style will not work in modern esports. 

Okay I am confused. What is this masterchief collection?

Is it H1, H2, H3, and H4 combined into one game? 

100 maps in one game? did i hear that correctly? That is a shit load of maps.

Read the Beyond article on the homepage. It explains everything. :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think with the MCC - Competitive Halo will get a much needed boost leading into H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The question that needs to be asked is whether or not the new Halo 2 engine will be competitive, and will we have enough of the competitive maps remastered in HD? 

If not, will we have to settle for the classic engine without HD graphics?

The question that needs to be asked is whether or not the new Halo 2 engine will be competitive, and will we have enough of the competitive maps remastered in HD? 

If not, will we have to settle for the classic engine without HD graphics?

I doubt the 6 maps that are being remastered will be the ones that were on the MLG circuit for H2. Ascension already puts it down to 5. I reckon if H2 is the chosen game, they'll just use the OG engine with the maps that have upscaled graphics. 

I doubt the 6 maps that are being remastered will be the ones that were on the MLG circuit for H2. Ascension already puts it down to 5. I reckon if H2 is the chosen game, they'll just use the OG engine with the maps that have upscaled graphics. 

By upscaled, I assume you mean 1080p and 60fps

Yeah, I see that happening as well.

Seriously why do we still compare Halo to COD? COD is multiplatform. That is the only reason it gets that much viewership. Halo is always going to have a lower audience because its limited to a certain crowd. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hard to say.  As awesome as it would be to have Halo back on the circuit, I don't think this will be the game to do it.  Would it just be Halo 2 on the circuit again?  Like someone else said I don't think they are going to pick up a game that is literally 10 years old, especially since only a few maps got a graphical update.  I thought maybe there would be a chance if all the maps were updated.  Either way I say we just enjoy it, give feedback on the Halo 5 beta and then hopefully we will see H5 bring Halo back to it's glory days!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

By upscaled, I assume you mean 1080p and 60fps

Yeah, I see that happening as well.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I keep forgetting H2 is getting the full makeover and H1/3/4 are just getting upscaled graphics. :P

Hard to say.  As awesome as it would be to have Halo back on the circuit, I don't think this will be the game to do it.  Would it just be Halo 2 on the circuit again?  Like someone else said I don't think they are going to pick up a game that is literally 10 years old, especially since only a few maps got a graphical update.  I thought maybe there would be a chance if all the maps were updated.  Either way I say we just enjoy it, give feedback on the Halo 5 beta and then hopefully we will see H5 bring Halo back to it's glory days!

All maps are getting updated to 60 fps 1080p, just 6 OF those maps are getting a full HD remaster for the Xbox One engine. 

H2 will still have the complete H2 MP running on H2 engine in 1080p/60fps.

I think they would pick it up if it can sustain itself. If the casual viewership is there and the competitive players are there to fill out events then I see no reason why MLG won't. The only thing hindering it is no spectator mode. Who knows.

MLG will likely do a test run in November and see what teams they get, what's the viewership is like etc.

All maps are getting updated to 60 fps 1080p, just 6 OF those maps are getting a full HD remaster for the Xbox One engine. 

H2 will still have the complete H2 MP running on H2 engine in 1080p/60fps.

I think they would pick it up if it can sustain itself. If the casual viewership is there and the competitive players are there to fill out events then I see no reason why MLG won't. The only thing hindering it is no spectator mode. Who knows.

Yup, agreed.