Sign in to follow this  
Fated

Flagship RTX

D00d those team lifts are so sweet! You might as well be the TMNT springing into action!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it a kind of re-imagination of Ender?

That's what it looks like. 

OP updated to show the final RTX build of Flagship. I completely rebuilt the map over the past few days. Changes include:

• Grass/Island terrain bottom mid. Grass adds vibrant contrast and color neutrality between the bases.
  • Green wing, with the addition of top blue and red snipe, are now open. These areas have balconies that look over water, terrain, and trees. Open vs. closed (purple wing) eases orientation on the map.
  • Trees and Rocks added to the interior and exterior of the map to create contrast and ease orientation.
  • Light source direction changed. Map built with light source coming from green wing (open side). The new light source illuminates the entire middle stretch, and in general creates a far brighter and warmer feel to the map.
  • Removed unnecessary structural pieces top mid, bottom mid, and along the snipe ramps. All three locations now have far cleaner lines of sight and greater difficulty of escape.
  • Green/Purple wings slightly redesigned. Double ramps added from bottom mid to back wing. Both wings now have bridges that extend from plat to street. Addition of bridges increases player options to assault the enemy sniper via the wings. 
  • Extraction crate lights added to the streets, sniper halls, and wings. The addition of these colored lights, in addition to the grass mid and new light source direction, creates a far more vibrant and visually appealing experience. 
  • Spawning system overhauled.
  • Additional misc. edits that improve the map experience.

i1QEeiq4uccz7.jpg

ibvaGykyZWDhh2.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

Some minor aesthetic changes I would make and blue snipe seems to have a slight disadvantage compared to Red. Otherwise, the new paths and other revisions look solid and it's definitely more visually stimulating. Appreciate you taking the time to fine tune it. 

please finish Takedown now  :Halo:

• Upvote (+1) 2

blue snipe seems to have a slight disadvantage compared to Red.

Red snipe's open structure does create a slight advantage over blue snipe's closed structure. However, the same can be said about top blue's open structure versus top red's closed structure. Small asymmetries between respective sections, overall net symmetry in advantages. Keeps things interesting.

Red snipe's open structure does create a slight advantage over blue snipe's closed structure. However, the same can be said about top blue's open structure versus top red's closed structure. Small asymmetries between respective sections, overall net symmetry in advantages. Keeps things interesting.

I'm all for asymmetric aesthetics, but this seems to make nading blue snipe and dying by the fusion coil easier due to the diminished surface area on the ground. By comparison, red's closed spawn wouldn't really suffer from more grenade throws than the blue one, especially considering that there isn't a hazard or much traffic back there. Blue's only difference there is that you can hide for a few seconds, which doesn't seem worth the tradeoff to me. Blue would also have a more difficult time securing red's sniper since a player in danger can quickly jump it off the map (one of the problems with Asylum in Reach). Perhaps ironically, Red makes me feel less secure because the base is more open. However, as a player, I'd still prefer to be on red team and exploit those advantages no matter how small they may be. 

Again, I support anything that makes orientation more intuitive on symmetric maps, but only when it doesn't affect gameplay. But that's my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Blue would also have a more difficult time securing red's sniper since a player in danger can quickly jump it off the map (one of the problems with Asylum in Reach). Perhaps ironically, Red makes me feel less secure because the base is more open. However, as a player, I'd still prefer to be on red team and exploit those advantages no matter how small they may be. 

Again, I support anything that makes orientation more intuitive on symmetric maps, but only when it doesn't affect gameplay. But that's my opinion.

Top blue's open structure allows blue sniper to be jumped off the map as well, just not in the same location as red snipe. In my opinion, small asymmetries on symmetrical designs (resulting in pseudosymmetry, or apparent symmetry) creates a higher skill ceiling than standard symmetry. Those small aesthetic and gameplay asymmetries increase the amount of experience required to understand both sides of the map, whether it be learning to grenade areas differently or jumping the sniper off in different locations. The key is creating a net balance in advantages. I may have not calculated those advantages perfectly, and we will see over time if one advantage is greater than the other. I understand your concern though. The original Flagship had perfect symmetry, but perfect symmetry lacks charm.

P.S. I completed Takedown on Impact, but frame rate loss is absurd. May attempt a Ravine or Forge Island build soon. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

After playing this map, I can't help but believe this map should go back to Ender.

Too many routes, too many LoS, too one-dimensional (given you can have power at near any point of the map). Also, Rockets > Sniper, especially with CTF as the map's best gametype (thus, it should be the focus).

I think it's fair that I play this map more though, as I got slaughtered the first game I played.

@@IKorlash, Flagship and Ender share nearly identical routes, lines of sight, flow, and player encounters. The most notable changes are the sniper halls and the addition of hard routes to sniper spawn, both positive additions to the design that increase how contestable the sniper bridges are. Ender had green/purple halls as well (a significant addition to the original Black Site design), and Flagship improves those halls by pulling them closer in, streamlining lines of sight from top base through the halls. I suggest you play the new build a few times before jumping to the conclusion that "you can have power at near any point of the map", as I think your original game on the map was during a spawn weighting experiment (that has since been fixed) and against an overpowering team which resulted in a negative experience. If I remember correctly, your team was consistently spawning bottom snipe due to an experimental heavy respawn zone that has since been weakened. That spawn, and the entire base lobby to its right, is a super dangerous area to traverse when the enemy team is holding certain angles around the base.

The spawning system is super important to the functionality and enjoyment of the Flagship design, and getting it right isn't easy.

Well, I'll be happy to play on it again. I'm certain I'll feel the same way though.

Spawning wasn't much of an issue with me on either map.

Personally i thought ender was fine as it was and should of been considered in any playlist or tournament. Now on this map i can not really say anything on it sense i have yet to play on it. I will give more feedback when i actually get chance to play on it this weekend.

I told you what i would do to the map back when it was Ender. The kid talking about the nade thing is right, and venom is not a CE style map. That is false advertising, and I want my money back. Imagine all this said followed by your voice echoing in response.