RipShaDe 41

Future of Forge

I really hope that forge goes through a complete overhaul. I am hoping that it will be more like far cry's map maker.

I want to be able to imagine something in my head and have the tools necessary to brink that thought to life.

Do you guys think forge will be in halo 5 or H2A and if so will it be improved? What would you like to see added to forge?

• Upvote (+1) 8

It'd be awesome if forge takes a huge step up in Halo 5, but you know what would be even better?  Not even needing forge in Halo 5 due to great on-disc maps.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It'd be awesome if forge takes a huge step up in Halo 5, but you know what would be even better?  Not even needing forge in Halo 5 due to great on-disc maps.

I agree with the on disc maps part but could you imagine fans being able to make maps that look as good as dev maps?

Halo 5 has to have great maps to launch with but forge is fun and if it was better then who knows maybe we could create anything.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree with the on disc maps part but could you imagine fans being able to make maps that look as good as dev maps?

Halo 5 has to have great maps to launch with but forge is fun and if it was better then who knows maybe we could create anything.

I agree that would be awesome, I just don't know how feasible that is right now.  I'm just kind of making the point that we've seen forge evolve and improve a ton since Halo 3, and yet it's really done nothing towards the success of the game compared to having just a solid set of great maps like Halo 2 had.  So yes, it would be awesome if they could give us an advanced forge system along with other improvements, but the past few games have kind of shifted my focus away from forge and more towards making great on-disc maps again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm very curious to see what they'll do with it... There's no excuse for it to be a significantly more powerful tool in Halo 5. I've always found it awkward to use though.

If they can somehow refine its controls to where everything feels really natural and fluid, that alone would be a significant improvement, I feel. But I'm really not much of a Forger, which is surprising to me since I'm going into design... Like I know it takes time to build something good and all, but to me it's just too tedious of a process to sit through for it to be worth it.

I've dabbled with it a few times, but it just doesn't feel as intuitive as it should IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really hope that forge goes through a complete overhaul. I am hoping that it will be more like far cry's map maker.

I want to be able to imagine something in my head and have the tools necessary to brink that thought to life.

Do you guys think forge will be in halo 5 or H2A and if so will it be improved? What would you like to see added to forge?

I hope not. Most people can't figure out the tools available now - making them much more expansive would just result in even more terrible maps. Besides, what does it matter how pretty it looks when even "good" forgers can't figure out spawn zones and sight lines.

Yeah cuz fuck everyone that wants to make cool custom mini-games and shit.

I hate that this same stupid topic pops up every few weeks on here. Yeah, it would be good if forge was better - duh.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Yeah cuz fuck everyone that wants to make cool custom mini-games and shit.

Yup, because that's exactly what I was saying.  Give yourself a gold star for reading comprehension.

• Upvote (+1) 3

There are two key issues that I can see hindering 343 from moving to a full map editor. One is exploits. It is bad that players can push through the canvas and hide in dead areas that have inadequate kill zones. Imagine how much a full terrain editor would exasperate the problem for 343 trying to place forge maps into the playlists?

The other is rendering depth. Far cry 3 allows you to see deep into the water. I believe that a full map editor would present problems for rendering water with an array of geometries you will never see in developer maps because they would fix the problems. But forgers would not necessarily know how.

I can see the latter being removed as an issue with xb1 if they want it to be gone. But their claim that halo will run at a blistering 60 fps tells me two things. First they are using the existing engine approach with better hardware. Second, the same rendering degradation (frame rate) will be present just not as noticeable.

I could be wrong on this last point. But it isn't clear at all that they would solve the exploit issue..

As for what I want in the next halo forge... wait for it.... editing is nearly finished.

Project Spark

Yes something like project spark would be amazing. Just as long as its easier to use than project spark.

I have messed around with project spark and its pretty fun. I like the texture tool the most.

It would be nice if they stopped trying to add all these fancy details to every piece. If a piece is flat, I expect it to look flat. I can't stand any more of this invisible barrier shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It would be pretty cool if we could make dynamic objects, although I can see this being very unlikely :p

Honestly I wouldn't mind something as simple as an undo button

Also MORE COLOUR!! 

• Upvote (+1) 1

We need curved pieces to better replicate Midship

• Upvote (+1) 8

Yeah, something like Far Cry's map editor would be great! Would also like some kind of copy and paste so it will be easier to make symmetrical maps.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We need curved pieces to better replicate Midship

Why midship? Why not something original? Why are competitive forgers convinced that midship is the only competitive design possible?

Why do competitive forgers lack innovation?

What is wrong that they can't forge something better than midship?

Can't they come up with Bettership?

Either revamp and overhaul Forge to make it a complete map editor with weather, landscape, color, etc options included, or don't put forge in the next Halo at all. We as a community are forced to rely on Forge way too much and in turn we get awful real maps. In Reach the maps were recycled from the campaign and in H4 there was just no thought process put in them. I can't even name a H4 map that I think oh yeah that is a great map! We need a better Forge or not at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have played on some remakes more than once, but only to be certain I never want to play on a remake.

And while I am on it...

Why atrium style maps? Are there no other competitive designs possible?

Why are competitive forgers convinced that midship is the only competitive design possible?

Why do competitive forgers lack innovation?

You actually think the reason we only have forged midships in competitive settings is because of the forgers?

• Upvote (+1) 6

I can't even name a H4 map that I think oh yeah that is a great map! 

S9

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think something that should be one of the top priorities should be that it doesn't have framerate lag. The big contribute to this problem on H4 is the whole "generating lighting" thing. Not that it looked crapped or anything, just lagged up everything.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think something that should be one of the top priorities should be that it doesn't have framerate lag. The big contribute to this problem on H4 is the whole "generating lighting" thing. Not that it looked crapped or anything, just lagged up everything.

yea.... no, the light mapping actually improved performance but also ruined textures.. halo reach had dynamic lighting which cause a lot of performance issues and was a nightmare to deal with.

yea.... no, the light mapping actually improved performance but also ruined textures.. halo reach had dynamic lighting which cause a lot of performance issues and was a nightmare to deal with.

Well we both agree on.. Improve on performance :-)

I really hope they can have like a map editor on the computer that you can create files and upload onto your fileshare, and download high resolution versions of the map onto your xbox one. This would make creating maps so much  easier. There would be like a hundred skyboxes that you can pick from, hundreds of textures for objects, the diversity for custom maps would be so much greater. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well we both agree on.. Improve on performance :-)

yea, but next gen consoles should be doing this by default because of better hardware.

what i would like to see is no object and budget limits, this way forgers can let loose instead of being extremely restricted. honestly it is amazing what the top forgers can create considering how restricted they are, imagine what they could create if they weren't restricted.

• Upvote (+1) 1