Sign in to follow this  
KMART

Halo pros not for community just cash grab

That poll was on par with Russia's elections. How could you have missed that....? Half the discussions on this forum during that poll were about the poll being bull shit.

lol i know, but the tourney is on H4 not H3 so guess what game the pros are playing, Hell i hate halo 4 and reach and i wanted it to be on H3, i voted H3 but sadly it lost even if it was rigged, if halo has any hope at all its the next installment in the franchise until then halo is dead. 

lol i know, but the tourney is on H4 not H3 so guess what game the pros are playing, Hell i hate halo 4 and reach and i wanted it to be on H3, i voted H3 but sadly it lost even if it was rigged, if halo has any hope at all its the next installment in the franchise until then halo is dead. 

And that is exactly why CoD will outdue halo....because of that attitude you and everybody else has. "Until the next installment halo is dead". Even if we had a shit game it we boosted it to be more popular and had die hard community members willing to help the community grow then we would have more tournaments and leagues interested in running Halo on their circuit other then Iron Gaming.

Dont know if you noticed but Iron Gaming is trying to basically be like World Cyber Games, where in they will pick up all the games that the other leagues said werent good enough to be a eSport. If our community gave even the slightest fuck then we would do something but we dont and this community has just showed me that its true colors are a bunch of slackers who want everything handed to them and would rather just wait for ANOTHER halo game to come out and HOPE that its good so tournaments will want to pick our game up.

And thats why people leave our community because none of you give a damn so they go to one that does and will cause a fucking riot for their game.

Dumbest shit I've ever read.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 6

First things first... if we're going to revive a game, let's make sure it's a game people actually like playing and that has the most competitive merit. Not Halo 4 lol. I'm thinking Halo 1 2v2, and either H2/H3 4v4 and FFA. Organize regular local LAN tourneys, doesn't have to be big money or anything. Just do it because you can.

My living situation doesn't allow it right now otherwise it would be me doing this shit.

First things first... if we're going to revive a game, let's make sure it's a game people actually like playing and that has the most competitive merit. Not Halo 4 lol. I'm thinking Halo 1 2v2, and either H2/H3 4v4 and FFA. Organize regular local LAN tourneys, doesn't have to be big money or anything. Just do it because you can.

My living situation doesn't allow it right now otherwise it would be me doing this shit.

A "Halo fest" type of deal with all the different Halo's played(maybe just H1-H3) ran by the community would be pretty awesome. It always puzzled me how Bungie/343 never had a "Quakecon or Blizzcon" type of deal where the competitive history of the game is celebrated. If leaders of the community stepped up and organized something, I could see it happening but it always seems like these type of "grass-roots" tournaments never come to fruition in the end for whatever reason. In the "dark ages" of comp Halo, it might be even harder to organize support for something like this.

A "Halo fest" type of deal with all the different Halo's played(maybe just H1-H3) ran by the community would be pretty awesome. It always puzzled me how Bungie/343 never had a "Quakecon or Blizzcon" type of deal where the competitive history of the game is celebrated. If leaders of the community stepped up and organized something, I could see it happening but it always seems like these type of "grass-roots" tournaments never come to fruition in the end for whatever reason. In the "dark ages" of comp Halo, it might be even harder to organize support for something like this.

Why keep it just to comp?

Grifball has a sustained community too, throw them in there too. Have some kind of BTB themed event too. Have side events embracing the wacky custom games, a Halo race tourney would be damn fun to play in too.

An excellent chance for all the different Halo communities to come together in one event for a change, rather than segregate.

• Upvote (+1) 6

And that is exactly why CoD will outdue halo....because of that attitude you and everybody else has. "Until the next installment halo is dead". Even if we had a shit game it we boosted it to be more popular and had die hard community members willing to help the community grow then we would have more tournaments and leagues interested in running Halo on their circuit other then Iron Gaming.

Dont know if you noticed but Iron Gaming is trying to basically be like World Cyber Games, where in they will pick up all the games that the other leagues said werent good enough to be a eSport. If our community gave even the slightest fuck then we would do something but we dont and this community has just showed me that its true colors are a bunch of slackers who want everything handed to them and would rather just wait for ANOTHER halo game to come out and HOPE that its good so tournaments will want to pick our game up.

And thats why people leave our community because none of you give a damn so they go to one that does and will cause a fucking riot for their game.

Dumbest shit I've ever read.

Iron Gaming doesn't have a  business strategy or intelligently make any business decisions. Going into Halo 4 tournaments right now is fucking stupid.

And what the fuck have you ever done for Halo? It's a god damned hobby kid.

People play other games because THEY FUCKING ENJOY THEM. WE HATE HALO 4. THE REASON HALO CE AND 2 TOURNAMENTS DON'T REALLY WORK THE WAY THE SMASH COMMUNITY DOES IS BECAUSE OF FUCKING TEAMS. IT TAKES 4 PEOPLE FOR ONE FREAKING TEAM, IT'S NOT DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why keep it just to comp?

Grifball has a sustained community too, throw them in there too. Have some kind of BTB themed event too. Have side events embracing the wacky custom games, a Halo race tourney would be damn fun to play in too.

An excellent chance for all the different Halo communities to come together in one event for a change, rather than segregate.

Great idea, if we made it accessible to all different Halo MP player types we could make it a "Halo MP community" type of deal, if the leaders of those communities came together there could be enough support to make it happen.  :)

Maybe we could run it in the Rooster Teeth building lol.

Great idea, if we made it accessible to all different Halo MP player types we could make it a "Halo MP community" type of deal, if the leaders of those communities bonded together there could be enough support to make it happen.  :)

Maybe we could run it in the Rooster Teeth building lol.

Well we have the building.

You get the drinks. Il make the food.

People are still talking about the game needs to be good. No it doesn't. That has nothing to do with building up the community. The community needs to come together and we don't have that right now

The game definitely needs to be good. For me it's not a matter of "we just need to support it". I legitimately don't care for H4, it's boring to watch and it's boring to play. If this next game is just as bad or even slightly improved I still won't want to support it.

If it's anything like the first 3 then yeah it's a matter of stepping up and helping out the community, but it's kinda hard when the game you're trying to support is terrible.

This all comes to the game not being competitive out of the box for Halo 4, 343 didn't think about the settings when they first made the game and specifically targeted a casual audience. I honestly don't mind the Iron Gaming settings or v5. The BR is 4 shot among other things like the boltshot getting nerfed and the netcode is so much better. Alot of people were impatient and left before any substantial changes were made.  I think 343 is doing a great job compared to Bungie which hardly ever listened to anyone in the community.  Although, there's still problems with the Halo 4, a ranked matchmaking system, Join in progress, among other things. We still have a solid community to play customs with, in place of playing matchmaking.  Halo is evolving guys, there's going to be changes we aren't going to like compared to previous Halo games, but I think 343 will listen to the community and make the necessary changes in order to cater to both casual and competitive alike and hopefully blend them together to make an awesome game.

You can't expect people (pros) to devote most of their free time, at the cost of their future, to a game that is neither fun nor popular with no significant tournaments to maintain the lifestyle. Life doesn't work like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can't expect people (pros) to devote most of their free time, at the cost of their future, to a game that is neither fun nor popular with no significant tournaments to maintain the lifestyle. Life doesn't work like that.

You never know

• Downvote (-1) 1

You have to remember that at the end of the day, they are competitive gamers.  They play because they want to compete and when you no longer have that option, what else do you expect them to do?  Now as someone who has been involved with CoD since literally the very beginning and witnessed that scene build itself from literally nothing, I would say this. 

Regardless of whether Halo 4 is a good game or bad game or Reach was a good game or bad game, you need to find a way to support and promote Halo.  One of the biggest things I noticed when Halo had those AGL events (I'm sure they aren't much of a popular topic given what happened and you all have every right to be angry towards that brand) your viewership even then was considerably low compared to what CoD's viewership was when we were stuck with smaller events (UMG is what I'm referring to).  Throughout the cycle of CoD games, many of them weren't regarded as "good" games by the competitive community but regardless we liked CoD and we wanted it to succeed.  When MW3 came out and IW like always didn't do anything for us in terms of developer support, UMG was a company that came up, ran events and many people within the scene supported it.  We're talking a company who started out running events at some gaming cafe in Chicago with only like 30 teams and now is a legitimate league hosting tournaments about the same size that MLG runs (they even run online ladders/tournaments just like Gamebattles does as well).  Now again I understand the AGL situation and it honestly sucks what they did but even before that shit hit the fan and their tournaments still existed, even then I recall seeing many people tweeting or posting "Halo is dead" and stuff like that.  When MW3 came out and we knew it would be a let down by IW again, we didn't just say "CoD is dead" and just half ass our efforts to continue to try and push it into becoming a premier esports title.  Yeah there were a couple players who took breaks during this time and didn't play but most people kept playing (even though CoD is terrible online and MW3 wasn't that great of a game to begin with) and some of the NA teams even traveled over the Europe to compete in European tournaments alongside UMG running their events here in the US.  On top of this, you saw competitive players getting more involved in youtube and branding as a whole (trying to reach out to a larger audience). 

To add on to that, a lesson we had to learn was that we had to adapt the game better as a spectator friendly game and to appeal for both casual AND competitive players.  One of the biggest complaints I've seen is "they tried to gear Halo 4 towards casual players".  If you want Halo to even have a chance at coming back as a premier esports title, the game will have to be at least some what geared for more casual players and the reason I say that is because you have to have a way to keep more players interested in the game and in turn would provide more potential viewers for the competitive scene.  We had to learn to adapt in the same way, granted Treyarch did do a pretty good job at balancing the game around having to include elements like scorestreaks and other things into competitive play.  I'm not saying that the game has to be 100% entirely played out of the box, but you can't keep stripping down the game and expecting a larger audience to watch it. 

I will say, I do think OpTic getting involved with Halo will be a big help for the scene and I hope you guys will support that organization as they're supporting you.  That organization was honestly one of the biggest reasons outside of Treyarch that helped build the cod scene that we have so if you're willing to support them then they could potentially do some good things for Halo as well.  Regardless as I said before, find ways of promoting the game and if possible, some way of bringing back competitive play to give purpose to compete again.  Even if it's just online tournaments, anything would be better than nothing IMO.  Even if some of the pros have moved on to another game or w/e, there is still a lot you guys can do to help the scene as a whole. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

^^Your forgetting MW3 was still like the most popular FPS at that time, and H4 was out of the top ten XBL activity charts like 2-3 months after it launched. Didn't MW3 also have that big CoD XP event? Its not a very good comparison, H4 was more like Quake 4(not that drastic but close).

I dont want to beat a dead horse, but H4 is only Halo in name to alot of comp Halo players/pros and that is the core of the issue. Comp Halo/MLG started from nothing dragging CRT TV's and Xbox's to venues and without us there would be no MLG CoD so dont forget that. Its not that were being lazy there is H4 tournaments coming up, its just that most gamers are not playing H4 right now or playing older Halos, the interest for the current title is just not there.

You have to remember that at the end of the day, they are competitive gamers.  They play because they want to compete and when you no longer have that option, what else do you expect them to do?  Now as someone who has been involved with CoD since literally the very beginning and witnessed that scene build itself from literally nothing, I would say this. 

Regardless of whether Halo 4 is a good game or bad game or Reach was a good game or bad game, you need to find a way to support and promote Halo.  One of the biggest things I noticed when Halo had those AGL events (I'm sure they aren't much of a popular topic given what happened and you all have every right to be angry towards that brand) your viewership even then was considerably low compared to what CoD's viewership was when we were stuck with smaller events (UMG is what I'm referring to).  Throughout the cycle of CoD games, many of them weren't regarded as "good" games by the competitive community but regardless we liked CoD and we wanted it to succeed.  When MW3 came out and IW like always didn't do anything for us in terms of developer support, UMG was a company that came up, ran events and many people within the scene supported it.  We're talking a company who started out running events at some gaming cafe in Chicago with only like 30 teams and now is a legitimate league hosting tournaments about the same size that MLG runs (they even run online ladders/tournaments just like Gamebattles does as well).  Now again I understand the AGL situation and it honestly sucks what they did but even before that shit hit the fan and their tournaments still existed, even then I recall seeing many people tweeting or posting "Halo is dead" and stuff like that.  When MW3 came out and we knew it would be a let down by IW again, we didn't just say "CoD is dead" and just half ass our efforts to continue to try and push it into becoming a premier esports title.  Yeah there were a couple players who took breaks during this time and didn't play but most people kept playing (even though CoD is terrible online and MW3 wasn't that great of a game to begin with) and some of the NA teams even traveled over the Europe to compete in European tournaments alongside UMG running their events here in the US.  On top of this, you saw competitive players getting more involved in youtube and branding as a whole (trying to reach out to a larger audience). 

Imagine if the CoD community was stuck with MW3 for 3 years. That's literally what is going on with Halo 4. The CoD community went from Mw3 to BO2 in a year. They rode through a bad game for a year and bounced back with a stellar competitive title. Going from Halo 3 to Reach to Halo 4 would be like going from BO2 to MW3 to Ghosts over the span of 7 years! 

• Upvote (+1) 1

^^Your forgetting MW3 was still like the most popular FPS at that time, and H4 was out of the top ten XBL activity charts like 2-3 months after it launched. Didn't MW3 also have that big CoD XP event? Its not a very good comparison, H4 was more like Quake 4(not that drastic but close).

I dont want to beat a dead horse, but H4 is only Halo in name to alot of comp Halo players/pros and that is the core of the issue. Comp Halo/MLG started from nothing dragging CRT TV's and Xbox's to venues and without us there would be no MLG CoD so dont forget that. Its not that were being lazy there is H4 tournaments coming up, its just that most gamers are not playing H4 right now or playing older Halos, the interest for the current title is just not there.

It was the most popular game in regards to people playing it, but among the competitive community not many people really enjoyed that game.  In particularly the online aspect of it (I understand Halo also isn't regarded highly for online play but remember most of our tournaments for CoD are played online).  MW3 had the CoD XP event before the game was actually released, it was the same year that Black Ops 1 was on the circuit so the actual year we had MW3 all we had were UMG events (our equivalent to AGL) and online tournaments. 

I'm not just talking about Halo 4 either because I think the "decline" of Halo seems (at least from my perspective) to have started with Reach.  Many people weren't happy because Reach brought forth a number of new features to the game like Bloom, Sprint, Jet Packs, etc. and the general complaint I've always heard was "it didn't feel like Halo".  As I said, for Halo to evolve and grow in the same way that CoD did, you will have to accept change.  I'm not saying that Bloom was the best change they ever made, but you can't strip down the game to it's basics like Halo 2/3 was played and expect the general audience to watch.  We all thought using scorestreaks would break competitive play and it wasn't how old school competitive cod was played but those changes were implemented and once we adapted it wasn't as bad as we thought.  I'm not suggesting every single change 343 made was the best, but the game will to some extent need to be catered to that general audience. 

Believe me I understand what Halo has done for the console esports scene and most of us respect that.  Of course there will be the little fanboys that go around and make that "Halo vs. CoD" argument shit but those actually involved in the scene have a lot of respect for Halo and I know many players who have said it would be nice to see Halo return as a competitive title.  I'm not saying the halo community is lazy, but you have to find ways to keep some interest in the game.  You can't expect Halo 5 to release (lets assume it's the perfect ideal game everyone is hoping for) and it will then magically become the premier console shooter again.  Even if Halo 5 is fact an amazing game and you have a large population of players playing it, you still have to then find a way to expose them to the competitive side of the game and allow them to understand it.  While Halo's competitive community is very dedicated, the shear size of it is not that big compared to what other communities are at now and until it does in fact grow to a comparable size, I don't think it would return to being that premier console shooter.  I understand that the game you're left with currently doesn't generate a lot of interest, but as a community, I would still look to find ways to at least bring interest back to Halo as a whole.  Even though every Halo release carries a ton of hype, the release itself will not restore what you had before. 

Imagine if the CoD community was stuck with MW3 for 3 years. That's literally what is going on with Halo 4. The CoD community went from Mw3 to BO2 in a year. They rode through a bad game for a year and bounced back with a stellar competitive title. Going from Halo 3 to Reach to Halo 4 would be like going from BO2 to MW3 to Ghosts over the span of 7 years! 

And I completely understand that.  Of course there are a number of key differences and to explain everything would simply be way too long, but I do understand that being stuck for 3 years with a not so great game is far worse then only being stuck for 1 year with it.  At the same time however, Black Ops 2 was honestly the only CoD title that truly had what we asked for so to some extent we also were stuck for a number of years with yearly games that didn't provide what we needed.  Even with Black Ops 1 while we had LAN support finally, everyone agrees it was still boring as hell to watch hence why we had little viewership (I guess our bops 1 was your Reach essentially).  We're riding through a not so great game as it is currently, I think moving to next gen helped a little bit but everyone always says "I wish we could go back to Black Ops 2".  Granted we still have a ton of tournament support but Reach had that support as well (You didn't have a $1 million tournament or XGames but you still had MLG's support as you always did) and yet it seemed in general, your interest (I'm referring the competitive Halo scene in general) seemed to still decline significantly because you felt the game wasn't good and it wasn't "what halo used to be".  So much that I remember watching some of the AGL events and only seeing maybe 4-5k viewers even with the top teams on stream. 

I don't mean to make it sound like I'm shitting on Halo.  As I said in another post, there's a lot of respect we have for Halo and I personally would love to see Halo return as a competitive shooter.  But if you want Halo to succeed then you have to be willing to support your game in both good and bad times. 

I just want personalities and pros to step up and continue to spread the game to make it bigger and better so that we have the kind of input that CoD players have within their game. I just would like to see pros give back to the community and want to build it up for the better rather then just leave and go to another game like CoD because there is money in it or its more popular.

Maybe I live in a dream world. Dont get me wrong there are people like Bravo, Lan Valen, Ghandi and Absolutely doing productive things for halo (not ghandi really cause he does mostly CoD now) but I think you get what Im saying. 

I just want personalities and pros to step up and continue to spread the game to make it bigger and better so that we have the kind of input that CoD players have within their game. I just would like to see pros give back to the community and want to build it up for the better rather then just leave and go to another game like CoD because there is money in it or its more popular.

Maybe I live in a dream world. Dont get me wrong there are people like Bravo, Lan Valen, Ghandi and Absolutely doing productive things for halo (not ghandi really cause he does mostly CoD now) but I think you get what Im saying. 

As I said, you have to keep in mind that at the end of the day, they are competitive gamers.  They want to compete and now they don't really have that option. 

Also keep in mind a very key aspect, CoD has a youtube viewer base that's been building since 2008.  So for us, it was easier to spread the word and grow our community because we had an outlet of millions of people to spread it out to with the help of very large organizations like OpTic, FaZe, etc. who had HUGE youtube followings because of their sniping clan and the content they do.  For the players themselves, it's also more motivating to doing youtube and streaming because a lot of players are getting up to 20,000-30,000 subs if not more (some of them are in the hundreds of thousands even) so content also becomes a means of significant income for them.  Halo doesn't have anything to that extent at the moment so it's a lot harder for you to spread the game to a large group of players as such and also for the players to stay motivated towards creating that content.  Now of course with OpTic getting involved with Halo, that will some what change as Halo would be exposed more to their following but I think you will still have to do a bit more to really grow and revitalize the scene for Halo 5. 

Just remember though, that viewerbase wasn't built from pro players.  It started with casual players putting out commentaries as personalities and sniping clans putting out montages, purely entertainment.  Pros didn't even begin to break into youtube until MW3 for most of them.  So you don't NEED the pros to build that viewerbase, the community itself can work to do that but it will take a community effort.  From that MLG tweet the other day, I saw half of the people saying "If it's Halo 4 I'm not supporting it".  If you want Halo to succeed then you have to support it.  It no longer matters how good of a game Halo is, the only way Halo will ever return is if it can be sustainable for major tournaments/leagues to run it. 

You're a fool if you think the community can do anything to prop up these shit games. Until we get a game that's good nothing can be done, that whole stuck with MW3 for 3 years thing? Nah, imagine 7 years.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The Halo community was never, ever, EVER about the same things that League, Starcraft, COD, Battlefield, etc. are about - namely, sitting around watching streams and making joke content. Those are the two things that get the most attention these days, and Halo never did that. We were into Halo because we were into the sport of it, not the culture of it. Yes, it did develop its own culture, but that culture was strictly about events and LANs. 

So it's no surprise that almost nobody stepped up to the plate when Halo crashed. The scene wasn't built around personalities, it was based around legendary tournament play and a bunch of guys who were convinced they could do the same thing. It was because Halo died at the wrong moment and also because it never developed in the correct way to adapt to today's gaming culture that we're seeing almost no content being put out, and probably never will. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're a fool if you think the community can do anything to prop up these shit games. Until we get a game that's good nothing can be done, that whole stuck with MW3 for 3 years thing? Nah, imagine 7 years.

You may think it's shit from a competitive standpoint, but perhaps there are other ways of playing Halo that people may find entertaining.  If people in CoD could make jumping off buildings for 3 months straight just to land 1 1080 no scope across the map for a montage entertaining (and for some reason people still watch that shit after 4 years), I'm sure you guys could come up with something.  That may not be the quick fix solution for the competitive community, but it would be a step forward in building a general viewership for the game which would be beneficial in the future. 

The Halo community was never, ever, EVER about the same things that League, Starcraft, COD, Battlefield, etc. are about - namely, sitting around watching streams and making joke content. Those are the two things that get the most attention these days, and Halo never did that. We were into Halo because we were into the sport of it, not the culture of it. Yes, it did develop its own culture, but that culture was strictly about events and LANs. 

So it's no surprise that almost nobody stepped up to the plate when Halo crashed. The scene wasn't built around personalities, it was based around legendary tournament play and a bunch of guys who were convinced they could do the same thing. It was because Halo died at the wrong moment and also because it never developed in the correct way to adapt to today's gaming culture that we're seeing almost no content being put out, and probably never will. 

I don't know if I agree with that. For a lot of my friends and I, Halo was definitely built around personalities. If Tsquared, Walshy, and the like came back and played I'd be watching them. There are two types of people who watch sport... those who watch their home team and those who watch for the sake of the game itself. I don't watch football, basketball, baseball, etc unless my home team is playing. And when they are, I love watching. I gotta have something or someone to root for. 

The same goes for Halo. Did I watch any of the games during Halo 2 that were focused on no-name teams? Not really. The only games we watched were when the big name teams came on (i.e. Final Boss, Carbon, St8 Rippin, etc). 

So maybe you're partially right if you belong in that category of watching sports because you like the sport. But for some of us, it was definitely about the personalities and rooting for that 'home team'.