TRAAAP

MLG planned to brand CoD's Evil Geniuses (ex-compLexity) as Final Boss

This is like me saying I wanna play on the NBA but don't put me on TNT or ESPN, it not cool, it's not "rebelling" it's disrespectful. It doesn't make them cool, it makes them immature

The NBA and it's owners pays it's players a hell of a lot of money.  Until MLG can afford to do that, all of this "we're like the NFL/NBA/MLB" talk is pure bullshit.  The problem here is that MLG is trying to expand at light speed while the Pro players themselves are being completely nickled-and-dimed like peasants.  In this specific case EG is affiliated with Twitch...they aren't "rebelling", they are fulfilling their contractual obligations.  This attempted power-play MLG failed so badly that they just changed their mind within hours.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I need a summary of what is happening.

MLG is forcing teams to stream on MLG, and they just recently backed off that??

This is like me saying I wanna play on the NBA but don't put me on TNT or ESPN, it not cool, it's not "rebelling" it's disrespectful. It doesn't make them cool, it makes them immature. MLG owns the rights to Final Boss, so they can do whatever they want with it.

CoD is tiny compared to the NBA. You can't compare them.

MLG are creating a monopoly over the CoD scene. Does anyone remember what happened to the last franchise that happened to?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Forget the "Final Boss" name drama.

The bigger picture is MLG trying to monopolize the e-sports scene and own their teams to the fullest extent. Not allowing their teams to stream on Twitch = all the profit going directly to/through MLG, instead of the players being able to make money on their subscribers, their ad revenue, etc.

MLG owning the shit out of our scene is a big part of the reason why Halo is in such miserable shape nowadays. We had no grassroots, no infrastructure outside of them. So when they dropped us, we were fucked.

MLG are creating a monopoly over the CoD scene. Does anyone remember what happened to the last franchise that happened to?

^^^ this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I need a summary of what is happening.

MLG is forcing teams to stream on MLG, and they just recently backed off that??

MLG wanted to forced players to stream their league matches, but to stream MLG tournaments / league matches / 2ks, they have to be on on MLG.tv. Members of EG are contracted by twitch and can only stream there meaning they would have to break contract just to be able to play in the league otherwise they forfeit all their matches. Backlash from a bunch of players, especially members on EG. MLG now reversed its decision and made it so that you dont have to stream league matches but if you do, it has to be on MLG.tv. 

It would be pure disrespect to hand the Final Boss name off like that. I didn't even like when Ogre 2 used it for CoD.

Exactly, Final Boss is one of the godfather's of e-sports in NA http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/esports/stories/1331652159714/the-godfathers-of-esports

Very dissapointed in how MLG has treated the Halo community in recent years(teasing Halo tournaments), I use to think they were the best and cared for our community, now I see they were just riding the bandwagon.

And FYI Final Boss is a DM FPS name, if you ever played FPS before 2007 you would know how moronic it would sound as a CoD team.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exactly, Final Boss is one of the godfather's of e-sports in NA http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/esports/stories/1331652159714/the-godfathers-of-esports

Very dissapointed in how MLG has treated the Halo community in recent years(teasing Halo tournaments), I use to think they were the best and cared for our community, now I see they were just riding the bandwagon.

And FYI Final Boss is a DM FPS name, if you ever played FPS before 2007 you would know how moronic it would sound as a CoD team.

I also think it would be disrespectful to EG, at the time coL, too. Wouldn't be fair for MLG to force them into a brand after winning that much. They don't want to be Final Boss, they want to be their own dynasty.

I would cry. That would just be a slap in the face to the Halo community and to the legends that were on that team and made the name what it is. I have nothing against CoL/EG, but just no. They're really good at what they do, but not nearly on the same level as FB in H1 and H2.

This is like me saying I wanna play on the NBA but don't put me on TNT or ESPN, it not cool, it's not "rebelling" it's disrespectful. It doesn't make them cool, it makes them immature. MLG owns the rights to Final Boss, so they can do whatever they want with it.

Actually it's more like the NBA dropping basketball, picking up cricket, and then calling a team the "Las Vegas Pistons".

• Upvote (+1) 8

MLG likes to screw over their players it seems because they can. The big COD figures like Optic need to stand up, but I forgot Optic is basically in bed with them at this point.

I always refrain from comparing coL/EG to Final Boss, because I'm obviously biased towards Halo. They are 2 of the best dynasties in MLG history. Is coL/EG better or as good as FB? No idea.

I always refrain from comparing coL/EG to Final Boss, because I'm obviously biased towards Halo. They are 2 of the best dynasties in MLG history. Is coL/EG better or as good as FB? No idea.

If EG can win every event over the next year, then you can start comparing the two.

As a trio, Walshy/Ogre 2/Ogre 1 never placed outside of top 2 from when they teamed in HCE on Team Domination in 2004-early 2008(after the first H3 event), they also have way more wins and three national championships. CoL/EG is more comparable to Reach's Instinct if anything. EG needs a good rival to cement their legacy if anything, they need a Carbon to challenge the throne.

Does MLG own any other team names? 

If i'm not mistaken, they own rights to most if not all of the major teams. Afterall, they had the team picture packs, so that'd lead to SQ, FB, Instinct, Carbon, Str8 Rippin, Triggers Down, Darkest Hour etc...

• Upvote (+1) 1

People act surprised. They did monopolize the Halo scene in North America, I mean and they are sorta aiming to do that with Call of Duty. You can't really act shocked or upset, that's the business. It's a tough world out there, and more and more developers are doing the leagues/tournaments themselves or finding organizations outside of MLG so they are doing what's best to keep it alive.

Wow MLG power trip. 

Lol. How can you say that asking teams to stream on MLG.tv when they are playing in their league is a power trip?

Sounds like you're just regurgitating the tweets from EG without actually looking at what they were saying

Glad AF they didn't use Final Boss in the end though. While MLG have every right to use their own brand/logo, it should remain a tribute to a dynasty of FPS eSports.

To be fair, Sudds stole it from me in 2008.

ed91afcd73e63b5864215d097d8c7692.png

haha no way!

Shout out to sheer

10.   Arsenal               -     SheeeR         ToO_L1vE          Crow.149         Fearris

haha no way!

Shout out to sheer

10.   Arsenal               -     SheeeR         ToO_L1vE          Crow.149         Fearris

I presume they get top 4

• Upvote (+1) 5

oh booo....FA Cup counts haha

But just looks like MLG wants control of all the teams, doesn't surprise me.