CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Don't think so.

If we're comparing what we know Halo 5 will launch like to Halo 3  at launch then yes I agree. I don't think my issues with Halo 5 thus far:

• Sprint
  • Power weapons spawn too slowly
  • Non-traditional art
  • Non-traditional sound

Are worse than my issues with launch Halo 3:

•  Equipment in general
  • Specifically the radar hammer and flare
  • Slow base movement speed
  • Multiple useless, under-powered weapons (Pistol, AR, PR, Spiker, Sentinel Beam, SMG)
  • Half a dozen Maulers on the map at one time 
  • Maps with bad spawning 
  • Air-soft Rifle BR
  • Weak Powerups
  • Smaller individual skill gap
  • BR Spread
  • Hit detection
  • Some of the worst maps in Halo history (Snowbound, Isolation, Epitaph)

I love both games but what we've played of Halo 5 so far > Launch Halo 3. 

I get equipment isn't great for competitive play, but it's still a map pick up, which essentially makes them shitty power weapons. That's leagues better than any spartan ability. No one is forcing you to use radar jammer and flare, it's like picking up a spiker. Doesn't really take away from the game.

Base player speed from what we played in the beta doesn't seem any different from Halo 3, only its on huge maps. Not to mention excessive bullet magnetism making things like strafing much less effective.

Weaker weapon sandbox is a fair point. Too many maulers....sure, whatever. Not a huge deal but okay.

Spawning, I guess guess changes on what you prefer. Some people prefer Halo 1's ultra predictability, just depends really. I don't think many people had issue with H3's spawns. But H5's were good from what I've seen so far.

Weak powerups, sure. But we haven't even seen Halo 5 powerups so its not fair to say that this goes in favor towards Halo 5.

Smaller individual skill gap? This is based on so many other factors, seems like a blanket statement to me. I don't think this at all personally.. I think aiming and using the BR in H3 is one of the most difficult things to do in any Halo game (ty grid aiming lol)

BR spread. Sure.

Hit detection. This too. 343 has got some solid netcode with H4/H5.

Poor maps? You named 3, but I'd say Halo 3 had the best disc maps of any Halo game so far. Pit, Construct, Guardian, Narrows.. High Ground if youre into that sort of thing lol.

I don't think H5 is anywhere NEAR Halo 3 really. While you've got fewer offenders under your Halo 5 con list, I think the severity of Halo 5's flaws overshadow anything Halo 3 did wrong. The art style, audio engineering, and map design alone is enough to turn me off Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 is not a game to compare to H5 as far as map size goes. Narrows, Construct, and Pit were bigger than any of the maps in the H5 beta.

lolwut?

Bigshit and bigshit V2 were at least twice the size of Heretic...

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

lolwut?

He didn't say Bigship was smaller than Heretic, he said that some of the H5 maps are the same size as some H3 maps like NARROWS, CONSTRUCT and THE PIT

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

lolwut?

Notice where he quoted Heretic? You might want to show me, because I don't see it.

Some of you people will make up the most ridiculous straw men when H5 gives you plenty of ammunition either way.

The three maps he quoted are huge. Try walking from lobby to lobby on narrows and then tell me that is "small map"

Edit: Batchford beat me to it

• Upvote (+1) 2

The three maps he quoted are huge. Try walking from lobby to lobby on narrows and then tell me that is "small map"

>implying bigshit was better...

Construct? Only half of the map was ever used.

The Pit? Was always overrated...

And even then, all 3 of those maps played better and faster than anything in Halol 5:garbage...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

And even then, all 3 of those maps played better and faster than anything in Halol 5:garbage...

yeah, because default H3 played soooo much faster! with it's radar jammers, mauler camping and awful powerups all on slow ass dynamic timers...

you may not like Halo 5 sure, I hate some parts of the game as well, but that is just a ridiculous statement

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Competitive wise, H5 is better than H3 by a longshot tbh

Maybe you are right with this one (if they didn't mess up objective gametypes and powerups) but the thing it H3 is more of a Halo game than H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe you are right with this one (if they didn't mess up objective gametypes and powerups) but the thing it H3 is more of a Halo game than H5.

if we talk about a Halo game being a competitive shooter, then Halo 5 does a better job than Halo 3 ever will, Sprint or No Sprint

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

if we talk about a Halo game being a competitive shooter, then Halo 5 does a better job than Halo 3 ever will, Sprint or No Sprint

Debatable, shots actually registering doesn't really trump no-sprint,no spartan abilities, and no ADS. And this is coming from someone that really dislikes halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Debatable, shots actually registering doesn't really trump no-sprint,no spartan abilities, and no ADS. And this is coming from someone that really dislikes halo 3.

I didn't even mention the registration when I mentioned H3 but okay whatever good for you

• Downvote (-1) 2

I didn't even mention the registration when I mentioned H3 but okay whatever good for you

Getting a little defensive there kiddo. It's hard to take any of your posts seriously when you have contradicted yourself over and over and over for the past 6 months. Halo 5 is garbage. Halo 3 was garbage as well, but it was still halo at least.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You know that I hate both H5 and H3 but the big thing for me is that H3 at least had that Halo feeling. Competitive aspects mean much to me but it has to be a competitive Halo and I am just not feeling much Halo when I am playing H5...

If we would just care for competitive alone and gave a shit about the Halo feel to it we should just all switch to Quake.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I asked the question on HaloForum and I'll ask it again here because the answers are intriguing.

Would you still buy/play the game regardless if you liked it or not if there where life changes amount of money at stake in HCS? Say a $1 Million event just like cod champs. The COD scene absolutely hated ghosts but still played it regardless...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 3 was garbage as well, but it was still halo at least.

Define "Halo".

Halo CE is very different from Halo 2 which is quite different from Halo 3 as well (I'm assuming you don't consider Halo Reach-Halo 4 to be true Halo titles).

The "Golden Triangle" of Weapons, Melee and Grenades is consistent across all Halo titles and if you think that Sprint ruins the rule, well, in Halo 5 you can disable it just like you needed to disable equipment in Halo 3 so I don't see much difference except for Halo 3's bad hit registration.

You might argue that Halo 3 with equipment and bad timers is better than having sprint and all the other stuff in Halo 5 (which I wouldn't agree on having played the Beta), but the point is that it wouldn't make it more "Halo" than Halo 5: Guardians.

Would you still buy/play the game regardless if you liked it or not if there where life changes amount of money at stake in HCS? Say a $1 Million event just like cod champs. The COD scene absolutely hated ghosts but still played it regardless...

No way! Why would we do this? Halo was going downhill since Halo CE and the series is constantly getting worse. The developers are not focusing on the Halo formula and bringing back the Halo feeling to their games but trying to implement things that increase the chance in saling copys to CoD/Titanfall/Destiny players.

Define "Halo".

Halo CE is very different from Halo 2 which is quite different from Halo 3 as well (I'm assuming you don't consider Halo Reach-Halo 4 to be true Halo titles).

The "Golden Triangle" of Weapons, Melee and Grenades is consistent across all Halo titles and if you think that Sprint ruins the rule, well, in Halo 5 you can disable it just like you needed to disable equipment in Halo 3 so I don't see much difference except for Halo 3's bad hit registration.

You might argue that Halo 3 with equipment and bad timers is better than having sprint and all the other stuff in Halo 5 (which I wouldn't agree on having played the Beta), but the point is that it wouldn't make it more "Halo" than Halo 5: Guardians will be.

Yes, halo 1, 2, and 3 are all very different. But this "Golden Triangle" of halo that I've heard before doesn't do near a sufficient job of describing "halo". Having a toggle option for sprint literally does nothing. The game is designed around sprint and all of these armor abilities, being able to toggle them off doesn't do anything other than splinter the community. Could you get halo 5 to feel like a halo game with all of the garbage turned off, pretty close, although ADS is another big problem with it, oh and the maps being designed for sprint and clamber. And no i don't consider halo 4 to be a true halo title, nor halo reach, although I do think the gameplay of NBNS Reach was the best since halo 2, just suffered from terrible maps and an already dwindling community.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I asked the question on HaloForum and I'll ask it again here because the answers are intriguing.

In the event that Halo 5 launches and I hate it? Personally, no. There are too many games I DO want to play to buy one I don't like just to support the developer who made it in a way that I don't like. That would be the opposite of productive, IMO. Still, I'd imagine most of the competitive Halo scene will also play Halo 5 whether they like it or not, so the communities probably aren't so different.

With 1 Million dollars on the line, you can bet A LOT of people will buy and grind the shit out of the game to get that 1 Mill, personally? I dont think so.

No. That's like asking if people would pay attention in school and get a job that guarantees far more than one million dollars even if they didn't like the subject material/job. Seems like an easy decision right? Well most people don't do that even though most have a clear path straight to that lifestyle through hard work and dedication. 

although ADS is another big problem with it

Everyone just spits this one out with any reasoning. Other than a slightly more obstructed view, what is the issue with Smart Scope? Someone enlighten me because I think it was extremely well executed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah, because default H3 played soooo much faster!

I really don't like Halo 3, but saying that Halo 5 plays faster is just ridiculous. It's extremely slow paced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, halo 1, 2, and 3 are all very different. But this "Golden Triangle" of halo that I've heard before doesn't do near a sufficient job of describing "halo". Having a toggle option for sprint literally does nothing. The game is designed around sprint and all of these armor abilities, being able to toggle them off doesn't do anything other than splinter the community. Could you get halo 5 to feel like a halo game with all of the garbage turned off, pretty close, although ADS is another big problem with it, oh and the maps being designed for sprint and clamber. And no i don't consider halo 4 to be a true halo title, nor halo reach, although I do think the gameplay of NBNS Reach was the best since halo 2, just suffered from terrible maps and an already dwindling community.

So what is Halo to you? I'm sure if someone asked you in 2002 you'd say "controlling the weapons, controlling the maps, the golden triangle, button combos, nading weapons, three shot pistol, projectile based weapons and fast spawning  ups" and then in 2005 you'd say it's "controlling the weapons, controlling the maps, the golden triangle and and button combos" and then in 2008 you'd say "controlling the weapons, controlling the maps and the golden triangle" 

The fact is, there is no core gameplay fundamental that Halo 1, 2 and 3 has that Halo 5 doesn't also have. 

And you might not like the new gameplay fundamental they added (Spartan Abilities), not every one will like every new feature added to a game, but that doesn't mean it's "not Halo". 

• Upvote (+1) 2