CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The changes will make map flow more predictable for those rooms that have too many points of entry/escape. Using the beta version of Empire as an example: 

• You had two entry points from the outer platform (door + window)
  • You had two entry points from the hallway (upper platform + lower stair)
  • You had three entry points from the courtyard (DMR plat + lower stair + window)

We felt that the porousness of the room made for too many vectors of attack/escape. Changes address this, improving focus and flow while preserving the character of the map. This is one of the benefits of shipping a beta so early: making meaningful improvements that wouldn't be possible in the shutdown phase of production.

So have you guys decided on which entry way you block off? 

Also I think this philosophy would work wonders on Eden. Adding a giant sightline blocker would perhaps remove some of the campiness on that maps because with light rifles, DMR's a sniper and such a wide open map (plus a BR that's got a long range) it was some times the best strategy to just not move. Same for Orion IMO. 

Also I think this philosophy would work wonders on Eden. Adding a giant sightline blocker would perhaps remove some of the campiness on that maps because with light rifles, DMR's a sniper and such a wide open map (plus a BR that's got a long range) it was some times the best strategy to just not move. Same for Orion IMO. 

Plans are in motion, but I won't speak for @@Deez on details. We'll likely share some fly-through videos before launch to show changes to the beta maps as well as the other maps that haven't been shown yet.

• Upvote (+1) 5

We only have dedicated servers for MP in Halo 5: Guardians. That's true for matchmaking AND customs. There is no P2P.

Wait. So customs games will also have dedicated server? Niiiiice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We only have dedicated servers for MP in Halo 5: Guardians. That's true for matchmaking AND customs. There is no P2P.

chris-pratt-gif-2.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8

This is huge.

One last question, any word on Bullet Magnetism being lowered in the final build? In the Beta, I got lots of questionable 4 shots and noscopes with the Sniper when my reticle was nowhere near the target. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

HQKqiuf.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6

It was always the best strategy to never move. Blocking sightlines doesn't fix the problem. Teams would just camp closer to each other. That combined with massively powerful pickups might fix the issue. But the pickups would have to be near guaranteed kills to move from the safety of camping.

The problem is so bad in Halo 5 because of thrusters + sprint that the best option might be just to cut out Team Slayer from tournaments all together.

Custom games being on dedicated servers enrages me instead of making me happy. In MCC you can't even join custom games in progress but they have custom games in Halo 5 running on dedis? I'm sure that 343 is planning a party for the day when they can stop support on the MCC because the 2 interns they have working on it could be getting them coffee instead.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

All good if you can't discuss it. Any news on theatre being returned to H3 functionality? As in, a working file system, saveable clips, etc.

Beta was very early and still rough. Lots of improvements, tuning & bug fixing going into the weapons and the core shooting and this will continue right up until launch.

Thanks for the reply Josh!

All good if you can't discuss it. Any news on theatre being returned to H3 functionality? As in, a working file system, saveable clips, etc.

and the necessary....4 player theater (or more since the hardware could/should be able to do that)

• Upvote (+1) 2

That kind of worries me. What happens if the servers go down for whatever reason or the game inevitably stops being supported and the servers go off? There won't be any p2p connections for backup?

• Upvote (+1) 1

That kind of worries me. What happens if the servers go down for whatever reason or the game inevitably stops being supported and the servers go off? There won't be any p2p connections for backup?

I didn't see nor have I heard about titanfall having these issues...I think this should be the least of your concern at the moment..

and the necessary....4 player theater (or more since the hardware could/should be able to do that)

Holy shit if they can't have a 16 player theater i'll be shocked.

We felt that the porousness of the room made for too many vectors of attack/escape. Changes address this, improving focus and flow while preserving the character of the map. This is one of the benefits of shipping a beta so early: making meaningful improvements that wouldn't be possible in the shutdown phase of production.

Does that mean the windows allowing RED/BLUE 2 to top mid on bigship is getting removed? And having having 2 jump ups + a lift from RED/BLUE1 to 2?

They were some of the most offensively bad pieces of map "design" I have seen in a long while.