CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Pretty much done with h2 classic again until they fix melee's. BXR's are way too easy for some reason too - you can shoot them in the feet and it will still kill them in one hit. Not like OG xbox. Melee's almost never register for me to the point where I don't even bother going in for them anymore. I constantly hold back when I see a player by instinct now.

Fix the fucking game to what we played in 04 instead of this garbage, broken Vista port.

Rank images are confirmed placeholders.

As for weapon timers, Pegasus had weapons spawning on the following intervals.

Start: Rockets + Snipe

1 Min: None

2 min: Snipe

3 Min: Rockets

4: Snipe

5: None

6: Rocks + Snipe

And repeat. This worked pretty well IMO

Bump all these down by 30 secs so Snipers spawn every 90 seconds, rockets every 2.5 mins, add power ups that spawn every 90 seconds and the game would be so much better. 

Snip

Every thing you write is always  :goat:

In terms of range, the rifles should be: SMG < AR < Pistol < BR < DMR = LR

Right now it's SMG = AR = Pistol... 

The spread increases for SMG & AR will help, but Magnum still needs a better in-scope experience. The gap between it and BR is too big. @@Vetoed brought up a good reason why it should stay as a 5-shot though. 

Every weapon can use less bullet magnetism though. 

In terms of range, the rifles should be: SMG < AR < Pistol < BR < DMR = LR

Right now it's SMG = AR = Pistol... 

The spread increases for SMG & AR will help, but Magnum still needs a better in-scope experience. The gap between it and BR is too big. @@Vetoed brought up a good reason why it should stay as a 5-shot though. 

Every weapon can use less bullet magnetism though. 

I think Magnum should be 4sk, stronger than what it is right now, but not an optimal mid/long-range tool like the precision rifles. The Magnum isn't viable enough vs. ARs at the intended range, and hard enough to use to warrant a damage buff vs. other precision rifles. Smart Scope AR does a better job than Magnum right now.

The most important thing that would help Halo 5 would be to increase the BR spread. The first time I fired it, it felt like a single shot. Definitely one, if not the most over powered weapons in all the Halo games.

I could consistently 4 shot people from across the map and it led to extreme campiness. It made high ground feel like a non advantage and made the power weapons not as important. The BR in the Halo 5 beta truly felt like a power weapon and I can't believe I'm saying that.

What's the point of limiting people with randomness, even more so when the weapon in question doesn't see variations in its RoF? It's a static burst and there's nothing you can do even influence it, which is worse than bloom. At least with the DMR bloom, you could reset spread and secure a headshot. Static spread just means that at range, there's a chance your bullets will circle around someone's face and there's nothing you can do about it.

However, I agree that the BR felt like a single shot weapon and it was a complaint of mine. I thought a good approach to it would be to reduce the rate of fire within each individual burst (all 3 shots come out more distanced from one another), and making it require to "paint a target" for a longer period of time overall. Of course, this has to be done while taking into consideration it's current time to kill so it doesn't end up taking forever to kill someone either. I don't have damage data on Halo 5, but it should also take all 12 bullets/4 entire bursts to hit to score a perfect kill (in case it's 10 or 11 or something, doubt it is, but it's possible).

Bump all these down by 30 secs so Snipers spawn every 90 seconds, rockets every 2.5 mins, add power ups that spawn every 90 seconds and the game would be so much better. 

rockets every 2.5 mins? you mean 2 minutes right? like CE???

rockets every 2.5 mins? you mean 2 minutes right? like CE???

Nah. Rockets spawning every 2 mins in CE worked because the pistol was so powerful. For Halo 5 they'd have to really buff the BR to make it work (which I'm down for personally). 

Nah. Rockets spawning every 2 mins in CE worked because the pistol was so powerful. For Halo 5 they'd have to really buff the BR to make it work (which I'm down for personally). 

It worked in the Beta so it should work in the full game

They spawned every two minutes?

yes, if Regret was playing Strongholds Rockets would be 2 minutes bottom mid, same with Pegasus except it was top mid

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not sure if this was posted but I was scouring the interwebs and came across this new Gamesradar article on Halo 5.

"To its credit, 343 Industries isn't just listening – it’s willing to change the fundamental shape of the maps to address the concerns of its fanbase. “One thing we learned from the beta is that some areas have too many entry points,” says Holmes. “This was most keenly felt in objectives games in Empire – there were so many ways to get in and out of the bases that it was impossible to properly guard them all. So we made the decision to close some of these points off, so the game feels more deliberate and structured.” 

Link: http://www.gamesradar.com/how-343s-changing-halo-5-after-beta/ 

Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

On one hand its good because I did feel like maps had too many entry/exit points.

On the other hand, "closing off" sounds like less cross-mapping more clusterfucky gameplay ala Blackout's failed iteration of Lockout. The maps need to be opened up more to support team shotting and/or teamwork. I felt it was really hard to respond to callouts and help teammates unless you were in the same room or really close to them.

All in all I feel like Halo 5 was supportive of "run together or with your team mates side to side" because of how closed off and segregated the maps were. I felt like butt-buddying ws promoted and map-wide setups weren't viable enough.

So really not sure what to make of this announcement.

If it were up to me, I would open the maps up in certain areas (such as being able to see across the map on Regret and Truth), but reduce the number of doors/entry points for bases like in Truth's basement area. I think creating more deadends might just punish those trying to sprint away.

The maps need to be opened up more to support team shotting and/or teamwork. 

we really should not be promoting that, teamshooting is awful 

I'm not sure if this was posted but I was scouring the interwebs and came across this new Gamesradar article on Halo 5.

"To its credit, 343 Industries isn't just listening – it’s willing to change the fundamental shape of the maps to address the concerns of its fanbase. “One thing we learned from the beta is that some areas have too many entry points,” says Holmes. “This was most keenly felt in objectives games in Empire – there were so many ways to get in and out of the bases that it was impossible to properly guard them all. So we made the decision to close some of these points off, so the game feels more deliberate and structured.” 

I think this is bad; I'll keep this short. These maps are already suffering from being so convoluted in the first place. The only thing this is going to do is give us even LESS lines of sight than we already have. This has been a problem since Halo Reach where maps are just geometric clusterfucks with no lines of sight whatsoever.

That being said, too hard to guard? Are you kidding? On empire there were only like 4/5 ways to get into the base if I remember correctly (The front window, the attic next to the window, door from snipe spawn, and tower side had two doors right next to each other). This is too complicated to guard?? Oh my god poor you, you have to look in more than one area to guard a base. :(

Even if there is 5 different "entrances" all of these entrances can be guarded by looking three different directions... The FRONT (attic and window practically right next to each other)... The sniper side... and the tower side (both doors are literally NEXT to each other) AKA In front of you, to the left, and to the right. 

This is the type of changes I do NOT like seeing to be honest. They will cater to a request that a map is "Too hard to guard" because they can't look in more than one direction at a time and delegate a change that will make it easier in which they only have to stare at one or two doors. This "walk in straight lines" logic is killing me. God forbid you need to check another direction.

If each base was on an open platform like an island, we can talk, but I personally thought Empire was one of the better maps. But like I said, maybe I'm the minority in this thought process.

Power ups are maybe worth getting. Rockets are absolutely not worth picking up on HeH because you will be shooting people from long range 90% of the time. Sniper isn't worth going for either because it's too exposed and because it's too easy to pick off the sniper guy on that map as there aren't many lines of sight you can try and use to conceal yourself.

sounds like someone who doesnt know anything about h1 and plays it like later halo games. The rocket launcher is the most important tool in H1 outside of your pistol. Not getting rockets on any map, against players that know what they are doing is the same as putting your controller on the floor and watching the screen.

Now...regarding the difficulty you seem to have in acquiring these weapons, thus making your matches with other players turn into stalemates....you and those other guys are doing it wrong...very wrong...and it's most likely not your fault, you're just unaware of how to play the game properly.

you don't walk out in the open on the catwalks to grab rockets/sniper....this isn't halo 3 where bullets don't do shit after a certain range. You have to get camo first or use nade tricks...

sigh...do your homework on h1 before making comments like these, regardless of your experience. It's very ignorant to make claims about how a map plays because of your inability to play it properly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To their credit, the one thing 343 does not do is "listen" or let alone "communicate"

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

To their credit, the one thing 343 does not do is "listen" or let alone "communicate"

to be fair, Holmes has been here recently talking with us.

Either August or September. The art book is releasing in August, and the last one coincided with H4's launch.

But a mainline Halo has either launched in September or November. September seems the most likely. 

But a mainline Halo has either launched in September or November. September seems the most likely. 

It does, but an August launch makes a great amount of sense because it would have absolutely no competition for at least a month.