CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

@@Sal1ent

I might be alone here, but I really dislike the names of the ranked tiers "Semi Pro" and "Pro". They just sound really lame to me, why not with such a fantastic universe make some awesome names for the tiers? Something like:

Bronze

Silver

Gold

Onyx

Promethean

Elite

That would sound awesome. Or use something like

Grunt

Marine

Promethean

Elite

Spartan

Forerunner

There's just so many different things you could do. "Semi Pro" and "Pro" are relics from MLG's old stages and they sounds so cringeworthy to me. League of Legends has "Masters" and "Challenger" they sound awesome and worthy. 

As I said, I could be alone in this but I just think you can do so much better.

That...

...is such a waypoint idea...

• Upvote (+1) 2

That...

...is such a waypoint idea...

And?

While I do want to keep the Magnum as a difficult weapon to use, I think it was a little too punishing in the beta and could do with a slightly longer red reticle range. It doesn't have enough power behind it to make up for how easy the BR and DMR were to use. A less realistic option would be to make the BR and DMR much more difficult to use.

Spawn us with a tuned Magnum, and put 1 or 2 of each scoped gun on the maps.

The problem that Halo 3+ has suffered from is the Assault Rifle's power. In Halo 1 it's barely useful, only quick camo is really it's use, unless you're big on the sauce. But Halo 3/R/4/5 the AR is extremely powerful (comparatively) and the BR and DMR are balanced alongside it instead of being on their own teir. 

Halo 4 especially the AR was balanced to be on par with the Carbine, BR, DMR, LR and other crap. They have carried this over to Halo 5, where I think the BR/DMR should be much more powerful (at the cost of being harder to use) than the AR.

Just some splattering thoughts there.

Off topic but fuck I hate that guy...

How is he even in the industry after he single handedly destroyed Forzas community?

And?

AS in terrible, childish and for the derpers...

• Downvote (-1) 2

Off topic but fuck I hate that guy...

How is he even in the industry after he single handedly destroyed Forzas community?

explain

So you'd rather have "half-pro" and "pro" MLG 2008 obselete style instead of something actually contextualised in the universe? 

So you'd rather have "half-pro" and "pro" MLG 2008 obselete style instead of something actually contextualised in the universe? 

100%

What happens if you are talking to someone who doesn't know the game but wants to know what rank you are? Yea bro! I'm a forunner bro! Hey guy? Why are you walking away?

explain

The tweet?

• Upvote (+1) 1

100%

What happens if you are talking to someone who doesn't know the game but wants to know what rank you are? Yea bro! I'm a forunner bro! Hey guy? Why are you walking away?

"What level are you?"

"Pro"

"Oh so you get paid to play?"

"No?"

"But you said you're pro?"

"No it's a rank."

"But you're not paid?"

"No."

"So you're not pro?"

"No I am in the game."

"So you are paid?"

Pro = Professional. Gaming is your profession. You get paid to play it. "Semi-pro" has always been a terrible term for someone not yet at pro status. Iron, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Onyx works. Universe specific ranks could indeed sound stupid, but nothing to me will ever sound as tryhard as "semi pro".

Pro = Professional. Gaming is your profession. You get paid to play it. "Semi-pro" has always been a terrible term for someone not yet at pro status. Iron, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Onyx works. Universe specific ranks could indeed sound stupid, but nothing to me will ever sound as tryhard as "semi pro".

Number of people who use the term "pro" correctly in the video game world.

"What level are you?"

"Pro"

"Oh so you get paid to play?"

"No?"

"But you said you're pro?"

"No it's a rank."

"But you're not paid?"

"No."

"So you're not pro?"

"No I am in the game."

"So you are paid?"

I think the name "pro" division is actually perfect. Since only the best 200 can be pro at a given time you know that when someone is pro he belongs to the absolute elite, and his placing can actually be contested in comparison to the other tiers where you only need to grind hard enough.

Pro meaning "getting paid to play" is a terrible definition because this would invalidate the meaning of "pros" in just about every case where players do not get a fixed salary, which is the case for more or less anything with the exception of the mass appeal sports like football, basketball, soccer etc.

Especially in Halo's case, nobody gets a "salary". Maybe they have a sponsor or two that supports them, but this is not the same thing. Income from streaming isn't a salary either. Furthermore, how many pro's actually make over the minimum wage when looking at it over the course of a year?

If anything, having a clear cut "matchmaking elite" might bridge the gap between being good at lan and actually placing at events.

Now I'm not saying if you get a pro ranking in matchmaking EG is gonna come looking for you, but before people really did not have much to gather from if someone was a good player or not if they didn't get lucky and randomly get into a good team.

Playing Team Slayer at Tier 1 is going to a pain in the ass to say the least.

Here we come 11-5 final score games WOOOOHOOOO

Playing Team Slayer at Tier 1 is going to a pain in the ass to say the least.

Here we come 11-5 final score games WOOOOHOOOO

Got a Halo 5 clip somewhere where I out BR the same 2 kids like 5 times in a row and they thrust to safety every single time lol.

Number of people who use the term "pro" correctly in the video game world.

I think the name "pro" division is actually perfect. 

Alright, I was wrong, people are ok with the tier names. If the majority is happy then I won't argue further.

Got a Halo 5 clip somewhere where I out BR the same 2 kids like 5 times in a row and they thrust to safety every single time lol.

I see the only way of killing people in that game is constantly grouping up in pairs of 2 & 3 to kill people.  Other then that they're going to get away every single time, sprint being in the game is bad enough but then makes thruster & clamber bad game mechanics.  If sprint wasn't in the game then I guess I wouldn't care about thruster and clamber being there but with sprint being there enables all the other player functions to become passive an annoying.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I see the only way of killing people in that game is constantly grouping up in pairs of 2 & 3 to kill people.  Other then that they're going to get away every single time, sprint being in the game is bad enough but then makes thruster & clamber bad game mechanics.  If sprint wasn't in the game then I guess I wouldn't care about thruster and clamber being there but with sprint being there enables all the other player functions to become passive an annoying.

According to 343, team work is clusterfucking in a tiny group of 4 players at all times.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And?

The problem that Halo 3+ has suffered from is the Assault Rifle's power. In Halo 1 it's barely useful, only quick camo is really it's use, unless you're big on the sauce. But Halo 3/R/4/5 the AR is extremely powerful (comparatively) and the BR and DMR are balanced alongside it instead of being on their own teir. 

Halo 4 especially the AR was balanced to be on par with the Carbine, BR, DMR, LR and other crap. They have carried this over to Halo 5, where I think the BR/DMR should be much more powerful (at the cost of being harder to use) than the AR.

Just some splattering thoughts there.

343's ARs have been very powerful, and I believe they're balanced, but I believe the H5 AR is too powerful to spawn with for how easy it is to ue. During the first week of the beta, I noticed that people used their AR a ton, to the point where Pro-ranked players would have it as their tool of destruction. Gameplay became very spray and pray on Empire, but it became a pain hunting down the BRs and DMRs on Truth due to the extreme lines of sight.

It's just frustrating to have such a limiting weapon off spawn, regardless of how much it shreds up close.

343's ARs have been very powerful, and I believe they're balanced, but I believe the H5 AR is too powerful to spawn with for how easy it is to ue. During the first week of the beta, I noticed that people used their AR a ton, to the point where Pro-ranked players would have it as their tool of destruction. Gameplay became very spray and pray on Empire, but it became a pain hunting down the BRs and DMRs on Truth due to the extreme lines of sight.

It's just frustrating to have such a limiting weapon off spawn, regardless of how much it shreds up close.

I can agree with this. It's too easy to use because they're trying to make it the default spawn weapon AND make it useful. Just make us spawn with BR/AR. I honestly never understood by Halo 3/Reach never had DMR/BR as spawn weapons WITH the assault rifle as then you could pick the playstyle you want every game and everyone is happy. Instead Halo 3 (and for arguments sucking F***ing SMG starts) became a "hunt for BRs" to start the game, which is a shit way to play a game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

According to 343, team work is clusterfucking in a tiny group of 4 players at all times.

This statement wouldn't bother me but we have maps like Bigship & Bigship v2 in the mix.  lol

Snip

I agree with every point you made wholeheartedly.

The reason we aren't getting any dialogue between Josh, Frankie / 343 ect is because to them it's much more important to capture that 'casual' cod market than actually make a proper fluid classic halo game. It's so obvious that it actually makes me cringe every time they post because they obviously don't engage in these debates because they've already made up their mind on their vision for halo. They're only in here to talk about minor tweaks and changes which honestly doesn't matter to me because halo 5 is clearly not a halo game. It has aspects of halo in it but at it's core it's not halo which is all we ever wanted. 

People do need to come to terms with the fact that these studio heads don't want to change their vision or plan to suit the 'small' dedicated competitive players because they think their market lies in casuals which is the worst mistake they can make. 

When people are pleased to see that they've included an option to toggle sprint ect, it's simply not good enough. We know that if the vanilla game is not a competitive fun game it will not succeed to what it needs to. 

I know it hurts to read but best case scenario is that halo 5 flops and we get a new studio for halo 6... :(

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Take this counter-example; Imagine giving the CE pistol a 3x zoom without changing anything else about the game. People would still be moving around the map due to power items spawning so frequently and because the weapon's average and perfect kill time are so far apart. When you talk about a DMR being placed into Halo CE with it's long kill time and identical average/perfect kill times, you're changing many more variables than just the weapon's range. 

It sounds like your gripes are more with a utility weapon's zoom than its range. The CE pistol is most definitely a long ranged weapon; I can 3sk people from top red to top blue consistently on Hang 'em. No other utility weapon in the Halo series can do that. Still though, range does not negatively impact map movement in that game because there are many incentives to move. The DMR's range alone does not do this either, but rather the equality of the weapon's minnimum and average kill time, in addition to the lack of incentive to move around the map. 

No one ever moves anywhere on Hang 'em High.

• Downvote (-1) 5

No one ever moves anywhere on Hang 'em High.

Log. C'mon man. You're making yourself look stupid. You can do better than that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

AR/Magnum will work if the Magnum's range is buffed enough so that it can compete with the rifles. As long as the difficult balance stays I think that would turn out for the best.

As for the ranks I'm not keen on Pro/Semi-Pro - they sound quite contrived in a matchmaking setting. I'd rather see Master, Grandmaster, Challenger, Elite, or heck even Spartan. Anything that signifies excellence without feeding the constant misappropriation of the terms currently used. Snazzier icons for most divisions would be nice too - Reach's Onyx icon was gorgeous.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Log. C'mon man. You're making yourself look stupid. You can do better than that.

When I'm playing, everyone just sits at either base. It's just how it is.

• Downvote (-1) 1

When I'm playing, everyone just sits at either base. It's just how it is.

It's funny how a game of Halo CE with 4 players on maps as large as hang 'em plays faster than a game of halo 3 with twice as many players on maps as small as Narrows. Ever wonder why? Because there is a greater incentive to move around the map.

Your personal experience alone is irrelevant when determining whether or not map movement is viable in a halo game, I'm sorry. It's just how it is.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Your personal experience alone is irrelevant when determining whether or not map movement is viable in a halo game, I'm sorry. It's just how it is.

Not to me it isn't. What a stupid ass comment.

Random opinions based on reading last page

- H5 def needs faster timers, at least on the asymmetric maps. High level play can get pretty campy. Or at least stagger the timers so there is a weapon every minute or something.

- I like the current rank names. They provide a clear representation of the skill distribution, even to outsiders. I wouldn't want it cluttered with random #lore names just to spice things up. Just thinking of it reminds me of CSGOs ranking system which is convoluted imo.

- ranks definitely need better icons, reach's looked pretty cool. Hell I tried my heart out for onyx because it looked and sounded so cool. In H5 it was just a black shape. Hope they were placeholders.

• Upvote (+1) 1