CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Will HCS be using BR or DMR start?

I hope its DMR start.

Unless it's retaining the incredibly huge bullet magnetism that it had in beta. In which case, I'd take Light Rifle starts any day.

Will HCS be using BR or DMR start?

I hope its DMR start.

Probably the BR, just because it's a BR.

• Upvote (+1) 7

We know they are tweaking the DMR, or at least it's scoped in view, so it may feel better in the final product.

I'd probably enjoy it more if it was a 4sk.

We know they are tweaking the DMR, or at least it's scoped in view, so it may feel better in the final product.

I'd probably enjoy it more if it was a 4sk.

It doesn't matter how good they make the other precision rifles, we had this exact same situation in Halo 4.

It doesn't matter how good they make the other precision rifles, we had this exact same situation in Halo 4.

The rationalization I've had in my head is that it I don't enjoy the other rifles because it's harder to get kills with them. The CE pistol has this crazy killing potential behind it that makes it worth learning, also the reason the sniper is such a popular weapon, and it's that lack of potential that makes the DMR and H4 Lightrifle less popular. Adding that 3sk to the scoped in H5 Lightrifle is a great change.

This has been said many times before, but I wish there were a set of custom options where we could tweak damage modifiers for each individual weapon, would be very fun to play around with, would also eliminate the need for patches to balance weapons post-release.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All of the weapons in H5 look terrible.

343's art manager should pull up google images and remind the art team what guns in this universe actually look like.

Because guns 500 years in the future will look the same.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because guns 500 years in the future will look the same.

Because suddenly 500 years in the future, the military will decide that completely unpractical weapon and armor designs are totally worth it in order too look 'modern'.

Because suddenly 500 years in the future, the military will decide that completely unpractical weapon and armor designs are totally worth it in order too look 'modern'.

You think the old designs were practical?

Human weapons have almost always looked terrible.

Light Rilfe should be the starting weapon, soooo much more skillful.

nah pistol that has been buffed to a 4sk breh

• Upvote (+1) 1

You think the old designs were practical?

Human weapons have almost always looked terrible.

Well, in h1, it's basically just some sort of futuristic spin on practical weapons that are around today. Pistol, shotgun, etc. H2 weapons are similar, nothing too fancy; worst is probably the smg because of the weird clip it uses. H3 starts looking a little clunky, but still nothing I would laugh at. Reach has the best aesthetics in my opinion. Great mix of futuristic weapons that I could actually believe a military would actually design and use.

Halo 4 and 5 just look so stupid. I literally laughed when I first saw the H5 BR. It went from a gun I could imagine someone using to a gun from some anime. I hate all the 45 degree angles in the human weapons now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 4 and 5 just look so stupid. I literally laughed when I first saw the H5 BR. It went from a gun I could imagine someone using to a gun from some anime. I hate all the 45 degree angles in the human weapons now.

11.jpg

H4-Concept-BR85HBSR.jpg

FAMAS_menu_icon_MW2.pngwhen halo 4 came out, Famas was the first thing to mind

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@Sal1ent:

I would like to post a few suggestions for improvements to the betrayal logic for H5.  I am very much a fan of friendly fire (I think it is an important part of the game), however, I would like to see some improvements in how the game handles betrayals.  These are meant to be more food-for-thought than anything else.  If there is a way to significantly improve the betrayal logic for H5, I would strongly recommend it.

Set A:  Things that should not count toward a betrayal booting threshold.

1. You cannot betray a teammate occupying your own vehicle via splash damage.  You're driving a Wraith with a gunner.  Wraith is damaged - near death.  You shoot an enemy with the main cannon.  Splash damage blows up your Wraith.  This should not count toward a boot threshold.

2. If you kill / damage an enemy concurrently with a betrayal, that event should not count toward the threshold for the first occurrence in a match. Subsequent occurrences should add to the friendly fire total.  KoTH on Ragnarok.  Three enemies in the hill.  Fire a rocket, blow them up . . . along with a friendly climbing the hill.

3. Unoccupied vehicle damage does not count toward the threshold for the first occurrence in a match.  Eject from badly damaged Banshee. Banshee falls and crushes teammate. 

4.  Betrayal threshold determined by betrayal events for the first occurrence in the match.  Two Hogs.  One fully-loaded friendly, one enemy.  Fire rocket at enemy.  Friendly drives in front of rocket.  Currently, that's 3 betrayals.  Should just be one.  Both this and #2 / 3 must be limited in some fashion; otherwise, they would be free methods to betray without consequences.

5. Melee attacks cause no damage to friendlies.  This is one aspect of FF that can be dispensed with. Friendly fire is there to make play a bit more "realistic". There's no added realism with the chance of trying to punch an enemy, but accidentally punching a teammate instead. Melee attacks on friendlies are virtually always intentional, and no gameplay aspect is lost by eliminating that ability . . . other than the teammates who like to punch you in the back for power weapons.

Set B:  Things that do not currently count toward the betrayal threshold, but should.

1. EMPing an occupied, friendly vehicle automatically exceeds the betrayal threshold if the vehicle is either (a.) full; (b.) not boarded by the EMPing player before the EMP ends; or, (c.) is destroyed or boarded by enemy players while EMP'd.  The only reason to EMP a friendly vehicle is to get in it as a gunner or passenger. If you're not close enough to immediately board it, you're griefing. This type of griefing occurs all of the time currently, as it is a free way to betray teammates.

2. Blowing up / damaging your own vehicles (within some reasonable distance of initial spawn) - even if unoccupied - automatically exceeds the betrayal threshold if it occurs within the first 10 seconds of the match.  It takes some time for enemies to reach your base. Anyone plasma nading their own vehicles within that timespan is griefing. I have not seen an exception to this. The window needs to be small - 10 seconds is plenty - because there are definitely strategic reasons to blow up unoccupied vehicles later on. But right at the beginning of the game, there is no reason other than griefing.

3. The "Grif" suggestion: the first time a betrayal threshold is exceeded, boot is not an option.  Instead, the betraying player (if not forgiven) appears as orange to all friendly players, with aim assist / magnetism is enabled (but not for him - he sees no status change himself). Teammates are able to freely shoot him without adding to their friendly damage. After he's killed 3 times, his status resets. This acts as a disincentive to deliberately betray. Booting does not provide the same disincentive, as booting does not affect your K/D. If he subsequently exceeds the friendly damage threshold in the same match, the option to boot appears, as the disincentive has obviously been insufficient.

General vehicle damage suggestions.

1. Make entering friendly vehicles (tanks, specifically) as gunner easier. If the vehicle is occupied, getting in as gunner should not cause the driver to have to stop and wait lest he inadvertently kill you (or make you want to EMP it to avoid that problem). I don't attempt to get in as a Scorpion or Wraith gunner very often because doing so often ends in a suicide. If the vehicle is occupied, all you should have to do is run up to the side (just like you'd board it normally) and be given the option to be gunner. You should not have to climb atop it and lose most of your shields just to occupy the turret.

2. Improve the splatter logic. If the relative velocity of the vehicle to player is too high, boarding should not be an option. I've been boarded in Banshees while boosting, and that should not be able to happen. On the other hand, if it is below a certain threshold, it should not cause damage (the Ghost-tap = betrayal should be eliminated).

• Upvote (+1) 1

5. Melee attacks cause no damage to friendlies.  This is one aspect of FF that can be dispensed with. Friendly fire is there to make play a bit more "realistic". There's no added realism with the chance of trying to punch an enemy, but accidentally punching a teammate instead. Melee attacks on friendlies are virtually always intentional, and no gameplay aspect is lost by eliminating that ability . . . other than the teammates who like to punch you in the back for power weapons.

I completely agree with this except for when a melee weapon is being used. For all weapons other than swords and hammers, it's a good choice IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I completely agree with this except for when a melee weapon is being used. For all weapons other than swords and hammers, it's a good choice IMO.

I was intending that to mean fists only.  Weapons are a different story.

I was intending that to mean fists only.  Weapons are a different story.

Meh, I've seen some accidental back smacks happen that net me a kill and save my life. Granted, it's hilarious when it happens and it's not that often, but I don't feel like all weaponless melees need to be rid of FF.

If you look at most things in relation to trolling/greifing... it's all situational. Normally there aren't any enemies within close proximity, multiple shots are aimed at a player, multiple melees have to connect, etc... Normally a friendly has to be hit more than once to kill, unless it's with a power weapon, so just put in an algorithm that takes those first things that are obvious into account and weigh them heavier towards the booting threshold.

The difficulty comes with Rockets, Sniper, and other one hit kill weapons. If you betray someone with 1 sniper headshot across the map, it might have been on purpose, but then again, you can't apply the same parameters to the situation. It was only one hit, the friendly might have been engaged with an enemy, or a crazy ricochet bullet may have brained your teammate. Bad luck happens sometimes, with power weapons, so just don't weigh the act as heavily.

Then you also have the people who keep their team mates weak if they are holding a power weapon and waiting for an enemy to finish them off. I'd rather see someone get some sort of penalty for constantly keeping their teammate one shot and not killing them than remove the thing that allows them to do so. Friendly fire can be a good/fun thing if it's not abused. So instead of removing the fun aspects of the game, just put things in place to prevent the abuse of them. Figure out ways that people abuse the mechanic and then implement a way to detect and enforce a penalty. It's sort of like a speeding ticket... Don't take away the fast cars from the people who enjoy them responsibly, just punish those who don't do it responsibly... Obviously you can't responsibly hit your own team mate, but you get the general idea.

How about killing a team mate who has sniper results in instant boot option?

As for primary rifle arguments everything other than the BR should have more difficulty and killing potential. All previous titlea have messed this up, making the increased difficulty disproportionate to increased (if it even was in increased) killing potential. The best example of this is BR vs Carbine; the carbine is a high RoF single shot (much more skill-requiring for perfect kills), yet only kills a fraction faster, and I believe in some titles slower? than the BR, which is why 99% of people use the BR- the carbine skill requirement just isn't worth the reward.

Single shot weapons are always going to be harder to use, and most importantly be harder to stay consistent with - it takes a lot of focus to remain fast and accurate (body then headshot) with singleshot, than with a burst-fire weapon (body then swipe over face area).

With this in mind, single shots HAVE to kill noticibly faster than burst weapons for them to be worth picking up.

I think balancing non-perfect kills is important too, like will a missed DMR shot compared to a missed BR shot equal a faster BR killtime than the DMR? If so then the DMR isnt strong enough. It should beat the BR in perfect and non-perfect comparison tests

Also remove the bloom already. Its completely unneccesary if aim assist is low enough on the weapon (or just reduce red-reticle range again although this isn't very intuitive/doesn't make much sense)

• Upvote (+1) 5

Why do we even need that many utility weapons?

(Inb4 promoting individual play styles)

Why do we even need that many utility weapons?

(Inb4 promoting individual play styles)

Don't confuse Utility weapon w/ Precision weapons. 

If you are referring to DMR/BR/LR/Pistol then I see why a lot of people are complaining.

Personally, I think the BR/Pistol is a good balance. BR is the definitive average weapon all around, whereas the Pistol has a faster kill time with low aim assist (would be better as a 4sk). The Light Rifle is near useless up close but is extremely powerful for setting up power positions due to its amazing power at range.

The DMR, in my opinion, is fairly useless. It isn't really powerful up close or at a range and I don't see its purpose/involvement in the sandbox.